ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are deposits due on May 1st?? I know ours are due on the 15th, and I was accepted pretty early on, so I wonder who falls into the 1st category?

Members don't see this ad.

It might not be exactly the 1st, but its the first few days of may. Good luck to those that are waiting for news.

Sent from my PG86100 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone doing?

Pretty good here! So here is some news for you all, my wife, and I are expecting our second child, a baby girl on sept 15th! It ought to make for an exciting first quarter. I alternate between feeling like this: :scared: :barf::slap:to feeling like this::hardy::highfive::soexcited::clap: . I'm getting better about staying postive because my wife is great and totally capable taking on the challenge, KCOM is one of the best medical schools for growing families to succeed at and my 3 year old is so excited to help mommy with a new baby! so I know it will work out its just going to be quite the expirence.

Anybody have any words of wisdom, know a good OB/GYN in Kirksville, Have kids who would like a 3 year old playmate, or crazy enough to be having a baby around the start of medschool?

Pretty good here! So here is some news for you all, my wife, and I are expecting our second child, a baby girl on sept 15th! It ought to make for an exciting first quarter. I alternate between feeling like this: :scared: :barf::slap:to feeling like this::hardy::highfive::soexcited::clap: . I'm getting better about staying postive because my wife is great and totally capable taking on the challenge, KCOM is one of the best medical schools for growing families to succeed at and my 3 year old is so excited to help mommy with a new baby! so I know it will work out its just going to be quite the expirence.

Anybody have any words of wisdom, know a good OB/GYN in Kirksville, Have kids who would like a 3 year old playmate, or crazy enough to be having a baby around the start of medschool?
Wow congrats!

Right there with you DrapDO. My wife is due Oct. 15th and we have a 1 1/2 year old!

I hate deposits

Agreed, take comfort in the fact that this is the last one.

On a side note... this thread will soon become obsolete as a new cycle is beggining. Sad... most of you have been quiet anyways.

On a side note... this thread will soon become obsolete as a new cycle is beggining. Sad... most of you have been quiet anyways.

Man time flies by fast... Here's to hoping the next class beats DMU in comments and views on their thread :)

Scary thought that year 1 is coming to an end, went by VERY fast. Though I gotta keep reminding myself I still got another 3 weeks and to not be in summer mode yet, VERY hard thing to do (hence why I'm on here procrastinating...).

Members don't see this ad :)
All good things must come to an end... and the new rises out of the ashes. This thread ends as our med school career begins.

Okay all you enthusiastic KCOMers (current and future- meaning next years class): any advice for this school specifically concerning the secondary application essays and interview? What bases should I make sure to cover in my secondary?

First: honesty.
Then: What is your marketing ploy, so to speak. Your personal statement sets the tone and the theme, and the secondaries and interviews should resonant and reinforce that theme.
I think the biggest mistake people make at selling themselves (businesses as well) is that they try to include too many points or aspects, and never really develop their marketing points.

Hey accepted pending people. Our last deposit is coming up after this weekend, I know of at least one seat (I know its not much, but SDN does not represent the whole world) so you guys should see some movement! Keep your fingers crossed!

Alright everyone... the new years thread has begun and we are now obsolete... Migrate to the Osteopathic Class Threads (since we are med students now, well in a few months!)

For all those in the accepted pending an open seat situation, there is movement on the list! I just got a call today from Donna offering me a spot for class of 2016. Hope to see ya all in Kirksville! :)

funny you should mention that. I received an email from Donna saying all deposits are in and that she'll call when i'm within top 2 spots of getting called off pending acceptance list. sounded like any movement would be due to last minute drops... guess you were the lucky one. congrats

Hi Everyone,

I'm sad to say I have decided to withdraw my spot at KCOM. It was a hard choice, but my wife and I decided that another program had a better fit for my family in our specific circumstance. Thanks to everyone on this thread who has so graciously answered my questions. I'm sad I won't be able to make the move in party with mbpeas, dntke and the others after all.

