2023-2024 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Virginia Tech (Carilion) Secondary Essay Prompts ...(all new except #4) (Interviews are in person this year)

1. Explain why integrity is more important than intelligence and perseverance using an example from your life (600 words).

2. Explain how your concept of diversity is both the same and different from the mainstream view (600 words).

3. Choose one aspect about yourself, not already reflected in your application, that you are most proud of. Explain your choice below (600 words).

4. Please describe something you deserved but didn’t get and how you felt about it (600 words).

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is it worth pre-writing VTC? I saw the prompts changed last year from the previous years

Is it worth pre-writing VTC? I saw the prompts changed last year from the previous years
VTC is one of the few ones I've learned that people hold off on bc of their changing prompts so I'm doing the same. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc
OOS Received at 9:18AM est

Explain why integrity is more important than intelligence and perseverance using an example from your life (600 words).

Explain how your concept of diversity is both the same and different from the mainstream view (600 words).

Choose one aspect about yourself, not already reflected in your application, that you are most proud of. Explain your choice below (600 words).

Please describe something you deserved but didn’t get and how you felt about it (600 words).

@wysdoc
OOS Received at 9:18AM est

Explain why integrity is more important than intelligence and perseverance using an example from your life (600 words).

Explain how your concept of diversity is both the same and different from the mainstream view (600 words).

Choose one aspect about yourself, not already reflected in your application, that you are most proud of. Explain your choice below (600 words).

Please describe something you deserved but didn’t get and how you felt about it (600 words).
Thanks, @demetriusclair
Interesting questions, not like all the other schools!

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh back to in-person interviews this cycle. Thought I'd save some money with virtual interviews but looks like that won't be the case :(

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received, I'm not sure if I should apply though? My degree is in Public health and I don't have any research.... any thoughts? haha

Most schools don't emphasize a student having research
Hmm, isn't this school engineering-focused though? My app is extremely service-based and primary care focused on. Do you think I have a chance here?

Has anyone not received the secondary yet? Received the notification they received my primary on 7/3, OOS

Edit: Received 7/7

Last edited:
3. Choose one aspect about yourself, not already reflected in your application, that you are most proud of. Explain your choice below

Are folks interpreting this as like, a character trait? An identity? An activity?

Struggling to figure out what they want from here.

Is anyone reaching the 600 word limit on these? I feel like there's not all that much to say for some of the questions

Is anyone reaching the 600 word limit on these? I feel like there's not all that much to say for some of the questions
i doubt i'll get to 600 on any of them. my longest one is around 400 words, shortest one is around 280, though i may add a bit more to it.

3. Choose one aspect about yourself, not already reflected in your application, that you are most proud of. Explain your choice below

Are folks interpreting this as like, a character trait? An identity? An activity?

Struggling to figure out what they want from here.
TLDR: yes.

II received!! OOS, ORM, complete 7/11 no ties to VA

Reactions: 4 users
Do we need to verify in-state status somehow? I'm VA in-state but haven't lived there for a while but was wondering how med schools would know that I'm instate for VA.

reapp top choice, submitted last week! anyone else a reapp? the class size is so small :(

any other IIs for VTC or has it been quiet since august?

II just now. first school that is only doing in-person interviewing. That commute time and hotel fees are going to be rough.

EDIT: I'm IS, my LM is average for school

In state interview invite received today! My very first :) LM 68

• Care
Does anyone know how strict they are with online courses? On their website, it says: At this time, online science lab courses do not meet our prerequisite requirements. However, in these instances, graded advanced courses in these areas are highly recommended.

My only options for all the o-chem courses were online, and I didn't take any extra courses in that department. I'm wondering if this will be an instant reject

Does anyone know how strict they are with online courses? On their website, it says: At this time, online science lab courses do not meet our prerequisite requirements. However, in these instances, graded advanced courses in these areas are highly recommended.

My only options for all the o-chem courses were online, and I didn't take any extra courses in that department. I'm wondering if this will be an instant reject
Just my personal experience but I had an interview and took multiple online courses/labs (extension program)!

I’m an M1 at VTC. Feel free to hit me with questions, and I’ll do my best to answer!