2022-2023 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @phewitsnottaken for sharing this year's questions

2022-2023 Utah Secondary Essay Prompts

1. In 2019 the UUSOM began a strategic transformation process to emphasize community, relationships, and professionalism in the learning culture. How does our program align with your career goals? How will you contribute to this learning culture? (150 words)

2. The School of Medicine aims to create a culture of inclusion and anti-racism in health education and healthcare delivery. How have you promoted or advocated for health equity in your experiences? How do you envision contributing to the UUSOM and the communities we serve? (150 words)

3. Reflecting on the past few years of the pandemic, what has the impact of COVID-19 been on you and/or your community? What lessons have you learned about yourself? (150 words)

Optional essays if applying for RUUTE scholar program:
1. According to your experiences, what does rural and underserved mean to you? (500 words)
2. How would participation in RUUTE help you fulfill your career aspirations? (150 words)
3. Why do you believe this program will be a good fit for you? (150 words)

Optional essays if applying for population health program:
1. Please share your interest in the Population Health Program (no word count given)
2. What are your career interests and future professional goals? (no word count given)
3. Please describe how you have demonstrated commitment to Population Health concepts during your academic and professional experiences: (no word count given)
4. What does Population Health mean to you and how do you plan on implementing it into your future education and professional career? (no word count given)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Utah School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How are people approaching the short descriptions for activities? At the top it says 1-2 sentences but then it also says there is a 150 word limit. I would rather use most of the 150 words so I give a better description but I don't want it to look like I don't know how to follow directions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the process of asking a friend who got in last year! I'll let everyone know once they respond.

Here are the secondary essays for this year:
1. In 2019 the UUSOM began a strategic transformation process to emphasize community, relationships, and professionalism in the learning culture. How does our program align with your career goals? How will you contribute to this learning culture? (150 words)
2. The School of Medicine aims to create a culture of inclusion and anti-racism in health education and healthcare delivery. How have you promoted or advocated for health equity in your experiences? How do you envision contributing to the UUSOM and the communities we serve? (150 words)
3. Reflecting on the past few years of the pandemic, what has the impact of COVID-19 been on you and/or your community? What lessons have you learned about yourself? (150 words)

Optional essays if applying for RUUTE scholar program:
1. According to your experiences, what does rural and underserved mean to you? (500 words)
2. How would participation in RUUTE help you fulfill your career aspirations? (150 words)
3. Why do you believe this program will be a good fit for you? (150 words)

Optional essays if applying for population health program:
1. Please share your interest in the Population Health Program (no word count given)
2. What are your career interests and future professional goals? (no word count given)
3. Please describe how you have demonstrated commitment to Population Health concepts during your academic and professional experiences: (no word count given)
4. What does Population Health mean to you and how do you plan on implementing it into your future education and professional career? (no word count given)

@phewitsnottaken I asked my friend and they said they mostly copied and pasted from AMCAS, but changed a little bit/added a sentence or so to give more context for in-state activities, as the adcoms would likely be more familiar with the communities and programs around here.

IS Secondary Received 06/29. During an admissions information session they mentioned the descriptions can be about 2-3 sentences.

Does anybody have advice for OOS people for the UofU? I submitted a secondary last year and they just ghosted me the entire cycle.

I participated in an application feedback session for those who had been waitlisted last year. During that session, they told me they wanted the activity descriptions to be around 300 characters or 2-3 sentences.

My secondary is due tomorrow and my premed advisor still hasn't uploaded my committee letter despite promising to do so last week. Is it worth reaching out to the school and asking if there is any wiggle room on the due date for something that's out of my control?

My secondary is due tomorrow and my premed advisor still hasn't uploaded my committee letter despite promising to do so last week. Is it worth reaching out to the school and asking if there is any wiggle room on the due date for something that's out of my control?
Absolutely. Also, so sorry about that. My advisor uploaded mine yesterday, so I know the struggle.....

Any current/former medical student willing to talk about their experience at UUSOM. I’ve written some of the “why us” essay and I want to get more insight into their programs, community engagement, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea when early decision IS IIs get sent out? I’ve checked the last few years and it seems mid-August at the earliest, but I’m not sure if that’s bc of covid and changed procedure or normal?

Anyone else waiting on secondary? In-state, it has been about a week and a half with no communication (not in spam either). Does anyone know if they holistic screen secondaries? I don't think I would have been pre-screened out based on stats

Just recieved an II! IS, LM 61, Complete 07/09

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the interviews! Were you all early decision?

