You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Back to Basics WW: A Cycling Edition - Game Thread
Started by Karabiner13
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I kinda want to run a game with plurality rules...been a while since we've had one with that...might make for some quick cycles![]()
y e s
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I predict it would either be over really quick because bandwagons would immediately close the day, or everyone would hold onto their votes foreverOh god

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Neither gave me results either. I got zero results this game. Fml.YES
I KNEW YOU WERE THE TRACKER
You sneaky minx
Also, nice job with liking literally all of my posts until I called you out for pocketing and then you stopped

What does that mean?I kinda want to run a game with plurality rules...been a while since we've had one with that...might make for some quick cycles![]()
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Once a player has a a majority of votes, lynch ends. So like, if there are 9 players, lynch ends once one wagon hits 5 votes, even if the deadline isn't for another like 10 hours.What does that mean?
Once a player has a a majority of votes, lynch ends. So like, if there are 9 players, lynch ends once one wagon hits 5 votes, even if the deadline isn't for another like 10 hours.
Also, lylo is like 10x more serious because one misvote can let the entire wolf team maj in a minute. (That is, if it's on at lylo.)
I actually wasn't intentionally pocketing you hahahaNeither gave me results either. I got zero results this game. Fml.
Also, nice job with liking literally all of my posts until I called you out for pocketing and then you stopped![]()
I was intentionally pocketing AM & cray.
I just wanted to give you more of a chance to play 😉
Edit: but then it was end game and so I had to act like you were suddenly mega suspect
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
So excitingAlso, lylo is like 10x more serious because one misvote can let the entire wolf team maj in a minute. (That is, if it's on at lylo.)
Our game? [emoji6]Once a player has a a majority of votes, lynch ends. So like, if there are 9 players, lynch ends once one wagon hits 5 votes, even if the deadline isn't for another like 10 hours.
Mods, can I be added to dead chat please?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oh we can definitely institute it for that, too. It used to be a fairly common thing a while back. It's just a bit harder on the mods because it can throw off your cycle timing. But if you're flexible, it's chill.Our game? [emoji6]
This sounds like my wolfing nightmareAlso, lylo is like 10x more serious because one misvote can let the entire wolf team maj in a minute. (That is, if it's on at lylo.)
Never should I be relied upon for quick votes
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I guess I'm running another game...
Dubz Has A Modding Addiction - WW Sign Ups
Dubz Has A Modding Addiction - WW Sign Ups
Yeah wolf chat hit page 2 or 3 within 2 hours of us getting it haha
And I did just want to publicly apologize for being particularly absent this game. I was actually genuinely more busy than I expected to be the last few days (thus the single post yesterday that Capri pointed out), between packing and moving.
Super grateful it was a quiet game so I could keep up, but also holy crap I’ve never played such a quiet game...
Also, I felt mega guilty for the Capri lynch because I think I would have even lynched myself today if I were in your guys’ shoes 😛
And I did just want to publicly apologize for being particularly absent this game. I was actually genuinely more busy than I expected to be the last few days (thus the single post yesterday that Capri pointed out), between packing and moving.
Super grateful it was a quiet game so I could keep up, but also holy crap I’ve never played such a quiet game...
Also, I felt mega guilty for the Capri lynch because I think I would have even lynched myself today if I were in your guys’ shoes 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This sounds like my wolfing nightmare
Never should I be relied upon for quick votes
lol Don't worry it's coordinated. No rapid voting happens until all wolves are available. Just have to double check that it's not mylo instead or something.
Makes it a little easier though if votes are locked too.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Locked votes is so scary lollol Don't worry it's coordinated. No rapid voting happens until all wolves are available. Just have to double check that it's not mylo instead or something.
Makes it a little easier though if votes are locked too.
You're weeeeeelcomeYeah wolf chat hit page 2 or 3 within 2 hours of us getting it haha
I tried to get out my nervous energy
Didn't entirely work
Holy crap guys, we've only had the PM for 2 hours and it's on page 2.
