2022-2023 Kansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (KHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to reply to me, I really appreciate the helpful advice :)

Would you also recommend brushing up on politics surrounding healthcare?

Out of my cycle, I loved interviewing here the most. They definitely take what you’re saying and lead it that way - at least from my experience. I talked about policy and health care in terms of my interests and the questions were based upon that. It was a good discussion and they also asked me questions to assess who I was as a person but it was actually insightful and not trite.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the waitlist! WHOOO! But now I got a tough decision to make between my state's DO school and this....
Can someone run by me the Pros and Cons of the school? This would really help me decide and hopefully others.
From what I see, the
Pros:
FAFSA eligible
New building and resources. I looked at some photos/videos and I know I will vibe there perfectly
Wichita is really cool and affordable
Students really love the admin and I got good vibes during my interview
virtual learning and more modern approach to learning and being 21st century physician
Cons:
$2500!!! deposit
Pre accredited with inaugural class so no match data, but newer schools like ICOM are doing good so high chance KCOM will be same or better
No info about research opportunities for more competitive residencies
Rotation sites are rural and are dominantly outpatient/clinic with very few or none at all level 1/2 trauma centers. But I think they are working on that
For me, its a 12 hour drive home to visit family

If I missed something in either of these lists, please let me know and I will edit it in! :)

Last edited:
Accepted off the waitlist! WHOOO! But now I got a tough decision to make between my state's DO school and this....
Can someone run by me the Pros and Cons of the school? This would really help me decide and hopefully others.
From what I see, the
Pros:
FAFSA eligible
New building and resources. I looked at some photos/videos and I know I will vibe there perfectly
virtual learning and more modern approach to learning and being 21st century physician
Cons:
Pre accredited with inaugural class so no match data, but newer schools like ICOM are doing good so high chance KCOM will be same or better
Rotation sites are rural and are dominantly outpatient/clinic with very few or none at all level 1/2 trauma centers. But I think they are working on that

If I missed something in either of these lists, please let me know! :)

That’s an interesting point about ICOM doing well - I’m not sure how it translated here but I’m interested in hearing more. I’m also between acceptances. The only thing holding me back is the lack of board pass/residency match data, and the uncertain clinical rotations bc it’s a new school. It’s just hard taking a risk when there’s time, money, and future opportunities on the line. I really want to say yes though

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s an interesting point about ICOM doing well - I’m not sure how it translated here but I’m interested in hearing more. I’m also between acceptances. The only thing holding me back is the lack of board pass/residency match data, and the uncertain clinical rotations bc it’s a new school. It’s just hard taking a risk when there’s time, money, and future opportunities on the line. I really want to say yes though
Yeah man. It does feel like a big risk although I am really confident KCOM is going to do well. I have scoured enough SDN threads to know what the seasoned SDN members would advise me. Plus I already signed a lease and paid the 1K deposit for my state's DO school and would hate to lose that to pay another 2.5K for KCOM. But I know I would love Wichita and KCOM. I can really see myself studying there. Losing X amount of money to go there would not be a big deal looking back as a physician. But what really matters is what kind of physician I end up as. I just don't have enough data to see the outcomes of the match. If only I was 5 years younger and got into KCOM 5 years later lol with the data to make the jump.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah man. It does feel like a big risk although I am really confident KCOM is going to do well. I have scoured enough SDN threads to know what the seasoned SDN members would advise me. Plus I already signed a lease and paid the 1K deposit for my state's DO school and would hate to lose that to pay another 2.5K for KCOM. But I know I would love Wichita and KCOM. I can really see myself studying there. Losing X amount of money to go there would not be a big deal looking back as a physician. But what really matters is what kind of physician I end up as. I just don't have enough data to see the outcomes of the match. If only I was 5 years younger and got into KCOM 5 years later lol with the data to make the jump.
It kind of sucks cuz this isn’t the best advice but…you just have to go with your gut! there is no right or wrong answer as long as you’re happy and your mental health will be as good as it can be for the next four years :)

It kind of sucks cuz this isn’t the best advice but…you just have to go with your gut! there is no right or wrong answer as long as you’re happy and your mental health will be as good as it can be for the next four years :)
lolaaa.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just curious what the timeline for a decision is for this school. When should I expect to hear back?

From what I see, the
Pros:
FAFSA eligible
Cons:
$2500!!! deposit

If I missed something in either of these lists, please let me know and I will edit it in! :)
Let us know what you decide. I still have no acceptances, but if all goes well, I will also be torn between kansascom and my local school. I loved everything about KCOM, and I'm actually not worried about the fact that they are new. They seem really reassuring in that aspect. It's more about being closer to home.

Does anyone know if they will be offering additional interview dates after the 3/10 one? The schedule page says until May 22nd, however, the last date that they have is tomorrow.

