ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Started by ShyRem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just remembered...dntke1518 should be in kirksville today. Surprised we haven't heard from him
Yesh I was there yesterday! Busy day, sorry I haven't been around. Signed a lease yesterday with Heritage House Realty, Ken Read was a great guy to work with for those still looking for housing. Getting pretty stoked to meet all of you this fall!
 
Yesh I was there yesterday! Busy day, sorry I haven't been around. Signed a lease yesterday with Heritage House Realty, Ken Read was a great guy to work with for those still looking for housing. Getting pretty stoked to meet all of you this fall!

I will also recommend this place because that's who I was going through when I was looking for an off campus apartment. The realtor I was working with was very professional and seemed very dedicated in helping me find a place that aligned with my wants/needs.

Glad to see you got a place!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yesh I was there yesterday! Busy day, sorry I haven't been around. Signed a lease yesterday with Heritage House Realty, Ken Read was a great guy to work with for those still looking for housing. Getting pretty stoked to meet all of you this fall!

Question: how did you go about selecting your place? Im going up mid week and if you are willing, Id like to hear what you discovered during your trip.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile
 
Question: how did you go about selecting your place? Im going up mid week and if you are willing, Id like to hear what you discovered during your trip.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile
Well I looked around on the ATSU portal list (there is a link posted in the facebook group), I somehow stumbled upon Heritage House Realty and was really just looking at med row stuff (because I want to be close to campus)... I set up a meeting with Ken Read (owner of Heritage) and met him, he showed me three other units other than the one that I was interested in. I ended up picking a new construction that is approx 3 blocks away from campus. Seriously, call Ken... he's got boss status in KVille.
 
Well I looked around on the ATSU portal list (there is a link posted in the facebook group), I somehow stumbled upon Heritage House Realty and was really just looking at med row stuff (because I want to be close to campus)... I set up a meeting with Ken Read (owner of Heritage) and met him, he showed me three other units other than the one that I was interested in. I ended up picking a new construction that is approx 3 blocks away from campus. Seriously, call Ken... he's got boss status in KVille.

I wish they would let the accepted pending a seat students into the housing portal. Sure, renting at this point would be silly, but having an idea so we can pounce the second we're in would be great.
 
I wish they would let the accepted pending a seat students into the housing portal. Sure, renting at this point would be silly, but having an idea so we can pounce the second we're in would be great.

You can always contact realtors around kville. The portal has a lot of smaller landlords
 
Accepted Pending seat people..I gathered this data from previous posts. I hope it helps! Let’s keep it update!!
.—.name interview acc/pen seat​
.—.Eric552 20-Oct 18-Jan​
.—.poporopo 20-Oct 18-Jan​
.—.sean7kelly 27-Jan 3-Feb​
.—.phillymed116 26-Jan 9-Feb​
.—.mmckuin 19-Jan 10-Feb​
.—.Chiroptile 30-Jan 10-Feb​
.—.Doutor 20-Jan 15-Feb
​
.—.yankeefan18 3-Feb 15-Feb​
.—.cougardiver 20-Feb 22-Feb​
.—.kson223 17-Feb 24-Feb​
.—.Zfin 17-Feb 24-Feb
.—.futuredoctor93 17 Jan 10 Feb
.—.DRwannubee 02 Mar 10 Mar

​

Also, has anyone on this list decided to attend elsewhere? Just curious as I hate waiting!:whistle:
 
For me, besides reputation and that they let you achieve whatever you want to achieve, was the family oriented philosophy.
I'm married and I have two kids... I know that medical school will be pretty hard for me and harder for them. KCOM is my number one option because of the support network for families or significant ones. This is something that no other school offers.

This!

I interviewed at several schools and while all of them said they are family friendly KCOM was the only one who’s support network was evident by their programs and seemingly high concentration of students with significant others utilizing/praising the support network. Most schools left the description of their support network at: we have a club for that. The town of Kirksville its self is a great fit for my family as well, as we (my wife especially) are not huge fans of big city life. I felt that attending KCOM would maximize my potential to be successful and attain my professional goals while minimizing negative impacts on my family.

