You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 Miami (Miller)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+ 1 IS Secondary
+1 OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 oos
premedbunny
Full Member
+ IS secondary! Yay! Verified 7/12/24
Last edited:
TheBoneMarrow
New Member
+1 IS FINALLY BRO. I submitted on July 8th
+1 OOS
Thank you so much!It was an unusual process than most schools but here's how!
thunderlight8
Full Member
+1 OOS looks like lots today
Still waiting lol verified 6/28 OOS
futuremovementdoc
Full Member
+1 OOS
+1 OOS verified 7/24
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BigtimeFoodie
Full Member
One day they’ll send me a secondary… verified on 6/28
Same, could be taking longer cause of my IA but it’s non academicOne day they’ll send me a secondary… verified on 6/28
+1 OOS, verified 31/7
grapefettuccine
Full Member
Following. I can barely find any info on this. If anyone can provide any insight, that'd be greatly appreciated!does umiami miller have any student groups/orgs
just trying to learn more about the school but when I try to view the listing of student affairs it asks me to log in
efficientnet_b0
Full Member
Has anyone asked them about their 2 quarter biochemistry requirement? I saw before that they would accept a 3rd quarter of Organic to fulfill it but I haven't heard back from them, not sure if it would be a waste to submit my secondary.
BlessTheMakerAndHisWater
Full Member
+1 IS, verified 7/31
Agape_ornis
Full Member
On their website, you need to go to the About Us tab and click on it. Then click on community outreach to see a list of clinics and other things they do. You can also try clicking on current students and then student organizations.Following. I can barely find any info on this. If anyone can provide any insight, that'd be greatly appreciated!
grapefettuccine
Full Member
Yes, the community outreach page has been helpful. However, when you try to click on a list of student organizations, the website asks you to sign in through Microsoft. I'm assuming it's not accessible for non-students which is why I wanted to see if anyone had any insider information.On their website, you need to go to the About Us tab and click on it. Then click on community outreach to see a list of clinics and other things they do. You can also try clicking on current students and then student organizations.
+1 OOS, verified
Agape_ornis
Full Member
I also tried, and it doesn't let me, so I just mentioned in my secondary the organizations I have access to.Yes, the community outreach page has been helpful. However, when you try to click on a list of student organizations, the website asks you to sign in through Microsoft. I'm assuming it's not accessible for non-students which is why I wanted to see if anyone had any insider information.
Elite-Water
Full Member
Where do you pay for the secondary? or is it free?
RNtoMD817
New Member
When you submit, it’ll take you to a page that has a link to use to pay!Where do you pay for the secondary? or is it free?
berliner
Full Member
they have many rly good community based programs. look into something called "shop docs". cool stuff. on top of that, their research is honestly pretty high level compared to most medical schools.Is Miller SOM known for anything specific? I'm struggling to find anything besides the usual research and inclusivity.
it'llbeworththewait
Full Member
Where do you pay for the secondary? or is it free?
There was a link on the submission confirmation page that you had to copy and paste into your browser. Here it is: University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine Applicant Portal. You can login using your AMCAS ID and your DOB. Then they will email you a login link every time. This is how you'll pay for the secondary app and check the status of it. Hope this helps!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still have not got my secondary and was verified early june ...
Same haha. I have an IA back in freshmen year and wonder if that’s the reason :/. Gotta sit tight and wait
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
I think it said it’ll be in by 24 hoursI submitted primary last night and got the checkmark in the portal that the app is complete, but I didn’t receive an email. Should I?
BlueBudgie
Full Member
There's a question in their secondaries that says "Review our prerequisite coursework (M.D. Prerequisite Courses). If you feel it is necessary, use the space below to explain to the Admissions Committee any coursework you are using to meet our course prerequisites that might not be evident from your transcript as it appears in your verified AMCAS application. Examples might include multi-disciplinary coursework used to meet science requirements; quarter, winter intensive, or other semester-equivalent courses; and coursework in progress or planned for a future quarter/semester not listed in your AMCAS application course list. In your response, please include (1) name and number of the course as it appears in your AMCAS application list of courses, (2) name of Miller SOM prerequisite you believe the course fulfills (e.g., “Chemistry + Labs”), and (3) a brief explanation of why you feel this course meets the requirement. (5000 characters)."Has anyone asked them about their 2 quarter biochemistry requirement? I saw before that they would accept a 3rd quarter of Organic to fulfill it but I haven't heard back from them, not sure if it would be a waste to submit my secondary.
