2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what the breaks look like for KCOM? I cannot find it anywhere on the academic calendar section of their website

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when the last day is to withdrawal from KCOM? I know the matriculation fee is due May 15th. If we pay that, does that lock us in?

Does anyone know what the breaks look like for KCOM? I cannot find it anywhere on the academic calendar section of their website
Are you asking for dates, or the length?

First years get about 8 weeks, of which 2 weeks they'll spend doing a clerkship at some random hospital in MO.
Second years get a break after boards until their site starts orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you asking for dates, or the length?

First years get about 8 weeks, of which 2 weeks they'll spend doing a clerkship at some random hospital in MO.
Second years get a break after boards until their site starts orientation.
Thank you! I was wondering about the actual dates such as like a fall/winter/summer break? For example on the website it says first years will end on 7/15/22 and then it says they start back up 7/18/22... So i was just wondering for example if there is a summer break.

Thank you! I was wondering about the actual dates such as like a fall/winter/summer break? For example on the website it says first years will end on 7/15/22 and then it says they start back up 7/18/22... So i was just wondering for example if there is a summer break.
image.jpg

This is the academic calendar I was given in my acceptance folder! Summer preceptorship is only 2 weeks during the summer. Also I believe there is usually a fall break first semester as well

Reactions: 1 users

We have a fall break (this year was the whole week of September 20th 2020), a winter break (was Dec 16-Jan 4) and spring break (the whole week of St Patrick's Day). It's really nice notgunnalie. Plus I thought they were fair with how exams were scheduled around the fall/spring breaks. We got to use fall break to study for an OMM exam the week we came back, and then spring break split one of our blocks in half so it at least helped me to catch up on material and take it pretty easy during that time. I'd say most people use breaks as a chance to get out of town too

Reactions: 1 user
We have a fall break (this year was the whole week of September 20th 2020), a winter break (was Dec 16-Jan 4) and spring break (the whole week of St Patrick's Day). It's really nice notgunnalie. Plus I thought they were fair with how exams were scheduled around the fall/spring breaks. We got to use fall break to study for an OMM exam the week we came back, and then spring break split one of our blocks in half so it at least helped me to catch up on material and take it pretty easy during that time. I'd say most people use breaks as a chance to get out of town too
Wow that is pretty nice. Thank you for that information!!

View attachment 335368
This is the academic calendar I was given in my acceptance folder! Summer preceptorship is only 2 weeks during the summer. Also I believe there is usually a fall break first semester as well
I know I probably sound dumb, but what exactly do summer preceptorships entail for first years? And so if it is only 2 weeks does that mean there is a bit of time off in the summer? Thank you for sharing this!

I know I probably sound dumb, but what exactly do summer preceptorships entail for first years? And so if it is only 2 weeks does that mean there is a bit of time off in the summer? Thank you for sharing this!
I believe summer preceptorship is so that we are able to get some early clinical experience from my understanding! Basically spending two weeks with a physician at a clinic/hospital. It looks like summer break is 8 weeks total minus those two weeks which means we get about 6 weeks off in the summer!

I believe summer preceptorship is so that we are able to get some early clinical experience from my understanding! Basically spending two weeks with a physician at a clinic/hospital. It looks like summer break is 8 weeks total minus those two weeks which means we get about 6 weeks off in the summer!
Thanks so much, this is pretty great!

Accepted off the waitlist!!!! Got the phone call yesterday!! Best day of my life. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, you got this!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I just got an email from Donna asking if I was still interested in coming to the school if a spot opens up. Is this a good sign that I might get off the waitlist soon, or was this a general email to everyone on the WL?

I just got an email from Donna asking if I was still interested in coming to the school if a spot opens up. Is this a good sign that I might get off the waitlist soon, or was this a general email to everyone on the WL?
Its very possible. If you are interested in attending let them know and or update them of what you are doing! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its very possible. If you are interested in attending let them know and or update them of what you are doing! Good Luck!
I replied very enthusiastically that I was interested and would love to go to this school. Would it be weird if I sent another email to her with updates, or should I send a LOI?

I replied very enthusiastically that I was interested and would love to go to this school. Would it be weird if I sent another email to her with updates, or should I send a LOI?
They are receptive to updates, I'm pre-ii waitlist, hopefully they give you the A and they invite me for an ii xD

tbh I believe they just send scheduled check ins. I've gotten one every few weeks since being on the aps list.

Donna sent me that email too. I decided to withdraw my application since I think KCU is a better school than ATSU KCOM.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Just received an email saying from ATSU-Kirksville notifying me that their class is now full and that my application is now closed and was recommended to reapply early next year. Literally this is the first communication I had with this school since being complete last July despite 2 attempts earlier in the cycle to reach their staff by email and phone. I probably won't ever apply here again in the future. To be honest, I am skeptical my application was even reviewed at Kirksville. My friend who is an Adcom member at ATSU-SOMA told me that as of late March, close to 2,000 applications still hadn't even been screened electronically or even opened, let alone evaluated holistically. Many of the nearly 2,000 apps were also complete last summer and it wasn't until my Adcom friend asked the rest of the committee why my app hadn't been reviewed that they finally opened my file. I ended up getting an interview invite the very next week from SOMA, but was told that my chance at admissions is now extremely slim b/c SOMA is also "full", and that if my app hadn't fallen through the cracks I would have been interviewed last October or Nov when there were still plenty of seats available. Moral of the story is don't just apply early, but advocate for yourself early and often, and try and make a connection with someone on admissions who can also vouch for you early and often as well.