I too am really looking forward to meeting everybody!! I was thinking that when it gets closer to moving season we should try and set up some sort of system so we can all get acquainted. Some ideas off the top of my head are helping each other move in, having a few BBQs or game/movie nights.

Disclaimer: No, I’m not soliciting for free move in help, just thought it might be a good way to break the ice/welcome each other to K ville. I’m going to have enough help as it is with both my family and the in laws wanting to caravan Kirksville to see us off:scared:. I just hope it doesn’t turn into the next script for one those Vacation movies with Chevy Chase!
 
I too am really looking forward to meeting everybody!! I was thinking that when it gets closer to moving season we should try and set up some sort of system so we can all get acquainted. Some ideas off the top of my head are helping each other move in, having a few BBQs or game/movie nights.

Definitely down for this! I'm gonna be moving in at the end of July to give some time to meet y'all
 
Definitely down for this! I'm gonna be moving in at the end of July to give some time to meet y'all

I should be all moved in by June so I'll be pumped to meet everyone too, and I'd also be down for helping anyone move in if they need it.
 
I'll be there August 1st (I signed a lease with Heritage House too!) so I would love to meet you guys before school starts! And I can be a moving helper too!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I looked around on the ATSU portal list (there is a link posted in the facebook group), I somehow stumbled upon Heritage House Realty and was really just looking at med row stuff (because I want to be close to campus)... I set up a meeting with Ken Read (owner of Heritage) and met him, he showed me three other units other than the one that I was interested in. I ended up picking a new construction that is approx 3 blocks away from campus. Seriously, call Ken... he's got boss status in KVille.
Was it the new construction off of the main street that they just started breaking ground on. I was there a couple of weeks ago and signed on a new construction through Ken also. Just wondering if it's the same place
 
Was it the new construction off of the main street that they just started breaking ground on. I was there a couple of weeks ago and signed on a new construction through Ken also. Just wondering if it's the same place
Yesh
 
Also, has anyone on this list decided to attend elsewhere? Just curious as I hate waiting!:whistle:



Yep, I have. And it was a painful decision, as I LOVED KCOM. I just have personal ties with my chosen/state school.

Good luck to everyone. 🙂
 
Yep, I have. And it was a painful decision, as I LOVED KCOM. I just have personal ties with my chosen/state school.

Good luck to everyone. 🙂

Good luck to you at your state school! If you don't mind, when did/will you withdraw from KCOM?

Has anyone heard about Accepted pending a seat movement yet?
 
Agreed. I think it looks great. How's the proximity to campus?

It's 500 a month and by the aquatic center.
I decided that the proximity didn't matter to me since I have a car and a road bike (and two legs!). In all seriousness, a good thing about KCOM is all housing is within a 5 minute drive.
 
It's 500 a month and by the aquatic center.
I decided that the proximity didn't matter to me since I have a car and a road bike (and two legs!). In all seriousness, a good thing about KCOM is all housing is within a 5 minute drive.

Nice...when do you plan to move in?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Spent the day yesterday in Kirksville exploring and taking care of housing stuff. I'm gonna enjoy this place 🙂
 
As I wait to see whether I start this August or the next, wanted to find out if there are any cyclists out there.
 
As I wait to see whether I start this August or the next, wanted to find out if there are any cyclists out there.

I cycle. I ride a Litespeed Ghisallo. What do you ride? Also waiting to hear about August 2012 vs Augst 2013.


Does anyone know how many people are "Accepted Pending a Seat?"
 
As I wait to see whether I start this August or the next, wanted to find out if there are any cyclists out there.

My girlfriend and I ride, though I refuse to buy something expensive... by refuse I mean I couldn't even if I wanted to. Anyways, I like my partial Aluminium late 80s Univega.
 
I cycle. I ride a Litespeed Ghisallo. What do you ride? Also waiting to hear about August 2012 vs Augst 2013.


Does anyone know how many people are "Accepted Pending a Seat?"

As someone said, I do know in the past they've accepted people off that list in near entirety. But do think, if that's your only option, you still have a for-sure acceptance to medical school for the following year: not many people even get any kind of acceptance. Another way to look at this is that you will get the chance to just chill out for an entire year which many med students have seemed to recommend.

Sit tight. It'll come soon. Til then, rock out.
 
