2023-2024 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Cincinnati Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) The University of Cincinnati’s Next Lives Here initiative includes three platforms:

• Inclusion: Intentionally engaging people and the contribution of diverse ideas.
  • Innovation: Challenging existing practices and paradigms and discovering the unknown.
  • Impact: Positively transforming our community and society in measurable ways.
The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Mission:

We work together in a spirit of collaboration, inclusion, and service: To educate and train the physicians, scientists, and health professionals of tomorrow; To advance knowledge through impactful, innovative research; To improve health and well-being through compassionate, patient-centered care.

Considering the UCCOM mission, tell us why you’re applying here and how our mission aligns with your own.
Your response is limited to 2000 characters.

2) The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Values:
We are committed to excellence, diversity, and integrity in our students, faculty, staff, and all of our activities. We provide an inclusive environment where innovation and freedom of intellectual inquiry flourish.
Please share your personal journey to a career in medicine and let us know how the UCCOM values align with your own.

3) Academic Impact of COVID-19 (optional)

Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March 2020 and September 2022.

4) Non-Academic Impact of COVID-19 (optional)

We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please use the space below to describe any personal (ie, non-academic) life-altering experiences or changes to your plans related to the pandemic between March 2020 and September 2022.

-----MD-PhD Essays----

1) Research Projects: Please summarize your past research experience(s). Discuss your role and contributions to the project(s). Explain how these experience(s) have prepared you for a career as a physician-scientist. (4000 characters)

2) Qualifications for MD/PHD: Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals. (2000 characters)

3) Research Interests: Please discuss your research interests and how these align with the research opportunities provided at the University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children’s. Discuss potential MSTP faculty mentors whose research is of interest to you. (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
A few prompts changed from last year.
These are the prompts I have (MSTP applicant) @wysdoc

1) The University of Cincinnati’s Next Lives Here initiative includes three platforms:

• Inclusion: Intentionally engaging people and the contribution of diverse ideas.
  • Innovation: Challenging existing practices and paradigms and discovering the unknown.
  • Impact: Positively transforming our community and society in measurable ways.

The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Mission:

We work together in a spirit of collaboration, inclusion, and service: To educate and train the physicians, scientists, and health professionals of tomorrow; To advance knowledge through impactful, innovative research; To improve health and well-being through compassionate, patient-centered care.

Considering the UCCOM mission, tell us why you’re applying here and how our mission aligns with your own.
Your response is limited to 2000 characters.​

2) The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Values:

We are committed to excellence, diversity, and integrity in our students, faculty, staff, and all of our activities. We provide an inclusive environment where innovation and freedom of intellectual inquiry flourish.

Please share your personal journey to a career in medicine and let us know how the UCCOM values align with your own.

3) Academic Impact of COVID-19 (optional)
Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March 2020 and September 2022.

4) Non-Academic Impact of COVID-19 (optional)
We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please use the space below to describe any personal (ie, non-academic) life-altering experiences or changes to your plans related to the pandemic between March 2020 and September 2022.

-----MD-PhD Essays----
1) Research Projects:
Please summarize your past research experience(s). Discuss your role and contributions to the project(s). Explain how these experience(s) have prepared you for a career as a physician-scientist. (4000 characters)

2) Qualifications for MD/PHD: Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals. (2000 characters)

3) Research Interests: Please discuss your research interests and how these align with the research opportunities provided at the University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children’s. Discuss potential MSTP faculty mentors whose research is of interest to you. (2000 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
I was hit with an account creation error, despite entering everything correctly, and now I have to wait 48 hrs before I can access their link to generate an account :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hit with an account creation error, despite entering everything correctly, and now I have to wait 48 hrs before I can access their link to generate an account :rofl:
Wait I got the same account creation error too even though I entered everything correctly. Were you able to fix the issue before 48 hours?

Btw, there's an extra prompt for anyone who is taking a gap year that wasn't posted, under current activities:

In 1000 characters, provide a thorough explanation of all activities planned between now and your matriculation into medical school (Fall 2024).

Reactions: 1 users
Could I spin essay #2 (Please share your personal journey to a career in medicine and let us know how the UCCOM values align with your own.) into a diversity essay that ties into my journey into medicine? It sounds like this question either wants a mini personal statement or they want to know our background/identity and how it has played a role in our journey, and I am not completely sure which option to go with. Thanks!

Could I spin essay #2 (Please share your personal journey to a career in medicine and let us know how the UCCOM values align with your own.) into a diversity essay that ties into my journey into medicine? It sounds like this question either wants a mini personal statement or they want to know our background/identity and how it has played a role in our journey, and I am not completely sure which option to go with. Thanks!
I was thinking of the same thing. I will go with the second option as it's something different that wasn't on my primary.

