2023-2024 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Stanford Secondary Essays and Questions

1) Are there any current or pending disputes concerning your academic status?
If yes, please explain. (300 character limit)

2) Was your enrollment status ever interrupted during your undergraduate or graduate program, not including summer term (e.g. medical, personal, or academic reasons, military service, other)?
If yes, please explain. (150 character limit)

3) PRACTICE SETTING
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:
Academic Medicine (Clinical)
Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
Non-Academic Clinical Practice
Health Policy
Health Administration
Primary Care
Public Health/Community Health
Global Health

Please describe your motivation for this practice scenario. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1,000 character limit)

4) CURRICULAR INTERESTS
How will you take advantage of the Stanford Medicine Discovery Curriculum and scholarly concentration requirement to achieve your personal career goals? (1,000 character limit)

5) BACKGROUND
Describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.
(for example) I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a supermarket cashier and a high school principal. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama. (600 character limit)

6) CONTRIBUTION TO LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Please describe which aspects of your life experiences, interests, and character would help you to make a distinctive contribution to Stanford Medicine. (2,000 character limit)

7) Please describe how you have uniquely contributed to a community with which you identify. (1,000 character limit)

8) ADVOCACY
Please describe an experience/ situation when you advocated for someone else. (1,000 character limit)

9) ANYTHING ELSE?
(OPTIONAL) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) (1,000 character limit)

10) Health Belief and Attitude Survey
Give YOUR opinion for each item using the responses below. Prior to any potential use of this information for any research purpose, your name and unique identifiers will be removed from the data set to ensure anonymity.
Physicians should ask patients for their opinions about their illness.
Strongly Disagree / Moderately Disagree / Mildly Disagree / Mildly Agree / Moderately Agree / Strongly Agree

It is important to know patients' points of view for the purpose of diagnosis.
Strongly Disagree / Moderately Disagree / Mildly Disagree / Mildly Agree / Moderately Agree / Strongly Agree

Patients may lose confidence in the physician if the physician asks their opinion about their illness or problem.

Understanding patients' opinions about their illness helps physicians reach correct diagnosis.

A physician can give excellent care without knowing patients' opinions about their illnesses or problems.

Understanding patients' opinions about their illnesses helps physicians provide better care.

A Physician can give excellent health care without knowing a patients' understanding of his or her illnesses.

Physicians should ask their patients' what they believe is the cause of their problem/illness.

A physician should learn about their patients' cultural perspective.

Physician can learn from their patients' perspectives on their illnesses or problems.

Physicians should ask their patients why they think their illness has occurred.

Physicians should ask about how an illness is impacting a patient's life.

Physicians should make empathic statements about their patients' illness or problems.

Physicians should ask patients for their feelings about their illness or problems.

Physicians do not need to ask about patients' personal lives or relationships to provide good health care.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Stanford University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
(Before anyone freaks out, no I haven't received a secondary yet, I'm just pre-writing). I'm a little confused about the Discovery Curriculum - I would want to do an MD + Scholarly Concentration, but I'm afraid of accidentally writing about my enthusiasm for something outside this realm. Can I write about a PI I would want to work with or an area of research I'd want to pursue? I'm interested in some initiatives from Stanford Law or things in the CA community that Stanford Med doesn't necessarily have a direct connection to yet, but I don't know if that wouldn't be viewed positively. If anyone has insight into how the Curriculum actually works and what's on the table to write about, it would be super helpful. Thank you & good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have insight into what is right and wrong but Stanford has massive resources. I would not write about wanting to do something that they don't have. You would be better served to google someone on faculty who you could work with on site. JMHO.

Last year, Stanford sent out secondaries 5 days after the first set of primaries went out, wonder why the delay this year

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Does Stanford prescreen? On vacation and wondering if I should pull out my laptop and finish pre-writing or just wait and see if I even get one lol

Reactions: 1 users
Does Stanford prescreen? On vacation and wondering if I should pull out my laptop and finish pre-writing or just wait and see if I even get one lol
I don't think Stanford prescreens. Enjoy that vacation until we get the official prompts :)

"Please describe an experience/situation when you advocated for someone else."

If this prompt stays the same this year, how are y'all defining the word "advocated"? Are they seeking a particular instance where we spoke up for someone facing discrimination, or is the question intended to encompass broader situations, such as supporting the specific requirements of a patient or similar cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received a secondary besides that one person above?

