2022-2023 Rutgers, New Jersey

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

All applicants are given equal consideration, regardless of state of residency. However, part of the NJMS Vision is to enhance the quality of life for the people of New Jersey (NJ). With that said, if you are not a NJ resident (determined by your selection of “state of legal residence” on the AMCAS application), please share any connections and/or interest you have in NJ:

Does anybody know if this question has a character limit? I'm not really sure how much to write for this section because the text box is so small
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS, just received

@wysdoc

The secondary prompts are as listed below, all 1500 character limit:

We are committed to an environment which fosters collaboration, humanism, equity and social justice. How do you envision yourself contributing to the NJMS community?

We seek students who are self-aware, resilient and adaptable. Discuss a personal or professional challenge you’ve experienced and how you resolved it. Please include insight on what you learned about yourself as a result:

If you will not be a full-time student between June 2022 and August 2023, please describe in detail your planned activities, including projected time commitment for each activity:

If you have chosen to pursue one or more “growth” years prior to your planned matriculation to medical school in 2023, please share insight on your decision


If you are a re-applicant, please share what you have done to enhance your candidacy and re-application?

Please elaborate on challenges not thoroughly addressed anywhere else in your application (Please feel free to address any or all of the following if applicable: impact of COVID, institutional actions, academics, MCAT, personal difficulties, etc.):

Please discuss any additional information you feel may help us in our review of your candidacy:
does this character count include spaces?
 
All applicants are given equal consideration, regardless of state of residency. However, part of the NJMS Vision is to enhance the quality of life for the people of New Jersey (NJ). With that said, if you are not a NJ resident (determined by your selection of “state of legal residence” on the AMCAS application), please share any connections and/or interest you have in NJ:

Does anybody know if this question has a character limit? I'm not really sure how much to write for this section because the text box is so small
I wrote up a whole paragraph on google docs and copy and pasted it into the tiny box. I read it through, saved and re-read. Seemed okay. Hoping that when the school review it doesn't look wonky on their end, despite looking fine on mine.
 
You're invited to my new group 'NJMS Class of 2027' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Hey guys. For accepted people, here’s the group me if you guys want to talk and all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Btw what did you change between last cycle and this cycle that helped you succeed this time around...if you dont mind sharing?
Thank you!

I'm of course just guessing about what may have made a difference (so take it with a grain of salt!), but I think that when I applied this time, I had been in a clinical job with a lot of responsibility for well over a year vs. a just few months, and so I was able to reflect much more meaningfully about it as I was re-writing the AMCAS/Secondary. I also started a med-related volunteering gig in the last couple months. Plus, I applied RD last cycle (and was on PWL) so applying early was also a significant change.

Dunno if that's super helpful, but I definitely wish everyone lots of luck this cycle!
 
Accepted! Applied ED and interviewed end of July
if helpful: re-applicant, LM 73.6, WARS 77
Congratulations - awesome job! I have an interview next week. Wondering how long was your interview and was the Meet the Deans session part of the interview or more informational? Thanks
 
To anyone who has interviewed already, does the Meeting the Deans session have a lot of applicants and is more of an informational session or is it a smaller group and more interview style? Same question for the student session? Thank you!
 
Interviewed earlier today. Everyone was pretty friendly but only a few of the interviewers engaged with follow-up questions so it was hard to make connections. Overall I think I did well and only bombed 1 station so we’ll see in December 🫣
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed earlier today. Everyone was pretty friendly but only a few of the interviewers engaged with follow-up questions so it was hard to make connections. Overall I think I did well and only bombed 1 station so we’ll see in December 🫣
What are your stats if u don't mind? Also ORM or URM
 
Interviewed earlier today. Everyone was pretty friendly but only a few of the interviewers engaged with follow-up questions so it was hard to make connections. Overall I think I did well and only bombed 1 station so we’ll see in December 🫣
Wait I feel so stupid right now. Interviewers? Stations? I thought it was a traditional style interview with a faculty member. How off am I? 😅
 
Congratulations!! How was the interview? Friendly interviewers, curveball question? Any advice is greatly appreciated cuz I’m freaking out for mine next week lol
Hi! Sorry I just saw this--I hope I'm not too late! All interviewers I've had are super friendly, very conversational style vs. formal "interview"

Good luck all!
 
To anyone who has interviewed already, does the Meeting the Deans session have a lot of applicants and is more of an informational session or is it a smaller group and more interview style? Same question for the student session? Thank you!
Again, sorry to just be seeing this. Meet the deans session is a number of applicants that are interviewing same day/same week. It's a very friendly tone, also pretty conversational. Student session is super informal--no members of admissions team. It's a great chance to ask questions of students who I felt are very happy to help and give really genuine answers.

Good luck!
 
Hi everyone! Got an II earlier this week and will be interviewing next week! Could anyone clarify if the interview is open or closed file?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much!! Did you find they asked you in-depth questions about your application since they reviewed it prior to the interview?

You’re welcome! My interviewer asked a lot of deep, thought- provoking personal questions but they weren’t really related to my application at all. I honestly wouldn’t have known that she read my app if she didn’t tell me in beginning