2021-2022 Rutgers, New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10/11 interview, asked about application update, told me they have a large applicant pool & are making a decision soon

Members don't see this ad.

10/11 interview, asked about application update, told me they have a large applicant pool & are making a decision soon
Exactly this. Not sure what they are trying to pull here. I think they have WL us without letting us know so it doesn't "feel" like a WL. As approved candidates withdraw their application, they are calling one by one. Can't think of anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly this. Not sure what they are trying to pull here. I think they have WL us without letting us know so it doesn't "feel" like a WL. As approved candidates withdraw their application, they are calling one by one. Can't think of anything else.
Yeh i got priority WLed in March but i interviewed in Feb... very weird how i heard back so quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Atp just reject me lmao

• Haha
I don't want to give you false hope, but I don't think it's terrible.

It doesn't look like they are rejecting anyone post-II at this point, so there are 3 possible outcomes - A, HPWL and WL. Since they are turning plenty of people around fairly quickly now, there is no reason to play hide the ball with you if they actually made a decision.

Which leads to the conclusion that they are on the fence and are waiting for more applicants to go to the committee before deciding whether to give you an A or place you on the WL. If I am correct, it is certainly better than just being placed on the WL now, so I'd try not to stress and consider this positive possibility - waiting all this time is not as good as an A but better than a WL! :)

I don't want to give you false hope, but I don't think it's terrible.

It doesn't look like they are rejecting anyone post-II at this point, so there are 3 possible outcomes - A, HPWL and WL. Since they are turning plenty of people around fairly quickly now, there is no reason to play hide the ball with you if they actually made a decision.

Which leads to the conclusion that they are on the fence and are waiting for more applicants to go to the committee before deciding whether to give you an A or place you on the WL. If I am correct, it is certainly better than just being placed on the WL now, so I'd try not to stress and consider this positive possibility - waiting all this time is not as good as an A but better than a WL! :)
Do you mean just regular WL or also including HPWL

Do you mean just regular WL or also including HPWL
I actually have no way to know that. I also have no idea what the breakdown is between the two. I only know that a lot of people have been placed on both WLs throughout the cycle, so there really is no reason for them to play games and not let you know if they actually made a decision.

Since I think they are debating whether or not to give the A, it would follow that the alternative to the A would be the HPWL, but I have way to know that for sure, so I wouldn't want to mislead anyone into thinking otherwise. Also, on a more depressing note, I haven't seen a lot of activity from the HPWL in recent years, so I don't think it's as good as it sounds, and the regular WL is probably a soft R.

If I'm right about that, while HPWL might make you feel better, in practice it might not mean anything if there is only minimal movement on it, as opposed to none at all on the the other list.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Have any accepted students (who previously had a Rutgers netID) had an issue trying to make their NJMS email? It says to call the support center but literally not one of the 6 people I talked to were able to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/26 and received priority alternate WL on 3/4. This is my fourth WL :bigtears: plsss

• Sad
Have any accepted students (who previously had a Rutgers netID) had an issue trying to make their NJMS email? It says to call the support center but literally not one of the 6 people I talked to were able to help.
I had an issue too but it worked after I called in

I had an issue too but it worked after I called in
Is there anything in particular you said on the phone call, cause everyone I talk to doesn’t know what I’m talking about lol

I told them that I was able to reactivate the uni but couldn’t log into the email, and then the woman walked me through getting in and all of a sudden it worked .

Crickets for 5 months. Honestly just inconsiderate
Bro silence since July, life just isn’t fair. Better to deal with it, move on, or reapply. But we got this and let’s our keep chins up high. But sometimes I honestly ask what was the point of applying early

Edit: As in several of us who applied early still received 0 II’s

Reactions: 3 users
Bro silence since July, life just isn’t fair. Better to deal with it, move on, or reapply. But we got this and let’s our keep chins up high. But sometimes I honestly ask what was the point of applying early

Edit: As in several of us who applied early still received 0 II’s
Premedwannabe is talking about post-II silence. Pre-II ghosting is very common in the medical schools admissions process, but it’s unusual for schools to wait ~6 months to deliver a post-II decision.

