Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beginning to wonder if I should just stay here for Thanksgiving break. I planned on going home and staying with family (we get 10 days off here, if you include the weekend), but my grades are still lower than I'd like them to be. I don't think I'm in danger of outright failing a class anymore so unless I just completely bomb the final exams, I should be able to continue on to next semester, but I might be close to hitting academic probation line depending on what happens in anatomy. I know deep down that staying at my apartment studying my entire break away will probably only make me feel worse, but I can't help but think that that's just what I need to do right now for the sake of my academics. But I also haven't seen my family at all since August. Ugh, decisions.

Go home, especially if it will help mentally. If you drain yourself before finals even begin, you'll just end up doing worse. Maybe consider going home for only part of it, but I really think taking part of it to relax and have a life outside of vet school is important.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My vote would be to take a break and go see your family. Really.

Time spent not studying is an investment in time spent studying. And your mental health.

You'll be able to study more effectively when your spirits have been boosted.:)

Also - you get 10 days for Thanksgiving break?? Holy cow!
Technically, our break is listed on the calendar as being from November 21-25, but if you include the weekends, it's from the evening of November 18-28, so I just call it ten days for convenience's sake. But we also haven't had any other breaks at all yet and we started in mid-August.

Thanks for the advice, @Cephal0pod and @alohacat319! I'm probably going to go home for at least a little bit, but I definitely will need to work in at least some study time (especially since I've been slacking the past couple of weeks due to a reprieve from tests, haha).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Beginning to wonder if I should just stay here for Thanksgiving break.
Maybe only go home for half of that time? Ten days is a lot of time. That way you can see your family for several days, do the holiday thing, but still get in some quality studying time?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go home, especially if it will help mentally. If you drain yourself before finals even begin, you'll just end up doing worse. Maybe consider going home for only part of it, but I really think taking part of it to relax and have a life outside of vet school is important.

Maybe only go home for half of that time? Ten days is a lot of time. That way you can see your family for several days, do the holiday thing, but still get in some quality studying time?
Haha. Derp, I guess that would be the obvious solution, wouldn't it? Didn't even cross my mind (gaaah I'm such a mess right now). That's most likely what I'll end up doing.

Thanks, guys!

Beginning to wonder if I should just stay here for Thanksgiving break. I planned on going home and staying with family (we get 10 days off here, if you include the weekend), but my grades are still lower than I'd like them to be. I don't think I'm in danger of outright failing a class anymore so unless I just completely bomb the final exams, I should be able to continue on to next semester, but I might be close to hitting academic probation line depending on what happens in anatomy. I know deep down that staying at my apartment studying my entire break away will probably only make me feel worse, but I can't help but think that that's just what I need to do right now for the sake of my academics. But I also haven't seen my family at all since August. Ugh, decisions.
Studying at home is a hard thing to do. If you're really dead set on studying over break, go home and set aside an hour or two each day to cover stuff. Go to your local library if your family is too distracting, but don't deprive yourself of the break.

I'm not sure if you think the same way I do, but when I'm performing below my own personal expectations, I tend to 'punish' myself by depriving myself of study breaks. It doesn't help you.

I think you will find that going home could potentially do wonders to your mental health. At this point you need a break and staying at school for 10 days will probably just make you more miserable.

I think everyone's suggestions are great. If you want to go there for most or all of it, do you have a study spot you like? During first year I was super stressed due to finals but I really needed to go home, so I compromised by getting up kinda early every day, and going to a coffee shop and dedicating 2-4 hours to solid studying. Then I had the rest of the day to spend time with family and friends and ended up really enjoying it, as far as study-holidays go :p.

I got to do a rabbit dissection wet lab this morning through the exotics club! I was on the waitlist for it and thought I was only going to be there for the lecture part, but I guess a couple people didn't show up, so I got a bunny. :D It was really cool, our specimens were just frozen and not preserved so it was kind of like doing a necropsy. I feel like I would have gotten more out of it if I knew how to suture at all and could practice that, but it was still neat to compare the organs to the dog. I'm glad I don't have plans the rest of the day, because I feel like I smell like death.

Reactions: 2 users
So jealous of the longer Thanksgiving breaks, we have class until noon the day before and I have a 9+ hour trip home :yeahright:
That's lame. :( We get a whole week off and I cannot wait! Also yesterday was our last test before break (it was a doozy, I don't wanna think about it anymore...), so I have the next week to kinda chill and hopefully catch up on things.

Today is the first day in vet school where I really, truly feel beaten down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today is the first day in vet school where I really, truly feel beaten down.
I would like to lie and say this will be the last..... but instead I'll say you get better at getting back up.

Reactions: 5 users
A lot of classmates are planning all of these cool things for summer, but I kind of just want to go home and work. I thought about doing at least a RAVS trip, but I can't bring myself to finish the very simple and easy application, which is a glaring sign that I don't think I want to do it this year. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by just working? I really, really need the money.

A lot of classmates are planning all of these cool things for summer, but I kind of just want to go home and work. I thought about doing at least a RAVS trip, but I can't bring myself to finish the very simple and easy application, which is a glaring sign that I don't think I want to do it this year. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by just working? I really, really need the money.
Dude. Earning money is never shooting yourself in the foot.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/as-a-first-year-how-best-do-you-spend-the-summer.1189636/

One more lab exam in anatomy, and then no tests until finals. I can't wait to nap!

Have. No. Motivation. To. Study.

Nap time instead?

