2023-2024 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does choosing PSTP also put you in consideration for MD only? Or are they separate and mutually exclusive?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, does choosing “academic medicine (physician scientist)” mean you have to apply PSTP? Or is it just that one extra question? (Sorry I don’t have the secondary yet so I’m just wondering)

Also, does choosing “academic medicine (physician scientist)” mean you have to apply PSTP? Or is it just that one extra question? (Sorry I don’t have the secondary yet so I’m just wondering)
I’m doing the sole MD program but chose that track…unsure about PSTP specific prompts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m doing the sole MD program but chose that track…unsure about PSTP specific prompts
Thanks for the clarification! I was worried that they were going to make us answer the PSTP questions if we chose “academic medicine (physician scientist)”

According to Stanford's website, you can matriculate as regular MD and apply into the PSTP program as a med student if you are interested. In their words this process is "not competitive."

Members don't see this ad :)
9) ANYTHING ELSE?
(OPTIONAL) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL) (1,000 character limit)
Any ideas on how to approach this question? Do you guys think its truly optional, or 'optional'? Failing to see how it's any different than #6

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Does Stanford accept updates throughout the application cycle? I couldn't find an official statement from them about it

Might be a dumb question but worth including a publication from a high-school journal (NHSJS) for work I did in HS that was "published" when I was in college? If it makes any difference I presented the same work at ISEF, but seems like anything done before college is not really worth much. Edit: also it was technically peer-reviewed if it makes a difference as well

Last edited:
Might be a dumb question but worth including a publication from a high-school journal (NHSJS) for work I did in HS that was "published" when I was in college? If it makes any difference I presented the same work at ISEF, but seems like anything done before college is not really worth much. Edit: also it was technically peer-reviewed if it makes a difference as well
Pubs last forever so yes. ISEF is impressive too, I'm mentioning my ISEF experiences in relevant research prompts for different schools if they ask about overall interest in research and stuff like that.

Pubs last forever so yes. ISEF is impressive too, I'm mentioning my ISEF experiences in relevant research prompts for different schools if they ask about overall interest in research and stuff like that.
Unfortunate that I'm realizing this for my last secondary after leaving my HS stuff off all my other ones but c'est la vie😭😭thank u!

+1 IS secondary received (verified 7/13)

How are people differentiating between
Academic Medicine (Clinical) and Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)? I want to do research as a PI but split 50/50 clinical med and research like my PIs do currently not as a PI who mainly just runs a lab. Also the research I want to do is more clinical trial and QI oriented (larger theme being patient outcome improvement). Don’t want to solely do QI either because I see clinical research and clinical trials as complimenting/enabling QI work.

Last edited:
Academic Medicine (Clinical) and Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)? I want to do research as a PI but split 50/50 clinical med and research like my PIs do currently not as a PI who mainly just runs a lab
That was a tough one for me but what I'm seeing more and more in the medical community is that the phrase physician scientist is often associated with basic science research or non clinical research. I may be wrong, but that's also the kind of research it sounds like the PSTP students at Stanford do. So I went with academic clinical since I want to do patient care primarily but also some clinical projects and conferences and stuff on the side.

It sounds like the academic med physician scientist is better for you.

Does Stanford accept updates throughout the application cycle? I couldn't find an official statement from them about it
After submitting the secondary they explicitly say not to submit updates unless you are offered an interview

2º submitted, my last one! This means it's out of my hands now and I shouldn't worry...right? 😬

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Any insight on how to approach the "contributed uniquely to a community you identify with" question?

Any insight on how to approach the "contributed uniquely to a community you identify with" question?
I wrote about starting a group for students interested in healthcare who are part of the same religious community as mine to discuss issues in healthcare that put us at the crossroads of our duty to our patients and what our religion teaches (example is ofc reproductive healthcare). Not sure if that is a good example?