Out of my cycle, I loved interviewing here the most. They definitely take what you’re saying and lead it that way - at least from my experience. I talked about policy and health care in terms of my interests and the questions were based upon that. It was a good discussion and they also asked me questions to assess who I was as a person but it was actually insightful and not trite.
Thank you for the advice and your time :)

Does anyone know if they will be offering additional interview dates after the 3/10 one? The schedule page says until May 22nd, however, the last date that they have is tomorrow.
No clue but the admitted students day is late April so they might have been wrapping it up for the most part before then? Not confirmed tho just speculation

Does anyone know if they allow split payments on the deposit?? That’s a pretty hefty sum to ask for all at once.

Does anyone know if they allow split payments on the deposit?? That’s a pretty hefty sum to ask for all at once.
+1 I don’t know how they’ll expect people that received fee assistance go pay that kind of money..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

For anybody wondering Admissions confirmed today 3/10/23 was the last interview of their cycle.

Good luck to you all though! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Let us know what you decide. I still have no acceptances, but if all goes well, I will also be torn between kansascom and my local school. I loved everything about KCOM, and I'm actually not worried about the fact that they are new. They seem really reassuring in that aspect. It's more about being closer to home.
Hey bro. I wanted to let you know I have made my decision to withdraw my acceptance to KCOM. I had to really take a look back on what matters most to me in the world to decide. I am going to go to my state's med school because of my family. I know I can become a well respected, successful physician from KCOM. But deep down I know I will be a little empty missing my family and community.

I wish you luck on your eventual acceptance my man!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
it was def hard but i think i am withdrawing my A here too.
I already paid a $2000 non-nonrefundable deposit to another DO school.

$$$$$ in tuition, AACOMAS/AMCAS applications, secondaries, interview travel, then you finally get into one medical school so you pay the deposit to secure the seat. The whole time the ADCOM: "we want to make sure you find a great fit for your 4 years of medical school" But as soon as you find the "best" fit for yourself and its not their school:
season 4 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

XD

Hey bro. I wanted to let you know I have made my decision to withdraw my acceptance to KCOM. I had to really take a look back on what matters most to me in the world to decide. I am going to go to my state's med school because of my family. I know I can become a well respected, successful physician from KCOM. But deep down I know I will be a little empty missing my family and community.

I wish you luck on your eventual acceptance my man!
Thanks for the update and the encouragement! I believe I have come to the same conclusion as you these past few days. Good luck in med school man!

I’ve also withdrawn my acceptance, good luck y’all!

Any news from those interviewed on 03/08?

Last edited by a moderator:
I interviewed on 3/3 and still haven’t heard anything. Is that a bad sign?

I interviewed on 3/3 and still haven’t heard anything. Is that a bad sign?
I don’t think so. During my interview they implied that they were going to look at all of these interview days together, including the ones from last week. I think they just wanted to sit down and meet about everyone all at once.

A a couple weeks ago. Interview early Feb.

A a couple weeks ago. Interview early Feb.
Congrats! If you don’t mind, may I ask your stats? Is there an official FB/Group Me for those accepted? I wonder if the class is almost full since 03/10 was the last day of interview. Thank you!

Congrats! If you don’t mind, may I ask your stats? Is there an official FB/Group Me for those accepted? I wonder if the class is almost full since 03/10 was the last day of interview. Thank you!
3.3UGPA, 3.9 SMP, 509 MCAT. There is an unofficial GroupMe w/ 40-50 people in it.

I have an interview scheduled on 4/7. Is that for this cycle or for the next one?

So they’re still giving out II? I thought someone said that admissions said the last one was in mid-March?

03/01 interviewee here, in limbo still. Did any of y'all get an email titled "Missing 23-24 FAFSA?" that tells you to get a head start on financial aid even though your application is still under review?

I don't understand why wouldn't they just pull people? What's the point of the WL then?
From my understanding, when it happened with ACOM last year. They didn’t feel the students that were on the waitlist were “good enough” candidates and they wanted more options. Some of those late interviewers were still waitlisted, but a good number got accepted

03/01 interviewee here, in limbo still. Did any of y'all get an email titled "Missing 23-24 FAFSA?" that tells you to get a head start on financial aid even though your application is still under review?
I applied even tho my app is under review. Not sure how sensible it was, but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I got a similar email about setting up a time to talk to a financial aid advisor even though my app was still under review.

From my understanding, when it happened with ACOM last year. They didn’t feel the students that were on the waitlist were “good enough” candidates and they wanted more options. Some of those late interviewers were still waitlisted, but a good number got accepted
Yeah, but if they feel like that they could politely reject instead of keeping people hoping for WL movement

Yeah, but if they feel like that they could politely reject instead of keeping people hoping for WL movement
I 100% agree, or at least communicate it better. I’m one of the ones still in limbo from the 3/3 interview 🥲