2022-2023 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don’t mind would you share your stats? I also interviewed on the 7th and I got out on the alternate list. I’m a little confused, is there a waitlist or is it just “Accepted” “Rejected” or “Alternate”?
MCAT 509 sgpa 3.6x cgpa 3.6x Hopefully this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance today at KPCOM. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, im interviewing this week and was wondering what types of questions do they ask?

If they have last minute II cancellations they will call the next one on the list. They don't like to email and waste time.

How do the M2s in this forum feel about the grading system? I noticed that it’s not pass/fail during pre-clinical years and that there’s a letter grade system with a GPA. How does that reflect on residency apps?

I'm sure 99% of my classmates will agree that the grading system sucks. Life would be 100000% better if we were P/F. Either way, I feel like as long as you don't remediate any classes, you'll be fine. There are way more important things to a residency app than pre-clinical GPA (i.e P on Step 1, high score on Step 2, clinical rotation grades, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
How much do they support students for USMLE? There is some chatter they don't favor students taking it

I’ve heard across multiple schools that actual grades are much better to have than p/f when it comes to applying to residencies. Obviously most students are going to be able to pass a class since they made it into medical school so that doesn’t really tell the residency programs much about the student. It might seem less stressful to students but ultimately it’s not in their benefit to have p/f. That’s just my opinion I’m sure other ppl disagree but I would definitely attend a med school that does real grades instead of p/f.

Well, if the residency programs don't look at the preclinical grades then P/F would suffice . But if they help in board exams then grades may be desirable to motivate mastery of the material

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve heard across multiple schools that actual grades are much better to have than p/f when it comes to applying to residencies. Obviously most students are going to be able to pass a class since they made it into medical school so that doesn’t really tell the residency programs much about the student. It might seem less stressful to students but ultimately it’s not in their benefit to have p/f. That’s just my opinion I’m sure other ppl disagree but I would definitely attend a med school that does real grades instead of p/f.
that's why you're graded heavily during clerkships because pre-clerkship grades are just an indicator that you can get good grades by putting your nose in your anki cards for a couple of days. doesn't really tell you anything about the student as they all had high enough GPAs to get in.

I was wondering what the interview format is and how long the interview typically lasts?

Well, if the residency programs don't look at the preclinical grades then P/F would suffice . But if they help in board exams then grades may be desirable to motivate mastery of the material

I think each party of medical education is trying to cover its base, for which they're accountable to one step higher authority. Some might have been trying to use harsher metrics than others. I believe, although a school opts for using the P/F grades, it still uses the actual GPAs when ranking its students. Otherwise, I wonder how the dean's letter would be prepared.

However, the grading system of NSU is a bit, well let's say "competitive" than at most other medical schools. This is what I found from the student hnadbook. As you can see, a "B" letter grade starts at 83%, and an "A" letter grade at 95%, which are jacked up from the regular 80% and 90% correspondingly. It might seem attainable on paper but I already know by experience how it sometimes hurts the student especially when taking graduate level courses becuase the curve might not always be working to your favor.

1679338775362.png

How do the M2s in this forum feel about the grading system? I noticed that it’s not pass/fail during pre-clinical years and that there’s a letter grade system with a GPA. How does that reflect on residency apps?

I'm sure 99% of my classmates will agree that the grading system sucks. Life would be 100000% better if we were P/F. Either way, I feel like as long as you don't remediate any classes, you'll be fine. There are way more important things to a residency app than pre-clinical GPA (i.e P on Step 1, high score on Step 2, clinical rotation grades, etc.)
I doubt 99% agree that the grading system sucks. First year Gpa of 3.96 ranked in the top 15%. The 2025 class is pact with high achievers.

that's why you're graded heavily during clerkships because pre-clerkship grades are just an indicator that you can get good grades by putting your nose in your anki cards for a couple of days. doesn't really tell you anything about the student as they all had high enough GPAs to get in.

Clerkships being heavily graded also means they'd be highly subjective and thus full of bias. I'd rather put my nose into Anki cards than into you know where of your future preceptors just to get a good recommendation.