As someone said, I do know in the past they've accepted people off that list in near entirety. But do think, if that's your only option, you still have a for-sure acceptance to medical school for the following year: not many people even get any kind of acceptance. Another way to look at this is that you will get the chance to just chill out for an entire year which many med students have seemed to recommend.

Sit tight. It'll come soon. Til then, rock out.
+1

Exactly, at least you are not on a waitlist! Is there one this year btw?
 
I have a couple.. Primary ride at the moment is a Kona soft tail. Thinking of bringing it to K-ville. One of my interviewers suggested there is a trail system running through town. Should be perfect for decompression sessions..
 
My girlfriend and I ride, though I refuse to buy something expensive... by refuse I mean I couldn't even if I wanted to. Anyways, I like my partial Aluminium late 80s Univega.

I have a friend who rides something similar and really loves it. My dad is also partial to the aluminum frames.

I wouldn't have bought anything expensive if I was going to go broke over it. I had an acquaintance who was selling his for such a steep discount I don't think I could have gotten many new road bikes for less.

Good to hear about the trail system. Always safer to have somewhere other than the road to ride.
 
As someone said, I do know in the past they've accepted people off that list in near entirety. But do think, if that's your only option, you still have a for-sure acceptance to medical school for the following year: not many people even get any kind of acceptance. Another way to look at this is that you will get the chance to just chill out for an entire year which many med students have seemed to recommend.

Sit tight. It'll come soon. Til then, rock out.

As a non-trad...I've been chilling out for so long (5+ years out of academia) already I might go crazy! 🙂

But on a serious note, you're right. Time to just sit back and enjoy the show. I am very grateful to know I'll be a doctor one way or the other. While I continue to pursue other options since I'd prefer this year over next year, this is my only acceptance so far, and I think that's why I'm so nervous about it. That said, if I'm only going to get one acceptance, I'm glad that is at KCOM. I am very excited about attending. I can hardly wait to get started.
 
As a non-trad...I've been chilling out for so long (5+ years out of academia) already I might go crazy! 🙂

But on a serious note, you're right. Time to just sit back and enjoy the show. I am very grateful to know I'll be a doctor one way or the other. While I continue to pursue other options since I'd prefer this year over next year, this is my only acceptance so far, and I think that's why I'm so nervous about it. That said, if I'm only going to get one acceptance, I'm glad that is at KCOM. I am very excited about attending. I can hardly wait to get started.

No worries, I'm nontraditional.
Undergrad for music ed (5 years)
Teaching in the school system (2 years)
Post bacc (1 year)
Masters in Chem (2 years)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Bump...

What's new everybody?

I just got an ipad 2! After they dropped a hundred in price and reading our FB page I decided it would be a good investment. Now I’m just trying to find the best note taking/studying app/apps to get. I have heard good things about notability, iannotate, and drop box, especially if you use them together. Anyone have any other suggestions for apps to get for med school?
 
I just got an ipad 2! After they dropped a hundred in price and reading our FB page I decided it would be a good investment. Now I'm just trying to find the best note taking/studying app/apps to get. I have heard good things about notability, iannotate, and drop box, especially if you use them together. Anyone have any other suggestions for apps to get for med school?

The bolded are good apps...you may also want to consider evernote and Upad. I am going to get a stylus (jot pro) for my ipad to take some notes. I may go back to pen and paper, but I'm gonna give it a try.

ETA: Forgot about Medscape, epocrates, SDN, and of course, the ATSU mobile app!
 
The bolded are good apps...you may also want to consider evernote and Upad. I am going to get a stylus (jot pro) for my ipad to take some notes. I may go back to pen and paper, but I'm gonna give it a try.

ETA: Forgot about Medscape, epocrates, SDN, and of course, the ATSU mobile app!
Medscape is a good one! I also have SDN and ATSU mobile for my iPhone. I will probably stick with pen and paper because thats what I used all throughout undergrad... Why change a good thing?
 
You may want to hold off getting a iPad. There is a pilot program going on to integrate iPads into our curriculum and provide students with new ones included in our tuition. Nothing is set in stone and it is only in the testing phase right now but it is possible we may get them by the time your class starts, so I would hold off buying one for now until we know more