Good luck to all of you, and congrats to one lucky waitlister who now has a spot in the incoming class. You are sure to have a wonderful experience. I look forward to joining you all in training for the osteopathic profession in a couple of months.

Warm Regards,

Cougardiver

Sad day cougardiver, nonetheless, best of luck to you and your wife!! If you don't mind me asking... where will you be attending?

Sad day cougardiver, nonetheless, best of luck to you and your wife!! If you don't mind me asking... where will you be attending?

A sad day indeed. This was a very tough decision, and took much more into account than only the schools. I will be attending AZCOM. I would still love to stay in touch with you guys, and hopefully run into each other at a conference now and then.

Just gave up my seat at KCOM. Good luck to all the AP people. Sad to say I wont be attending it is such a great school and community.

To all those who were accepted this year, what kind of clinical experiences did you have? It seems like KCOM places some emphasis on clinical experience which is why I am wondering.

-3.69 non-science/3.22 s/3.44o. MCAT is 23 (8PS/5V/10BS) ( I am retaking it in July).
-graduated with my bachelors in Nutrition with a minor in Biology.
-100 hours volunteering at the hospital/30+ hours shadowing a D.O.
-chiropractors office and saw manipulations.
-300 hours of research experience
-lots of EC with very heavy emphasis on leadership. (I did Army ROTC and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant).

ANY feedback is much appreciated! Thanks.

To all those who were accepted this year, what kind of clinical experiences did you have? It seems like KCOM places some emphasis on clinical experience which is why I am wondering.

-3.69 non-science/3.22 s/3.44o. MCAT is 23 (8PS/5V/10BS) ( I am retaking it in July).
-lots of EC with very heavy emphasis on leadership. (I did Army ROTC and commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant).

I'm accepted and starting in the fall.

I know they like to see upwards of 100 hours of shadowing a DO.
Is that true? Perhaps. I think the thing is that many people do many hours of shadowing and then do a handful with a DO so they can apply to DO schools.

True, DO schools have lower stats, but don't give too much credit to the correlation of stats to a good physician. Sure, a higher GPA could show something, but what exactly?

I'm about to finish my masters in chemistry with hundreds and hundreds of hours of research. But that means next to nothing unless you intend to do research. Considering that AT Still is not research heavy (as many DO and MD schools are the same), being research orientated *could* be less of a positive than you would expect. I'm not saying it's a negative, but it could be very unhelpful. This was my experience during interviews at various schools.

What chiropractors do really isn't OMM. Sure it's high velocity manipulations, but DO really focus on more subtle manipulations that chiropractors don't do. If you mention in an interview "Yea! I know all about OMM, I saw the chiropractor do tons of it!", then you might as well walk out the door and end the interview there. Am I saying that the experience isn't awesome? Of course not. I'm saying that mentioning it in that fashion gives a very naive vibe that will undoubtedly be extremely detrimental to your application/interview.

Your GPA is more than fine. My undergrad in music ed was 3.1 and my master in chemistry is about 3.85.

Your MCAT is a killer. You definitely need a higher MCAT. But your scores look ok other than the Verbal, so you should be able to really bring that up. Good luck on your next mcat!

Whether it is KCOM or another school, get to know their program. The internet and their websites are helpful. I found that KCOM essentially laid out what they look for on their website. For those reading this post, if you ask me what they are, then you proved my next point.

Make sure you are really interested in their program. For osteopathic schools: they don't take the "next tier" of students (aka scraps) that the MD schools throw to them. Osteopathic schools could easily have a little bit higher of MCAT and GPA stats if they did that. What they are really after is people who are truly interested in their program. The best way in my opinion is to shadow MULTIPLE osteopathic doctors for multiple days.

This post is semi-generic for anyone else reading this post. So if some of this information is not useful for you, it's because I wrote it also for other readers.

