ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may want to hold off getting a iPad. There is a pilot program going on to integrate iPads into our curriculum and provide students with new ones included in our tuition. Nothing is set in stone and it is only in the testing phase right now but it is possible we may get them by the time your class starts, so I would hold off buying one for now until we know more
That would be pretty cool!

Members don't see this ad.

I will probably stick with pen and paper because thats what I used all throughout undergrad... Why change a good thing?

Totally agree...And to be honest with you, I'm not gonna use it during lecture. I'll buy some paper notebooks for that. From what I watched on YouTube, the lecture goes by too fast in med school to keep up with it on an iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwJcpzJ4oo). I'm gonna get the stylus for when I'm studying at the library or coffee shop (do they have those in Kirksville? :laugh:) and I can take notes directing onto Powerpoint slides without lugging around a bunch of paper.

You may want to hold off getting a iPad. There is a pilot program going on to integrate iPads into our curriculum and provide students with new ones included in our tuition. Nothing is set in stone and it is only in the testing phase right now but it is possible we may get them by the time your class starts, so I would hold off buying one for now until we know more

Heard about this...kinda interested to hear more about it

Members don't see this ad :)
] coffee shop (do they have those in Kirksville? :laugh:)

Now I'm not a coffee man myself...but I am coming from the business world...and I'm starting to see how I might fund my KCOM education without loans . . .:idea:

So, I was about to say that the chances of this are about zero and how it would be silly to wait on something that won't happen this year:
https://plus.google.com/116872593412069755325/posts

While I still doubt that it would happen for this year's incoming class, they are moving towards that direction.

Now I'm not a coffee man myself...but I am coming from the business world...and I'm starting to see how I might fund my KCOM education without loans . . .:idea:

Brilliant! Since I consider myself a team player, I'd be glad to join you in that endeavor

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

That would be my luck:rolleyes:, go out and buy one just to get handed one at orientation! Although, I really do hope they do decide to implement an ipad program it could be a great tool. I'm sure I could sell mine or maybe they will credit your tuition of you turn down the "free" one. I guess I will have to cross that bridge when if/it comes.
I don’t think I will be tossing the paper and pencil either but hopefully I can at least lesson the amount of binders/books I have to lug around. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it’s good to see this thread filled with some conversation!

That would be my luck:rolleyes:, go out and buy one just to get handed one at orientation! Although, I really do hope they do decide to implement an ipad program it could be a great tool. I'm sure I could sell mine or maybe they will credit your tuition of you turn down the "free" one. I guess I will have to cross that bridge when if/it comes.
I don’t think I will be tossing the paper and pencil either but hopefully I can at least lesson the amount of binders/books I have to lug around. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it’s good to see this thread filled with some conversation!

But still, wouldn't they just account you not needing an Ipad into your cost of attendance?
I'm thinking about getting an Ipad2 as well since the new one isn't that much better. Also, I was thinking about getting a Zaggfolio while they had the $100 deal going on with free earbuds. Hmmmmm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it’s good to see this thread filled with some conversation!

+1 - I get more excited about KCOM every time I read a new post on that thread? Yes...I think I need to get a life :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally agree...And to be honest with you, I'm not gonna use it during lecture. I'll buy some paper notebooks for that. From what I watched on YouTube, the lecture goes by too fast in med school to keep up with it on an iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CwJcpzJ4oo). I'm gonna get the stylus for when I'm studying at the library or coffee shop (do they have those in Kirksville? :laugh:) and I can take notes directing onto Powerpoint slides without lugging around a bunch of paper.

Ha. I actually went to one coffee shop on the square when I was there last week and I swear everyone in there had a tablet.

Ha. I actually went to one coffee shop on the square when I was there last week and I swear everyone in there had a tablet.

Excellent...I'll blend right in

Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey! Where is everyone?

I got an email yesterday notifying me that the class of 2016 is currently full and if I would be interested in doing a late interview if things change at KCOM. I said yes.

Anybody else get an email of this sort?

Don't you think that they have enough people on the waitlist to satisfy their class fulfillment?