Last edited:
Accepted off APS today! Finally got the call. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone familiar with how the APS list works? I interviewed in November and was placed on the APS list in December and have noticed others being offered acceptances off the list who interviewed in later months and were placed on the list much later.

Studying more than one day for an OMM exam? o_O

I would recommend taking your breaks during first year as much as possible. Definitely leave Kirksville if you can. You'll need it.

Second year spring break is a wash. The final is the day you get back. You'll also want to study for boards, since you likely won't have done much prior to the final.

Is anyone familiar with how the APS list works? I interviewed in November and was placed on the APS list in December and have noticed others being offered acceptances off the list who interviewed in later months and were placed on the list much later.
I am not exactly sure how it works but I was pulled off it and can tell you that I showed a lot of interest and tried to keep in contact with them. I let them know they were my top choice so maybe that could have something to do with it... this is just my two cents idk exactly how it works. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Has anyone else gotten an email from Donald about transcripts for an "application audit"? I've been accepted but now I'm worried that my prerequisites are inadequate or something. I did send in my transcripts yesterday.

Has anyone else gotten an email from Donald about transcripts for an "application audit"? I've been accepted but now I'm worried that my prerequisites are inadequate or something. I did send in my transcripts yesterday.
u good, it happens to everyone- as long as you didn't falsify your classes and degree 😂

Hey everyone! Is there an accepted student Facebook page / Group me for Class of 2025? Thank you 😊

Hey everyone! Is there an accepted student Facebook page / Group me for Class of 2025? Thank you 😊
"ATSU-KCOM Class of 2025" on Facebook. GroupMe is set up by someone in your class to keep it admin-free.

Hey everyone! Is there an accepted student Facebook page / Group me for Class of 2025? Thank you

We have a Group Me going! You should see a Facebook post once you join the group where you can comment your name and the admin of the group will add you!

Just received an email saying from ATSU-Kirksville notifying me that their class is now full and that my application is now closed and was recommended to reapply early next year. Literally this is the first communication I had with this school since being complete last July despite 2 attempts earlier in the cycle to reach their staff by email and phone. I probably won't ever apply here again in the future. To be honest, I am skeptical my application was even reviewed at Kirksville. My friend who is an Adcom member at ATSU-SOMA told me that as of late March, close to 2,000 applications still hadn't even been screened electronically or even opened, let alone evaluated holistically. Many of the nearly 2,000 apps were also complete last summer and it wasn't until my Adcom friend asked the rest of the committee why my app hadn't been reviewed that they finally opened my file. I ended up getting an interview invite the very next week from SOMA, but was told that my chance at admissions is now extremely slim b/c SOMA is also "full", and that if my app hadn't fallen through the cracks I would have been interviewed last October or Nov when there were still plenty of seats available. Moral of the story is don't just apply early, but advocate for yourself early and often, and try and make a connection with someone on admissions who can also vouch for you early and often as well.
I don't know where you are mental/emotionally for this cycle, but if you keep on SOMA its still possible to get a seat. You always hear the tired stories of people getting in a week before classes start 😂. May the odds be in your favor

I don't know where you are mental/emotionally for this cycle, but if you keep on SOMA its still possible to get a seat. You always hear the tired stories of people getting in a week before classes start 😂. May the odds be in your favor
Are you still expecting** APS movement?

Thanks, yeah I'm sort of over this cycle and making plans to reapply next year (unfortunately my mcat is now expired and I won't be ready this upcoming cycle to reapply). I am still crossing my fingers for a last min admission at any of the schools I was waitlisted at, as it would save me at least 2 years, but I am def not holding my breath either :/

You never know, we still have two months before we start. I wouldn't just give up, but keep admissions in your communications. If you are on the waitlist and have been talking to them, then more likely to take you.-not trying to give false hope, but this actually happens lol

I do know that we have a $500 matriculation deposit due May 15th, so maybe if there’s some people who end up forfeiting their seat around that date, there will be some APS movement?

We have a Group Me going! You should see a Facebook post once you join the group where you can comment your name and the admin of the group will add you!
Is there any way you could get me in contact with the GroupMe admin? I don’t have a Facebook account.

It was a hard decision, but I withdrew my A! I would have loved ATSU (and the fact that your interviewer hand writes a letter to congratulate you made this super difficult). Hoping that my seat goes to one of you SDN friends :)))

Notifications went out this week to the top 5 on the waitlist. I'm high up so hopefully will be seeing y'all this summer 🥰

-edit: I am finally in!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
#4 bbyyyy don’t know if I’ll take it though, I’m pretty set on another school, so I hope it goes to one of you!!!

Accepted 2 days ago off of the waitlist!!! Hang in there y'all!

Do any current students have restaurant suggestions for dinner in Kirksville? Looking for a decent place to eat with the fam?