2022-2023 Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-KPCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried looking up the programs academic calendar but found it confusing. Does anyone know when orientation/first day of classes is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed 3/9. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 1 user
A today!! Interviewed 3/9. Did anyone else get the email on a different email address and not the one you usually use?

I tried looking up the programs academic calendar but found it confusing. Does anyone know when orientation/first day of classes is?
Hi! Current second year here, orientation/first day of classes is usually the last Monday in July! Hope this helps

Current M2 with some free time, let me know if you have any questions to ask!

Hi! Thank you so much, I’m currently in the Alternate List since February and very curious to know when typical turnaround time is based on your peers experiences or your experience

Hi! Thank you so much, I’m currently in the Alternate List since February and very curious to know when typical turnaround time is based on your peers experiences or your experience
Hi! So I feel like this isn’t the answer you want to hear but it could be anytime. I have a friend that got off the alternate list 2 days prior to school starting. I would say the most movement is around end of April/may because that’s when schools that start early will start to send acceptances and rejections so people will decide not to go to NSU and spots will open.

Reactions: 1 users
How often are we tested?
Are the exams/tests representative of the board exam?
Are the lectures mandatory? Do we take tests in-class or in testing center?
What is attrition rate ?
What are the difficult classes that you have had so far?

Thanks for volunteering to answer questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How often are we tested?
Are the exams/tests representative of the board exam?
Are the lectures mandatory? Do we take tests in-class or in testing center?
What is attrition rate ?
What are the difficult classes that you have had so far?

Thanks for volunteering to answer questions.
1. Exams are typically every other week, and they combine subjects on exams so that you don’t have multiple exams each week.
2. I am entering dedicated soon and I do believe the exams that we have are representative of boards. There are some professors are very particular and they want you to know things that aren’t high yield, but it’s not as common.
3. Lectures are not mandatory, you can watch them live in person, live on zoom, or recorded.
4. Tests are in-house in the lecture halls on your iPad
5. Not sure of the actual attrition rate, I only know of one person from my class that dropped but it wasn’t for grades.
6. Personally I thought my first semester was the hardest, physiology and dermatology were the two classes my 1st year that kicked me. Other than that all the classes were manageable, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses!

Lmk if you have any more questions!

Thanks @rtrizzle16
Does the school arrange the 4th year rotation or are we suppose to do it on our own?
Do they curve the test scores?

Thanks @rtrizzle16
Does the school arrange the 4th year rotation or are we suppose to do it on our own?
Do they curve the test scores?
1. There are a few rotations they set up for you 4th year like EM but the rest is electives that you set up.
2. They will if the average is below a certain %. Changes depending on the credit hours of the class.

1. There are a few rotations they set up for you 4th year like EM but the rest is electives that you set up.
2. They will if the average is below a certain %. Changes depending on the credit hours of the class.
Thanks @rtrizzle16

So if I want to focus on electives like surgery( for the 4th year ) do I need to find a surgeon who is willing to accommodate me and arrange it?

@rtrizzle16

1. Can we order the 4th year electives before the residency applications so we'd do the required rural medicine rotations at the end of the year?
2. How easy to schedule an audition/away rotation located in/out of state? Does the school help or do we have to manage it ourselves? Does the school provide housing for audition/away rotations (if not, how do students manage the accommodation while moving from one site to another each month?)
3. Regarding the 3rd year core clinical rotations, are there any nurse/PA preceptors, or are all of them DOs/MDs? Again, does the school provide housing if the assigned hospital is far from the school?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I actually have a question regarding rotations. Can I set up my own rotations 3rd and 4th year? Or do they have to be with the partnered hospitals listed.

I think if you go out of the partnered hospitals you may have to pay out of pocket. Someone can confirm this.

Thanks @rtrizzle16

So if I want to focus on electives like surgery( for the 4th year ) do I need to find a surgeon who is willing to accommodate me and arrange it?
Typically this is the time where you do audition rotations for your specialty which count for electives. If you don’t do aways, you can coordinate your electives with nova! They aren’t going to leave you high and dry, they just leave it flexible so you can do aways and things like that.

