2023-2024 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you say you submitted it, do you mean your school uploaded it to AMCAS? If so, that's just considered a committee letter. A standard committee letter includes with it individual letters of recommendation from professors/etc.
thanks for your reply! i did hear back from admissions saying i should select “compilation letters,” however they also said “The classification does not have much effect on your application, so it is nothing to stress about.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else's application status still say Casper score not received? Took it two months ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i was verified before 6/30 and still didnt get this secondary... anyone else?

Is anyone still waiting on their secondary? I’m kind of panicking now. Verified 5/31

Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school. Please be sure to include any traditional and/or non-traditional clinical exposures and volunteering experiences that you have done that are not already included in your application. (2000 characters)

For this question, how recent are we talking? Are they talking like your most recent stuff or stuff you did specifically in college? (I did 4 years in college and am now taking 1 gap year).

Also, are you guys talking about non clinical service stuff as well? Since it asks for clinical exposures and volunteering experiences but does not specify which one they want.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school. Please be sure to include any traditional and/or non-traditional clinical exposures and volunteering experiences that you have done that are not already included in your application. (2000 characters)

For this question, how recent are we talking? Are they talking like your most recent stuff or stuff you did specifically in college? (I did 4 years in college and am now taking 1 gap year).

Also, are you guys talking about non clinical service stuff as well? Since it asks for clinical exposures and volunteering experiences but does not specify which one they want.
I used last three years, but they leave it vague. Do what you think is best.

I did both clinical and volunteering since that's what they mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users

Personally I am in my second gap year so I wrote just about my gap years! I think it’s up for interp

Why are you interested in Drexel? Please also explain how you meet various elements of our mission - compassionate care, diversity, spirited inquiry, collaboration, and opportunity. (1500 characters)

Feel like this should have more characters. It's literally two questions, and you only get 1500 characters.

Why are you interested in Drexel? Please also explain how you meet various elements of our mission - compassionate care, diversity, spirited inquiry, collaboration, and opportunity. (1500 characters)

Feel like this should have more characters. It's literally two questions, and you only get 1500 characters.
That’s what I thought too… I ended up only having 1 short paragraph about exactly why drexel

But also maybe they realize most students BS this anyways bc we only apply to schools that we have a chance at lmao and don’t actually care

That’s what I thought too… I ended up only having 1 short paragraph about exactly why drexel

But also maybe they realize most students BS this anyways bc we only apply to schools that we have a chance at lmao and don’t actually care
Yeah lol, thats the same thing I did. Really the only thing we can do

I'm an M3 at Cooper (which I love so far), but was also accepted at Drexel. Just wanted to let you guys know my timeline. I was complete at Drexel mid-August 2020 (relatively early on that year bc everything was a few weeks delayed due to covid), never put on hold, received an interview invite (II) mid-February 2021, interviewed in early March 2021, and got the A in mid-May 2021. So there's hope if you're complete, but don't get an II for months (even 6 months)! Drexel seemed to be a little random.

Also, consider applying to Cooper too, even if you’re out of state (it’s in NJ), particularly if you have a strong service background (I was a super strong mission fit)! I was OOS with mid to lower range stats and I added Cooper super late in October, and I’m so happy I ended up choosing it. I live in Philly (Center City, along with many of my classmates) and I have a 10 min train to Cooper. And it’s a smaller class size with more individualized attention/mentorship and early patient interaction (all students are required to work at free community clinic). They truly take a holistic look at each student, so it's not too late to apply!

Reactions: 6 users
2 questions....

For this prompt : (Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school. Please be sure to include any traditional and/or non-traditional clinical exposures and volunteering experiences that you have done that are not already included in your application) ... how many activities are you guys going to talk about? is it better to focus on 2 -3 and go into depth?

and 2) Please describe any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your medical or non-medical service experiences, including any circumstances that impacted your engagement in activities, academics, and MCAT that would have helped to prepare you for medical school.

Is this a covid essay or does it mean circumstances not COVID? Would COVID canceling some of my activities count as extenuating circumstances?

2 questions....

