2023-2024 Virginia

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that is true but they also accept a huge number of applicants because of this reason (more so than any other T20-30 school). Although they assure that there is some movement off the WL every year.
They don’t have a ranking in the waitlist right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not sure what your scores are, but VCU pretty consistently skims out the top MCAT scores, like if you got above a 518/520
This is pretty close to what UVA's pre-health advising office told me last summer. They told me that, as an OOS student, I'd probably have a better shot at UVA than at VCU because I scored quite well on the MCAT (retook an aging 518 and got a 523) and got my bachelor's there. Not that UVA gave me any love last cycle or this cycle...
 
This is pretty close to what UVA's pre-health advising office told me last summer. They told me that, as an OOS student, I'd probably have a better shot at UVA than at VCU because I scored quite well on the MCAT (retook an aging 518 and got a 523) and got my bachelor's there. Not that UVA gave me any love last cycle or this cycle...
im quite shocked that they didn't even give you an II with that MCAT and it was your alma mater. That seems crazy
 
im quite shocked that they didn't even give you an II with that MCAT and it was your alma mater. That seems crazy
Unfortunately, my GPA was not quite as good (3.8 cGPA / 3.66 sGPA). Not *entirely* out of the realm of possibility, but definitely not doing me any favors at a school known to be so... particular about grades. If only I had known about Anki in undergrad...
 
Unfortunately, my GPA was not quite as good (3.8 cGPA / 3.66 sGPA). Not *entirely* out of the realm of possibility, but definitely not doing me any favors at a school known to be so... particular about grades. If only I had known about Anki in undergrad...
That is a great GPA and a tremendous MCAT score! You should be proud of yourself and no matter what school you go to, you're gonna kill! 🙂
 
Hi! Are there any past students I can talk to or does UVA have ambassadors to ask about student life/ dating lol (from a woman). Im scared that living in a small southern town as someone from an nyc suburb, I would struggle to meet people outside of my class/maybe a few of the law students or mbas or phds that would be my age
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1710182717447.gif
 
How should I address a letter of interest? To the admissions committee? Or is there anyone in particular that would be better to address it to?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone applying to the generalist scholar program or any past students that have done it? is it worth the extra work?
 
I think it's only for people who are interested in family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, and primary care. You get awarded the money in your fourth year if you have committed to doing that specialty
yup, i'm aware that it is intended for students interested in primary care. not really focusing on the money right now but more so the research and opportunities that you get for mentorship with the program. I'm wondering if its worth it for someone who is interested in primary care but also other fields. Or is it more for people who are committed to becoming a PCP? For me, I like primary care and want to explore it further but I also like surgery so I wonder if this program will hinder me from pursuing opportunities/research in those areas?
 
Just got a need-based financial aid email -- awarded the OOS max of $35k and approved for their institutional need-based loan for $10k w/ 0% interest during schooling. Remaining COA is to be covered by about $42k in federal loans if I don't get any other scholarships from here on out
 
Just got a need-based financial aid email -- awarded the OOS max of $35k and approved for their institutional need-based loan for $10k w/ 0% interest during schooling. Remaining COA is to be covered by about $42k in federal loans if I don't get any other scholarships from here on out

What date did you get the email that they had received all of your financial aid documents?
 
Just got a need-based financial aid email -- awarded the OOS max of $35k and approved for their institutional need-based loan for $10k w/ 0% interest during schooling. Remaining COA is to be covered by about $42k in federal loans if I don't get any other scholarships from here on out
that 10k loan is epic. Hoping to hear back regarding my fin aid tomorrow or next week - time is running out 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad