Cincy vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Human

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I've interviewed at Cincy and SLU, and I'm torn about which school to choose if I get accepted to both. Both had very similar Step 1 scores.

Cincy:
-Would be cheaper, even OOS
-Has nicer facilities
-Seemingly more abroad and research opportunities

SLU:
-Less time spent in class
-LOTS of emphasis on student wellness/happiness; the students seemed extremely happy there

So all signs point to Cincy except the biggest factor for me, which is overall happiness. I just didn't hear much during my interview day about how Cincy takes care of its students like SLU does (replacing every other Wednesday class day with a self-enriching elective, etc.). If you can share your perspective on either of these schools, it would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDNers,

I've interviewed at Cincy and SLU, and I'm torn about which school to choose if I get accepted to both. Both had very similar Step 1 scores.

Cincy:
-Has nicer facilities

SLU:
-LOTS of emphasis on student wellness/happiness; the students seemed extremely happy there

So all signs point to Cincy except the biggest factor for me, which is overall happiness. I just didn't hear much during my interview day about how Cincy takes care of its students like SLU does (replacing every other Wednesday class day with a self-enriching elective, etc.). If you can share your perspective on either of these schools, it would be appreciated!

I'd vote Cincy hands down. A friend is there and likes it. SLU is very big on the whole making students happy thing but honestly I think that's sort of a gimmick.... Also, replacing one class a week is a joke. When you have classes is irrelevant as you're learning the material on your own anyway and everything is recorded. (If it's not at a school or more than maybe 10% of lectures are mandatory DO NOT go there.)

I'd vote Cincy hands down. A friend is there and likes it. SLU is very big on the whole making students happy thing but honestly I think that's sort of a gimmick.... Also, replacing one class a week is a joke. When you have classes is irrelevant as you're learning the material on your own anyway and everything is recorded. (If it's not at a school or more than maybe 10% of lectures are mandatory DO NOT go there.)

Why not wait and see where you're accepted. Not much point in picking one out now over the other school. What if you're only accepted to the "other school"? You might be disappointed if you've already convinced yourself that the rejected school is "better".

What about other schools that you applied to?

What's the difference between SLU and Cincy OOS. SLU's tuition is "lowish" for a private.

I just looked, the tuition is about the same.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not wait and see where you're accepted. Not much point in picking one out now over the other school. What if you're only accepted to the "other school"? You might be disappointed if you've already convinced yourself that the rejected school is "better".

What's the difference between SLU and Cincy OOS. SLU's tuition is "lowish" for a private.

Pretty sure IS at Cincinnati is much lower. And everyone can get it for M2 and beyond.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I have a lot of friends that go to SLU and the student wellness thing is certainly not a gimmick.

Hi SDNers,

Cincy:
-Has nicer facilities

SLU:

I would pick SLU only because it's close to friends/family. I interviewed at Cincinnati (not at SLU, but I pretty much know what it's like there) and if I didn't have personal attachment to Stl I would go to Cincinnati.

Pretty sure IS at Cincinnati is much lower. And everyone can get it for M2 and beyond.

the OP's first post suggests that he's OOS. Why do you think that everyone can instate for m2 and beyond?

I have a lot of friends that go to SLU and the student wellness thing is certainly not a gimmick.

I got this feeling when I was there, too. They gave us a lot of data on how much their students' anxiety/depression symptoms have dropped in the last few years. They went from a 30+% depression rate (similar to nat'l average for med students) to 11% most recently. Pretty impressive, as long as the students were honest in the surveys they used.

The perks of going to school in Ohio.

According to that link, the student has to demonstrate that he's received no support from non-residents.

Does that include things like being on one's parents': health insurance plan, car insurance plan, cell phone plan, etc?

According to that link, the student has to demonstrate that he's received no support from non-residents.

Does that include things like being on one's parents': health insurance plan, car insurance plan, cell phone plan, etc?

