2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for the input. I'm still super grateful for the seat that was offered at ATSU and love everything about the school, but I received an II from another school today that I'm also interested in. Very conflicted now lol
I was in this position last year and gave up my seat to attend a different school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they send pre-II rejections? I have been complete since October but heard nothing back yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they send pre-II rejections? I have been complete since October but heard nothing back yet
I think they send out rejections toward the end of the cycle, but not entirely sure lol. If you haven't already send them an email inquiring on your application status! Also an update letter of your enthusiasm and important updates can help! (virtual shadowing, work, school, etc) Fingers crossed for you!

I think they send out rejections toward the end of the cycle, but not entirely sure lol. If you haven't already send them an email inquiring on your application status! Also an update letter of your enthusiasm and important updates can help! (virtual shadowing, work, school, etc) Fingers crossed for you!
Thank you so much for the reply and advice! I’ll be sure to try and ask them about my status.

Hey all! Has anyone had good news after the 4-week mark from the interview? I interviewed 12/14 and haven't heard anything.

Hey all! Has anyone had good news after the 4-week mark from the interview? I interviewed 12/14 and haven't heard anything.
During my interview they said to send them an email to inquire on your status 4 weeks after the interview. I guess send a email at the end of this week! Good luck !

During my interview they said to send them an email to inquire on your status 4 weeks after the interview. I guess send a email at the end of this week! Good luck !
Awesome, thank you! I actually got my acceptance call yesterday so that worked out very well :)

Congratulations! Also, I’m curious, were you on the accepted pending seat list?
Thanks so much! No - I was offered a seat. Honestly, I was really expecting an accepted pending seat so it was definitely a surprise!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all! Quick question - I am extremely torn between ATSU-KCOM and KCU-Kansas City. There are so many pros on both sides so this'll be quite the decision. If anyone has any input on why they chose one over the other, that would be extremely helpful

Hey all! Quick question - I am extremely torn between ATSU-KCOM and KCU-Kansas City. There are so many pros on both sides so this'll be quite the decision. If anyone has any input on why they chose one over the other, that would be extremely helpful
Congrats on your acceptances! Both are great schools and I think both will get you to where you want to be. I suggest making a pros/cons list as I find those to be really helpful in figuring out what you are looking for in a school.

For me, I really liked how ATSU incorporates ultrasound into their curriculum and also found their wide range of clinical rotation sites to be appealing :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I recently saw a post on Reddit of advice from an MS4 regarding things to consider when choosing a medical school. They talked about how much dedicated boards prep time the school provides (it can vary between schools a lot apparently), MS3 grade breakdowns (which plays a role in residency apps), and how much time for electives the school offers because I guess some schools offer little time for exploration other than core rotations. Just some other things to think about if you're really stuck between the two.

Tough decision here. Have you made a pro/con list and compared each school to what you want during the next 4 years? I would also consider residency preferences, if you have any, when making your decision.

I attend ATSU-KCOM if you want any insider info.

Anyone placed on pre-ii hold eventually get an ii?

Just got the acceptance pending a seat! Interviewed and placed in decision hold back in October. Can any former or current APS people speak to how quickly seats are opening?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! Question for the matriculated students - do you all like that ATSU isn't P/F? Does it make a big difference?

Well, I definitely thought I had gotten rejected pre-II but I just got an interview! Complete 8/30.

Will be declining, but for anyone out there still waiting and wondering it's not over!

I've been on the accepted pending seat list since interview on 12/4 and getting accepted mid December. Seeing other ppl getting actually accepted who interviewed after me and am getting a tad nervous. Does anyone know what the process is behind getting off the APS list?
Edit: congrats everyone btw!

I've been on the accepted pending seat list since interview on 12/4 and getting accepted mid December. Seeing other ppl getting actually accepted who interviewed after me and am getting a tad nervous. Does anyone know what the process is behind getting off the APS list?
Edit: congrats everyone btw!
The only thing I can think of is maybe the APS list is ranked? Just guessing though.

Do you think it'd be annoying if I called to find out? 🥺
No, their whole office seems really nice! I’d just ask vague questions though about how the aps list works and maybe mention you’ve been on it since December so you were wondering.

