2023-2024 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @SmokeyBear_is_my_dad for sharing this year's questions.

2023-2024 Virginia Secondary Prompts

Please briefly describe how the pandemic impacted your ability to pursue experiences like clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service.

Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year.

Essay 1

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Essay 2

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Essay 3

Tell us about a challenge or obstacle you experienced. How did you manage it? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Virginia School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
From last year's prompts, when it asks to "briefly" describe the pandemic's impact, how brief are we supposed to be? Just a few sentences? Or is it okay if we write more than that? And for the second question, when it says "list" should we literally list the future activities?

From last year's prompts, when it asks to "briefly" describe the pandemic's impact, how brief are we supposed to be? Just a few sentences? Or is it okay if we write more than that? And for the second question, when it says "list" should we literally list the future activities?
I would maybe ask someone who successfully applied/interviewed at UVA, but I am keeping under the char limit, and for listing, I did paragraph style that briefly touches on everything like it would in a list.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS Secondary received yesterday at noon

Essays:

Please briefly describe how the pandemic impacted your ability to pursue experiences like clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service.

Please list any and all future activities in clinical work, shadowing, research, or community service that you plan to pursue in the upcoming year.

Essay 1​

Why are you interested in attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine? What factors will be most important to you in choosing a medical school? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Essay 2​

How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and the University of Virginia School of Medicine? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

Essay 3​

Tell us about a challenge or obstacle you experienced. How did you manage it? Please answer the question in 350 words or less.

OOS secondary received this morning

For the listing of the activities is it just a list and a short overview? Or do we really need to get into the activities? Just trying to figure out what's best for this one - seems like a list to me but wanted to confirm

For the listing of the activities is it just a list and a short overview? Or do we really need to get into the activities? Just trying to figure out what's best for this one - seems like a list to me but wanted to confirm
I literally listed myself

Members don't see this ad :)
can a challenge or obstacle be a failure? like a time when we failed?

can a challenge or obstacle be a failure? like a time when we failed?
I think it could be depending on how you frame it! If you failed and then tried again or learned something about yourself that allowed you to succeed later, I think that could be a good "overcoming a challenge" essay.

Would it be alright if I did not answer the COVID question? It was a privilege to not be significantly impacted, but I truly do believe that my application was not impacted significantly. Would it be a bad look to just state this?

Would it be alright if I did not answer the COVID question? It was a privilege to not be significantly impacted, but I truly do believe that my application was not impacted significantly. Would it be a bad look to just state this?
I think thats better than cooking up fluff but that's just me

Anyone know the correct abbreviation? Is it UVASOM?
The general rule of thumb that I've heard is that as long as it's an acronym/abbreviation that makes sense, it should be good to go. So UVASOM UVA SOM, UVA, should all be fine! I hope!

Has anyone in-state filled out the Virginia In-State educational privileges form? Not sure if that is urgent or not.

Has anyone in-state filled out the Virginia In-State educational privileges form? Not sure if that is urgent or not.

I’m pretty sure they said they won’t consider your application complete (ie. Interview invite) until they receive it, if you indicate IS

i submitted my secondaries & letters to uva on july 25th but still isn't marked complete in the portal. is this normal?

i submitted my secondaries & letters to uva on july 25th but still isn't marked complete in the portal. is this normal?
I would check if there is anything missing just in case then perhaps contact them. Mine was deemed complete on the same day.

I would check if there is anything missing just in case then perhaps contact them. Mine was deemed complete on the same day.
dang. i just got an email saying my app is complete yesterday (more than a week after)

OOS II received! Submitted 7/7 (⁠•⁠‿⁠•⁠)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
OOS II, complete 7/9, LM 84

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
OOS II LM 81 non-URM, complete 7/9/23

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow they r really interviewing the high stat applicants

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know the exact format of the interviews? It looks like 2 30 min interviews, but some of the language on their site confused me. Is it one-on-one, or a group interview?

Last edited:
UVA lovesss their high stats I’m reaching here with LM 76

Reactions: 4 users
Damn this lowkey got me hella worried about some red flag on my app or somethin

Reactions: 1 users
One of my top choices here as a research-heavy high-stat IS, praying to join y'all in the II club soon

UVA is my dream school with a 519. Moments like these seeing them interview only 522+ really make me wish I hadn’t made those 4 silly mistakes on my mcat because apparently that’s important to them :(
They interview almost 600. Plenty of time left to snag an II

Reactions: 2 users
OOS II! LM 83, meh research experience but ties to the area.

Lots of time left to grab a II! It's also possible they organize review by high stat applicants first
I have an LM of 76, but I'm holding out hope (partially because I interviewed at UVA last cycle)

This was the first round of interviews, and don't forget that SDN has a large proportion of high-stat "perfect" applicants. The average MCAT at UVA is 518, so they must interview plenty of applicants who do not have a 522+. Also, those with a super high MCAT tend to apply earlier, hence why most of the interviews sent today had completion dates within the first week of July. The cycle is just starting!

Reactions: 3 users
For IS residents, did you get any confirmation that they received your In-State Educational Privileges form? I submitted mine but never received any confirmation email