For this prompt : (Please discuss all of your current and recent activities and engagements that have prepared you for medical school. Please be sure to include any traditional and/or non-traditional clinical exposures and volunteering experiences that you have done that are not already included in your application) ... how many activities are you guys going to talk about? is it better to focus on 2 -3 and go into depth?

and 2) Please describe any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your medical or non-medical service experiences, including any circumstances that impacted your engagement in activities, academics, and MCAT that would have helped to prepare you for medical school.

Is this a covid essay or does it mean circumstances not COVID? Would COVID canceling some of my activities count as extenuating circumstances?
for 1 I put 4 activities (all activities im still doing) and i think i gave a few (3-5) sentences for each. nothing too crazy. I would list all the ones you still have going on or if you have a bunch then focus on ones not included in the primary.

for 2 i talked about covid since it did cancel my activities/make it harder to find others.

Im wrapping up my secondary now. For my Masters of Arts I wrote my dissertation on 19th century conceptions of physical and mental health and how those affected contemporary perceptions of Kaiser Wilhelm II's physical disability and mental wellbeing. I talk alot about the option to become a humanities scholar at drexel and complete a capstone project in the medical humanities, I'm wondering if I should lighten off on that considering we only have 1500 characters. My other talking point is location mainly, one of my mentors alwasy cited philidelphia and other large urban centers w diverse populations as providing the best clinical education. Is that a good one? Thanks!

• Wow
For my Masters of Arts I wrote my dissertation on 19th century conceptions of physical and mental health and how those affected contemporary perceptions of Kaiser Wilhelm II's physical disability and mental wellbeing
Big brain

Big brain
the assassins creed/paradox strategy games to history academia pipeline is real lol. I wrote another one about the development of artillery and military tech in the 30 years war but i dont think theyll care as much about the fact I wrote 40 pages on that essentially because 'me like gun gun go boom'

• Love
Im wrapping up my secondary now. For my Masters of Arts I wrote my dissertation on 19th century conceptions of physical and mental health and how those affected contemporary perceptions of Kaiser Wilhelm II's physical disability and mental wellbeing. I talk alot about the option to become a humanities scholar at drexel and complete a capstone project in the medical humanities, I'm wondering if I should lighten off on that considering we only have 1500 characters. My other talking point is location mainly, one of my mentors alwasy cited philidelphia and other large urban centers w diverse populations as providing the best clinical education. Is that a good one? Thanks!
On your second point, I would be wary of saying that as Drexel has two campuses with the same clinical education and the one without the city location is the one with the hospital affiliation. The admissions staff is pretty evenly split between faculty and staff at both campuses.

On your second point, I would be wary of saying that as Drexel has two campuses with the same clinical education and the one without the city location is the one with the hospital affiliation. The admissions staff is pretty evenly split between faculty and staff at both campuses.
welp too late now. I think ill be alright , I dont say that I couldnt receive a good education anywhere else, just that my mentor has repeated that to me and drexel gives me the option for that, there are a **** ton of hospitals in philly that you can rotate at no?

welp too late now. I think ill be alright , I dont say that I couldnt receive a good education anywhere else, just that my mentor has repeated that to me and drexel gives me the option for that, there are a **** ton of hospitals in philly that you can rotate at no?
Not quite that much, most students end up in other Pennsylvania areas which could be right *outside* the city, nearby states, or California. A minority of students get the lottery to do rotational sites in various hospitals around the city, and to my current knowledge (will know better in the winter) there is no year long site *in* the city. That's why students usually need a car by third year, though a sizable amount choose to have a car sooner for the volunteer sites in fringe areas of the city.

unsure if this link works for those outside the institution, but here is the list.

I think the other Philadelphia medical schools get to stay more centrally in the city with their respective hospitals (Penn, Jefferson, Temple) and PCOM has its own thing. Drexel is unique in that you get variety of hospital experiences and often patient populations at the different sites.

Last edited:
Is anyone else applying MD/MPH to Drexel? They ask for a 1-2 page essay about your experiences/interest in public health etc. and I'm not sure how long this is supposed to be (1-2 pages single v. double spaced)

Not quite that much, most students end up in other Pennsylvania areas which could be right *outside* the city, nearby states, or California. A minority of students get the lottery to do rotational sites in various hospitals around the city, and to my current knowledge (will know better in the winter) there is no year long site *in* the city. That's why students usually need a car by third year, though a sizable amount choose to have a car sooner for the volunteer sites in fringe areas of the city.

unsure if this link works for those outside the institution, but here is the list.

