2023-2024 Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS II, strong state ties. RD!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
OOS II, strong state ties. RD!

Oh interesting! The supplemental app confirmation email said “Non-resident applicants invited for interview usually interview in late January.” Maybe they just mean that the only interview dates you will be shown are starting in late January but you can get an II at any time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh interesting! The supplemental app confirmation email said “Non-resident applicants invited for interview usually interview in late January.” Maybe they just mean that the only interview dates you will be shown are starting in late January but you can get an II at any time?
I think this typically refers to oos residents without strong ties (as classified by the strong ties definitions given by KU Med)

I think this typically refers to oos residents without strong ties (as classified by the strong ties definitions given by KU Med)

Ok makes sense. I was born in Kansas and lived there for 15 years but when I checked, that isn’t classified as a “strong tie” on their website lol

Last edited:
Ok makes sense. I was born in Kansas and lived there for 15 years but that when I checked that isn’t classified as a “strong tie” on their website lol

I’m surprised that they don’t consider this a strong tie. Obviously I’m speculating, but I would imagine that your app would still be looked at a little more closely than your traditional “no strong tie” applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted July 24. I was not expecting anything until late January from KU. My stats are low, LM 65.
What are your stats? I'm OOS with strong ties (graduated from KU). was complete 8/29 due to waiting on my MCAT score release, but was all submitted by 7/30. Haven't heard back for II yet...

Last edited:
What are your stats? I'm OOS with strong ties (graduated from KU). was complete 8/29 due to waiting on my MCAT score release, but was all submitted by 7/30. Haven't heard back for II yet...
503 MCAT, 3.8 GPA. Tons of experience. From previous threads I believe KU interviews everyone that has above a 500 and a 3.5. As long as they are IS or have strong ties.

Reactions: 2 users
Right on. I meet the requirements for MCAT score and GPA with ties to the state for the interview. Just waiting to hear back. According to their website you just need a 500 MCAT and a 3.0 or better. Hopefully I hear back about that interview soon. The waiting is rough

Just got my II! Super stoked. OOS. Ties to KU. Completed application 8/29.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats please?
3.7 GPA. <505 MCAT. 3500 hrs EMT. Ties to KU. research. 80hr shadowing. Multiple clinical and non clinical volunteering locally and abroad. Tons of underserved work and volunteering.

Last edited:
Anything weird about the interview or anything that threw u off on interview day? My interview is coming up as well

Anything weird about the interview or anything that threw u off on interview day? My interview is coming up as well
Nope. The interview was like I thought it would be. It was actually rather pleasant even though I was still nervous.

i got an OOS invite with string ties. I believe the regular OOS II don’t happen untill January as per their website. And by strong ties, for context, I graduated from KU and my family is all from Kansas and I lived and worked there durning school and post graduation for some years.

Any more IIs? Usually they send them on Fridays but they seem really slow this year.

Interview coming up, any tips on how to prepare?

Mock interviews, look up common questions and think about what you would say, sdn page for the school to look at previous interview questions

Does anyone know if Kansas accepts update letters/letters of intent?
During my interview they said to send an email update if we mentioned something new in the interview, so it seemed so! At some schools you only get one though so maybe check w/ office first!

Is an early interview a good sign?

For this school not really. Everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT gets one so how early you get it is really just a reflection of how early they looked at your file.

During my interview they said to send an email update if we mentioned something new in the interview, so it seemed so! At some schools you only get one though so maybe check w/ office first!

Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year?

Was the interview virtual, in person, or an option of either?

For this school not really. Everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT gets one so how early you get it is really just a reflection of how early they looked at your file.

Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year?
Yep.

Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year
I emailed the admissions office, and they said they only accept one "update" email that you should send immediately before or after your interview. The admissions office also said they don't consider Letters of Intent in the committee's decision, only an update email.

I emailed the admissions office, and they said they only accept one "update" email that you should send immediately before or after your interview. The admissions office also said they don't consider Letters of Intent in the committee's decision, only an update email.
So you can't send an update letter unless you've been offered an II?

So you can't send an update letter unless you've been offered an II?
I think so - I previously sent an update before I received an II but that was regarding citizenship documentation and not updates on activities/papers etc.
When you get an interview, KU sends you an interview day link that has a bunch of videos that provide more info, and in one of the videos, they also state they only accept one update sent very close to the interview date, either right before your interview or after. So it might be better to hold off on sending an update until you get your interview.

GOAT talk, I’ll see you on the other side 🙏🙏

Just got the wait until March email. Interviewed 10/26

Accepted just now, interviewed 10/25

• Love
Reactions: 3 users