2022-2023 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Apartment-Alarming for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Rutgers, New Jersey Secondary Essay Prompts (1500 character limit, each)

1. We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, humanism, equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

2. We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result:

3. If you will not be a full-time student between June 2022 and August 2023, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

4. If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2023, please share insight on your decision

5. If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

6. Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: impact of COVID, institutional actions, academics, MCAT, personal difficulties, etc.):

7. Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a secondary for this school yet? In state and verified 6/28

Any ED applicants get the call yet? This waiting is killing me cause I know a decision will come in the next month or so but not knowing when is nerve wracking. Last years trend looks like people who interviewed end of June started getting accepted around this time.

Any ED applicants get the call yet? This waiting is killing me cause I know a decision will come in the next month or so but not knowing when is nerve wracking. Last years trend looks like people who interviewed end of June started getting accepted around this time.
Are you an ED applicant?

Are interviews in person or virtual for NJMS?

Do you get a notification if you're deferred from ED to RD?

Got the call last night, interviewed last week of June. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any RD applicants receive secondary yet?

IS, just received

@wysdoc

The secondary prompts are as listed below, all 1500 character limit:

We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, humanism, equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result:

If you will not be a full-time student between June 2022 and August 2023, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2023, please share insight on your decision

If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: impact of COVID, institutional actions, academics, MCAT, personal difficulties, etc.):

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:

Reactions: 1 users
Received secondary today, not verified and IS

Does anyone have any idea how to answer the first question? Can I use my diversity essay (growing up with background of different health understandings and then serving as interpreter during medical visits) or do I have to tell several different experience about each quality they mentioned?

Does anyone have any idea how to answer the first question? Can I use my diversity essay (growing up with background of different health understandings and then serving as interpreter during medical visits) or do I have to tell several different experience about each quality they mentioned?
Both? I'd say emphasize how your unique experiences make you a strong collaborator, dedicated to humanism, and determined to contribute to/learn about equity & social justice

• Love
For those who are a reapplicant, how are you answering questions 4 and 5 differently? Personally, I chose to take a gap year to gain clinical experience (question 4), and gaining clinical experience is how I am enhancing my candidacy/re-application (question 5).

Anyone know when students get their first clinical exposure at this school? The curriculum page says "early clinical exposure" but the curriculum video says they start in 2nd year.

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2023, please share insight on your decision,

Just confirming, this question is basically asking if we took time between bachelor's and med school and if so, what we did, correct?

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2023, please share insight on your decision,

Just confirming, this question is basically asking if we took time between bachelor's and med school and if so, what we did, correct?
I was wondering the same thing. They worded it really weird and I don't know why they underlined 'prior to martriculation.' I am interpreting it as taking gap years after undergrad because I am not sure what else they would be referring to.

How do we answer question 3 and 4 differently? It seems that they are both asking about a gap year.

How do we answer question 3 and 4 differently? It seems that they are both asking about a gap year.
I think Q3 is asking more about WHY you decided to take gap year(s) whereas Q4 is asking WHAT you are doing during the application year.

In my case, I have 6 'growth' years and so I explained why I decided to delay medical school applications in Q3, and I spoke to my activities for the application year in Q4.

Did anyone get calls yet? I've interviewed last week, but no dice yet.

Did any ED applicants here back yet?