I'm accepted and starting in the fall.

I know they like to see upwards of 100 hours of shadowing a DO.
Is that true? Perhaps. I think the thing is that many people do many hours of shadowing and then do a handful with a DO so they can apply to DO schools.

True, DO schools have lower stats, but don't give too much credit to the correlation of stats to a good physician. Sure, a higher GPA could show something, but what exactly?

I'm about to finish my masters in chemistry with hundreds and hundreds of hours of research. But that means next to nothing unless you intend to do research. Considering that AT Still is not research heavy (as many DO and MD schools are the same), being research orientated *could* be less of a positive than you would expect. I'm not saying it's a negative, but it could be very unhelpful. This was my experience during interviews at various schools.

What chiropractors do really isn't OMM. Sure it's high velocity manipulations, but DO really focus on more subtle manipulations that chiropractors don't do. If you mention in an interview "Yea! I know all about OMM, I saw the chiropractor do tons of it!", then you might as well walk out the door and end the interview there. Am I saying that the experience isn't awesome? Of course not. I'm saying that mentioning it in that fashion gives a very naive vibe that will undoubtedly be extremely detrimental to your application/interview.

Your GPA is more than fine. My undergrad in music ed was 3.1 and my master in chemistry is about 3.85.

Your MCAT is a killer. You definitely need a higher MCAT. But your scores look ok other than the Verbal, so you should be able to really bring that up. Good luck on your next mcat!

Whether it is KCOM or another school, get to know their program. The internet and their websites are helpful. I found that KCOM essentially laid out what they look for on their website. For those reading this post, if you ask me what they are, then you proved my next point.

Make sure you are really interested in their program. For osteopathic schools: they don't take the "next tier" of students (aka scraps) that the MD schools throw to them. Osteopathic schools could easily have a little bit higher of MCAT and GPA stats if they did that. What they are really after is people who are truly interested in their program. The best way in my opinion is to shadow MULTIPLE osteopathic doctors for multiple days.

This post is semi-generic for anyone else reading this post. So if some of this information is not useful for you, it's because I wrote it also for other readers.

Thanks for sharing! Mind sharing your stats? It'd be helpful to know where new applicants stand.

Thanks for sharing! Mind sharing your stats? It'd be helpful to know where new applicants stand.

Here's my "stats"

I'm blonde hair, blue eyes, male, right handed. Enjoy bike riding and long walks on the be...

Er... here's stats for ya.
GPA
3.1 music ed undergrad
3.85 masters in chemistry
31Q MCAT
age 28

But remember, it's not stats that get you into med school....
Find the AAMC stats for students entering med school.
While a 4.0 gpa and a MCAT 35+ means you have a reallllly good chance, there's still 1% that can't get in.

If any one is up for a phone upgrade, I would recommend getting an iPhone. The 5 should be released in a couple-few months. The iPhone 4 or 5 will pair nicely with the iPads we will be using :)

Also, you probably want to begin looking into stylus' and external keyboard/case for the iPad3. I've been researching for a while about the keyboards and it's tough to make a decision due to so many options.

If any one is up for a phone upgrade, I would recommend getting an iPhone. The 5 should be released in a couple-few months. The iPhone 4 or 5 will pair nicely with the iPads we will be using :)

Also, you probably want to begin looking into stylus' and external keyboard/case for the iPad3. I've been researching for a while about the keyboards and it's tough to make a decision due to so many options.

I personally will be sticking to my galaxy s3 coming soon. Just me though!

My uncle uses the ipad alot for work and he mentioned that there is some keyboard in a case that isn't made by apple, but either touted or licensed by them? I wonder what he was talking about. I do know apple makes a standalone bluetooth keyboard.