Reactions: 6 users
Idk, maybe the giant con of a 7 month semester is having so much free time at the end of it that you already kind of think winter break has started.

I literally don't know how we couldn't have started in August.

I guess you didn't apply, which gives me the sads, but I definitely think you're not doing yourself a disservice by working. If our second year didn't start in mid July I'd be doing it too.

Our anatomy professor bought a bunch of Lego kits (like 50+) so we can have Lego nights throughout the semester. Our first one is tomorrow night. Not only is this the most amazing idea I have ever heard, but he is so excited about it, it is the most precious thing. Like my heart can't even hold the joy I felt when he was showing us all the stuff he had bought. This time tomorrow I'll be busy building a Lego TIE fighter :D

Reactions: 7 users
Our anatomy professor bought a bunch of Lego kits (like 50+) so we can have Lego nights throughout the semester. Our first one is tomorrow night. Not only is this the most amazing idea I have ever heard, but he is so excited about it, it is the most precious thing. Like my heart can't even hold the joy I felt when he was showing us all the stuff he had bought. This time tomorrow I'll be busy building a Lego TIE fighter :D

@Trilt she has time to play with Legos but no time to play WW? :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Trilt she has time to play with Legos but no time to play WW? :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have time to play with Legos and go see Fantastic Beasts tomorrow, but I have to make up for that by studying my butt off the rest of the week! Plus trying to catch up on my nanowrimo word count :scared:

My lab group left anatomy lab after less than 45 minutes today (it's supposed to be a 3 hour lab). :laugh: We zoomed through today's assignment and were all too tired and burnt out to review the material after that. I'll have a lot of catching up to do after Thanksgiving break, but oh well! I just have one two-hour class tomorrow afternoon, and then Saturday I'm going HOME! :biglove:

Three weeks from today and I'll be done with my first semester. How did this semester fly by so quick?

Speaking of RAVs trips, did anyone apply for the Arizona one?

Officially on break!

Bummed I'm not going home, but excited for a week off!

Almost to the end of the semester and I finally gave in and bought a coffee maker. I kept trying to tell myself I wasn't becoming dependent on caffeine, but somehow, it happened. Hoping this helps me out with studying for our neurophysio exam on Wednesday.

The hard drive on my laptop failed tonight. I lost all of my lecture notes and the flash cards I spent most of the day making. We have two online exams this week that we take in class on a secure browser and another open book, untimed exam due Wednesday morning.

This year can go get f-cked.

The hard drive on my laptop failed tonight. I lost all of my lecture notes and the flash cards I spent most of the day making. We have two online exams this week that we take in class on a secure browser and another open book, untimed exam due Wednesday morning.

Nooooooo. Ugh I am so sorry. :(

Oh no, that's awful! I can share my quizlet sets with you, although since we're in different programs, I'm not sure how useful they'd be for you :shrug: but if you want the link, let me know.

I sympathize. can't really say that vet school is the best thing that ever happened to me right now. what are the exams in? I wouldn't mind sharing my notes.

Will your IT department at the school check it out for you? Ours would often fix computers for free if possible. I know they might not be able to fix it, but they might be able to recover files for you.

I had a Galaxy Tab that crashed and burned halfway through the semester and they had no idea how to do anything with it since they were so new, but they did tell me that if I had any of the devices on or related to their approved list, they could work magic.

What computer you using? 100% sure it's a standard, older 2.5" spinning hard disc with platters and what not? It's been dispelled by many, but others say it works, and I'll just say it did work for me one time: freezer trick. Could have been 100% placebo and I could have got lucky, but I was able to get it to work long enough to recover the files I needed to a new disc.

If you have a laptop you can service yourself and just pop a new drive into, please upgrade to a solid state disk (SSD). Good ones are warrantied for many years and there's no moving parts so failure rate is a lot less. My other suggestion is to start saving your files directly to the cloud. You might have a large Google Drive or OneDrive allocation through your school, what you can do is point the programs you use to automatically save to the network drive when you hit Ctrl+S. It would be the exact same as you were doing before, except every time you save your files they're syncing to the cloud and will never be lost.

Data loss can suck it.

I made an Enya station on Pandora for studying purposes today, and holy potato, it's probably one of the best decisions I have made in my life up to this point.

Reactions: 3 users
First class of vet school is completed! Only like a billion more to go :)

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone have experience with surgery glove brands that go smaller than 5 1/2? My hands are stupid small and when we had our scrubbing/gloving lab today, I learned that a 5 1/2 is bigger than ideal for my raccoon-hands. I'm searching on Google too, but if anyone has suggestions...

Last edited:
but holy potatoes is it keeping me busy

the way you expect them potatoes

HOLY POTATOES YOU ACTUALLY DID!

And med schools don't give a potato about what you took in high school

potatoes gonna potate

Potatoes or sweet potatoes?

The univ won't give a potato about your high school transcripts

I also appreciate occasionally being told to chill the potato out about life/future vet med goals.

Holy potatoes, ya'll.

Maybe it's actually the potatoes of the original topic?

I saw this thread pop up and was all like, holy potato, already?
I made an Enya station on Pandora for studying purposes today, and holy potato, it's probably one of the best decisions I have made in my life up to this point.
I think someone might need a potato intervention. A tatervention, if you will.

Reactions: 12 users
Ceph should become a donor just to change their name to Cephal0potato

Reactions: 3 users
I think someone might need a potato intervention. A tatervention, if you will.

I found out who Ceph is!
(My kids watch Odd Squad and I have been singing this every time this topic comes up)