I doubt 99% agree that the grading system sucks. First year Gpa of 3.96 ranked in the top 15%. The 2025 class is pact with high achievers.

From your point of view, can you rank the difficulty of the first-year courses in descending order? Also, which ones prepared you the most toward Step-1 and/or Level-1?

Can a current student share this year's residency match list?

ii received, weirdest thing though they send me a link to have in person or virtual but in person had no dates available so booked virtual. shame because I live 20 mins from the nova campus

can anyone give me some insight on the interview format? Like how does the day go from 8am -3 pm?

thanks

Please go through the threads . You will see all our feedback. The interview format varies greatly depending upon the interviewers. My interviewers had access to transcripts and secondary application.

The interview experience may also differ depending on your choice of the interview format, i.e. in-person vs. virtual online. If not strapped for cash, I'd prefer to attend the interview in person to feel the overall vibe of the campus, students, and environment especially if you aren't familiar with south Florida.

Clerkships being heavily graded also means they'd be highly subjective and thus full of bias. I'd rather put my nose into Anki cards than into you know where of your future preceptors just to get a good recommendation.
agree to disagree. It's a balance between shelf exams and preceptors' judgments about you that constitute your clerkship grades. I think it's a good balance over just being book-smart.

agree to disagree. It's a balance between shelf exams and preceptors' judgments about you that constitute your clerkship grades. I think it's a good balance over just being book-smart.

The weight of preceptors' judgments versus shelf exams in grading clinical rotations varies by program and institution. Period.

Although, in most cases, both preceptor evaluations and shelf exams are considered in the final grade for the rotation, some programs place more emphasis on preceptor evaluations, while others rely more heavily on the results of shelf exams.

What is the likelihood of getting accepted from the waitlist. I heard that Nova tends to waitlist a fair bit of their applicants (not too sure how true this is though).

I heard from another chat group that DO classes are online and that you only need to go on campus for labs. Is this true?

From this post, I'm guessing Nova again has a strong residency match list in 2023. Excited to see the whole list.

Reactions: 1 users
Match day was on March 17th. They haven't posted the whole list on their website. People are voluntarily building this list on SDN though.

Vanderbilt is the Harvard of the South. Nova has 2 matches in IM. That's huge. This is Vanderbilt IM's whole match list.

Does NSU allow alternate/waitlist students to email to express their intent on going? I know they do not want students to email regarding their status.
If a school explicitly says not to send letters of intent or ask about their status, then I would for sure not send anything. But if you’re unsure about the LOI policy then there’s no harm in emailing their admissions office to ask about it

If a school explicitly says not to send letters of intent or ask about their status, then I would for sure not send anything. But if you’re unsure about the LOI policy then there’s no harm in emailing their admissions office to ask about it
I appreciate the response. Would you happen to know who the dean/direction of admissions is? I tried looking it up, but there are multiple names that come up so its a bit confusing.

Anyone here has heard of the MS in Medial Education offered at NSU? Here is the link:
" https://osteopathic.nova.edu/degrees/masters/medical-education/index.html "

I am just curios if anyone has done it or knows someone who did it and wants to share their perspective. I am a pre-med too. This is just a curios questions. I would like to hear the first hand perspective from a current/former student given we don't find much info online.

Thanks!

Anyone here has heard of the MS in Medial Education offered at NSU? Here is the link:
" https://osteopathic.nova.edu/degrees/masters/medical-education/index.html "

I am just curios if anyone has done it or knows someone who did it and wants to share their perspective. I am a pre-med too. This is just a curios questions. I would like to hear the first hand perspective from a current/former student given we don't find much info online.

Thanks!

I appreciate the response. Would you happen to know who the dean/direction of admissions is? I tried looking it up, but there are multiple names that come up so its a bit confusing.
Unfortunately I don't :/, but I would maybe email the whoever sent you an email or conducted your interview day and ask them

is it Elaine Wallace? Can someone pls confirm:)

Does NSU allow alternate/waitlist students to email to express their intent on going? I know they do not want students to email regarding
You should look at this one that guarantees a seat in the D.O program if you meet GPA(3.6) and MCAT thresholds