Same as last years except there is no COVID essay and the diversity/contribution prompt is now "Please describe which aspects of your life experiences, interests, and character would help you to make a distinctive contribution to Stanford Medicine." (2000 characters)

Is anyone else not able to select a program on the Program Designation page?

Im so confused why some schools take a while if they don't prescreen, like why is Stanford in particular taking a while when a lot of schools have already sent their secondaries?

Reactions: 2 users
Im so confused why some schools take a while if they don't prescreen, like why is Stanford in particular taking a while when a lot of schools have already sent their secondaries?
Think some schools had technical difficulties with the software system this year. Emory, Tufts, and USC which are also usually quick have been slow this year too.

Please cut and paste the exact prompts and tag the moderate above! THANK YOU!
1) Are there any current or pending disputes concerning your academic status?

If yes, please explain. Please limit your answer to 300 characters including spaces.

2) Was your enrollment status ever interrupted during your undergraduate or graduate program, not including summer term (e.g. medical, personal, or academic reasons, military service, other)?

If yes, please explain. Please limit your response to 150 characters including spaces.

3) PRACTICE SETTING
What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:
Academic Medicine (Clinical)
Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
Non-Academic Clinical Practice
Health Policy
Health Administration
Primary Care
Public Health/Community Health
Global Health

Please describe your motivation for this practice scenario. Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

4) CURRICULAR INTERESTS

How will you take advantage of the Stanford Medicine Discovery Curriculum and scholarly concentration requirement to achieve your personal career goals?

5) BACKGROUND

Describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.

E.g., I grew up in New York City, as the 3rd child of a supermarket cashier and a high school principal. I attended Mann High School where my major interests were boxing and drama.

Please limit your answer to 600 characters including spaces.

6) CONTRIBUTION TO LEARNING ENVIRONMENT

Please describe which aspects of your life experiences, interests, and character would help you to make a distinctive contribution to Stanford Medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

7) Please describe how you have uniquely contributed to a community with which you identify.

8) ADVOCACY
Please describe an experience/ situation when you advocated for someone else.

9) ANYTHING ELSE?

Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)

10) Health Belief and Attitude Survey
Give YOUR opinion for each item using the responses below. Prior to any potential use of this information for any research purpose, your name and unique identifiers will be removed from the data set to ensure anonymity.
Physicians should ask patients for their opinions about their illness.
Strongly DisagreeModerately DisagreeMildly DisagreeMildly AgreeModerately AgreeStrongly Agree

It is important to know patients' points of view for the purpose of diagnosis.,
Strongly DisagreeModerately DisagreeMildly DisagreeMildly AgreeModerately AgreeStrongly Agree

Patients may lose confidence in the physician if the physician asks their opinion about their illness or problem.

Understanding patients' opinions about their illness helps physicians reach correct diagnosis.

A physician can give excellent care without knowing patients' opinions about their illnesses or problems.

Understanding patients' opinions about their illnesses helps physicians provide better care.

A Physician can give excellent health care without knowing a patients' understanding of his or her illnesses.

Physicians should ask their patients' what they believe is the cause of their problem/illness.

A physician should learn about their patients' cultural perspective.

Physician can learn from their patients' perspectives on their illnesses or problems.

Physicians should ask their patients why they think their illness has occurred.

Physicians should ask about how an illness is impacting a patient's life.

Physicians should make empathic statements about their patients' illness or problems.

Physicians should ask patients for their feelings about their illness or problems.

Physicians do not need to ask about patients' personal lives or relationships to provide good health care.

@wysdoc

Can I just clarify since my secondary is pending... #10 is going to be anonymous and not evaluated in regards to admissions? And will be used for research?

Or are they giving us their own version of the Preview test? LOL

Can I just clarify since my secondary is pending... #10 is going to be anonymous and not evaluated in regards to admissions? And will be used for research?

Or are they giving us their own version of the Preview test? LOL
Yea it appears to be anonymous

Is anyone else still waiting on a secondary despite being verified early?

Reactions: 5 users
This is another loooong one and they're lowkey interesting and insightful questions so I hate it and I also don't

• Haha
Thanks @gekyumewrld for sharing the questions
If you select academic medicine (physician-scientist) as the career option for question #3 it adds this prompt:

Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.

Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.

If you select academic medicine (physician-scientist) as the career option for question #3 it adds this prompt:

Describe your most significant research experience. Include the rationale, results, and conclusions, and the role you played in each of these components.

Please limit your answer to 2,500 characters including spaces.
Dang, I thought I was done prewriting my last secondary :cryi:

Time to get back to work