To my knowledge, they look for well rounded candidates. Your experience in the US military along with your hours of volunteering, shadowing, and research can be used as an edge. For shadowing, I wouldn't focus on the number of hours as much as your insights during that time and the variety of doctors/specialties you were able to see.
I would also definitely list non-medical work/volunteer experiences since this gives a fuller picture of who you are. And this is my own opinion, but since it seems like ROTC was a big part of your life, I would use it to your advantage. There's so much that applies to ROTC besides just leadership.

As for your academics, I think a solid MCAT score would help esp since your sGPA is on the low side. Study hard!! Your score won't come back until August, so if you do well, I think you'll be in the middle of the rush. Just be sure to get your app in right after you take the MCAT.

In my essays and interviews, I think I came off as a strong candidate due to what I got out of my experiences, and not the time spent in them. I showed how I matured through the past 4 years, and overcame challenges.

If you have chances to get unique volunteer/work experiences, I would go for it.

If you'd like a more detailed list of my stats and EC activities, just ping me. But I would actually discourage you from doing so. By hearing other applicants' stats you can either become discouraged, or encouraged (if you have "better" stats than them) and stop trying as hard to solidify your application.

I personally will be sticking to my galaxy s3 coming soon. Just me though!

My uncle uses the ipad alot for work and he mentioned that there is some keyboard in a case that isn't made by apple, but either touted or licensed by them? I wonder what he was talking about. I do know apple makes a standalone bluetooth keyboard.

There's a ton of keyboards that look OEM. Including Zagg, Logitech, Belkin, Kenningston, NewTrent, ClamCase, MIC, etc... :)

I didn't hear that we get ipads now for school, when was this announced?

I didn't hear that we get ipads now for school, when was this announced?

They sent this is our student emails and the emails we had on file. Also, there has been alot of electronic communication (unofficially) via the facebook group. Also, look for ATSU ITS twitter or google+ page as they have been putting out alot of information as well.

They sent this is our student emails and the emails we had on file. Also, there has been alot of electronic communication (unofficially) via the facebook group. Also, look for ATSU ITS twitter or google+ page as they have been putting out alot of information as well.

Thanks!!

Anyone know of other DO schools that are using iPads? I know a few MD schools have, but have only heard of KCOM so far for DOs.

Anyone know of other DO schools that are using iPads? I know a few MD schools have, but have only heard of KCOM so far for DOs.

According to an iPad discussion in these forums, TCOM is receiving iPads. DCOM is receiving Lenovo Thinkpads. And when I was over at DMU, there were rumors that they would soon get iPads (they are already receiving a laptop and an iTouch).

Give it a couple years and I bet half of the programs will be using some sort of tablet. Yes, ATSU made a great choice in piloting the program early, but in a few years, there will be no difference. Still, I'm a big :thumbup:

You guys really brought this motha back to life! I am also excited about the iPad gig, it will fit right in with my iPhone 4s, and MacBook Pro.

As far as the person asking about stats:
- 3.21/3.18 27Q (7,10,10)
- Worked as an EMT in the ED (12 hr night shift, shoot me) for 3 years while being a full-time student
-80 hours primary care shadowing
-Quite a bit of leadership through out undergrad

You can look at my MDapps if you want more info.

2016ers we're getting close, get pumped.

Congrats 2016ers! I came here looking for the secondary prompt from last year, but couldn't help but leave a note on the last page.

Hrmm now I'm in a predicament. About to get off a waitlist at a MD school close to home.
I've read advice for other people's situations, but mine is a little different.

I feel a stronger pull towards ATSU - some of it for being a smaller community, curriculum (systems-based, blocks, ultrasound), and partly due to the osteopathic tradition. It felt warmer during the interview day as well. Sure, not that many people use OMT after they graduate, but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to learn. It is 2,000 miles from home though.

I have more history with the MD school since I attended a hospital nearby for ~18 years. The MD school will likely give me more opportunities for specialties, and even better known residencies for primary care. They apparently have a good program for underserved primary care as well. The things I'm not too fond of about the school is that it is in a hectic city, trad curriculum, and the community felt distanced.

