ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So do you know how many people they put on alternative list?
KCOM is my no.1 choice, and I guess it has to do with a specific quota for international students.
Anyhow, I guess I just need to concentrate on my upcoming AZCOM interview.:p

Members don't see this ad.

i had my interview early january. I have to say that it was probably the best interview i have had. I talked with an obgyn and the first thing he says is "what do you want to ask me". It was really great and I had a good time. They even let us into the anatomy lab to watch them cut off peoples balls lol. The museum was cool too. Staff was very helpful as well.

BUT it just wasn't for me. I never really wanted to do d.o. in the first place AND the average age was 26 for the first years and 50% were married! plus the fact that the town is so small i would go insane.

I never really heard anything back other than "you're status is unchanged" which i guess means i'm waitlisted. But i could care less as I got accepted to an MD program in st. louis last week.

oh and i saw omm demonstrated for the first time. and i probably asked the most ******ed question possible when i was with the other applicants...."what does the AT in AT Still University stand for??" haha i felt kinda awkward after that.

Has anyone ever gotten off "on hold" and received an interview?? I just received the on hold letter and I am not sure what that means.:confused: Is it just a nice way of saying I have been rejected??

I was put on hold in september, and then offered an interview in early Jan. I just kept updating my file, and calling to see if I had been rereviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you know how many people they put on alternative list?
KCOM is my no.1 choice, and I guess it has to do with a specific quota for international students.
Anyhow, I guess I just need to concentrate on my upcoming AZCOM interview.:p

Hey. Don't worry. I know how you feel. I was so bummed when I got my rejection, but at least this isn't a rejection. There's still a chance you can go there. I would say just keep updating your file with them. Send them a letter of intent, and once you have a little more clinical experience, or have done something you want to add to your file send them a letter to let them know.

It's all just so random. I thought I did fine in my interviews. You never know. This whole application process is just one big game. Sucks if you ask me. Just don't feel down on yourself about this.

any idea on how full the class is? Just got/sent in my secondary on Friday. How long till I could hear back regarding an interview? Thanks!

Does anyone know when the second deposit is due? So that there might be a way to pull off some people from waitlist.

Second due April 15,

Third due May 15. ($500 for both)

any idea on how full the class is? Just got/sent in my secondary on Friday. How long till I could hear back regarding an interview? Thanks!

Donna Sparks emailed me last week to say that the class of 2012 is full, but they are still interviewing for a *possible* spot in the class of 2013.

Just curious, why would they be interviewing for a possible class of 2013 seat now? Did you email Donna Sparks and ask her if the class was full or did she just email you? I have my app on hold there until my new MCAT score comes out, so I am very curious to know the situation :eek:

Just curious, why would they be interviewing for a possible class of 2013 seat now? Did you email Donna Sparks and ask her if the class was full or did she just email you? I have my app on hold there until my new MCAT score comes out, so I am very curious to know the situation :eek:

No, she just emailed out of the blue to say the class was full, but they have 4 interview dates in March in which they would still interview me if I wanted for the alternate list, or a possible seat in class of 2013. :confused:

Are you serious?!?!?!?! WTF

I know... I'm a little annoyed because I have 3 generations of legacy there and all I got was a pity interview. It's not like my stats are bad! I found out though that there is a girl with the same name as me that was accepted and now I'm curious if she ended up with my letters of recommendation. :mad: Last time I called admissions, they discovered that they had the wrong file open.

No, she just emailed out of the blue to say the class was full, but they have 4 interview dates in March in which they would still interview me if I wanted for the alternate list, or a possible seat in class of 2013. :confused:

I know... I'm a little annoyed because I have 3 generations of legacy there and all I got was a pity interview. It's not like my stats are bad! I found out though that there is a girl with the same name as me that was accepted and now I'm curious if she ended up with my letters of recommendation. :mad: Last time I called admissions, they discovered that they had the wrong file open.

I talked to Melissa in admissions about this little rumor.....unfortunately it's true. This is what she said "that's kinda true but we are still accepting people based on availibilty" The committee didn't meet on Feb 13th, but met this morning (they're doing every other week now). Right after I talked to Melissa I got an email from Donna Sparks saying I was accepted for 2012 provided a seat opens up! Hope they do....................................

Members don't see this ad :)
Right after I talked to Melissa I got an email from Donna Sparks saying I was accepted for 2012 provided a seat opens up! Hope they do....................................

If your accepted, shouldn't there be a seat reserved for you?

Maybe they just don't like people from Ann Arbor, lol. (jkin, I am a spartan, so can't help it)

Just curious, what are your stats? I was accepted with not so stellar stats, so you still have a good chance. GL

If your accepted, shouldn't there be a seat reserved for you?

verbatim...

"Congratulations! You have been approved for acceptance to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine pending the availability of a seat. We are expecting several seats to become available in the next few weeks and hope you will still be interested in attending KCOM."

verbatim...

"Congratulations! You have been approved for acceptance to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine pending the availability of a seat. We are expecting several seats to become available in the next few weeks and hope you will still be interested in attending KCOM."

I think your pretty much set, Good luck!!!

