You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2024-2025 Miami (Miller)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
medschool99238
Full Member
Will a second semester of ochem with lab not count?Does anyone know if I plan on taking biochem for UMiami in the next two quarters/by the time of matriculation if it affects my chances of admission specifically at this school because I don't have all the resources pre-reqs rn technically? (I went to a quarter school and they only let me take one quarter of biochem + didn't realize some schools required 2 semesters of biochem)
MCW is another school that has this requirement and they said it's fine as long as I have all the classes prior to matriculation. I emailed UMiami's office with no response 😅
hifromvenus
Full Member
Have they responded to the email yet? I'm currently holding out on submitting the secondary because I don't have the biochem requirement eitherDoes anyone know if I plan on taking biochem for UMiami in the next two quarters/by the time of matriculation if it affects my chances of admission specifically at this school because I don't have all the resources pre-reqs rn technically? (I went to a quarter school and they only let me take one quarter of biochem + didn't realize some schools required 2 semesters of biochem)
MCW is another school that has this requirement and they said it's fine as long as I have all the classes prior to matriculation. I emailed UMiami's office with no response 😅
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if I plan on taking biochem for UMiami in the next two quarters/by the time of matriculation if it affects my chances of admission specifically at this school because I don't have all the resources pre-reqs rn technically? (I went to a quarter school and they only let me take one quarter of biochem + didn't realize some schools required 2 semesters of biochem)
MCW is another school that has this requirement and they said it's fine as long as I have all the classes prior to matriculation. I emailed UMiami's office with no response [emoji28]
I think I remember reading on their website that as long as you plan to take it prior to matriculation its fine
Theoretically, based on bullet point #4 in my screenshot, you can maybe bypass it if you think one quarter of biochem is enough to satisfy the entire biochem requirement by explaining how your coursework equates to one semester of foundational knowledge they require (a lot of my quarter classes compact a semester's worth of classes anyways tbh) OR if you took other coursework that satisfies/subs whatever the second quarter of biochem covers.Have they responded to the email yet? I'm currently holding out on submitting the secondary because I don't have the biochem requirement either
However, I did look closer into the secondary and it says you can use the coursework space question to explain future coursework you plan on taking if you don't have the required prereqs rn as well. So, I just stated I planned on taking another quarter at X school with the course number (with the full name) and during this time/prior to matriculation.
I personally didn't feel comfortable saying one quarter of biochemistry was enough to equate to their one semester biochemistry requirement so I just said I'm going to enroll in one since MCW and another school have a similar requirement because I didn't know 1 course usually meant 1 semester (curse you quarter schools without pre-med advising!)
I put a screenshot of the response they gave me which was a little broad but hope it helps.
Attachments
hifromvenus
Full Member
Thank you and yeah I might just add in that I'll take it prior to matriculation as wellTheoretically, based on bullet point #4 in my screenshot, you can maybe bypass it if you think one quarter of biochem is enough to satisfy the entire biochem requirement by explaining how your coursework equates to one semester of foundational knowledge they require (a lot of my quarter classes compact a semester's worth of classes anyways tbh) OR if you took other coursework that satisfies/subs whatever the second quarter of biochem covers.
However, I did look closer into the secondary and it says you can use the coursework space question to explain future coursework you plan on taking if you don't have the required prereqs rn as well. So, I just stated I planned on taking another quarter at X school with the course number (with the full name) and during this time/prior to matriculation.
I personally didn't feel comfortable saying one quarter of biochemistry was enough to equate to their one semester biochemistry requirement so I just said I'm going to enroll in one since MCW and another school have a similar requirement because I didn't know 1 course usually meant 1 semester (curse you quarter schools without pre-med advising!)
I put a screenshot of the response they gave me which was a little broad but hope it helps.
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
jumpscare 🥲
D
deleted1125342
Miami why would you send that email
Promotional email about the 3-year MD program nearly gave me a heart attack. I saw "congratulations" and freaked out .......
ribonucleoprotein
Full Member
Promotional email about the 3-year MD program nearly gave me a heart attack. I saw "congratulations" and freaked out .......