@rtrizzle16

1. Can we order the 4th year electives before the residency applications so we'd do the required rural medicine rotations at the end of the year?
2. How easy to schedule an audition/away rotation located in/out of state? Does the school help or do we have to manage it ourselves? Does the school provide housing for audition/away rotations (if not, how do students manage the accommodation while moving from one site to another each month?)
3. Regarding the 3rd year core clinical rotations, are there any nurse/PA preceptors, or are all of them DOs/MDs? Again, does the school provide housing if the assigned hospital is far from the school?

1. Yes, at the end of your 3rd year you will have completed all your required rotations which include 2, 4-week rural rotations.
2. You use the VSLO application for away rotations, your advisors can help you with the application but this is something the student is responsible for if you want to do away rotations. Nova doesn’t help with housing for aways bc they aren’t set up through nova, but if you have a site that they need to send you that is greater than an hour from you, they will house you for the rotation!
3. All MD and DO, and yes if the site is far they will give you housing.

I think if you go out of the partnered hospitals you may have to pay out of pocket. Someone can confirm this.
Basically, if you are doing rotations outside of your site/nova, you will be on your own for housing.

I actually have a question regarding rotations. Can I set up my own rotations 3rd and 4th year? Or do they have to be with the partnered hospitals listed.
Third year all your rotations go through your site and you can’t choose. 4th year is flexible you can do your electives through the school with their preceptors or do the VSLO application and go elsewhere.

Third year all your rotations go through your site and you can’t choose. 4th year is flexible you can do your electives through the school with their preceptors or do the VSLO application and go elsewhere.
@rtrizzle16

Does the school have enough preceptors to audition for the specialties/subspecialties of our choice in 4th year, and is it a good idea to do it that way over doing aways?

Last edited:
@rtrizzle16

Could you please comment on the amount of guidance and mentorship available? (making connections, finding research, volunteering, and shadowing opportunities that align with our specialty of interests, etc.)

1. Exams are typically every other week, and they combine subjects on exams so that you don’t have multiple exams each week.
2. I am entering dedicated soon and I do believe the exams that we have are representative of boards. There are some professors are very particular and they want you to know things that aren’t high yield, but it’s not as common.
3. Lectures are not mandatory, you can watch them live in person, live on zoom, or recorded.
4. Tests are in-house in the lecture halls on your iPad
5. Not sure of the actual attrition rate, I only know of one person from my class that dropped but it wasn’t for grades.
6. Personally I thought my first semester was the hardest, physiology and dermatology were the two classes my 1st year that kicked me. Other than that all the classes were manageable, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses!

Lmk if you have any more questions!
What days of the week are exams usually on?

@rtrizzle16

Does the school have enough preceptors to audition for the specialties/subspecialties of our choice in 4th year, and is it a good idea to do it that way over doing aways?
You can do electives in your selected specialty through NSU without an away, but some residency programs do like to see away rotations away from your home site. Depends on the specialty you are applying to.

@rtrizzle16

Could you please comment on the amount of guidance and mentorship available? (making connections, finding research, volunteering, and shadowing opportunities that align with our specialty of interests, etc.)
So there are interest groups and clubs that are associated with almost any specialty you may be interested in, so get involved with those. Within those clubs there is a good communication with nova alums within that specialty that give talks and they are very approachable so you can email them after the talk and get connected. In your second semester you can begin an early clinical preceptorship elective (ECPE) where you are paired with a physician in the community and you go and work with them a couple times a month! You get to select your preferences so you can see what you are interested in. We have a mandatory 80hr volunteering requirement to graduate so we have sooo many volunteering connections on TBR and FTL campuses, you will find that you will get so many emails about these opportunities weekly. In addition to nova connections through clubs, nova has a grant that they give to students up to 1500$ an academic year to go to conferences to network or present research! It’s a great way nova allows you to explore different specialties and not worrying about the cost.

You can do electives in your selected specialty through NSU without an away, but some residency programs do like to see away rotations away from your home site. Depends on the specialty you are applying to.
@rtrizzle16

What about surgical specialties?

Any books you recommend for the classes as M1?
All the books you’ll need will be given to you through the library in PDF version, I’d recommend if you like hard copy books get a hard copy of first aid, but you do get a free PDF. I also am slightly bad at physiology so I got the BRS physiology book.

Can you please comment on the M4 student advising his friend to go elsewhere he's accepted due to Admin not caring about the students.
I mean I can try but those are his experiences and I don't want to undermine his opinions at all!