I also didn't take biochem lol so I just said that I took a lot of other courses that covered foundational concepts (which is true) but ended it by saying that I would take a course prior to matriculation if necessary. You could try something like that, but from what I've seen, they're not accepting orgo as a substitute anymore.
Same exact situation.Same haha. I have an IA back in freshmen year and wonder if that’s the reason :/. Gotta sit tight and wait
Same exact situation.
I got IA for trespassing my sophomore year and I received mine a couple days ago. Just keep waiting you're fine.Same haha. I have an IA back in freshmen year and wonder if that’s the reason :/. Gotta sit tight and wait
efficientnet_b0
Full Member
I also didn't take biochem lol so I just said that I took a lot of other courses that covered foundational concepts (which is true) but ended it by saying that I would take a course prior to matriculation if necessary. You could try something like that, but from what I've seen, they're not accepting orgo as a substitute anymore.
Thanks! Hopefully my MCAT and my Organic class syllabus mentioning "topics related to biochemistry" will be good enough lol
Personally, I'm writing mine on one topic for both with a detailed anecdote incorporated throughout. I'm a big yapper, so that's what works for me, but I think using multiple anecdotes would work well, too, as long as you make them flow together well.Curious how people are approaching the 2nd and 3rd questions with such a high character count. Would using multiple somewhat detailed anecdotes be appropriate since there's room for it? Or would it be better to focus on one story/aspect to answer the prompts?
Agape_ornis
Full Member
me too.Personally, I'm writing mine on one topic for both with a detailed anecdote incorporated throughout. I'm a big yapper, so that's what works for me, but I think using multiple anecdotes would work well, too, as long as you make them flow together well.
Agape_ornis
Full Member
I think that after writing all those words, I have earned my croquetas de jamon
+1 OOS
MikeTrout27
Full Member
How are you guys approaching the character count? For 2 of the essays, I have about 3500 characters, but for the diversity one, I have about 2400. I really don't want to add more and risk sounding like I am rambling.
mine were between 1900-2700 characters each.How are you guys approaching the character count? For 2 of the essays, I have about 3500 characters, but for the diversity one, I have about 2400. I really don't want to add more and risk sounding like I am rambling.
I had exhausted what I wanted to say by that point. No need to fluff it up if there's nothing of substance to add
pinklover01
Full Member
Hi everyone, I am working on my secondary and cannot access a list of student organizations for med students without a student login? Does anyone know how we can access this list?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if I plan on taking biochem for UMiami in the next two quarters/by the time of matriculation if it affects my chances of admission specifically at this school because I don't have all the resources pre-reqs rn technically? (I went to a quarter school and they only let me take one quarter of biochem + didn't realize some schools required 2 semesters of biochem)
MCW is another school that has this requirement and they said it's fine as long as I have all the classes prior to matriculation. I emailed UMiami's office with no response 😅
MCW is another school that has this requirement and they said it's fine as long as I have all the classes prior to matriculation. I emailed UMiami's office with no response 😅
grapefettuccine
Full Member
Did anyone else not receive a confirmation email? There's a checkmark next to the secondary application and fee paid in my Applicant Dashboard but I never received an email.
averagepremed0101
MD Class of 2029
I got one confirming the receipt of my secondary app and saying that applications are currently under reviewDid anyone else not receive a confirmation email? There's a checkmark next to the secondary application and fee paid in my Applicant Dashboard but I never received an email.
grapefettuccine
Full Member
Did you receive a confirmation email shortly after submitting or was there a delay?I got one confirming the receipt of my secondary app and saying that applications are currently under review
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
Took about a dayDid you receive a confirmation email shortly after submitting or was there a delay?