“invites you to” [emoji174]
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
“The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Invites You” Miami is cold man. Really jump scared us
Miami just made my heart drop with the “congrats” email that turned out to be info on their 3 year MD program wow lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Flipase
Full Member
Probably a low key requirement to attend those info sessions to show your interest in UMMSOM
fr?
haha no just joking
That was straight evillll
BigtimeFoodie
Full Member
I won’t lie I didn’t even get an email damnit I wanted the .2 second hit of dopamine
Does anyone know if they are strict with their 3 quarters of english classes requirement? I have 2 quarters and have taken other writing intensive courses. Could I substitute a writing intensive course for 1 quarter of english if its designated on my transcript?
Does anyone know if they are strict with their 3 quarters of english classes requirement? I have 2 quarters and have taken other writing intensive courses. Could I substitute a writing intensive course for 1 quarter of english if its designated on my transcript?
i emailed them and they said writing intensive courses can be used for the english requirement!
Thanks!i emailed them and they said writing intensive courses can be used for the english requirement!
medschool99238
Full Member
Can a second semester of ochem be used for the biochem requirement in addition to 1 quarter of biochem?
My assumption is that applications wont get put into the review pile until they are complete + payment. However, UMiami sent out secondaries super late, and its still prior to labor day, so my gut says this shouldn't hurt your chances!I submitted my secondary without paying the application fee. I forgot, but I just did it. I had a check mark though for my secondary application status. Do you think my secondary will be pushed back in the review process and significantly hurt my chances?
correct me if im wrong but arent u supposed to receive a separate email for payment?I submitted my secondary without paying the application fee. I forgot, but I just did it. I had a check mark though for my secondary application status. Do you think my secondary will be pushed back in the review process and significantly hurt my chances?
D
deleted1197304
Why they playing with me like that? Doc upload disguised as ii
OMG exactly my reaction. 🙁((( that was SO MEANWhy they playing with me like that? Doc upload disguised as ii
D
deleted1197304
As someone with no ii so far, absolutely brutalOMG exactly my reaction. 🙁((( that was SO MEAN
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What happened? I didn’t get anythingAs someone with no ii so far, absolutely brutal
Last year Miami didn’t send their first II until October 1st, so I don’t think it would mean that quite yet.Probably means II is incoming, considering that only those invited will be asked to upload a headshot.
D
deleted1197304
just two emails, one saying “invites you to take the step with your application” but really just opening up a new section of the portal for document upload (headshots, update letters)What happened? I didn’t get anything
D
deleted1197304
True, they also had a whole portal fiasco last time so I’m hoping they send theirs sooner this time around
Last year Miami didn’t send their first II until October 1st, so I don’t think it would mean that quite yet
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
does it mean anything to not receive that email?just two emails, one saying “invites you to take the step with your application” but really just opening up a new section of the portal for document upload (headshots, update letters)
Likely means that we’re doomed.does it mean anything to not receive that email?
Source: SDN user
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
Ok good I also thought that.Likely means that we’re doomed.
Source: SDN user
As someone with no ii so far, absolutely brutal
Buuut, I don’t know if this means anything, but I got the exact same email from Belmont (“we invite you to take the next step blah blah….”) and it turned out to be an II. Hang in there!! Maybe this will turn out to be good news 😀
ajshjdfhkajsdhfjk
Full Member
does anyone know if you can submit updates pre-II? It says on their website you should be able to upload them in the portal but I can't find anywhere to do so.
D
deleted1197304
That’s basically what the email they sent out a while back let’s us do, not sure why they didn’t send it out to everyone but they probably will soondoes anyone know if you can submit updates pre-II? It says on their website you should be able to upload them in the portal but I can't find anywhere to do so.
I would not rely on last years ****show of a cycle at Miami. They elected a new Dean in July (who has now been dismissed) and therefore everything was pushed back.
Last year Miami didn’t send their first II until October 1st, so I don’t think it would mean that quite yet.
Iron Man23
M.D. Class of 2029
This year they were pretty late in sending secondaries. Doesn’t seem like they fixed muchI would not rely on last years ****show of a cycle at Miami. They elected a new Dean in July (who has now been dismissed) and therefore everything was pushed back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
seaweedbrain
Full Member
For me, itt took 10 days from submitting my secondary to receiving a completion emailHello! I was wondering if I should expect a complete email from Miami? My portal says the secondary and payment has been received but I haven't received any confirmation via email.
I received mine the morning after I submitted, so today basicallyHello! I was wondering if I should expect a complete email from Miami? My portal says the secondary and payment has been received but I haven't received any confirmation via email.
Same here, nothing new on portal except a space to add documents.Did Miami just send out II? I just received an email asking me to take the next step but I’m at work and don’t know what it’s about.