I got an email yesterday notifying me that the class of 2016 is currently full and if I would be interested in doing a late interview if things change at KCOM. I said yes.

Don't you think that they have enough people on the waitlist to satisfy their class fulfillment?

Interesting indeed. When did you submit primary and secondary apps? Is this the first you've heard back since your secondary?

Very interesting. I would say that this is a good sign for those in the seat pending limbo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Oh, I've just been waiting for you to cook the eggs and bakey...

Ha ha that will have to wait until August friend. Then we will have beer, eggs, bakey, ect...

This is odd.

This could mean that they anticipate taking everyone off the accepted pending and waitlist, but that almost seems crazy. That's good for everyone on those lists, but then why is everyone flocking everywhere else but KCOM? Especially in a year where med school applications are on an upward trend.

Heart breaker warning:
This could also mean that they weren't comfortable with some of the people on the waitlist. Or perhaps they are looking for a particular someone, maybe a GPA level, MCAT level, an empathetic person, an older person, a younger person, someone awesome, etc; that they haven't found in the current waitlist/pending list. I personally find this crazy too though.

This KCOM thread is the weirdest ever.

We talking scrambled or what?

A) You love it
B) duh scrambled
C) you nailed the logic on your analysis of these "possible interviews"

To be honest I don't think anyone is flocking away. I think it is them being very selective on their admissions.

This happened to me last year so I'm assuming they hold an additional 2 interview dates every year for late applicants they are very interested in. I say go for it. I did last year and I'm a first year here now, though I was in the accepted pending a seat limbo till a few months before we started. So if you don't mind more endless waiting, it's worth it.

I love this group more every day....this is going to be a good class...I can tell.

Any of you incoming first years interested in buying a Lenovo tablet? I'm interested in selling mine as I don't intend on using it too much during 3rd and 4th year.

If you're interested, PM me.

I love this group more every day....this is going to be a good class...I can tell.
i agree!

here's to pending acceptance list! i turned down an acceptance from wvsom for kcom because of a gut feeling, plain and simple. born and raised in missouri and have been living in california for half my life. ready for a change in scenery. i hope to meet everyone this year and if not this year, then the next!
Gan Bae! (Cheers!)

I hate to be so impatient, but has there been any movement on that pending list? Has anybody heard anything yet? I know that I am lucky that I am accepted for next year for sure, but it would be really great to just know. :xf: I am a non-trad as well, just finishing up my masters thesis and trying to figure out if I should start seriously pursuing jobs for the next year or just looking for something for the next few months. I wish I could afford to just not work, but unfortunately, I have a mortgage and bills to pay. The suspense is just killing me. And to top it off, when I finally stop thinking about it, someone inevitably asks me if I have heard anything yet. AHHH? LOL :rolleyes:

Sorry to prolong your agony but I would doubt that there would be any movement until around may

Sorry to prolong your agony but I would doubt that there would be any movement until around may

When I spoke to Donna she said the bulk of the movement will be in April, when the next deposit deadline hits. She indicated everything else would be trickle movement.

When I spoke to Donna she said the bulk of the movement will be in April, when the next deposit deadline hits. She indicated everything else would be trickle movement.

I definitely need to remember to send in that deposit..putting it on the calendar now

I definitely need to remember to send in that deposit..putting it on the calendar now

I would tell most people to just go ahead and forget, but I really want you to be there!

28% of practicing DOs are from KCOM :)
Found it in their booklet online. Of course this percentage is going down each year, but in the future, I hope this helps out with opportunities.

Well since I didn't win the mega millions lottery like I was expecting, I guess I should start applying for scholarships for the fall.

Well since I didn't win the mega millions lottery like I was expecting, I guess I should start applying for scholarships for the fall.

Yea same...I thought I had that 640 mil. on lock

This question is for any current KCOM med students: Are you guys mainly taking unsubsidized loans to pay off the tuition? Is there any students just taking loans for the tuition? not counting housing/food etc., if so how much is your monthly interest rate?
I'm sorry for all these questions but I'm trying to get a picture of how much interest will accrued plus the loan amount once I graduate if I just take out the loans for tuition.

I just heard kcom is halving tuition next year.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile