2023-2024 Mayo Clinic - Minnesota (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @OreoLover365 for sharing this year's prompts (and @T Swizzle and @Lobe for confirming):

2023-2024 Mayo Clinic Secondary Prompts (500 words each)

1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top track choice you indicated.

2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities, but also in your relationship with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.

MSTP Applicants

In the space below, write a brief paragraph (max. 500 characters) explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic MD-PhD Program.

**Note**: If you opt for MD-only consideration if rejected from the MSTP, then the application adds the MD prompts that you previously did not have to do.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are these the secondaries for Mayo? I just saw them on their website, but I wasn't sure how legit they were (since the second question would replace 2 of their older questions).

Secondary application questions
1. Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top track choice you indicated.
2. Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities, but also in your relationship with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.

Are these the secondaries for Mayo? I just saw them on their website, but I wasn't sure how legit they were (since the second question would replace 2 of their older questions).

Secondary application questions
Wrote my responses for last year's questions the day before I saw these lol but yea it seems like these are this year's questions. Comparing the site now with the waybackmachine, they have definitely updated it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have word count?
It was 500 last year and the prompts are basically the same (with one removed) so I'm guessing it's most likely 500 again this year.

It was 500 last year and the prompts are basically the same (with one removed) so I'm guessing it's most likely 500 again this year.
Ah I already prewrote and now the thought of combining 1000 words into one essay is daunting

Not sure if there’s any major differences besides geography, but geography is basically entirely what I’m going off of.

Not sure if there’s any major differences besides geography, but geography is basically entirely what I’m going off of.
slightly different patient populations too (what i'm going off of)

slightly different patient populations too (what i'm going off of)
What differences in patient populations have you been able to gather? I've been having a hard time figuring it out just based on their website.

What differences in patient populations have you been able to gather? I've been having a hard time figuring it out just based on their website.
Phoenix metro area has a much larger non-white (especially Latino) population.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone getting access denied when you try to set up your account? I tried clearing my cookies and trying a different container and it didn't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for a friend - If they have strong ties to the Arizona area, does it hurt their chances to also list the Minnesota track as a second preference? Can you get an acceptance to more than one track? I never applied here when I went through my cycle so I have no clue.

has anyone else not received a secondary yet? I was verified and submitted on the first day and I'm starting to worry.

I’m in the same boat
They're probably just slow with it and doing it in batches, I wouldn't worry too much. I received my Mayo secondary last Friday (slightly delayed), but for other schools like NYU and BU my secondary still hasn't come even though other people have gotten them days ago.

I received mine yesterday. They are doing batches it seems

Do they screen? I still haven’t gotten an MD secondary

500 words seems a lot longer than most other schools' questions...does it reflect poorly to only use 200-300 of the word count? Obviously don't want to write stuff that's fluff just to fill space, but really not sure what else to put.

Has anyone applying MSTP received secondaries?
got one today!

There's just a single prompt for MSTP @chilly_md
In the space below, write a brief paragraph (max. 500 characters) explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic MD-PhD Program.

If you opt for MD-only consideration if rejected from the MSTP though then the application adds the MD prompts.

got one today!

There's just a single prompt for MSTP @chilly_md

If you opt for MD-only consideration if rejected from the MSTP though then the application adds the MD prompts.
Thanks for sharing this information.

I am not sure how to go about answering which track to apply to. The website doesn't show much differences between the campuses..

I am not sure how to go about answering which track to apply to. The website doesn't show much differences between the campuses..
Major difference would be patient population/demographics. Huge urban area vs smaller city, potentially geographic ties if you have any

Does the 2nd question want us to talk about ourselves at all?

• Hmm
Anyone else super confused about the second prompt? Like it's a diversity essay, but it is not lol

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else super confused about the second prompt? Like it's a diversity essay, but it is not lol
Same. I feel like the question doesn't make sense. Diversity in my relationships with others in diverse learning environments???? Are they asking if I can interact with diverse classmates? Like I don't get it lol

Same. I feel like the question doesn't make sense. Diversity in my relationships with others in diverse learning environments???? Are they asking if I can interact with diverse classmates? Like I don't get it lol
I guess??? imo it might be something about being able to collaborate with a diverse student body being like treating patients of diverse backgrounds and collaborating with healthcare personnel of diverse backgrounds too.

I kind of approached it as how the diversity in my background/upbringing shaped how I interact and collaborate with others? Took me a hot minute to decide how to frame it

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users