I think the other Philadelphia medical schools get to stay more centrally in the city with their respective hospitals (Penn, Jefferson, Temple) and PCOM has its own thing. Drexel is unique in that you get variety of hospital experiences and often patient populations at the different sites.
In that case, task failed successfully!

Hi bit of a silly question but how do I upload a picture for the pfp on the secondary portal? I actually cant figure it out. Do we not need one?

Hi bit of a silly question but how do I upload a picture for the pfp on the secondary portal? I actually cant figure it out. Do we not need one?
I couldn't figure it out either, so I didn't upload one. I'm thinking that they make you upload one after receiving an II because thats how some others schools do it.

hey! so i got a secondary july 14th ago but it went to my spam email and i didn't see it until today when they emailed me reminding me to complete the secondary... anyone have any advice on whether I should email them letting them know that it went to my spam email and thats why i didn't have a quick turn around time? I saw their reminder email today and returned it within an hour. any insight would be appreciated!

hey! so i got a secondary july 14th ago but it went to my spam email and i didn't see it until today when they emailed me reminding me to complete the secondary... anyone have any advice on whether I should email them letting them know that it went to my spam email and thats why i didn't have a quick turn around time? I saw their reminder email today and returned it within an hour. any insight would be appreciated!
If they reminded you it wasn't too late to send it so let it go

Just submitted and realized immediately after hitting the button that I used the abbreviation 'DSOM' throughout the entire 'why us' prompt instead of the real abbreviation 'DCOM.' Better than using another school's name or something, but still kicking myself ugh haha. Hopefully not a dealbreaker!

Just submitted and realized immediately after hitting the button that I used the abbreviation 'DSOM' throughout the entire 'why us' prompt instead of the real abbreviation 'DCOM.' Better than using another school's name or something, but still kicking myself ugh haha. Hopefully not a dealbreaker!
It happens. But I wanted to clarify for everyone else, the correct abbreviation is DUCOM (Drexel University College of Medicine).

• Wow
It happens. But I wanted to clarify for everyone else, the correct abbreviation is DUCOM (Drexel University College of Medicine).
Hahahaha that actually kind of makes me feel better to know I would have messed it up either way 😅 Thank you for saving others from my mistakes!

• Care
I def just submitted and just called them Drexel bc that's what they called themselves in the why us question..... hopefully not an issue lol

Reactions: 4 users
I def just submitted and just called them Drexel bc that's what they called themselves in the why us question..... hopefully not an issue lol
No not at all!!! Just wanted to clarify on the correct abbreviation. Calling them Drexel is just fine too!! 🙂

• Love
How do you guys fit everything in for #2? I agree with the sentiment of wanting more characters for this one. When I try to address everything, I can barely get into any specifics so it all sounds so generic and forgettable. I've re-edited so many times. In my current version, I don't address 3 of their mission elements so that I could give some detail. I'm unsure how to proceed lol :(

How do you guys fit everything in for #2? I agree with the sentiment of wanting more characters for this one. When I try to address everything, I can barely get into any specifics so it all sounds so generic and forgettable. I've re-edited so many times. In my current version, I don't address 3 of their mission elements so that I could give some detail. I'm unsure how to proceed lol :(
It says "various elements" not "all elements", which allows you the choice of which to write about. Do you like yours and does it sound like you? Send it away!

Hey all!

Current MS4 at DUCOM. Happy to answer any questions here or through DMs.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
IS hold received today 8/16, complete 7/31. LM 67. What does a hold mean is it a soft R?

Last edited:
IS hold received today 8/16, complete 7/31. What does a hold mean is it a soft R?
Based on the past cycle, people who got on hold typically don't get an interview. But its a hold and not a R for a reason so there's still a chance.

Based on the past cycle, people who got on hold typically don't get an interview. But its a hold and not a R for a reason so there's still a chance.
Rip hearing back this fast about a hold kinda sucks. Oh well it's gonna be a long cycle.

• Care