I can't wait to be in a wolf chat with @PippyPony and @Animal Midwife 😏
It's a good time. I am gleefully bouncing off the metaphorical walls, and AM is lamenting her fate with the on-target dry wit of a top notch british comedyI can't wait to be in a wolf chat with @PippyPony and @Animal Midwife 😏![]()
I can't wait to be in a wolf chat with @PippyPony and @Animal Midwife 😏![]()
Sure, if you're into a 80:20 ratio of me screaming about how I'm going to die and strategy, respectively.
I think anyone that has modded can confirm that AM role PMs are absolutely like thisSure, if you're into a 80:20 ratio of me screaming about how I'm going to die and strategy, respectively.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
AM role PMs are among my favorites 😍I think anyone that has modded can confirm that AM role PMs are absolutely like this
Agreed!!AM role PMs are among my favorites 😍
Okay but like what is MyLo and how is it different from lylolol Don't worry it's coordinated. No rapid voting happens until all wolves are available. Just have to double check that it's not mylo instead or something.
Makes it a little easier though if votes are locked too.
Ahhh thanks for the game mods!! It was super fun to play again, and I’m really proud that I did NOT self combust as a wolf this time!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Genny and sporty were driving me bonkers the last day. I really wanted to lynch both of them so badly!
Okay but like what is MyLo and how is it different from lylo
MyLo is Mislynch or Lose and is technically what happened yesterday. (Which is why there was a night cycle instead of the game ending instantly.) During mylo you traditionally can choose to No Lynch and gain and extra cycle of evaluation to go into lylo. That's near non-existence on SDN though so it's not really that different that lylo mechanically.
Ways it can be used outside of No Lynch to enter lylo include there being a PR to protect/block against a kill, wolves not submitting a kill (lol who does that), a wolf and a villager dying in a tie, using lynch avoidance abilities, or wolf being killed at night. So mostly, just relying on a successful PR usage which is often hit-and-miss (or just non-existent) at that point in the game anyway. And that's why it's rarely announced.
Hey @johnnaboo , you said you tracked me twice -- who did you track and which nights?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ah ok, cool.I said this in spec chat. Or dead chat. One of those. But in a more typical setup I would likely have put this game at 3 wolves (and I think kara would agree) to keep it between a 1:4 and 1:5 ratio. Was interesting to see how a game with a MU setup would run here though. Theoretically an open setup, basic game would be more difficult for wolves...except that when it seems a majority of the village was very busy, and the most active player was a wolf, well...they don't necessarily need complicated mechanics to hide behind in that scenario. Hard for village to win relatively inactive games.
In case anyone was curious, we did one of the Matrix 12 setups, RNG chose D
View attachment 238777
Yeah, I think I would have put this at 3 wolves and maybe nerfed the ninja wolf somehow. Tough to have an untrackable wolf, and 4 wolves was a very big wolf pack for a game this size.
On the inactivity -- I am probably in the minority here, but I also find it very difficult to WOLF when there is low activity. I prefer to operate by spinning things around on villagers, but in order for me to do that, the village has to be around & saying stuff.
Was also very concerned that people would realize we were yet again lynching a villager because the last day was so inactive.
Wolves would have been around to defend their own, given that it was lylo.
And @Animal Midwife -- I actually did think you were joking about lynching the lurkers at the beginning lol
I think it leads to villager lynches more often than it leads to wolf lynches
Was also very concerned that people would realize we were yet again lynching a villager because the last day was so inactive.
Wolves would have been around to defend their own, given that it was lylo.
And @Animal Midwife -- I actually did think you were joking about lynching the lurkers at the beginning lol
I think it leads to villager lynches more often than it leads to wolf lynches
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Yup. We chose to make no alterations to the setup, just to see how it would run. But yeah, a ninja basically negates your tracker, so becomes probably the most important wolf to kill.Ah ok, cool.
Yeah, I think I would have put this at 3 wolves and maybe nerfed the ninja wolf somehow. Tough to have an untrackable wolf, and 4 wolves was a very big wolf pack for a game this size.
MU (and mafiascum too i think) tend to run their games closer to 1:3 pretty much always. Almost all their basic setups are between 20 and 25% wolves.
For anyone who is curious, I did the kills every night to avoid the tracking, except for N2 when we used genny's 1x strongman to kill bryndi.
Mods -- would the kill have been stopped on bryndi if we had another wolf do the kill?
