2022-2023 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the confirmation screen when I submitted the form earlier today, but haven’t gotten a confirmation email 🙈
I guess that’s what I meant lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students on here that can talk a bit about the campus preference waitlist and their experience trying to move over to Knoxville from Harrogate?

I interviewed today and just want to say that this was the most enjoyable and stress-free of any interview I’ve been on and the informational session is super helpful. Plenty of time throughout the whole interview day to get all your questions answered too. So for anyone with upcoming interviews here, do not fret! Good luck

Reactions: 5 users
So is an April interview probably for a WL? 😅
I wouldnt say its a waitlist because people have been waitlisted before my interview and I got an A! there is still hope! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to LMU DCOM 2 days ago. I got an email ab submitting a campus preference which will be considered after paying the deposit. How likely am I to be able to attend the Knoxville campus if I submit the deposit and preference form ASAP? If the Knoxville campus is full, how likely is it for people to withdraw and for there to be availability later? Just want some insight before I pay the deposit

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted my secondary a few weeks ago... II still being sent out or am I'm screwed?

I just got accepted to LMU DCOM 2 days ago. I got an email ab submitting a campus preference which will be considered after paying the deposit. How likely am I to be able to attend the Knoxville campus if I submit the deposit and preference form ASAP? If the Knoxville campus is full, how likely is it for people to withdraw and for there to be availability later? Just want some insight before I pay the deposit
I’m in the exact same boat and wondering the same thing. I spoke to the admissions office and was told there is a chance a spot at Knoxville can open up closer to the end of the cycle in March/April. They will notify you via email to confirm whether you still want to switch campuses. Wanted to speak to a current student who’s been through the process but haven’t heard anything as of yet to get a better estimate on time

When did you interview if you dont mind me asking?

Submitted my secondary a few weeks ago... II still being sent out or am I'm screwed?
Usually submitting by October is late and submitting by early January is considered very late so if you submitted by late January/early February, you're probably not going to get an II unless your stats and EC's are way above the school's averages and expectations

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
So can someone explain how campus placement works? I think I would only consider LMU DCOM if I was at the Knoxville campus (my SO is a grad student and could attend Uni of Tennessee and we could remain together). Do you only find out where after the deposit is paid? And how much is the deposit? I am lucky to already have an A elsewhere but am still interested in LMU DCOM. Just want to know the logistics! TIA!

So can someone explain how campus placement works? I think I would only consider LMU DCOM if I was at the Knoxville campus (my SO is a grad student and could attend Uni of Tennessee and we could remain together). Do you only find out where after the deposit is paid? And how much is the deposit? I am lucky to already have an A elsewhere but am still interested in LMU DCOM. Just want to know the logistics! TIA!
I'm in the same boat lol

From what I remember on the interview day, they stated they will do everything they can to get you to your preferred campus location. With that being said, it seems EVERYONE that got accepted wants to be in Knoxville lol. In my opinion, there might be some campus location waitlist movement, but there are many others that also want a spot at knoxville.

Reactions: 2 users
The two locations are only 70 miles by car apart, so even if you are at Harrogate you can see each other every weekend easily

From what I remember on the interview day, they stated they will do everything they can to get you to your preferred campus location. With that being said, it seems EVERYONE that got accepted wants to be in Knoxville lol. In my opinion, there might be some campus location waitlist movement, but there are many others that also want a spot at knoxville.
Yes it definitely seems that way haha. Honestly I’m okay if I stay at Harrogate because it means less distractions and lots of hiking in the local area on the weekends. We’ll see what happens. I’m sure in a few weeks more spots at Knoxville will open up for any recent A’s

Yes it definitely seems that way haha. Honestly I’m okay if I stay at Harrogate because it means less distractions and lots of hiking in the local area on the weekends. We’ll see what happens. I’m sure in a few weeks more spots at Knoxville will open up for any recent A’s
Yeah if I get off the waitlist, I’d be more than happy being at harrogate haha. I hope everyone gets to where they wanna be!

I'll be interviewing with LMU-DCOM on April 14th! I keep seeing in the thread that they have a high post II acceptance rate. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm a little worried with my interview being so late in the cycle.