II today for me as well! Submitted secondary on 7/5 and RD

Last edited:
OS, got a secondary invite on 7/26, and just got a reminder that the submission deadline is 8/9. It's also a pretty long secondary. Anyone know why the deadline is so short?!

OS, got a secondary invite on 7/26, and just got a reminder that the submission deadline is 8/9. It's also a pretty long secondary. Anyone know why the deadline is so short?!
Two-week deadlines are pretty common for medical schools.

Two-week deadlines are pretty common for medical schools.
I see a lot of recommendations for returning within two weeks, but not hard deadlines. The other secondaries I have don't have firm 'you can't turn it in after this date' until Sept-Dec. The shortest one I have gotten other than Utah had a four week from receipt deadline. Obviously I turn them around as fast as I can.

Last edited:
I see a lot of recommendations for returning within two weeks, but not hard deadlines. The other secondaries I have don't have firm 'you can't turn it in after this date' until Sept-Dec. The shortest one I have gotten other than Utah had a four week from receipt deadline. Obviously I turn them around as fast as I can.

Yeah that’s a good point. UNC has a hard 3 week deadline, and Mayo used to have a two week hard deadline. I’m not sure why Utah has such a short turn around.

Nevada has a one week hard deadline. It just varies by school.

It has been two weeks since I submitted my primary, and the University of Utah is the only school that has not sent back a secondary. Anyone in a similar situation/have any advice? Being my state school, it is basically my top choice so I am getting a bit nervous why I have not heard anything back at all :(

It has been two weeks since I submitted my primary, and the University of Utah is the only school that has not sent back a secondary. Anyone in a similar situation/have any advice? Being my state school, it is basically my top choice so I am getting a bit nervous why I have not heard anything back at all :(
Since submitting primary or since primary was verified? It will take 4 weeks to get verified before the primary is sent to schools

Since submitting primary or since primary was verified? It will take 4 weeks to get verified before the primary is sent to schools
My primary application was verified on July 20th. I have already submitted most of my secondary apps. However, I have yet to hear anything at all from UCSF (kind of expected lol) and the University of Utah. The U of U is stressing me out though because it is my top choice and afaik they don't screen for their secondary...

My primary application was verified on July 20th. I have already submitted most of my secondary apps. However, I have yet to hear anything at all from UCSF (kind of expected lol) and the University of Utah. The U of U is stressing me out though because it is my top choice and afaik they don't screen for their secondary...
You need at least a 3.0 GPA and 500 MCAT to receive their secondary. Did you check your spam?

You need at least a 3.0 GPA and 500 MCAT to receive their secondary. Did you check your spam?
I have, I have not see anything. I meet their requirements for a secondary, just assumed they have been backed up or something. Seems like most people have been receiving them almost as soon as their verified though :( I probably will just give them a call

Has any early decision applicants received an II yet? With the timeline of ED it's strange that I haven't seen any say they've received an II.

Just a heads up to any future applicants, they will not send you a secondary invite until you've submitted your LoR's! Don't freak out if you don't get one immediately.

Just got II yesterday. ED and ISS. Secondary submitted 7/9 I believe. Interview dates are last Friday in august and the 2nd

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads up to any future applicants, they will not send you a secondary invite until you've submitted your LoR's! Don't freak out if you don't get one immediately.

This was not my experience. I had to ask them for an extension on my secondary because my committee letter wasn’t ready two weeks after they sent my secondary.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow morning! Take a deep breath and remember how far you’ve come. You got this.

Reactions: 1 users
Should I email if I didn’t get a secondary after being verified 7/21? I’m OOS and pass the stats screening, and graduated HS in SLC as well as being born there. Idk if I got skipped over on accident or what 🧍

Should I email if I didn’t get a secondary after being verified 7/21? I’m OOS and pass the stats screening, and graduated HS in SLC as well as being born there. Idk if I got skipped over on accident or what 🧍
I mentioned this above, but I was in a similar situation as yours. I emailed them and they said they would send the secondary after they received my LoR's. If you have already submitted your LoR's, then I would email them... they responded pretty quickly.

I mentioned this above, but I was in a similar situation as yours. I emailed them and they said they would send the secondary after they received my LoR's. If you have already submitted your LoR's, then I would email them... they responded pretty quickly.
I do have my LoRs in- I'll email them. Thanks!

Update: it was sent shortly after I emailed.

Last edited:
Any ED applicants getting interviews? Lots of RD applicants have gotten them.