Dude... you are looking way too much in to it.
1. move in 1~2 months early...
2. Live off of FA or your own savings or your own income... hell even ur spouses income if res of Ohio...
3. complete at least 2 of the bullet points
4. apply during summer after M1 for M2 and beyond.
5 ...
6 profit (not really.. you're still getting raped... just with some lube)

Hi SDNers,

Cincy:
-Has nicer facilities

SLU:

I am a current SLU student and can assure you that student wellness is not a "gimmick." We are all very happy here and also do well on board exams and in the match. (I think the average Step 1 score this past summer was 231.) We do have very nice facilities now, with the recent opening of the new Education Union. And we have plenty of research opportunities in the new Doisy Research Building (as well as a stipend through the Summer Research Fellowship).

With all of that said, I don't know very much about Cincy. I can't compare costs, but I can say that SLU was $47,400 in tuition this year and grows 2% every single year. About 500 of out 700 students receive the $5,000 scholarship so most likely, the tuition will be $42,400 + 2% of that for most people next year. It's not cheap and there are a lot of things to consider when making this decision (cost, fit, proximity to family, etc), but I hope all of that info helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude... you are looking way too much in to it.
1. move in 1~2 months early...
2. Live off of FA or your own savings or your own income... hell even ur spouses income if res of Ohio...
3. complete at least 2 of the bullet points
4. apply during summer after M1 for M2 and beyond.
5 ...
6 profit (not really.. you're still getting raped... just with some lube)

Not really. Your link says that you have to show evidence. That suggests (to me) that they know enough to ask for evidence of a few key things that a student typically is still linked to his parents...health insurance, car insurance and cell phone bill.

Of course, a student could get those things on his own, but then the "benefit" of instate rates starts dwindling as the student takes on his own cell phone plan, his own car insurance, and his own health insurance. Granted, he'd still likely to come out ahead, it's just a consideration.

And we have plenty of research opportunities in the new Doisy Research Building (as well as a stipend through the Summer Research Fellowship).

Can you tell us more about this? Thanks.

Not really. Your link says that you have to show evidence. That suggests (to me) that they know enough to ask for evidence of a few key things that a student typically is still linked to his parents...health insurance, car insurance and cell phone bill.

Of course, a student could get those things on his own, but then the "benefit" of instate rates starts dwindling as the student takes on his own cell phone plan, his own car insurance, and his own health insurance. Granted, he'd still likely to come out ahead, it's just a consideration.

No.. their going to ask you for rent/copy of your lease and utilities. I can see you haven't had to do this before.. which is not a bad thing at all.

Edit: As I should add something for the OP. As someone else already mentioned... do not even bother thinking about this until you are accepted at both schools.

Can you tell us more about this? Thanks.

In the course catalog, there are some options for research that are already specifically setup. Just a quick look shows research in fields such as biomedical, anatomy, primary care - family med, molecular bio, OB-GYN, cardio and microsurgery. Otherwise, you can just email research faculty and they usually have something available. I never had a problem finding something. Also, they take about 30 students for the Summer Research Fellowship, which pays students $3500 to do research during the summer between 1st and 2nd year.

the OP's first post suggests that he's OOS. Why do you think that everyone can instate for m2 and beyond?

Because I interviewed at Cinci (and another public school in Ohio) and that's what both FA told interviewers. It's easy to get IS in Ohio.. like, so easy that as long as you get your paperwork in on time and follow all the directions you're guaranteed to get IS tuition for M2-M4. It's definitely one of the perks of going to a public Ohio school.

I got this feeling when I was there, too. They gave us a lot of data on how much their students' anxiety/depression symptoms have dropped in the last few years. They went from a 30+% depression rate (similar to nat'l average for med students) to 11% most recently. Pretty impressive, as long as the students were honest in the surveys they used.

Yea, I've known a lot of the current M3s since (or before) they were M1s and many of them have said that SLU has really helped them with anxiety/stress of med school. I think the fact that they have a Jesuit on campus everyday with an open door really helps people in terms of having someone to talk to.