I’m sorry that your cycle isn’t panning out the way you hoped. But dealing with that frustration doesn’t negate the fact that applicants with IIs and As can also be frustrated.

Just called NJMS, they told me that the cycle is over and no more II's

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know about that as I only asked about interviews

R post follow-up interview.

Not terribly surprising since the second interviewer seemed to be looking at the wrong application and had quite a bit of incorrect information (asked me why I took the MCAT multiple times (I didn't), asked me about my fiancé (I have none), told me that my master's program was not similar to medical school curriculum (RWJMS MBS), remarked that I don't have clinical experience (1000 hours scribing), amongst other things).

Best of luck to all.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
R post follow-up interview.

Not terribly surprising since the second interviewer seemed to be looking at the wrong application and had quite a bit of incorrect information (asked me why I took the MCAT multiple times (I didn't), asked me about my fiancé (I have none), told me that my master's program was not similar to medical school curriculum (RWJMS MBS), remarked that I don't have clinical experience (1000 hours scribing), amongst other things).

Best of luck to all.
NJMS really a mess this cycle lol

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't heard back from Nov interview - should I reach out or keep waiting? Does this mean R?

Haven't heard back from Nov interview - should I reach out or keep waiting? Does this mean R?
A bunch of us are on the same situation. I interviewed in Oct and nothing. I reached out and they said I would hear back within 10 days, never happened. I then sent an update letter, which was acknowledged, and still nothing. Some people say it's good news, some people don't.

Does anyone know if there is a date limit for schools to give you an answer?

Does anyone know if there is a date limit for schools to give you an answer?
None at all. AAMC protocols call for them to issue at least as many As as they have spots in the class by 3/15, but, even that is voluntary. Schools are actually under no obligation to ever get back to you at all, either pre or post-II. Some schools are actually notorious for ghosting people pre-II after taking their application money.

Post-II, it is actually much more rare. This school is so disorganized that anything is honestly possible. Beyond that, since they have ghosted you for months, acknowledged your inquiry and then failed to meet a self-imposed deadline to respond, it's probably safe to assume the worst while continuing to hope for the best. One would think that if they wanted you, they wouldn't risk losing you over a failure to communicate, particularly after you reached out and they promised to get back to you.

OTOH, if you had a better option you probably would have lost patience and moved on by now. Lots of people all over the country are dropping As and WLs at this point over less. So my advice would be to sit tight, not take it personally, and let it play out. Good luck!!!

None at all. AAMC protocols call for them to issue at least as many As as they have spots in the class by 3/15, but, even that is voluntary. Schools are actually under no obligation to ever get back to you at all, either pre or post-II. Some schools are actually notorious for ghosting people pre-II after taking their application money.

Post-II, it is actually much more rare. This school is so disorganized that anything is honestly possible. Beyond that, since they have ghosted you for months, acknowledged your inquiry and then failed to meet a self-imposed deadline to respond, it's probably safe to assume the worst while continuing to hope for the best. One would think that if they wanted you, they wouldn't risk losing you over a failure to communicate, particularly after you reached out and they promised to get back to you.

OTOH, if you had a better option you probably would have lost patience and moved on by now. Lots of people all over the country are dropping As and WLs at this point over less. So my advice would be to sit tight, not take it personally, and let it play out. Good luck!!!
Thank you! Fortunately I have had other As. An A from NJMS would shake things up a bit though. I am going to give another week and then email them again.

Just an update for those waiting: fb group of accepted students has 153 people.

How come that many?
I mean NJMS is in direct comparison with RWJ and other in state schools. Also they throw money at high stat applicants, so they are in competition with higher rated schools in that way. So its an overall very low yield rate, which requires way more acceptances than actual spots in the class.

I mean NJMS is in direct comparison with RWJ and other in state schools. Also they throw money at high stat applicants, so they are in competition with higher rated schools in that way. So its an overall very low yield rate, which requires way more acceptances than actual spots in the class.
A decent amount of people in the facebook group end up not being M1s - a few admin, older classmen, student government, etc. all join the group to make announcements to the class. Also class of 2025 group only has 260 people. I wouldn't look into this, not really a good predictor of what's going on.

Reactions: 1 users