The schools are seriously on opposite ends. And I know the distinction between MD and DOs are closing every year, so that's not too much of a factor for me. The things that may results from that difference, like residency placements are duly noted though.

Anyways, had to write something somewhere to help put my mind at ease. Hoping to get some thoughts from currently accepted students who would rather have me with them next year, and currently waitlisted students who would rather have me give up my spot.

Not trying to be a troll, I promise.

Hrmm now I'm in a predicament. About to get off a waitlist at a MD school close to home.
I've read advice for other people's situations, but mine is a little different.

I feel a stronger pull towards ATSU - some of it for being a smaller community, curriculum (systems-based, blocks, ultrasound), and partly due to the osteopathic tradition. It felt warmer during the interview day as well. Sure, not that many people use OMT after they graduate, but I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to learn. It is 2,000 miles from home though.

I have more history with the MD school since I attended a hospital nearby for ~18 years. The MD school will likely give me more opportunities for specialties, and even better known residencies for primary care. They apparently have a good program for underserved primary care as well. The things I'm not too fond of about the school is that it is in a hectic city, trad curriculum, and the community felt distanced.

The schools are seriously on opposite ends. And I know the distinction between MD and DOs are closing every year, so that's not too much of a factor for me. The things that may results from that difference, like residency placements are duly noted though.

Anyways, had to write something somewhere to help put my mind at ease. Hoping to get some thoughts from currently accepted students who would rather have me with them next year, and currently waitlisted students who would rather have me give up my spot.

Not trying to be a troll, I promise.

What's the most important thing to you?

What's the most important thing to you?

Haha. My future. That's the thing. I can't predict what'll happen either way haha. I should have mentioned I think a lot and am pretty indecisive.

Last edited:
Haha. My future. That's the thing. I can't predict what'll happen either way haha. I should have mentioned I think a lot and am pretty indecisive.

Well, I think that, like most people, you have a decision made: it's just a matter of "admitting" it to yourself.

So, what do you lean towards? Do you lean towards one but fear {insert}?

2000 miles to go to KCOM? Whew! So are you 100% sure that you will be getting of the waitlist at your home school? If so then unless your pull towards KCOM dwarfs going to your home school, I would go to your home school... But KCOM is awesome, so you should go there too. Hmm...

2000 miles to go to KCOM? Whew! So are you 100% sure that you will be getting of the waitlist at your home school? If so then unless your pull towards KCOM dwarfs going to your home school, I would go to your home school... But KCOM is awesome, so you should go there too. Hmm...

Yeah, I'm next on the waitlist. The school is actually in the neighboring state (takes a 2 hour drive). I practically grew up right next door at a orthopedic children's hospital.

You could always use my patented weighted advantage VS disadvantage rating system. I found it to be a great way to pick which school I should attend. Here is what you do, come up with a list of what you deem to be important in a medical school. The more things you come up with the better this will be for you. some suggestions are they typical Location, COA, Residency placements..ect. next assign how important each item is to you/your situation on a scale of 1 to 5 with five being very very important and one being it would be nice to have. Then go through each school and rate how well it fulfills each item on a scale of 1-10. Multiply the schools ability to fulfill each item by the items actual importance to you then sum up the total for each school and bam! Most points wins your attendance because it is the best option for you.

Flip a coin. You'll know what you want when its in the air.

Yeah, I'm next on the waitlist. The school is actually in the neighboring state (takes a 2 hour drive). I practically grew up right next door at a orthopedic children's hospital.

What does an orthopedic hospital have to do with anything?

Honestly, pick the school you want to go to. Theres nothing worse than "what-ifs". Personally I think kcom is way better than a good number of md schools, but i also am one that believes a md/do is of very little difference.
Between the two schools, which would fit your personality the best?

Hi everyone,

The KCOM secondary for 2012 was released today, but it only has room for 2 LORs. Did any of you have interfolio send them more? Will they take more than what you put on the secondary?