I am a current SLU student and can assure you that student wellness is not a "gimmick." We are all very happy here and also do well on board exams and in the match. (I think the average Step 1 score this past summer was 231.) We do have very nice facilities now, with the recent opening of the new Education Union. And we have plenty of research opportunities in the new Doisy Research Building (as well as a stipend through the Summer Research Fellowship).

With all of that said, I don't know very much about Cincy. I can't compare costs, but I can say that SLU was $47,400 in tuition this year and grows 2% every single year. About 500 of out 700 students receive the $5,000 scholarship so most likely, the tuition will be $42,400 + 2% of that for most people next year. It's not cheap and there are a lot of things to consider when making this decision (cost, fit, proximity to family, etc), but I hope all of that info helps.

To be fair, Cinci probably has better research opportunities than SLUSOM, but I agree that SLUSOM probably has more than enough for the average med student.

Yea, I've known a lot of the current M3s since (or before) they were M1s and many of them have said that SLU has really helped them with anxiety/stress of med school. I think the fact that they have a Jesuit on campus everyday with an open door really helps people in terms of having someone to talk to.

I've never talked to the "Jesuit" on campus before but definitely agree that SLU is great with keeping everyone happy/sane (for other reasons such as curriculum setup, grading, elective time, etc).

To be fair, Cinci probably has better research opportunities than SLUSOM

I have no idea about Cincy's research opportunities, but I'll take your word for it.

I agree that SLUSOM probably has more than enough for the average med student.

Yes, that was my main point. There's enough to go around, so I probably wouldn't choose one school over the other based on research opportunities.

This is a good point. I only glanced at the post and made the assumption OP had been accepted to both. If you're still waiting, you're putting the cart before the horse here, dude. Get back in line and wait!

The thing is that MOST schools have programs along these lines. I'm not say it's not worthwhile; just that SLU's additions are probably less valuable than you think. We have team-building exercises early on, an ongoing regular non-academic group mentorship meeting with a faculty member, strong representation on faculty committees, etc. Those sorts of things exist at most every school.

The thing is that MOST schools have programs along these lines. I'm not say it's not worthwhile; just that SLU's additions are probably less valuable than you think. We have team-building exercises early on, an ongoing regular non-academic group mentorship meeting with a faculty member, strong representation on faculty committees, etc. Those sorts of things exist at most every school.

In addition to those sorts of things, SLU has other systems/programs in place to maintain student happiness. More importantly, the national average for med student depression is about 25-30% whereas it's about 11% at SLU. Clearly SLU is doing something better than most other schools.

Last edited:
I've never talked to the "Jesuit" on campus before but definitely agree that SLU is great with keeping everyone happy/sane (for other reasons such as curriculum setup, grading, elective time, etc).

I have no idea about Cincy's research opportunities, but I'll take your word for it.

Yes, that was my main point. There's enough to go around, so I probably wouldn't choose one school over the other based on research opportunities.

You've never talked to Father Baker? His office is right outside the library!

The programs probably do exist at every school, but the quality at SLU is higher than at other schools as evidenced by the 33%/11% statistic, and also by the fact that SLU (unlike other schools) makes it a point of emphasis. Just my opinion though.

[youtube]R5RapBjos3I[/youtube]

:thumbup:

The programs probably do exist at every school, but the quality at SLU is higher than at other schools as evidenced by the 33%/11% statistic, and also by the fact that SLU (unlike other schools) makes it a point of emphasis. Just my opinion though.

I find that strippers help with my personal wellness. I'm pretty sure the quality in STL is lacking.

Los Angeles on the other hand... :naughty:

I find that strippers help with my personal wellness. I'm pretty sure the quality in STL is lacking.

Los Angeles on the other hand... :naughty:

Never been to a strip club, but I have heard the ones here in STL are terrible.

