2022-2023 Missouri, Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @notmycupoftea for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Missouri, Columbia Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. (1200 characters)

2. Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. (1200 characters)

3. Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.)
1) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine. (2000 characters)

4. Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your medical school application?
(This question is optional, and if your application wasn't greatly impacted by the pandemic, then don't feel like you have to answer.) [check yes/no]
If yes:
Please think about how the following were impacted, but do not limit your response to these considerations:
a. Volunteering experiences
b. Health care experiences (shadowing and direct patient care experiences)
c. Academics and MCAT (pass fail courses, online courses, etc.)
(2000 characters)

5. Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine? (check yes/no)
[If yes] In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (3000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just received an OOS form. Submitted 5/31, Verified 6/8.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Questions:
1. Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. (1200 characters)

2. Please let us know information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors (programs, people, mission, geography ect.) that led you to apply. (1200 characters)

3. Please discuss (e.g. using specific personal traits, education, life experiences, etc.)
1) how you will add to the overall diversity of the medical school and the practice of medicine AND
2) how you will contribute to an inclusive learning environment at the medical school and the practice of medicine. (2000 characters)

4. Has COVID-19 significantly impacted your medical school application?
(This question is optional, and if your application wasn't greatly impacted by the pandemic, then don't feel like you have to answer.) [check yes/no]
If yes:
Please think about how the following were impacted, but do not limit your response to these considerations:
a. Volunteering experiences
b. Health care experiences (shadowing and direct patient care experiences)
c. Academics and MCAT (pass fail courses, online courses, etc.)
(2000 characters)

5. Have you previously applied to the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine? (check yes/no)
[If yes] In the space provided below, please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief application history (including when you first applied and the number of application attempts). Please describe in detail the ways in which this application is superior to your previous application(s). (3000 characters)

How are you guys approaching the additional information essay considering its not optional and there is already a why us, and diversity (inclusivity leaves room for adversity as well) prompt? I am not sure what to talk about really.

Last edited:
How are you guys approaching the additional information essay considering its not optional and there is already a why us, and diversity prompt? I am not sure what to talk about really.
I had an essay about dealing with adversity that was completely separate from my diversity essay, so I used that.

I had an essay about dealing with adversity that was completely separate from my diversity essay, so I used that.
Oh thats a good idea! Unfortunately the story in my adversity essay fit really well into the inclusivity part for the prompt so I am not sure where to go from here.

OOS applicant - just received an email that my OOS request was received and it could take up to 4 weeks to review and make a decision ://

OOS applicant - just received an email that my OOS request was received and it could take up to 4 weeks to review and make a decision ://
same!

OOS, just got the pre secondary R after submitting the OOS form. Goodluck everyone!

OOS secondary received just now, MD-PhD. I submitted the OOS form in early-to-mid July

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who submitted an OOS form in early august still not heard back?

II IS - Check your emails!

Any updates from anyone?
Congrats! They’re still giving me the silent treatment 😂 When were you complete?
My secondary was complete 8/26, IS, stats similar to their averages. Hbu? Edit: same on the silent treatment..

Any updates from anyone?

My secondary was complete 8/26, IS, stats similar to their averages. Hbu? Edit: same on the silent treatment..
IS, submitted 8/5 but marked complete on 8/12, 508, 3.92

Any idea when we might hear back?
Based on last year there was a lul after the first set of invites, then they sent some Oct 25th where they processed early july to early august and then nothing till Nov 12 when they were processing early September apps. Hoping we hear something next week 🥲

Based on last year there was a lul after the first set of invites, then they sent some Oct 25th where they processed early july to early august and then nothing till Nov 12 when they were processing early September apps. Hoping we hear something next week 🥲

Sorry I should have been more specific. Any idea when we’ll hear back post interview

IS II!!! So excited! My first MD II!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For those wondering, you call to schedule your interview when invited, and the earliest options they gave were the first and second week of November. I believe Mizzou interviews until February, so there is still plenty of time for y’all to get invited!

Reactions: 1 users
For those wondering, you call to schedule your interview when invited, and the earliest options they gave were the first and second week of November. I believe Mizzou interviews until February, so there is still plenty of time for y’all to get invited!
When was your secondary marked complete?

When were you complete? Congrats!
Thanks! Complete email received in late August. States wise MCAT slightly above their average, GPA slightly below, strong ECs, IS, LM ~70, non-trad.

Anybody know if there are any acceptances out yet? Rolling admissions?

Thanks! Complete email received in late August. States wise MCAT slightly above their average, GPA slightly below, strong ECs, IS, LM ~70, non-trad.

They say that they send acceptances at the end of each month from October through January. Nothing in February and then in March there should be acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. They said to expect an email update at the end of each month if you are not accepted yet.

They say that they send acceptances at the end of each month from October through January. Nothing in February and then in March there should be acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. They said to expect an email update at the end of each month if you are not accepted yet.
Ugh, brutal.. That means I'll be waiting most of next month (hopefully because the alternative blows) since I'm interviewing in early November. But I guess it could be worse..

I was accepted 10/17! IS

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Is it too early in the cycle to send an update letter/email to admissions?
I don't personally think so. It's a pretty standard time to send them if you have significant updates and submitted early in the cycle.

Do they send rejections during the cycle or is it just at the end? Got a “status unchanged” email regarding admission status post interview.

Do they send rejections during the cycle or is it just at the end? Got a “status unchanged” email regarding admission status post interview.
At my interview they said they send 3 options. Rejected, unchanged or accepted.

When was your secondary complete?
Early September-ish ~ they made me do the OOS state form and then sent the actual secondary like a week later then I took about a week to do it

anyone know how long after interview they wait to send out decisions?

So they admit a small batch (like 10 or so) every month and then the rest (like half their spots) at the end of March. They accept 128 and alternate list 128.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if they send out Rs after interview before the major As in March?