Maybe they just don't like people from Ann Arbor, lol. (jkin, I am a spartan, so can't help it)

Just curious, what are your stats? I was accepted with not so stellar stats, so you still have a good chance. GL

HopefulDoc when did you interview? The people in admissions said there are still offers going out and plenty of people get in weeks after the interview, and not to give up. I can't imagine that after 3 generations they would reject you?!?!? that's crazzzy especially with your stats...keep calling them!!

I was also accepted pending a seat opens up for this year. If not, it'll be nice to have a year where I don't have to worry about submitting more applications and traveling all over for interviews. Either way, I'm super stoked that I got in. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from them.

So, if they accepted you for this year, but a seat doesn't open up, do you have guaranteeed admission for the class of 2013?

Here's the email they sent me:

Congratulations! You have been approved for acceptance to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine pending the availability of a seat. We are expecting several seats to become available in the next few weeks and hope you will still be interested in attending KCOM. We are offering you a guaranteed acceptance for classes beginning in August of 2009, if a seat does not become available in the upcoming class. You would not need to reapply, interview or go through any additional processing prior to admittance to the Class of 2013 in August of 2009.
We realize that you may receive offers from other schools and need to make a commitment in the upcoming days/weeks. In that event, please let me know so we may close your application. Feel free to call or email if you have questions about your status. I'll be out of the office tomorrow (Thursday) but will be back on Friday. It is very important to keep us updated on phone numbers and email addresses--if you have changes or want to add a cell phone number, contact us immediately. We may call as soon as tomorrow so keep us updated on contact information!
Again, we appreciate your interest in KCOM.
Sincerely,
Donna Sparks, M.A.

That makes me feel better that they may be giving seats for next year. I was pretty bummed. They are my top choice school, so I wouldn't mind waiting until next year if I get an interview/acceptance.

Here's the email they sent me:

Congratulations! You have been approved for acceptance to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine pending the availability of a seat. We are expecting several seats to become available in the next few weeks and hope you will still be interested in attending KCOM. We are offering you a guaranteed acceptance for classes beginning in August of 2009, if a seat does not become available in the upcoming class. You would not need to reapply, interview or go through any additional processing prior to admittance to the Class of 2013 in August of 2009.
We realize that you may receive offers from other schools and need to make a commitment in the upcoming days/weeks. In that event, please let me know so we may close your application. Feel free to call or email if you have questions about your status. I'll be out of the office tomorrow (Thursday) but will be back on Friday. It is very important to keep us updated on phone numbers and email addresses--if you have changes or want to add a cell phone number, contact us immediately. We may call as soon as tomorrow so keep us updated on contact information!
Again, we appreciate your interest in KCOM.
Sincerely,
Donna Sparks, M.A.

I got the same one......i sooooooooooooo hope seats open up! But like you said, I'm happy either way....KCOM is soooooooo my top choice! I just fell in love with it on interview day.

Does anyone know when the deposits are due and how much?!?

Good luck to all those waiting to hear about acceptances AND seats!

Runner898, have you interviewed there then already or are you waiting for one?

I don't have an interview there, no. But, they are holding my application until my new MCAT score comes out next week, per my request. Hopefully I will hear something shortly after.

At this point, it doesn't much matter. I'm got into my top choice school. I just think it's a slap in the face to my family who's donated money there for decades. My file was complete in August and they are just now offering an interview for an alternate spot. It's as if they literally lost my file and put all my incoming info with the other girl's with my same name. Oh well, boo hoo +pity+It all works out the way it's supposed to for a reason. Hey, maybe the other girl wouldn't have gotten in otherwise. See? I helped her out! :laugh: Best wishes to you all! :thumbup:

Any recommendations from current students as to which kind of laptop would be most suitable for classes. Thanks!

Any recommendations from current students as to which kind of laptop would be most suitable for classes. Thanks!

Are you on Facebook? The 'KCOM Class of 2012' group has a whole discussion on that. I think a few current students gave their suggestions as well.

Are you on Facebook? The 'KCOM Class of 2012' group has a whole discussion on that. I think a few current students gave their suggestions as well.

Thanks, I had actually just stumbled upon that. Very helpful information on the facebook page.

So to change the subject, I have good news to my future classmates, I just got a Wii so if we have any free time, Wii time at my house!

So to change the subject, I have good news to my future classmates, I just got a Wii so if we have any free time, Wii time at my house!

Too bad they didn't have Wii Anatomy lab....I bet we could all ace it that way ;)

Wii! I have one myself, so I'll bring extra controllers.

If anyone's near the on-campus apartments next year (I'm really hoping to live there) stop by and we can play there too.