Do you guys think selecting virtual vs in person interview will increase my chance of getting an II? I really have no preference; I'm from CA but I have family in Ohio so I'm trying to choose whatever option increases my chance, if any lol
I have this question as well! Please and thanks

I thought they said that your choice didn't affect admissions, so I just put whichever one I preferred

Reactions: 1 users
My account is just not working. Not letting me log in or reset the password. Anyone having this issue?

My account is just not working. Not letting me log in or reset the password. Anyone having this issue?
I had this issue! I called IT and they picked up right away and helped me. For me, the problem was that I was using an institutional Wifi, so maybe try home WiFi or data if you were doing the same :)

How are you guys approaching question #2? The please share your personal journey one. I'm conflicted if should stick my diversity essay in there. which doesn't necessarily describe my entire journey but a specific but big part of my journey, or whether to write a broad overview of my journey...

How are you guys approaching question #2? The please share your personal journey one. I'm conflicted if should stick my diversity essay in there. which doesn't necessarily describe my entire journey but a specific but big part of my journey, or whether to write a broad overview of my journey...
This question has killed me for 3 days lol.....
Basically, I am planning on doing a diversity essay and talking about how my community's struggle with mental health has empowered me to become a physician that focuses on serving the well-being of my community and others alike (some similarities with my PS). Then, I am talking about my values that I have gained from my community's specific characteristics and talking about how I wish to employ them as a physician.

I already submitted my secondary application, but I recently moved and wanted to make sure my address was updated on the secondary. When i logged into the portal, I couldn't find how to access my application - do you guys know if it's possible?
I would email admissions and let them know about the change!

"4) Non-Academic Impact of COVID-19 (optional)
Your response is limited to 2000 characters."

For this question do we think it's ok to talk about how my volunteering opportunities were affected by COVID or is it looking for much more serious things than this? I know life-altering experiences is an option here but so is changes to plans?

My personal statement already effectively highlights in detail my journey to a career in medicine as question 2 is asking. Would it be ok to answer question 2 as an admitted addendum to my PS, including extra info uncovered in my PS?

Question 1 is already hogging up my diversity content, so I'm pretty unsure how to answer this question without being redundant to my PS.

Last edited:
hey everyone, anyone else get an error message when generating the account to submit? and then an email saying wait 1-2 days before verifying account info?

ok so their mission is basically.. we like research, service, patient-centered care...

for question #1, are you guys addressing all 3 parts of their mission or is there a specific aspect of it that they emphasize

ok so their mission is basically.. we like research, service, patient-centered care...

for question #1, are you guys addressing all 3 parts of their mission or is there a specific aspect of it that they emphasize
You could do this any way you want! I talked to one current student that said they certainly value research, though, so if you have that ec AND it aligns with who you are then that’s something to certainly include. However, I’m no expert and neither are the students I talked to. There a million ways to take the question (which I think is harder!)

Is the portal not loading for anyone else? Am trying to submit secondaries but am unable to access the website...

I am so stuck on question 2, literally have no idea where to start. I don’t want to repeat my PS, and I feel like what I wrote in my diversity prompt doesn’t really apply here. How did you guys go about it?

I am so stuck on question 2, literally have no idea where to start. I don’t want to repeat my PS, and I feel like what I wrote in my diversity prompt doesn’t really apply here. How did you guys go about it?
I used my diversity prompt and related it to the health problems in my ethnic community (wanting to become a physician to bridge gaps in language and culture barriers)

I used my diversity prompt and related it to the health problems in my ethnic community (wanting to become a physician to bridge gaps in language and culture barriers)

Oo that sounds really good!! I wrote my diversity prompt about being an athlete, and I’m not sure that really applies here… I’m just gonna starting drafting and hope for the best lol

Oo that sounds really good!! I wrote my diversity prompt about being an athlete, and I’m not sure that really applies here… I’m just gonna starting drafting and hope for the best lol
I connected my athlete diversity essay to this one :) I bet you'll figure it out, athletics applies to pretty much everything if you try hard enough

Sorry let me clarify, has anyone received IS or OOS regular MD interview?

OOS II
Complete 7/7 LM 69, WARS 77

IS II yesterday, complete 7/9.
It's funny how it's written so many times to make sure you can attend the whole interview day, but I can't find a schedule anywhere. Maybe I'm just missing something but you'd think they'd make it available!