Good day all! Former APS student, current OMS1. So I'll give my experience. Got my II in January, interviewed in Mid Feb, accepted Mid-March (on my birthday actually). By May-June, people were getting emails telling them of their status and from what I could gather not many got off for that year (to start in 2019). In fact, I know of a handful of people in our class who were APS. This is not to say that you won't get off, but if our experience is anything close to what is standard, a majority of you will start the following year. However, with many people getting late acceptances in the cycle and going off to other schools, this can vary.

Good day all! Former APS student, current OMS1. So I'll give my experience. Got my II in January, interviewed in Mid Feb, accepted Mid-March (on my birthday actually). By May-June, people were getting emails telling them of their status and from what I could gather not many got off for that year (to start in 2019). In fact, I know of a handful of people in our class who were APS. This is not to say that you won't get off, but if our experience is anything close to what is standard, a majority of you will start the following year. However, with many people getting late acceptances in the cycle and going off to other schools, this can vary.
This is making me nervous considering I really want to go here but can’t afford to wait another year *sigh*

II today; email said the interview spots had filled up early in the fall, but a few opened up recently, and that they're wondering if I've already committed to another school. Is this a regular II email that everyone else got?
I also got this e-mail, but not sure if it's actually a II or just going through and gauging interest.

II today; email said the interview spots had filled up early in the fall, but a few opened up recently, and that they're wondering if I've already committed to another school. Is this a regular II email that everyone else got?
I wonder if everyone got this email

My email said that they would have normally required me to have direct DO shadowing (obviously I don't) but due to Covid they wanted to interview me anyway but that if I get at least 10 hours of DO shadowing to update them before my interview. It didn't have the wording the rest of you are reporting. hmm lol

Can any current students speak as to how the curriculum here works? Just curious what a normal week is like and how much time you actually have to be in class for, are lectures recorded, how grading works, how much clinical exposure you get in the first two years, etc. I have an interview coming up and im just trying to learn a little more about the school... really excited about this school!

My email said that they would have normally required me to have direct DO shadowing (obviously I don't) but due to Covid they wanted to interview me anyway but that if I get at least 10 hours of DO shadowing to update them before my interview. It didn't have the wording the rest of you are reporting. hmm lol
Yea your email is def different than ours and seems like an actual interview offer. Congrats!

Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

To those on the APS list, Just wait until the deadline to submit your deposit. Spots will open up. Several 2023 students were moved off the APS list later in the year. One was accepted a few weeks before classes started. It varies depending on the year.

Last edited:
Hi all! Question for the matriculated students - do you all like that ATSU isn't P/F? Does it make a big difference?
Hate it.

More stress than it's worth, considering no two programs have the same curriculum. This school has more courses than other programs, too, so you'll be triaging which class to fail during each exam when you get far enough in. We have pushed each year for a change to P/F to be like other programs, but there are a few professors who like to keep the flawed system going.

You also forgot to mention that this school has cumulative finals each semester that aren't even standardized exams. :rolleyes:

In the end, your quartile and class rank are all that matter. GPA won't be sent to residencies, as they will have no idea what to do with that trash.

Last edited:
Can any current students speak as to how the curriculum here works? Just curious what a normal week is like and how much time you actually have to be in class for, are lectures recorded, how grading works, how much clinical exposure you get in the first two years, etc. I have an interview coming up and im just trying to learn a little more about the school... really excited about this school!
Semester I is Basic Sciences. Gets everyone on the same page.

Semesters II-IV are Systems based. Each starts with a basic science approach, and then they teach the medicine aspect of the system. Week leading up to exam they will have all your assessments (pharm, path, phys, micro/infectious disease) and then you'll usually have a day or the weekend to review for the exam.

OMM and US will be throughout your first 4 semesters. OMM is required in person (modified to 1 day/week due to COVID). SP's are in person with public coming in to act.

Year 1 you'll have a few clinical experiences. Otherwise it's just SP's until Year 3.

Everything is recorded for you to watch/rewatch later. You will have required classes if we get a guest physician lecturing. Assessments are also required.

Semester I is Basic Sciences. Gets everyone on the same page.

Semesters II-IV are Systems based. Each starts with a basic science approach, and then they teach the medicine aspect of the system. Week leading up to exam they will have all your assessments (pharm, path, phys, micro/infectious disease) and then you'll usually have a day or the weekend to review for the exam.

OMM and US will be throughout your first 4 semesters. OMM is required in person (modified to 1 day/week due to COVID). SP's are in person with public coming in to act.

