2023-2024 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Kansas Secondary Essay Prompts: Answer the ones that apply to you; all will answer 1 through 5.
"Provide relatively brief (1,000 character maximum) answers to the following questions."

1. Describe your health care experiences that involved direct exposure to physicians' clinical duties and how they have shaped your desire to apply to medical school.
2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
3. Beyond academics (grades and MCATs), describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge.
4. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.
5. Patients come from various backgrounds. Please describe how you will engage with patients whose backgrounds may differ from yours.

6. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?
7. If there are academic discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your application, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.
8. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program. Students in the MD program are considered and expected to participate full-time in MD program requirements and accompanying activities (e.g., service, research, etc.). Our experience over multiple decades has informed the SOM that participation in outside activities (e.g., employment, other degree programs, etc.) is not conducive to successfully navigating our curriculum and overall school requirements. Failing to meet program expectations can place the student at risk for administrative action, including dismissal.
9. If you are no longer a full-time student, briefly describe your current employment, community, medical, and/or educational activities.

10. for Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, note any relevant academic, employment, and personal experiences that enhance your ability to be a better physician.
11. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
@chilly_md
secondary for this cycle

1. Describe your health care experiences that involved direct exposure to physicians' clinical duties and how they have shaped your desire to apply to medical school.
2. Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time.
3. Beyond academics (grades and MCATs), describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge.
4. Give an example of what you have done to make your community a better place to live.
5. Patients come from various backgrounds. Please describe how you will engage with patients whose backgrounds may differ from yours.
6. If you are not a Kansas resident, what is your specific interest in applying to the University of Kansas School of Medicine?
7. If there are academic discrepancies in your application that have not been explained in your application, use this space to clarify. Examples may include unexplained gaps in time, multiple undergraduate institutions attended, multiple course withdrawals, inconsistent academic performance, inconsistency between academic performance and MCAT scores.
8. If you are currently enrolled, or plan to be enrolled during the next academic year in a graduate or professional degree program, please describe your status within the program and your intention to complete the program. You must also request a letter from your graduate program advisor or from the dean of your professional school. This letter must include acknowledgement of your application to medical school and a description of your status in the program. Students in the MD program are considered and expected to participate full-time in MD program requirements and accompanying activities (e.g., service, research, etc.). Our experience over multiple decades has informed the SOM that participation in outside activities (e.g., employment, other degree programs, etc.) is not conducive to successfully navigating our curriculum and overall school requirements. Failing to meet program expectations can place the student at risk for administrative action, including dismissal.
9. If you are no longer a full-time student, briefly describe your current employment, community, medical, and/or educational activities.
10. for Repeat Applicants Only: Since your last application, note any relevant academic, employment, and personal experiences that enhance your ability to be a better physician.
11. For Combined MD/PhD Program Applicants: Do you also want to be considered as an "MD-only" applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
The admissions office holds a lot of programming to help applicants, and they strongly prefer anyone who has spent significant time in Kansas (see question 6).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from KU about being OOS and needing significant ties, is that email their way of giving me the R?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was included in the secondary invite email
I'm an MD/PhD applicant and the secondary invite email was pretty specific to MD/PhD, so I can't really help y'all there, sorry!

I got an email from KU about being OOS and needing significant ties, is that email their way of giving me the R?
received a similar email saying that I have to review the following to determine how interested I am. Is it an R? because my email then said, "if you wish to continue.."

received a similar email saying that I have to review the following to determine how interested I am. Is it an R? because my email then said, "if you wish to continue.."
I understood this as just being a heads up like, "We really favor in-state apps, but you can still apply if you think you have a chance". I know people that have gotten As here without having any ties so its still possible to get in, just less likely

Reactions: 1 users
for the question "Describe examples of leadership experience in which you have significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes, or contributed to group efforts over time."

It's only 1000 characters, so ideally, should we be going for breadth or depth on this one? It says "examples" so I don't know if I should cover, say, three experiences briefly without much detail, or describe one anecdote that hits one or two of those categories.

I understood this as just being a heads up like, "We really favor in-state apps, but you can still apply if you think you have a chance". I know people that have gotten As here without having any ties so its still possible to get in, just less likely
What would constitute having ties? other than the obvious having lived there in some manner/ being born there/ working there. For instance, if I have a large portion of my extended family living there / spent my entire life going to Kansas.

What would constitute having ties? other than the obvious having lived there in some manner/ being born there/ working there. For instance, if I have a large portion of my extended family living there / spent my entire life going to Kansas.
that seems like a significant tie to me if you can portray a genuine connection to the state is how I think about a significant tie

For the "select an interview campus" should I choose the campus site for my top choice or choose the site that is closest to me geographically (convenience)?

Curious how OOS folks are answering the campus preference question? It's also 1000 characters.

I feel like that counts, I was born there but I would argue your tie is stronger than mine.

I had this same question... How did you end up answering it?
If you are OOS and have no ties, I don't think you will need anywhere close to 1000 characters to answer this question.
Spend a little time reading about the two branches and looking up what's up in the two cities and go from there

How long did it take you folks to be marked as complete?

I submitted my secondary on July 24th, but according to my portal I wasn't complete until yesterday. I wonder why!

What are the chances of getting accepted as IS with MCAT in 500-505 range, ORM? Should I even apply?
Probably worth applying. I mean the IS acceptance rate is over 50%, it’s always worth a shot (and the interview here matters A LOT)

Just realized I never saw the secondary email from July 18th because I wasn’t verified yet at the time… am I doomed? My parents live there so I have very strong ties!

Just realized I never saw the secondary email from July 18th because I wasn’t verified yet at the time… am I doomed? My parents live there so I have very strong ties!
If you have strong ties, definitely submit. You aren't doomed IMO.