I know the M4s had it ROUGH, especially with the pandemic and such where they had rotations fall out from under them and it was a scramble to get them back. In speaking to them I know we have it a lot better off than they did.

As for the site that Nova didn't pay rumor is they couldn't take students for their Peds and OBGYN rotations anymore which means Nova would have to outsource them and it would cost double for it. Obviously, these are all rumors so I can't say anything. In my experience, while admin sometimes moves slower than I would like, and sometimes there's an extra hoop to go through but if I've ever needed help I've gotten it.

I chose Nova because of the location and its wide alumni net in the clinical world so I guess it just depends on preference.

How do the M2s in this forum feel about the grading system? I noticed that it’s not pass/fail during pre-clinical years and that there’s a letter grade system with a GPA. How does that reflect on residency apps?
I actually like the grading! Its more of a me thing because I like understanding the material and working hard to see that B/B+/A grade instead of a "pass". As for residency apps I can't say that I've heard it matters much since so many schools are P/F

I actually like the grading! Its more of a me thing because I like understanding the material and working hard to see that B/B+/A grade instead of a "pass". As for residency apps I can't say that I've heard it matters much since so many schools are P/F

How do those schools with P/F system rank their students to prepare the dean's letters? Don't they still calculate their students' actual GPAs?

I am one of those currently debating between NOVA and another school that has a Pass / Fail system. The Pass / Fail system does have a "Honors" Pass meaning you are at the top 10% of the class. Based on what I heard if your GPA is good then it would certainly look on your application. If not, it can impact your residency application for competitive specialty residency application. There is certainly less stress in a pass/fail situation. One consultant told me this actual statement "Look at your MCAT score or GPA. Were you at the 90% percentile or at the 10% of your undergraduate classes? If so Grade system would work well for you."

The pass/fail system does have a ranking (similar to quartile). I returned from a school that has a p/f system and was told about it.

I am not taking any sides just highlighting the pros and cons trying to figure out the answer for myself.

@rtrizzle16

1 - your rural rotations are actually integrated into your 3rd year mandatory core rotations, not sure if you have to do a second one in 4th year.
2 - we get access to VSLO, away rotations are up to you since you have to apply to them
3 - Preceptors are all DO/MDs. If the rotation site is more than 45 miles away you get housing provided by nova UNLESS you are assigned to a tricounty track and it is within those counties

Do we need to submit a copy of the med. school transcript as part of the residency application?

How do those schools with P/F system rank their students to prepare the dean's letters? Don't they still calculate their students' actual GPAs?
P/F schools still get ranked as a class and that is given to the Deans for your MSPE. So just because you don't have a GPA doesn't mean the residency doesn't have anyone to compare you too they just don't have a number. Example lets say your 57th percentile in your class they look at that and can think whatever they want about it (you did bad, you did good etc) however if youre the same percentile and have a 89% GPA then they can be like wow they're so good and their class is just full of geniuses.

I hope that made sense!

1 - your rural rotations are actually integrated into your 3rd year mandatory core rotations, not sure if you have to do a second one in 4th year.
2 - we get access to VSLO, away rotations are up to you since you have to apply to them
3 - Preceptors are all DO/MDs. If the rotation site is more than 45 miles away you get housing provided by nova UNLESS you are assigned to a tricounty track and it is within those counties

On the school's website, the curriculum shows that the rural medicine rotations are in M4.

1680544070267.png

1680544126661.png

P/F schools still get ranked as a class and that is given to the Deans for your MSPE. So just because you don't have a GPA doesn't mean the residency doesn't have anyone to compare you too they just don't have a number. Example lets say your 57th percentile in your class they look at that and can think whatever they want about it (you did bad, you did good etc) however if youre the same percentile and have a 89% GPA then they can be like wow they're so good and their class is just full of geniuses.

I hope that made sense!

Thus, basically, although they don't show the GPA on the transcript, the schools keep track of the GPAs and report them along with the ranking in the dean's letter.

Looking forward to seeing Nova's official match rates for class of 2023. Other schools have started publishing them on their websites.

Question: I believe there are 379 student placements for both campuses (Looks like 21 students (out of 400) didn't make it to 4th year). What does the 22 transitional placement mean? Does it mean they did not match into any residency (they desired)? Does it mean 94.2% residency match?