Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if I have my own laptop I want to use, can I just take the Mac and give it to my brother or something? Or are there pre-installed programs on the laptops for classes?

I've seen students who used their own MacBooks (from undergrad) and sold or gave away the school's MacBook Air given to them. I can't say the same for PC laptops. There are no pre-installed programs on these new laptops. You will have to install them on your own onto your computer and iPad.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else receive an email from support saying that you needed to change your login information to your portal?? I am on the waitlist and I was hoping it meant that I may be accepted! That would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else receive an email from support saying that you needed to change your login information to your portal?? I am on the waitlist and I was hoping it meant that I may be accepted! That would be awesome!

If it was a password reset, people get those at different times

Members don't see this ad :)

I got the same email but I think it's just a expiring password situation. I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm on the waitlist as well.

Lol yeah I got it too and I'm on wl. I think this is the login info we used when scheduling our interviews. Its probably nothing. But May 1st is tomorrow guys!

To everyone impatiently awaiting waitlist movement:
rs_600x796-150430104629-CD20z_PVIAAfh6j.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I have literally summoned in front of me all the holy books from like 7 religions and I am holding a waitlist special prayer session.......

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 7 users
What if I have my own laptop I want to use, can I just take the Mac and give it to my brother or something? Or are there pre-installed programs on the laptops for classes?
I believe that next year the computer and iPad belong to the school and must be returned so I wouldn't recommend selling it.

Not sure if someone has already asked this, but where should I send a letter of intent to?

I believe that next year the computer and iPad belong to the school and must be returned so I wouldn't recommend selling it.

I thought I remembered them saying that the laptop/ipad would be ours and it was included in our tuition? I don't remember them saying they would take it back, but I could be wrong. That would stink if that was the case.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I remembered them saying that the laptop/ipad would be ours and it was included in our tuition? I don't remember them saying they would take it back, but I could be wrong. That would stink if that was the case.

I would second this, but again I could be wrong as maybe I'm not updated with the latest info.

I was told that you would be given the opportunity to buy them after graduation for like a dollar. I guess there's some issue with "giving" students thousand dollar computers, but they "sell" them to you for $1. This is heresay; don't take my word as the whole truth.

Hey guys, just gave up my seat here. Best of luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Reactions: 7 users
Have any waitlists received an acceptance call recently? The wait is killing meeeee

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted my application two weeks ago and still haven't received my package. When did you submitted your FAFSA?

I submitted my Fafsa in Feb and completed my direct plus loan app on April 10.

Do any current ACOM students have jobs? I've been hearing recently of some medical students at other schools that have part time jobs to help pay down debt. I'm really interested in EM and would like to continue working per diem as a paramedic. Any insight is appreciated!

Do any current ACOM students have jobs? I've been hearing recently of some medical students at other schools that have part time jobs to help pay down debt. I'm really interested in EM and would like to continue working per diem as a paramedic. Any insight is appreciated!

If you count being a TA as a current job in medical school. Other than that, would highly recommend not getting a job during the school year. During breaks is fine.

from what i understand dothan fire runs 911 in the area, i did see at least one private when i was down for my interview though. running IFT a couple shifts a month for them would be low-stress but probably not worth it money-wise

Filled out my FAFSA a little over a month ago and just filled out my Direct PLUS today. This is my first time ever filling out student loan documents, so I'm curious as to when I will hear about my award and if there are any other loans (through gov't) that I should apply for?

Filled out my FAFSA a little over a month ago and just filled out my Direct PLUS today. This is my first time ever filling out student loan documents, so I'm curious as to when I will hear about my award and if there are any other loans (through gov't) that I should apply for?

I believe the two of them combined should cover everything from tuition to cost of living. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got my financial aid reward today! Now time to budget. There's no way I'm taking out all of the loans they gave me....

Got my financial aid reward today! Now time to budget. There's no way I'm taking out all of the loans they gave me....

I don't know how much I need so I'll take all for my first year and try to budget and save for my second year so I don't have to take much second year.

I don't know how much I need so I'll take all for my first year and try to budget and save for my second year so I don't have to take much second year.