I'll be interviewing with LMU-DCOM on April 14th! I keep seeing in the thread that they have a high post II acceptance rate. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm a little worried with my interview being so late in the cycle.
I heard that only applies to pre-February II’s so sadly I don’t think that post-II acceptance rate may apply here :(

• Care
Did anybody receive an acceptance, even though you felt like your interview wasn't that great? I think I had good answers to my questions, but just didn't feel like I made a good connection with the interviewers.
I was accepted and personally that was my experience, I felt it was such a dry interview and I got no feedback or even a vibe from them

Any current students on here that can talk a bit about the campus preference waitlist and their experience trying to move over to Knoxville from Harrogate?
I got accepted 1/30 and put my preference for Knoxville immediately, a day later I got put into Harrogate. Got an email 2 days ago saying I could have the spot at Knoxville but declined it. So it seems like over time there are spots opening but you need to email Maria Harris and let her know what you want. I personally stayed at Harrogate bc housing is tough to find so I rather just confirm my housing early on instead of being unsure

I heard that only applies to pre-February II’s so sadly I don’t think that post-II acceptance rate may apply here :(
Sadness. Thank you for the response! Fingers crossed I get an A or WL 🤞

I got accepted 1/30 and put my preference for Knoxville immediately, a day later I got put into Harrogate. Got an email 2 days ago saying I could have the spot at Knoxville but declined it. So it seems like over time there are spots opening but you need to email Maria Harris and let her know what you want. I personally stayed at Harrogate bc housing is tough to find so I rather just confirm my housing early on instead of being unsure
Yes housing is the biggest issue with Knoxville. My advice is if you are given a chance to switch to Knoxville before the end of April then try to switch. The closer to the start date the harder it’ll be to find housing at both campuses. We had students switch to Knoxville around May only not to find housing and scrambling to get switched back to Harrogate. Students had to stay at hotels during the first month b/c of this.

I recommend to be as stable as possible before starting classes. It’ll be hard enough w/o all that stuff. I think y’all will start mid to late July with orientation. Except for the anatomy boot campers, y’all start early July.

Good Luck everyone!!

Fourth year LMU-DCOM Student here (from Harrogate Campus) biding my time til match day. Happy to help with any questions you guys have.

Reactions: 4 users
Fourth year LMU-DCOM Student here (from Harrogate Campus) biding my time til match day. Happy to help with any questions you guys have.
How have you liked your time at LMU-DCOM? Do you feel well prepared for residency and matching into your field of interest?

Are you happy you attended that harrogate campus or would you have rather attended Knox? Also how does LMU support those wanting to specialize in more “competitive” residencies?

Good luck during match day!

Are you happy you attended that harrogate campus or would you have rather attended Knox? Also how does LMU support those wanting to specialize in more “competitive” residencies?

Good luck during match day!
I interviewed pretty early on and chose the Harrogate campus over Knox. Knoxville was brand new at the time, and I didn't want to go to a brand new campus. I also liked the college campus feel of Harrogate instead of the renovated office park setting in Knoxville. Harrogate/Middlesboro is extremely cheap to live in and it was nice not having to worry about traffic at all. I'm outdoorsy, so I enjoyed the tremendous hiking nearby and also participated in on campus intramural sports and club events. I felt like when I was there the Harrogate student life was a bit more built up than it was at Knoxville. I'd choose the Harrogate campus again personally. Most Harrogate students make ~monthly trips to Knoxville to do stuff there on non test weekends.
If you're bringing a partner to LMU then the knoxville area will obviously have more job opportunities than Harrogate but I know several spouses who worked at LMU. Another potential benefit of the Knoxville campus is not having to move for clinical rotations between 2nd-3rd years since there are several sites based out of Knoxville. Those core sites are extremely competitive so it's by no means a sure thing.

I applied to a non-primary care specialty (moderate competitiveness) and felt supported during the process. If you're anticipating wanting to go into a surgical subspecialty you will be fighting an uphill battle at LMU or probably any DO school, especially now that step 1 is P/F.

• Love
How have you liked your time at LMU-DCOM? Do you feel well prepared for residency and matching into your field of interest?
It's been a good experience for the most part, and I'm glad I had the chance to go here. I felt like I had a good foundation from my first two years (didactic years) on campus. There's a ton of outside resources that you can use to supplement your learning (my fav was boards and beyond). Third year experiences vary widely depending on which core site you are assigned to- someone who is assigned to the Memphis site is gonna have a very different experience than somebody at the Harlan, KY site. There are pros and cons to each site. A lot of med school is how much you are willing to put into it. Your fourth year is mostly electives.

I feel prepared for residency for the most part. I was at a smaller, more rural site for my third year so there is some apprehension about transitioning to a larger University Hospital setting for residency. I did well on boards and audition rotations and am anticipating matching into a non primary care specialty.

