2024-2025 Massachusetts

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an email about 40 minutes ago from “Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance” saying they received a copy of my FAFSA, and it started with “congratulations!” Nothing mentioned about UMass in the email. Anyone else get it? I’m in state, interviewed in November, haven’t heard anything since…
I received this as well. In-state student but was rejected pre-II from UMass in January...
 
Could they be making cuts to their class size? Especially with how funding is limited already? It would explain why As are so sparse this year compared to last

I was thinking adcom is probably waiting until 4/15 to see how many people keep UMass on their PTE list, since people w/ multiple As *may* narrow it down to 3 schools by then. I recall reading from UMass Chan’s statement that MD applicants aren’t impacted by the funding cuts for Fall 2025 entry - it was only PhD and MD/PhD applicants.

At least, this is what makes most sense to me…
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking adcom is probably waiting until 4/15 to see how many people keep UMass on their PTE list, since people w/ multiple As have to narrow it down to 3 schools by then. I recall reading from UMass Chan’s statement that MD applicants aren’t impacted by the funding cuts for Fall 2025 entry - it was only PhD and MD/PhD applicants.

At least, this is what makes most sense to me…
Is narrowing down to 3 schools on 4/15 a hard requirement? I’ve seen people say the 4/15 rule is not enforced
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is narrowing down to 3 schools on 4/15 a hard requirement? I’ve seen people say the 4/15 rule is not enforced

My bad. I think you’re right. Seems like 4/15 is a suggestion out of courtesy for others waiting, but if you need more time for whatever reason (ex. fin aid) then by all means take that time. The hard deadline is 4/30.
 
Based on reading last years thread there was a very similar pattern to this year. Many jan/feb interviews were rejected in march, A/WL wave last days of march, Wave of WL mid april, then a wave of Rs at the end of april. The way I look at this is, if I'm not WL by mid april I'm taking it as an R. So Monday is the most likely day for anyone to get an outright A. That being said this based entirely on last years thread which is not representative of everyone, only people who report on here. So this is another speculatative/neurotic SDN post, the kind of thing we all eat up to feel like we have some form of control over our situation at this point in the process.
 
Ya I’m thinking the same thing but then people have said the Facebook group has way less people compared to last year so I’m like dang maybe they’re admitting way less people. Idek if there’s many WLs left
 
Do we think tomorrow decisions will be sent out?

Post-II Rs have been sent on the past 2 Tuesdays and A/WLs on Fridays, so I’m gonna guess no.

Edit: bc 2nd look is happening this Fri/Sat, maybe we won’t get decisions this week lol. Based on last years thread.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I genuinely don't understand the reason of stringing along applicants who interviewed in August/September all the way until April. If there are so few acceptances and waitlists going out from here on out I would assume that my application has likely already been decided on. I understand they have thousands of applicants to sort through but it really doesn't feel good to not have a decision when I interviewed on 9/24/24, especially since this was my top choice.
 
Either there’s a backlog of people waiting to enter the FB group or the suggestion that a lot less people use FB is true lol. The FB group is now at 181, but last week it was at 180

Regardless it seems like there’s not a good metric to track where UMass is at in terms of filling the class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everyone I know keeps telling me there’s no way any school is still sending out As this late and that I should expect an R but then when I called they said they’re still sending them out and if you haven’t received an R, that’s a good sign. But I’m like is it? They could really just wait till the 30th to send the Rs out 😭
 
Everyone I know keeps telling me there’s no way any school is still sending out As this late and that I should expect an R but then when I called they said they’re still sending them out and if you haven’t received an R, that’s a good sign. But I’m like is it? They could really just wait till the 30th to send the Rs out 😭
I totally feel your stress. I've been in the same boat since Nov. I feel like the best we can do for our sanity is to not overanalyze these things since only time will tell and no one has these answers

tbh tho I take some relief in knowing that they told you A's are still coming out (though I won't hold my breath and have been getting my back up plans in line assuming an R is coming). when did you call them?
 
I genuinely don't understand the reason of stringing along applicants who interviewed in August/September all the way until April. If there are so few acceptances and waitlists going out from here on out I would assume that my application has likely already been decided on. I understand they have thousands of applicants to sort through but it really doesn't feel good to not have a decision when I interviewed on 9/24/24, especially since this was my top choice.
The fact that most of us on here have survived 3 waves of rejection too!! Like give us our A/WL or tell me its a no so I can move on with my life and actually do something about it instead of waiting. Anyone else finding it hard to decide what to do next ? It's difficult when I'm still holding on to the possibility of getting in so late in the cycle