2023-2024 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m an M1 at VTC. Feel free to hit me with questions, and I’ll do my best to answer!
How would you describe the school's culture and core values? Does it want to be known for med students with research? with community health experience in Appalachia (vs. anywhere in the state or region)? with its small group-based curricula?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How would you describe the school's culture and core values? Does it want to be known for med students with research? with community health experience in Appalachia (vs. anywhere in the state or region)? with its small group-based curricula?
The school's culture is unparalleled, in my opinion. We are a very tight-knit group, and the faculty is open, welcoming, and supportive. The core values revolve around community, patient-centered care, and scientific inquiry (literally they stick to the mission statement you would find on MSAR).

I don't know if VTC "wants to be known" for med students with research, but they are definitely proud of the work their medical students are doing and have gotten feedback from residency directors that it's really impressive work. Being an MD program with a robust research curriculum differentiates us from other programs.

I can't definitively comment on the community health experience here vs the rest of the state, but in my experience in Virginia (Hampton Roads area, NOVA, and Richmond), it seems like there is more opportunity to get experience in community health here. Roanoke has a large population of medically underserved people, and the Bradley Free Clinic provides great opportunities to get involved early in treating this community. I got to be involved in patient care literally during my first block.

The problem-based learning is my favorite part of being a student at VTC so far. I've had quite a broad range of educational experiences up to this point, and I think this is the environment in which I learn best, personally.

I hope I answered your questions comprehensively. Let me know if I missed anything!

Overall, attending VTC is the best decision I could have made for myself. There is so much opportunity for personal, academic, and professional growth here.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have an idea how likely it is to be admitted from the active status pool during the second round?
 
Pre-II R OOS submitted at the beginning of cycle, stats very similar to the rest of us rejected today, best of luck to you all!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is your clinical involvement?
Def the weaker part of my app - 200 hours volunteering in OR and 100 hours shadowing. Feel like it is good enough and I wrote well enough about it tho because I have 5 DO II and multiple acceptances out of 9 DO’s applied to
 
Are updates accepted here? Or limited to pre/post-II?
On their applicant portal they offer a space to upload multiple different documents if you'd like to provide an update. I'm pretty sure it's there for everyone regardless if you have interviewed or not.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone talk about whether they think the welcome event the day before the interview is worth attending? I'm trying to find flights that will work with my work schedule and see if it is worth spending the extra money to get an earlier flight.