Any advice for us WL peeps? Either from personal experience or from friends at LMU DCOM

I interviewed pretty early on and chose the Harrogate campus over Knox. Knoxville was brand new at the time, and I didn't want to go to a brand new campus. I also liked the college campus feel of Harrogate instead of the renovated office park setting in Knoxville. Harrogate/Middlesboro is extremely cheap to live in and it was nice not having to worry about traffic at all. I'm outdoorsy, so I enjoyed the tremendous hiking nearby and also participated in on campus intramural sports and club events. I felt like when I was there the Harrogate student life was a bit more built up than it was at Knoxville. I'd choose the Harrogate campus again personally. Most Harrogate students make ~monthly trips to Knoxville to do stuff there on non test weekends.
If you're bringing a partner to LMU then the knoxville area will obviously have more job opportunities than Harrogate but I know several spouses who worked at LMU. Another potential benefit of the Knoxville campus is not having to move for clinical rotations between 2nd-3rd years since there are several sites based out of Knoxville. Those core sites are extremely competitive so it's by no means a sure thing.

I applied to a non-primary care specialty (moderate competitiveness) and felt supported during the process. If you're anticipating wanting to go into a surgical subspecialty you will be fighting an uphill battle at LMU or probably any DO school, especially now that step 1 is P/F.
For those that do want to specialize in surgery, how is it best to achieve that as a DO student? Also, did you take the COMLEX and USMLE exams?

For those that do want to specialize in surgery, how is it best to achieve that as a DO student? Also, did you take the COMLEX and USMLE exams?
I took both step 1 and level 1 back when they were scored but only took level 2- no step 2 for me. I didn't apply anything surgery related but you'll need to do well in your DCOM classes, most likely take and do well on both step 2 and level 2 (not sure how advantageous taking step 1 is anymore since it's P/F), and participate in lots of research. If you're interested in gen surg, ortho, or ob/gyn, those all have DO match rates above 50% (per 2022 NRMP data) and DCOM sends a few into those specialties every year. It's challenging but attainable. If you're looking into something more specialized like urology, ophthalmology, plastics, neurosurg, it's gonna be very very tough as a DO student...

Any advice for us WL peeps? Either from personal experience or from friends at LMU DCOM
I had a friend who didn't get off wait list until mid June. There's a lot of time between now and then to get off the WL.

I took both step 1 and level 1 back when they were scored but only took level 2- no step 2 for me. I didn't apply anything surgery related but you'll need to do well in your DCOM classes, most likely take and do well on both step 2 and level 2 (not sure how advantageous taking step 1 is anymore since it's P/F), and participate in lots of research. If you're interested in gen surg, ortho, or ob/gyn, those all have DO match rates above 50% (per 2022 NRMP data) and DCOM sends a few into those specialties every year. It's challenging but attainable. If you're looking into something more specialized like urology, ophthalmology, plastics, neurosurg, it's gonna be very very tough as a DO student...
What about a field like gastroenterology? Is that pretty competitive/challenging to get into as a DO student? I didn’t know Urology was as competitive as it is, but plastic, neuro, I’ve heard a lot about those.

What about a field like gastroenterology? Is that pretty competitive/challenging to get into as a DO student? I didn’t know Urology was as competitive as it is, but plastic, neuro, I’ve heard a lot about those.
Gastroenterology is a fellowship you do after an internal medicine residency.

Wow thank you so much!! I’m glad it sounds like LMU has been a positive experience. Silly question, but is it attainable to have an older dog during med school? I have dogs at home and I can’t imagine life without one during med school, so I was thinking about adopting one if I get in HAHA. But, I feel like I’ve heard mixed things when it comes to having a pet.

Last edited:
Wow thank you so much!! I’m glad it sounds like LMU has been a positive experience. Silly question, but is it attainable to have an older dog during med school? I have dogs at home and I can’t imagine life without one during med school, so I was thinking about adopting one if I get in HAHA. But, I feel like I’ve heard mixed things when it comes to having a pet.
It will be easy during your first two years when you are mostly studying at home. Much harder during clinical rotations- you'll be gone most of the day and potentially be moving to several different cities.

• Love
It will be easy during your first two years when you are mostly studying at home. Much harder during clinical rotations- you'll be gone most of the day and potentially be moving to several different cities.
Do you take level 2 and level 3 during year 3&4? When do you study for these exams if you’re doing rotations mostly? I guess you get some time off maybe.

Do you take level 2 and level 3 during year 3&4? When do you study for these exams if you’re doing rotations mostly? I guess you get some time off maybe.
Level 3 is typically taken during residency. level 2 I took in between 3rd and 4th year. You get a month off to study.

How much dedicated study time did you get for Level 1/step 1? Thank you
About 8 weeks or so. The first couple of weeks have mandatory activities like ACLS training. It is sufficient time now that step 1/level 1 is P/F.