I don't generally think of bodyguards as being able to protect themselves, but otherwise the only use case I could see for the strongman kill is if the tracker role revealed and we wanted to get past the bodyguard.
Mods -- would the kill have been stopped on bryndi if we had another wolf do the kill?
I don't generally think of bodyguards as being able to protect themselves, but otherwise the only use case I could see for the strongman kill is if the tracker role revealed and we wanted to get past the bodyguard.
Somewhere along the way I started thinking that AM thought Capri was the ninja wolf, hence the repeated votesYup. We chose to make no alterations to the setup, just to see how it would run. But yeah, a ninja basically negates your tracker, so becomes probably the most important wolf to kill.
Interesting, I bet that leads to a lot more bus strategies.MU (and mafiascum too i think) tend to run their games closer to 1:3 pretty much always. Almost all their basic setups are between 20 and 25% wolves.
Do you think that is that because people are not as familiar with the other players? More familiar?
Oh, going back to this set up -- I think this could have been better balanced by having a village blocker instead of a bodyguard.
We actually thought for a while on D1 that we were dealing with a block, before genny pointed out I read the intro post wrong haha
But blocker would have made it more difficult to have me do the kills every night, and so may have forced us to think more strategically about who should do the kills on which night.
Also would have made PR hunting a much higher priority; as it was, I only called Bryndi (probably would have killed her N2 even if she had not revealed) and I was kind of loosely looking for the masons without much success.
We actually thought for a while on D1 that we were dealing with a block, before genny pointed out I read the intro post wrong haha
But blocker would have made it more difficult to have me do the kills every night, and so may have forced us to think more strategically about who should do the kills on which night.
Also would have made PR hunting a much higher priority; as it was, I only called Bryndi (probably would have killed her N2 even if she had not revealed) and I was kind of loosely looking for the masons without much success.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'm not sure, the games are so ridiculously active on MU that I haven't managed to read through even one, let alone enough to get an idea of the player culture. Haven't ever played over there either.Interesting, I bet that leads to a lot more bus strategies.
Do you think that is that because people are not as familiar with the other players? More familiar?
Maybe @Animal Midwife has a better idea?
On the inactivity -- I am probably in the minority here, but I also find it very difficult to WOLF when there is low activity. I prefer to operate by spinning things around on villagers, but in order for me to do that, the village has to be around & saying stuff.
Was also very concerned that people would realize we were yet again lynching a villager because the last day was so inactive.
Wolves would have been around to defend their own, given that it was lylo.
And @Animal Midwife -- I actually did think you were joking about lynching the lurkers at the beginning lol
I think it leads to villager lynches more often than it leads to wolf lynches
Contrary to popular belief, I do get stuck on ideas that have been refuted to lynch mainly villagers. I generally need tobe reminded every game that it's a fallacy otherwise I tunnel.
I was also hoping my meme would cause rage and spur discussion, but it was too late at that point, I guess.
Definitely agree on the low posting and wolfing though, it only makes me want to hide with the village and never post.
I'm not sure, the games are so ridiculously active on MU that I haven't managed to read through even one, let alone enough to get an idea of the player culture. Haven't ever played over there either.
Maybe @Animal Midwife has a better idea?
Balancing-wise, I have no idea. But if it gives an idea of posting/analyzing content there versus here, I'm considered a low-poster. I weirdly found this game very balanced? The roles canceling each other out made it very vanilla-ish. Definitely more designed for heavily analysis rather than getting lucky with a result. Perhaps, dyachei would actually know how to adjust the ratios because she mods a lot there.
MafiaScum setups may align more with the type of posting that's here though as much as I enjoy the MU ones. Not sure if this actually answered the question or not, but that's my two cents.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Yeah looking through the matrix more closely, I'm not too much a fan of the balance in general. At least in my opinion it favors woofs, but I also think they go for a more 50/50 balance whereas I tend to want things to be more difficult for the wolves. It was used for the season 3 championship games so theoretically balanced decently but there may have been more restrictions on the roles that we didn't know about (for instance I definitely would have put restrictions on the ninja)Oh, going back to this set up -- I think this could have been better balanced by having a village blocker instead of a bodyguard.
We actually thought for a while on D1 that we were dealing with a block, before genny pointed out I read the intro post wrong haha
But blocker would have made it more difficult to have me do the kills every night, and so may have forced us to think more strategically about who should do the kills on which night.
Also would have made PR hunting a much higher priority; as it was, I only called Bryndi (probably would have killed her N2 even if she had not revealed) and I was kind of loosely looking for the masons without much success.
Slightly related, but I see @Crayola227 has just joined MU, so our representation pool has upgrade from tiny to small!
Yeah looking through the matrix more closely, I'm not too much a fan of the balance in general. At least in my opinion it favors woofs, but I also think they go for a more 50/50 balance whereas I tend to want things to be more difficult for the wolves. It was used for the season 3 championship games so theoretically balanced decently but there may have been more restrictions on the roles that we didn't know about (for instance I definitely would have put restrictions on the ninja)
Yeah, that was specifically made to be a tougher version of this MS setup because it was a Champs game. Maybe that would work better for us?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Same thoughGenny and sporty were driving me bonkers the last day. I really wanted to lynch both of them so badly!
I kinda want to run a game with plurality rules...been a while since we've had one with that...might make for some quick cycles![]()
I contemplated that for this game but the biggest complaint that happens when we try plurality over here is those that work and can't get on until the evening not being able to vote because if they vote too early they might cause plurality and then by the time they can get on, lynch is closed because of plurality. That and as Dubz knows, even modding I wasn't around enough that I would have been able to close once plurality hit
Yup. We chose to make no alterations to the setup, just to see how it would run. But yeah, a ninja basically negates your tracker, so becomes probably the most important wolf to kill.
MU (and mafiascum too i think) tend to run their games closer to 1:3 pretty much always. Almost all their basic setups are between 20 and 25% wolves.
It was me being lazy and not wanting to figure out my own set-up. Definitely wanted to adjust this set-up but decided to see how it went. Definitely good starting point for future games as long as I tinker with the set-up
Balancing-wise, I have no idea. But if it gives an idea of posting/analyzing content there versus here, I'm considered a low-poster. I weirdly found this game very balanced? The roles canceling each other out made it very vanilla-ish. Definitely more designed for heavily analysis rather than getting lucky with a result. Perhaps, dyachei would actually know how to adjust the ratios because she mods a lot there.
MafiaScum setups may align more with the type of posting that's here though as much as I enjoy the MU ones. Not sure if this actually answered the question or not, but that's my two cents.
I can see the roles balancing each other out but my only problem with the tracker/ninja was it essentially gave the tracker a role with no purpose. I hate making roles that have no purpose just to make roles. But RNG said D and I just wanted a quick set-up without too much messing around so here we were
Thanks for playing all! Now you've heard about Pelotonia and got to here me reminisce a little about the 2 times I've rode. Seriously considering training this next year so I can finally ride the 100 miles. It happens the 1st weekend of August every year. Didn't think I'd have the time off or the time to train with moving and starting a new job. Managed to have that whole weekend off (including Fri) which I thought was a funny coincidence considering I didn't ride this year. Anyone has recommendations for inexpensive yet good indoor trainer, let me know 🙂
I will be running more basics games with open or semi-open set-ups. Hope we can get more discussion, post analysis, and vote analysis going. And my version of basics just means it forces you to consider posts and votes rather than mechanics. It doesn't necessarily mean the roles will be basic
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I'm probably insane to attempt it but we'll see how it goooooesI contemplated that for this game but the biggest complaint that happens when we try plurality over here is those that work and can't get on until the evening not being able to vote because if they vote too early they might cause plurality and then by the time they can get on, lynch is closed because of plurality. That and as Dubz knows, even modding I wasn't around enough that I would have been able to close once plurality hit
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
At this point I'm just doing things to see what happens. Small games are good for experimenting!
Pippy-genny-Sporty wolf combination is seriously deadly. Combining this with good power wolfing effectively seals a well-deserved wolf win. Congrats!
Another game, another power wolfing and another reason to become active and start power villaging![]()
Huh. Surprised genny and pippy were wolves. That never happens. They are strict always-village kids.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 7K
- Views
- 122K
- Replies
- 6K
- Views
- 188K