Year 1 you'll have a few clinical experiences. Otherwise it's just SP's until Year 3.

Everything is recorded for you to watch/rewatch later. You will have required classes if we get a guest physician lecturing. Assessments are also required.
Thank you for this I appreciate it!

Hate it.

More stress than it's worth, considering no two programs have the same curriculum. This school has more courses than other programs, too, so you'll be triaging which class to fail during each exam when you get far enough in. We have pushed each year for a change to P/F to be like other programs, but there are a few professors who like to keep the flawed system going.

You also forgot to mention that this school has cumulative finals each semester that aren't even standardized exams. :rolleyes:

In the end, your quartile and class rank are all that matter. GPA won't be sent to residencies, as they will have no idea what to do with that trash.
Thank you for your response! Just too dig a little deeper, how is the cumulative final not like a standardized exam? ( is it not similar in questions/formal to the previous exams in that class?)

Hate it.

Can agree to this sentiment, the amount of courses compared to other programs is high and the stress of this aspect of the curriculum can make for some.....interesting thoughts late at night.

I'm debating on closing my file here or keeping it open for an interview. I have an A at ACOM and waiting to hear from KCUCOM. Do y'all think KCOM is better than either school? If any current med students want to voice their response too, please feel free! Thank you!

Update: Closed my file, good luck yall!

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! Just too dig a little deeper, how is the cumulative final not like a standardized exam? ( is it not similar in questions/formal to the previous exams in that class?)
Standardized exams would be questions from a Q bank. This cumulative final is just random questions generated by professors/doctors who teach the class. They're dependent on random details that the instructors think are important or unique, rather than what Boards expect you to know. Some of it is still Board relevant, but the rest is just nitty-gritty details that you'll not need to know come the actual Board exam.

There are other schools who test using Q banks. This one does not.

Also, there are a LOT of errors in questions this year, as professors/doctors were required to make entirely new questions due to students acquiring questions from previous exams. I've had questions where patients had sex-changes in the middle of the case, for example.

It is like a standardized exam in that it is timed to reflect how your Board exam will be administered. So you will be sitting through an 8 hour exam each semester.

Can agree to this sentiment, the amount of courses compared to other programs is high and the stress of this aspect of the curriculum can make for some.....interesting thoughts late at night.
Like dreaming about what you just learned. Something you'll probably start experiencing come Cardio/Renal and definitely during S3. ;)

Standardized exams would be questions from a Q bank. This cumulative final is just random questions generated by professors/doctors who teach the class. They're dependent on random details that the instructors think are important or unique, rather than what Boards expect you to know. Some of it is still Board relevant, but the rest is just nitty-gritty details that you'll not need to know come the actual Board exam.

There are other schools who test using Q banks. This one does not.

Also, there are a LOT of errors in questions this year, as professors/doctors were required to make entirely new questions due to students acquiring questions from previous exams. I've had questions where patients had sex-changes in the middle of the case, for example.

It is like a standardized exam in that it is timed to reflect how your Board exam will be administered. So you will be sitting through an 8 hour exam each semester.
Good lord, and thank you for the details! I know you stated that some faculty are supportive and some resistant. Do you think they will eventually switch to the standardized format completely? ( with the switch to more online activities given COVID)

Good lord, and thank you for the details! I know you stated that some faculty are supportive and some resistant. Do you think they will eventually switch to the standardized format completely? ( with the switch to more online activities given COVID)
Nope. It wasn't until last fall that we got the change to the 70% grading for finals. Otherwise, finals were factored into your grade regardless of how well you did. Not many do well on finals because of how broken the final system is. I'm just happy to get a 70% on each subject. I think the only way a change will be possible is with a massive turnover in educators and possibly even a few admins.

And just a disclaimer: There are classes exempt from the 70% final exam rule. Courses with one block exam, OMM, US, Complete DOctor. OMM, US, and Complete DOctor are basically free passes, though.

At this point, I think we'd have better luck getting the school to remove OMM from the curriculum before we get any further changes to the final system.

Last edited:
Just got the A for the waitlist/alternate list (email says I will be offered a spot if people don’t put in their deposits, or if that doesn’t happen, I’ll have a guaranteed spot in 2022). Interviewed 12/18. Fun fact, did not send a thank you email after this interview.

Pre-ii R! Good luck everyone :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users