I wrote about starting a group for students interested in healthcare who are part of the same religious community as mine to discuss issues in healthcare that put us at the crossroads of our duty to our patients and what our religion teaches (example is ofc reproductive healthcare). Not sure if that is a good example?
no that was helpful! that in itself sounds cool as hell

Reactions: 2 users
Dayum

• Haha
Ya i'll just see myself out

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Ya i'll just see myself out
lol no man, I am actually a bit worried since religion and academia don't usually mix well but wrote about it anyway since I had nothing else that fit the prompt. Also this group like barely started haha, trust me it's not all that

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
for MSTP applicants. Did you repeat your AMCAS research activities for the secondaries? Same question for patient-related, teaching, and service-oriented activities? At this point, I don't even understand why we do the AMCAS if they're going to ask for it again....

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary? (Verified 7/5) MD only

Mine wasn’t as advanced as the other guys, sadly. I designed a second major dedicated to medical humanities and then helped head up an illness narrative listening group because I identify with those with more silent illnesses and story telling as a whole after experiences with myself and my mom. I’m ORM and such so this was where I found my place.

Mine wasn’t as advanced as the other guys, sadly. I designed a second major dedicated to medical humanities and then helped head up an illness narrative listening group because I identify with those with more silent illnesses and story telling as a whole after experiences with myself and my mom. I’m ORM and such so this was where I found my place.
This is excellent

seriously impressive

Academic Medicine (Clinical) and Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)? I want to do research as a PI but split 50/50 clinical med and research like my PIs do currently not as a PI who mainly just runs a lab. Also the research I want to do is more clinical trial and QI oriented (larger theme being patient outcome improvement). Don’t want to solely do QI either because I see clinical research and clinical trials as complimenting/enabling QI work.
Academic Medicine (Clinical) is where you'd be majority patient care with some clinical trial work from a physician standpoint. Academic medicine (physician scientist) is more benchwork but you can still be involved in trials and such as a physician.

Academic Medicine (Clinical) is where you'd be majority patient care with some clinical trial work from a physician standpoint. Academic medicine (physician scientist) is more benchwork but you can still be involved in trials and such as a physician.
So should we be talking about patient care and research?

As someone who works in clinical research right now I think the line is more blurry than just this. For example, one of the physicians I work with def defines themselves as a "clinical physician" and runs multiple clinic trials, but also has his own benchwork lab with its own internal clinic trials! The way I look at it is your primary goals and responsibilities. I think clinical academics are more focused on patient care, are likely seeing patients outside of their research, probably still do ward work, etc. In comparison, a physician scientist's focus is on their research. While this often does include patient/clinical research, their primary goals are not on benefiting patients through direct care but through furthering research goals and treatments. TL;DR, you define yourself. Just make it clear what you want to do and justify how you want to be defined and no one is going to dock you for "choosing the wrong category".

As someone who works in clinical research right now I think the line is more blurry than just this. For example, one of the physicians I work with def defines themselves as a "clinical physician" and runs multiple clinic trials, but also has his own benchwork lab with its own internal clinic trials! The way I look at it is your primary goals and responsibilities. I think clinical academics are more focused on patient care, are likely seeing patients outside of their research, probably still do ward work, etc. In comparison, a physician scientist's focus is on their research. While this often does include patient/clinical research, their primary goals are not on benefiting patients through direct care but through furthering research goals and treatments. TL;DR, you define yourself. Just make it clear what you want to do and justify how you want to be defined and no one is going to dock you for "choosing the wrong category".
I agree, but sometimes it's nice to give people a more definite line to explain unless they truly know their path with it (which is hard young). My mentor (and me) go to clinic together and also do benchwork for cellular immunotherapy to put in trials. I think I could consider that either and it be fine.

should i add my peer reviewed abstracts to the publications section? They have been published in a pretty respected journal...

• Wow
should i add my peer reviewed abstracts to the publications section? They have been published in a pretty respected journal...
I also had this question and chose not to add them. I didn't want to seem like I was fluffing it up, and they can see my abstracts on my primary anyways