With that said, I don't know how many med students will be going to strip clubs during/after they take Micro :)

SLU is a solid school, as evidenced by the results mentioned already. St. Louis and Cinci are ultimately quite similar towns (I have been in both). In the end, I don't believe either school would be the inhibiting factor in getting residency interviews as the end result is quite up to you. I have been very happy with my time at SLU and am now interviewing at the top schools for my speciality. I don't know that a place can do much more for you than that, but obviously that success is because I was happy with the opportunities afforded to me. The people in this thread cannot compare the schools for you because they simply haven't attended both. Ultimately the choice depends on where you will be happiest.

I'm guessing that they mean that on a daily basis, SLU has a Jesuit priest in an office (maybe a chaplain's office) where students can go anytime to talk about whatever is bothering them.

SLU is a solid school, as evidenced by the results mentioned already. St. Louis and Cinci are ultimately quite similar towns (I have been in both). In the end, I don't believe either school would be the inhibiting factor in getting residency interviews as the end result is quite up to you. I have been very happy with my time at SLU and am now interviewing at the top schools for my speciality. I don't know that a place can do much more for you than that, but obviously that success is because I was happy with the opportunities afforded to me. The people in this thread cannot compare the schools for you because they simply haven't attended both. Ultimately the choice depends on where you will be happiest.

Cinci also felt more like a college town (I was only there for my interview), while I don't think anyone would ever say that STL is anything close to a college town. I prefer STL, but if being around lots of kids (undergrads) is your thing, Cinci has SLU beat by a mile.

I'm guessing that they mean that on a daily basis, SLU has a Jesuit priest in an office (maybe a chaplain's office) where students can go anytime to talk about whatever is bothering them.

I understand, but I'm saying that, for me, having a priest on campus does nothing for my level of happiness. Although I can see how it might help some students. We also have a (non-priest) counselor that the deans specifically tell us to talk to if we're feeling depressed, etc.

Cinci also felt more like a college town (I was only there for my interview), while I don't think anyone would ever say that STL is anything close to a college town. I prefer STL, but if being around lots of kids (undergrads) is your thing, Cinci has SLU beat by a mile.

Both undergrads are just down the street from the medical campuses, but Cincy definitely has a bigger population of undergrads (24k vs 8k). I don't have any personal experience with Cincy's undergrad campus, but I do visit SLU's for the gym and bars on campus. But if your thing is "being around lots of undergrads," I've got 2 words for you: jail bait.

But if your thing is "being around lots of undergrads," I've got 2 words for you: jail bait.

Aren't undergrads 18+? 100% legal baby. Just avoid those stage 5 clingers.

Sent from mobile

Sent from mobile

Yeah, but when you start to get into your mid-20's and they're just 18...it might not be illegal, but the thought of it feels so wrong.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that CinciSOM has its own gym, SLUSOM does not. Also, the library at CinciSOM is a lot nicer/bigger than the SLUSOM library, but I studied for my MCAT at SLUSOM and I didn't have any problems with it. Cinci overall has nicer facilities than SLU, but I think SLU's environment is more conducive to doing well in school. At least for me.

Sent from mobile

If that's your sort of thing, go to Cinci. More opportunities.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that CinciSOM has its own gym, SLUSOM does not. Also, the library at CinciSOM is a lot nicer/bigger than the SLUSOM library, but I studied for my MCAT at SLUSOM and I didn't have any problems with it. Cinci overall has nicer facilities than SLU, but I think SLU's environment is more conducive to doing well in school. At least for me.

I don't know if having your own gym it that much of a plus. If you want to participate in a pick up basketball game or whatever, it seems like it would be easier to find other players with a larger student body.

Yeah, but when you start to get into your mid-20's and they're just 18...it might not be illegal, but the thought of it feels so wrong.
images

I don't know if having your own gym it that much of a plus. If you want to participate in a pick up basketball game or whatever, it seems like it would be easier to find other players with a larger student body.

Ok, so let's assume CinciSOM doesn't have enough of a student body for a pickup basketball game (I don't think they even have a court on the med campus). If a CinciSOM student wants a pickup game, they'll have to travel down the street to the Cinci UG gym. The SLUSOM student would have to do the same.

However, if a SLUSOM student wants to study at the SLUSOM library and also get in a quick workout, they'll have to go to the SLU UG gym, the CinciSOM student wouldn't.

In other words, on-campus gym is more convenient and it's also likely less congested/busy (no competing for machines/free weights).

Ok, so let's assume CinciSOM doesn't have enough of a student body for a pickup basketball game (I don't think they even have a court on the med campus). If a CinciSOM student wants a pickup game, they'll have to travel down the street to the Cinci UG gym. The SLUSOM student would have to do the same.

However, if a SLUSOM student wants to study at the SLUSOM library and also get in a quick workout, they'll have to go to the SLU UG gym, the CinciSOM student wouldn't.

In other words, on-campus gym is more convenient and it's also likely less congested/busy (no competing for machines/free weights).

Doesn't SLU's medical campus have a gym (Salus)? I've never actually been inside though.
Otherwise, I agree with you. Personally, I liked Cinci's campus better when I visited.

Our gym at slu is nice but inconvieniently located. Parking is doable but a pain sometimes. No one I know uses salus bc I believe it requires an extra fee. If this is what you're basing your decision on I think you are missing the point.

Our gym at slu is nice but inconvieniently located. Parking is doable but a pain sometimes. No one I know uses salus bc I believe it requires an extra fee. If this is what you're basing your decision on I think you are missing the point.

Doesn't SLU's medical campus have a gym (Salus)? I've never actually been inside though.
Otherwise, I agree with you. Personally, I liked Cinci's campus better when I visited.

Yeah, SLU med center has a gym, but no one uses it because it's where the gym equipment from the undergrad Rec Center goes to die. The undergrad Rec Center is plenty convenient though. It's 1 mile away from the med center. And there are enough undergrads to get a pickup game going but not so many that it's impossible to use any equipment. I'd have to imagine that Cincy's gym is more crowded given the 3x undergrad population but can't say from experience. Also, after the renovations, I heard SLU's gym was ranked pretty highly recently (if that's such a thing).

Idk if there's a gym in the Salus center, but if there is, you have to walk (outside) about half a block to get to it. Cinci has a gym in the same building as library/classrooms.

Yeah, SLU med center has a gym, but no one uses it because it's where the gym equipment from the undergrad Rec Center goes to die. The undergrad Rec Center is plenty convenient though. It's 1 mile away from the med center. And there are enough undergrads to get a pickup game going but not so many that it's impossible to use any equipment. I'd have to imagine that Cincy's gym is more crowded given the 3x undergrad population but can't say from experience. Also, after the renovations, I heard SLU's gym was ranked pretty highly recently (if that's such a thing).

Yea the old gym sucked. The whole bottom floor (where all the stuff is now) is only a few years old.

the parking sucks. or at least it did when i was a 1st and 2nd year

the parking sucks. or at least it did when i was a 1st and 2nd year

At the UG gym? You can park in the garage across the street for free on weekends. During the week there is a shuttle that runs between SLU/SLUSOM too.

yeah i'm not driving from where I live to park to take a shuttle to walk to the gym to workout to walk back to wait to take a shuttle to get to my car. it's not convenient which is my point.. but that is really quite irrelevant to the SOM really

yeah i'm not driving from where I live to park to take a shuttle to walk to the gym to workout to walk back to wait to take a shuttle to get to my car. it's not convenient which is my point.. but that is really quite irrelevant to the SOM really

Yea it isn't as convenient as having one on campus, but it's relatively convenient if you are on campus for any reason. The shuttle picks up and drops off just across campus (3 minute walk) from the gym. Just saying.

just sayin i'd rather (and do) pay for a gym membership elsewhere then deal with the hassle. I am never on the undergrad campus for any other reason

I forgot to ask this at the interviews, but how far away do students usually live from both schools? Since both schools have decent climates, I might just bike to school and skip the parking hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.