You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Kansas
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
broteinpowder
New Member
Congrats! When did you submit? Stats?OOS II, strong state ties. RD!
OOS II, strong state ties. RD!
Oh interesting! The supplemental app confirmation email said “Non-resident applicants invited for interview usually interview in late January.” Maybe they just mean that the only interview dates you will be shown are starting in late January but you can get an II at any time?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this typically refers to oos residents without strong ties (as classified by the strong ties definitions given by KU Med)Oh interesting! The supplemental app confirmation email said “Non-resident applicants invited for interview usually interview in late January.” Maybe they just mean that the only interview dates you will be shown are starting in late January but you can get an II at any time?
I think this typically refers to oos residents without strong ties (as classified by the strong ties definitions given by KU Med)
Ok makes sense. I was born in Kansas and lived there for 15 years but when I checked, that isn’t classified as a “strong tie” on their website lol
Last edited:
substancepee123
Full Member
Ok makes sense. I was born in Kansas and lived there for 15 years but that when I checked that isn’t classified as a “strong tie” on their website lol
I’m surprised that they don’t consider this a strong tie. Obviously I’m speculating, but I would imagine that your app would still be looked at a little more closely than your traditional “no strong tie” applicant.
I submitted July 24. I was not expecting anything until late January from KU. My stats are low, LM 65.Congrats! When did you submit? Stats?
What are your stats? I'm OOS with strong ties (graduated from KU). was complete 8/29 due to waiting on my MCAT score release, but was all submitted by 7/30. Haven't heard back for II yet...I submitted July 24. I was not expecting anything until late January from KU. My stats are low, LM 65.
Last edited:
503 MCAT, 3.8 GPA. Tons of experience. From previous threads I believe KU interviews everyone that has above a 500 and a 3.5. As long as they are IS or have strong ties.What are your stats? I'm OOS with strong ties (graduated from KU). was complete 8/29 due to waiting on my MCAT score release, but was all submitted by 7/30. Haven't heard back for II yet...
Right on. I meet the requirements for MCAT score and GPA with ties to the state for the interview. Just waiting to hear back. According to their website you just need a 500 MCAT and a 3.0 or better. Hopefully I hear back about that interview soon. The waiting is rough
Winnietheranger
New Member
Have any ED applicants heard back?
Just got my II! Super stoked. OOS. Ties to KU. Completed application 8/29.
oatandcholula
Full Member
A friend of a friend got their ED acceptance yesterday. Don't know their stats or anything sorry!Have any ED applicants heard back?
Stats please?Just got my II! Super stoked. OOS. Ties to KU. Completed application 8/29.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.7 GPA. <505 MCAT. 3500 hrs EMT. Ties to KU. research. 80hr shadowing. Multiple clinical and non clinical volunteering locally and abroad. Tons of underserved work and volunteering.Stats please?
Last edited:
bluepigeon87
New Member
I received an EDP II on Sep 5th. Was deferred to reg decision pool. Did you also do EDP?Have any ED applicants heard back?
physicalpurchase
Full Member
Just had my interview. I think it went well!
Just had my interview. I think it went well!
Was it just a traditional interview?
physicalpurchase
Full Member
Two sections to the interview: 1 open file interview and 1 closed file interview. 1-2 interviewers per section and both were 30 mins each.Was it just a traditional interview?
physicalpurchase
Full Member
517, 3.8x, IS with ~300 hours of research at the KUMC, ~800 total research hours, 25 hrs shadowing, ~225 hours clinical volunteeringDo you mind sharing stats?
physicalpurchase
Full Member
Nope. The interview was like I thought it would be. It was actually rather pleasant even though I was still nervous.Anything weird about the interview or anything that threw u off on interview day? My interview is coming up as well
i got an OOS invite with string ties. I believe the regular OOS II don’t happen untill January as per their website. And by strong ties, for context, I graduated from KU and my family is all from Kansas and I lived and worked there durning school and post graduation for some years.
www.kumc.edu
Selection Process
Follow the status of the KU School of Medicine selection process using a tracking tool in the supplemental MD program application.
Any more IIs? Usually they send them on Fridays but they seem really slow this year.
Interview coming up, any tips on how to prepare?
Mock interviews, look up common questions and think about what you would say, sdn page for the school to look at previous interview questions
oatandcholula
Full Member
IS II, marked complete 09/12! RD, Dec. 1 interview.
butterfly03
Full Member
IS II! marked complete 9/13. LM 71.6
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
oatandcholula
Full Member
Yes! Sorry I don't know my LM but 519 + 3.85Do you mind sharing stats?
Justchallenge4
Full Member
Does anyone know if Kansas accepts update letters/letters of intent?
Received IS II yesterday (10/25)! RD, Nov 30 interview
physicalpurchase
Full Member
Is an early interview a good sign?
mousemouse
New Member
During my interview they said to send an email update if we mentioned something new in the interview, so it seemed so! At some schools you only get one though so maybe check w/ office first!Does anyone know if Kansas accepts update letters/letters of intent?
Is an early interview a good sign?
For this school not really. Everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT gets one so how early you get it is really just a reflection of how early they looked at your file.
During my interview they said to send an email update if we mentioned something new in the interview, so it seemed so! At some schools you only get one though so maybe check w/ office first!
Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year?
butterfly03
Full Member
Was the interview virtual, in person, or an option of either?
interviews are virtual!
mousemouse
New Member
Yep.For this school not really. Everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT gets one so how early you get it is really just a reflection of how early they looked at your file.
Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year?
I emailed the admissions office, and they said they only accept one "update" email that you should send immediately before or after your interview. The admissions office also said they don't consider Letters of Intent in the committee's decision, only an update email.For this school not really. Everyone above a certain GPA/MCAT gets one so how early you get it is really just a reflection of how early they looked at your file.
Really? I remember that they said they don't accept update letters after the interview. Maybe it's different this year
irishdoc28
Full Member
So you can't send an update letter unless you've been offered an II?I emailed the admissions office, and they said they only accept one "update" email that you should send immediately before or after your interview. The admissions office also said they don't consider Letters of Intent in the committee's decision, only an update email.
I think so - I previously sent an update before I received an II but that was regarding citizenship documentation and not updates on activities/papers etc.So you can't send an update letter unless you've been offered an II?
When you get an interview, KU sends you an interview day link that has a bunch of videos that provide more info, and in one of the videos, they also state they only accept one update sent very close to the interview date, either right before your interview or after. So it might be better to hold off on sending an update until you get your interview.
physicalpurchase
Full Member
IS A, 11/9
Good luck everyone!
Good luck everyone!
when did you interview???IS A, 11/9
Good luck everyone!
physicalpurchase
Full Member
10/12, took them exactly four weeks to get back to mewhen did you interview???
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mousemouse
New Member
sameJust got the wait until March email. Interviewed 10/26
Do you mind sharing your stats?same