2023-2024 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
very finals week question here... but does anyone know if our second semester GPA would influence our spot on the WL? Im not like tanking its just like would a B+/A- vs an A in a class be a difference?
Maybe? There is much, much more that goes into a medical school acceptance than a single semester GPA.
 
Hey guys,

So I had a question for anyone familiar with UVM. Is the clinical experience better at either location? My concern is that there isn’t that many people at the Vt locations which means that you might not see as many patients compared to Ct or is that actually good since you will be able to interact with attendings more?


Thank you.
 
Hey guys,

So I had a question for anyone familiar with UVM. Is the clinical experience better at either location? My concern is that there isn’t that many people at the Vt locations which means that you might not see as many patients compared to Ct or is that actually good since you will be able to interact with attendings more?


Thank you.
I have moved your post to the Vermont thread as that is where you will most likely hear from existing students or applicants in the local area.
 
Hey guys,

So I had a question for anyone familiar with UVM. Is the clinical experience better at either location? My concern is that there isn’t that many people at the Vt locations which means that you might not see as many patients compared to Ct or is that actually good since you will be able to interact with attendings more?


Thank you.
You'll get good experience at either. Will it be the same experience as a school in a major city? Probably not, but people travel hours (not because of traffic but because of distance) to go to UVMMC so you will see lots of interesting pathologies. Not a ton of ethnic diversity but lots of socioeconomic diversity across VT. Some high acuity patients choose to go to Boston, though. I know a few people who went to UVM and they were able to get great hands-on training with more autonomy than big-name academic centers. As long as you are competent and enthusiastic you will get great training.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm unwell thank you for asking. looks like there was WL movement this time last year but doesn't sound like anyone's seen any yet 😭
I’m hoping we’ll see some movement soon, let’s keep the hope alive!

Edit: just saw that there was some movement. Let’s hope that the traction continues. We got this!! Our time will come!!
 
Last edited:
Congrats to all the recently accepted folks 🙂 I am new to SDN and interested in connecting with people/finding potential roommates.. feel free to message me (I'm female but have no gender preferences)
 
Congrats to all the recently accepted folks 🙂 I am new to SDN and interested in connecting with people/finding potential roommates.. feel free to message me (I'm female but have no gender preferences)
is there a groupme or facebook for accepted students?
There is a facebook group link on the "useful links" tab on the accepted students page. Overview, Admitted, Larner College of Medicine Admissions, Larner college of Medicine at the University of Vermont
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Its been like 6 months since i interviewed but if i recall i think their curriculum emphasizes in person class for the most part
We were told that the classes are recorded and not mandatory during Closer Look. They let you know about mandatory sessions when they come up. From the students I talked to it seemed like about half preferred to just watch recordings at home and the other half went to lectures, but it was not mandatory.
 
So whats the 101 on clothing I need in vermont coming from the west coast lol
Business casual for clinical functions. Get a lightweight fleece for 40-60deg weather and a heavy down/puffer jacket for when it gets really cold. Layer in sweaters etc as needed. At least one pair of waterproof boots for walking around campus, it's snowy or sleet/muddy for like 7-8 months.
 
Are you saying the "Your Student Aid Index (SAI)" number is the same as EFC? I thought EFC would be 0 since we file as independent now on the FAFSA, also my family will in fact be contributing 0 lol
I think that’s why they renamed it, because the SAI/EFC has always looked at how much the people technically financially responsible for you—your parents when you’re still an undergrad or yourself once you turn 24 (I think that’s the age). Essentially the SAI is how much you should be able to reasonably pay towards your academic fees (theoretically).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad