California DO's out of reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RabbiRage

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been reading these forums for years, but this is my first post. I took the MCAT in January on the very last test date for the old format. Scored a very disappointing 26. I live in california and would love to stay here. Do I have any chance of getting into either DO school here (Western/Touro)? Should I even bother applying to any MD schools anywhere in the state or even out of state?

MCAT: 26 (8 bio, 8 phys, 10 verb)
Science GPA: 3.85
Clinical Hours: 250
Shadow Hours: 80
Research: None

I'd love to avoid retaking the MCAT as I would have to start from scratch with the new format and all.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not apply to MD schools with a 26, but you should have a shot at western; their average MCAT is 28. There's also ATSU-SOMA and TouroNV, which are both one state over and match grads into California pretty often.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation to you after receiving my first set of MCAT scores. I scored a 25 (9/7/9), which crushed my chances at most medical schools. Like you, I had a good GPA (both cumulative and science) and I had plenty of extracurricular experiences. I ended up taking a prep course and raised my MCAT score by 5 points. The only issue for you is that you'd have to take the new MCAT like you said. You could try to apply to the newer DO schools that have lower average MCAT scores. Good luck OP.

My friend, you are going to have a tougher time than you expect. I don't think youre competitive at Touro or Western. I dont think youre competitive at any MD school in the US. Your best shot is at one of the new DO schools.

Reason: Your MCAT is unimpressive but you also have poor ECs. Most of the applicants with low MCATs are nontrad or have something unique in their app in order to be admitted. I do not see that here.

Hey guys. I've been reading these forums for years, but this is my first post. I took the MCAT in January on the very last test date for the old format. Scored a very disappointing 26. I live in california and would love to stay here. Do I have any chance of getting into either DO school here (Western/Touro)? Should I even bother applying to any MD schools anywhere in the state or even out of state?

MCAT: 26 (8 bio, 8 phys, 10 verb)
Science GPA: 3.85
Clinical Hours: 250
Shadow Hours: 80
Research: None

I'd love to avoid retaking the MCAT as I would have to start from scratch with the new format and all.

Thanks for the help!

Re-take the MCAT and get a 30+ (or whatever the equivalent is now). That will give you a good chance at an MD school.

I interviewed at both touro and western. I think you've got a better chance at western; Ive seen several posters on here with scores like yours that were accepted to western....less so at touro.

I'll be attending touro in the fall, and imo, it's a solid school. Retake the mcat to have a legit shot there.

As an FYI I applied to a lot of mid tier md schools instate and out, and got zero love. I'm also a non trad with a great story and 30 mcat...so take that for what it''s worth

If someone had a 3.2 with a MCAT 26-28, would they fare with Western?

I used to ask these same questions when I was applying last year. All I can tell you is, nothing in this process makes sense.

I got denied for even an interview at all the new schools and my back ups...not a single interview from any of them.

On the flip side I got ii from almost all of the high stat schools I applied to. It just doesn't make sense. I think a 28 is a big step up from a 26, but ultimately I was often getting passed over by people with 24 and 25 at some lower schools. This also happened at western. I have a 30, 3.7 sgpa, 3.4 cgpa, 3.9 post bacc, and I write very well so I know my secondaries and ps were on point. See what I mean? Nothing makes sense.

Bottom line...just apply with the best possible application and anything can happen.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to ask these same questions when I was applying last year. All I can tell you is, nothing in this process makes sense.

I got denied for even an interview at all the new schools and my back ups...not a single interview from any of them.

On the flip side I got ii from almost all of the high stat schools I applied to. It just doesn't make sense. I think a 28 is a big step up from a 26, but ultimately I was often getting passed over by people with 24 and 25 at some lower schools. This also happened at western. I have a 30, 3.7 sgpa, 3.4 cgpa, 3.9 post bacc, and I write very well so I know my secondaries and ps were on point. See what I mean? Nothing makes sense.

Bottom line...just apply with the best possible application and anything can happen.
When were you verified and when did you submit?

Also did you ever get off westerns waitlist dude?

My friend, you are going to have a tougher time than you expect. I don't think youre competitive at Touro or Western. I dont think youre competitive at any MD school in the US. Your best shot is at one of the new DO schools.

Reason: Your MCAT is unimpressive but you also have poor ECs. Most of the applicants with low MCATs are nontrad or have something unique in their app in order to be admitted. I do not see that here.

I am a non-trad. I'm 36 and have overcome a severe illness to get to where I am now. What EC's do you propose I enhance? I talked to the Western admissions office and they told me research experience is not that important to them.

I'm confused...you've written that your stats last year were: 3.5sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post-bacc, non-trad, great ec's. 30 MCAT for DO.

How were you able to increase your GPA significantly like that? Was this stat for AACOMAS?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-having-just-received-my-mcat-score.1087717/

You also mentioned you did a lot of grade replacements. That may be considered a red flag for some schools. I can understand why you feel like there's a lot of discrepancy here. Some DO schools MAY frown upon many grade replacements, while others can forgive them.

For MD, your stats were 3.05cgpa/3.1sgpa/3.9 postbacc/30mcat. That's a pretty significant difference between AMCAS and AACOMAS.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/non-trad-w-3-05cgpa-3-1sgpa-3-9-postbacc-30mcat.1093420/

Last edited:
I'm confused...you've written that your stats last year were: 3.5sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post-bacc, non-trad, great ec's. 30 MCAT for DO.

How were you able to increase your GPA significantly like that? Was this stat for AACOMAS?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-having-just-received-my-mcat-score.1087717/

You also mentioned you did a lot of grade replacements. That may be considered a red flag for some schools. I can understand why you feel like there's a lot of discrepancy here. Some DO schools MAY frown upon many grade replacements, while others can forgive them.

For MD, your stats were 3.05cgpa/3.1sgpa/3.9 postbacc/30mcat. That's a pretty significant difference between AMCAS and AACOMAS.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/non-trad-w-3-05cgpa-3-1sgpa-3-9-postbacc-30mcat.1093420/

Perhaps some do schools consider grade replacement a red flag, although I'd be a little surprised.

As far as the actual gpa numbers, yes I fudge those slightly here or there for anonymity purposes...tho my gpa did go up bc I took two classes last fall..the mcat is exact however. Same goes for md stats. That said they're all quite close to what I've stated.

Perhaps some do schools consider grade replacement a red flag, although I'd be a little surprised.

As far as the actual gpa numbers, yes I fudge those slightly here or there for anonymity purposes...tho my gpa did go up bc I took two classes last fall..the mcat is exact however. Same goes for md stats. That said they're all quite close to what I've stated.

Well, I would like to reiterate that almost all DO schools would not care about grade replacement.