That's my plan. I'd rather take out a little too much than live on Ramen Noodles for a month because I didn't take enough. Plus at the end of the day an extra few thousand in loans is nothing when you're having to repay hundreds of thousands of dollars.. IMO at least.

Does anyone know where I can find a current COA? I've been running through all the documents they sent me plus all the FAFSA and studentloan.gov documents and I cannot find it. Are we just supposed to base it off the COA for 2016/2017 on the website?

Does anyone know where I can find a current COA? I've been running through all the documents they sent me plus all the FAFSA and studentloan.gov documents and I cannot find it. Are we just supposed to base it off the COA for 2016/2017 on the website?

The loan package I received was $75000 per year.

does anyone know if they've posted this year's calendar/when they will?

Last year, they posted the new academic schedule on their website in June and they gave us our class schedule mid-July. I'm assuming timeframe might be similar this year.

Can anyone send me the 1st year schedule for this year's class? Would be very much appreciated so I could have a general idea of what the upcoming schedule may look like.

Can anyone send me the 1st year schedule for this year's class? Would be very much appreciated so I could have a general idea of what the upcoming schedule may look like.
This is the current first year's tentative schedule. I'm sure it won't be the same for you and they make changes throughout the year. As of right now the 2018 Spring semester is scheduled to start January 8th. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, the class is split into Lab Group A and B for OPP and Anatomy Lab. So usually you would only be attending one session per week for both of those. Nearly all of the Primary Clinical Skills (PCS) sessions will be 1.5hrs at most (you'll be in a smaller group for that). It looks a lot worse than it is.

Attachments

• First Year Calendar.pdf
    127.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
This is the current first year's tentative schedule. I'm sure it won't be the same for you and they make changes throughout the year. As of right now the 2018 Spring semester is scheduled to start January 8th. Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, the class is split into Lab Group A and B for OPP and Anatomy Lab. So usually you would only be attending one session per week for both of those. Nearly all of the Primary Clinical Skills (PCS) sessions will be 1.5hrs at most (you'll be in a smaller group for that). It looks a lot worse than it is.

Thank you for sharing! This is very helpful

In looking at the ACOM cost of attendance for the coming academic year, it estimates $5,350 for books and supplies. This number seemed pretty steep to me as I know that all of the textbooks are online and I have already looked through the price listings for the medical equipment. Can any of the second or third years speak to how accurate this estimate is? I am trying to write up my budget for the coming year, and want to ensure that it is as accurate as possible. Thank you in advance!

In looking at the ACOM cost of attendance for the coming academic year, it estimates $5,350 for books and supplies. This number seemed pretty steep to me as I know that all of the textbooks are online and I have already looked through the price listings for the medical equipment. Can any of the second or third years speak to how accurate this estimate is? I am trying to write up my budget for the coming year, and want to ensure that it is as accurate as possible. Thank you in advance!

In terms of books and school supplies for your first year, you don't need $5,000 (unless you plan on buying a lot of board prep material then). I spent less than $100 for books/supplies. You'll need about 1k for the medical equipment. During second year, at the minimum, you will need First Aid (~$40 for the book, free if you only prefer PDF) and UWorld for question bank ($250-$300). ACOM bought COMBANK for us as well as practice tests, COMSAE. You'll have to buy your own practice tests if you plan on taking USMLE Step 1.

This thread has a ton of views compared to most other school specific threads. Any guesses as to why???

Reactions: 4 users
This thread has a ton of views compared to most other school specific threads. Any guesses as to why???

Probably because we are the most active ones around here. And coincidentally, we all going to ACOM haha

Reactions: 1 users

This schedule scares me from week 4+ lol. Seems like Exam every Monday or Thursday...

Does anyone have a list of the textbooks we'll need?

Every time I see a notification that "X replied to ACOM 2016-2017 thread." I think it's somebody commemting that they got called off the waitlist lol

Probably because we are the most active ones around here. And coincidentally, we all going to ACOM haha

Could be, but I think our group probably only represents 5-6% of the people who have viewed the thread haha so unless we have each viewed the thread 800 times I'm not sure where the heck 200k+ views is coming from hahaha