I think we'll find time for games. When I stayed with a student the night before my interview a bunch of people came over and played Halo.

hello! I have been checking on this thread for a while and can now say I am officially part of the 2012 class. I was definetly lucky enough to get multiple offers and am crossing my fingers for all of you on the waiting list. The next deposit is March 15th so hopefully you get some good news around then!! I am from Ontario, Canada and am looking forward to being the one (and maybe only?) international student. I am also hoping to live in student housing as it is a long trek and not having to bring big furniture is definetly added bonus.
I talked to housing yesterday and apparently 1bdr/study are hard to come by, and there is only one or two avail this year, but two bdr are the last choice, but that is what I am hoping for as I would like a little extra space and since it's still less than my horrible student ghetto house in undergrad that i shared with 7 people i cannot complain!
my fingers are crossed for all you waiting and can't wait for august. i am going stir crazy at home as i haven't lived at home since i was 16?!?!
eek!

If anyone's near the on-campus apartments next year (I'm really hoping to live there) stop by and we can play there too.
quote]

I'm going up tomorrow to find an apartment I'm hoping to they still have the medrow available so I'll be close, can you hook two up and use 8 controllers?? We could get some crazy games going on, I think I need a bigger TV!

I also want to live in the on-campus apts. Do they go real fast? Now I am worried, because I don't know when I can go up to kirksville to book one. My work schedule is so hectic. I really don't want to pay the apt deposit and rent without looking at them first, but I guess I will have to.

quote]

I'm going up tomorrow to find an apartment I'm hoping to they still have the medrow available so I'll be close, can you hook two up and use 8 controllers?? We could get some crazy games going on, I think I need a bigger TV!

If you work with Heritage House Reality ask to see the new places on S. Jamison Road. I just signed a lease there and I'd love to get some more KCOMers in the complex. They were just built last summer and they are really nice. Be prepared, they are on the expensive side, but I spoke with a current resident and they said they make the $$ back with cheap utilities because it's a new building with great insulation. Anyway, it is almost exactly one mile from campus, but it is a real easy drive/walk. Good luck finding a place and enjoy Kirksville!:thumbup:

If you work with Heritage House Reality ask to see the new places on S. Jamison Road. I just signed a lease there and I'd love to get some more KCOMers in the complex. They were just built last summer and they are really nice. Be prepared, they are on the expensive side, but I spoke with a current resident and they said they make the $$ back with cheap utilities because it's a new building with great insulation. Anyway, it is almost exactly one mile from campus, but it is a real easy drive/walk. Good luck finding a place and enjoy Kirksville!:thumbup:

Do they allow pets? Dishwasher? How many units in the complex? etc?

Glad you found a place RoyalFB!

We'll have to experiment hooking up multiple Wiis and such. Hopefully we run into someone that knows that sort of thing! We should at least be able to make use of the Nintendo wi-fi connection for some games. Like Smash Bros.

Do they allow pets? Dishwasher? How many units in the complex? etc?

Glad you found a place RoyalFB!

Thanks! There are 8 units, with at least one opening up on Aug. 6th. They are all 2 bedroom/1 bath with a 1 car garage. They come with new appliances (refrigerator, dishwasher, washer/dryer). Central heat/air. They allow pets with no deposit, but there is an extra $50 added on to the monthly rent.

The rent may turn people off at $700 a month, but I looked at a lot of older places that were ~$400-$500 and the utility costs easily made up the difference. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about the complex. Of all the places I saw, it was by far the best. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of students there. Maybe we can take it over! :thumbup:

okay guys lets get down to important stuff. what's going on before school? we should have a big bash, get to meet our classmates before class starts!!!!!!!!!!

okay guys lets get down to important stuff. what's going on before school? we should have a big bash, get to meet our classmates before class starts!!!!!!!!!!

oh hahah i think im getting ahead of myself lol.....that is provided i get a seat this year dont wanna jinx myself. cross your fingers for me!!!!

I heart KCOM :love:

oh hahah i think im getting ahead of myself lol.....that is provided i get a seat this year dont wanna jinx myself. cross your fingers for me!!!!

I heart KCOM :love:

I am trying to get a bunch of people together before orientation. We want to get a few partyboats out on thousand hills lake, have a BBQ, and drink a few beers. It is the perfect way to end the summer, and our freedom. I am thinking that it will be around august 8th, but not sure. Don't worry, we will have a beer free boat too, so everyone is invited. I don't know how much it will cost, but with enough people it will be close to $10 plus BYOB/food.

What do you all think?

I am trying to get a bunch of people together before orientation. We want to get a few partyboats out on thousand hills lake, have a BBQ, and drink a few beers. It is the perfect way to end the summer, and our freedom. I am thinking that it will be around august 8th, but not sure. Don't worry, we will have a beer free boat too, so everyone is invited. I don't know how much it will cost, but with enough people it will be close to $10 plus BYOB/food.

What do you all think?

That sounds Fabulous...GREAT idea!! I'll bring food to share! Mississippi Caviar, its always a hit (black-eyed pea salsa dip). :love:

rddoms, will you be our Party Captain?

225px-Office_BoozeCruise.jpg

What do you all think?

I don't know if I'll be there by the 8th since student housing move in is on the 13th if I get it. But have fun!

Just sent my student housing application. (keeping my fingers crossed) I talked to the housing people today and they said they will start giving out apts. this coming Monday.

BTW this might be a dumb question, but someone mind telling me where are the Medrow apartments? I looked at on campus and off campus sites and I haven't been able to find info on the Medrow apts.