Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol our small animal surgery exam yesterday was definitely based on how the course was taught last year, which is not how it was taught this year.

Good thing it was open book because probably 30-35% of the material was stuff we've NEVER covered.

also am I allowed to say that I don't like multiple choice exams for things like anesthesia protocols? I'd like to be able to explain my thinking for the protocol I want to use... I've never been the biggest fan of multiple choice tbh
Our gen path exams, and usually the pathology portion of any of the systems course exams, are not multiple choice and I like it and tend to do well on it
Maybe because knowing that's the format makes me study better

But that's also a lot more grading work for, at least in our case, instructors who are also on clinics and doing research etc etc

Members don't see this ad.

Tonight's goals were to read my three articles for my wildlife diseases course and learn all about equine orthopedic radiology (quiz tomorrow).

I read 2.25 articles and did not really study. Hooray.
So the power went out while the first half of our class was in the middle of the radiology quiz this afternoon. The quiz is now a take home, due tomorrow. My wildlife diseases course was also canceled because of the power outage.

So all in all I guess I came out ahead here?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a big fan of our endocrine class. But its probably because I never had a great grasp on hormones before.

I kinda consider Stillwater and Manhattan on the same level in my head, but perhaps they really aren't - I guess Stilly really is that small.

No Target. A mall? Lol no. A ZOO? Yeah, that's laughable.

The airport has a connection to Dallas that goes in once in the AM and out once in the PM... and it's tiiiiiiny. Probably easy to get into, though. Otherwise, you drive to OKC or Tulsa.
I can park, get checked in, get through security, and be at the gate in <15 minutes. So that’s super convenient!!

I laughed at the idea of a zoo in Stillwater. :laugh:

The two zoos are both relatively close. I mean, if you are at a school in a town with a zoo, it may still be an hour away with traffic and the size of the town and stuff. So it’s not too different from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two zoos are both relatively close. I mean, if you are at a school in a town with a zoo, it may still be an hour away with traffic and the size of the town and stuff. So it’s not too different from that.
Oh for sure. I was just curious about the setup because of the residency thing. I know nothing about OK so wasn't sure how far the zoos were.
It also just occurred to me now that you mention it, that somehow I've always lived <30 minutes from a zoo haha

So I have anki, but I never got into it. Is it good? Better than Quizlet Pro?
I've never used quizlet pro so I can't really say if it's better. I personally was never a big fan of quizlet.

My favorite thing to do these days is to have an excel spreadsheet, put the learning objectives on there in question form, and then answer them during class to make the "notecards," adding in more cards as needed. It makes it easier for me to see that I've covered everything before I import into Anki.

The big benefit with anki is that it will do spaced repetition for you. If you have a method to do that on your own, then it probably doesn't matter which particular app you use. For me it's too time consuming right now to use all the other features anki has (i do like my image occlusion but it's just a little more work than i can do in class), so i'm pretty much using it as a basic notecards app at this point.

The quality of your cards, actually testing yourself, and the spaced repetition aspects are much more important than the app you use imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never used quizlet pro so I can't really say if it's better. I personally was never a big fan of quizlet.

My favorite thing to do these days is to have an excel spreadsheet, put the learning objectives on there in question form, and then answer them during class to make the "notecards," adding in more cards as needed. It makes it easier for me to see that I've covered everything before I import into Anki.

The big benefit with anki is that it will do spaced repetition for you. If you have a method to do that on your own, then it probably doesn't matter which particular app you use. For me it's too time consuming right now to use all the other features anki has (i do like my image occlusion but it's just a little more work than i can do in class), so i'm pretty much using it as a basic notecards app at this point.

The quality of your cards, actually testing yourself, and the spaced repetition aspects are much more important than the app you use imo.
ah okay! I might try that!!
The other benefit is that Anki is free. You have to pay for quizlet pro, right?
Well I have an iPad anyways, so I’ve already paid for anki mobile and I’ve already paid for quizlet pro, so I was just trying to decide which to go for lol

Used quizlet a lot last semester, but I think I’m going to stick with anki’s spaced repetition.

ah okay! I might try that!!

Well I have an iPad anyways, so I’ve already paid for anki mobile and I’ve already paid for quizlet pro, so I was just trying to decide which to go for lol

Used quizlet a lot last semester, but I think I’m going to stick with anki’s spaced repetition.
Ah I gotcha. Good luck, hope it helps!

We unofficially get our white coats this week! Official ceremony is in a month!! Being excited for this has made getting through the past few exams possible lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
We have a quiz on Monday on our research project. I'm in the leadership group for the project. I'm also home this weekend and not studying. My grade isn't going to reflect my leadership....

Spent all day yesterday at a castration clinic where we (collectively - my small group did 8 or 9) castrated somewhere north of 30 horses/donkeys in a day. It's nice to get a reminder that we're going to be doctors someday! So much fun. I'm sore and exhausted today, but it was by far one of the best weekends I've had in school. :D

Test number 6 down and now none for 10 days! Then it’s two a week until Thanksgiving, including two finals.... But that’s future me’s problem :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I have my first real surgery lab on Wednesday, I'll be neutering a 5-month-old pitbull! I've done a couple dog neuters before, but this will be my first one without a vet standing there telling me what to do every step of the way. I'm not too stressed about it, mostly I'm just dreading having to come in twice a day for the week he's here to do SOAPs. :hungover:

Reactions: 4 users
I have my first real surgery lab on Wednesday, I'll be neutering a 5-month-old pitbull! I've done a couple dog neuters before, but this will be my first one without a vet standing there telling me what to do every step of the way. I'm not too stressed about it, mostly I'm just dreading having to come in twice a day for the week he's here to do SOAPs. :hungover:
I'm so glad we don't have to do that lol

Lance is here today and tomorrow. Can't wait, based on what you've told me. :eyebrow:
He was not as overt with his misogynism (is that a word?) but it was still there. I am shocked they are still hiring that team... maybe without old-dude being so cool with the sexism the new guy will have figured out to keep his **** together...

In any case good luck!

He was not as overt with his misogynism (is that a word?) but it was still there. I am shocked they are still hiring that team... maybe without old-dude being so cool with the sexism the new guy will have figured out to keep his **** together...

In any case good luck!

Not too bad so far, but we're only an hour in.

Fall break (and helping with interview days, squeee!), and then next week is terrible. Repro exam, back to back radiology quizzes, then cardio exam. I also have a paper due. Idk man, I'm a little worried I might die.

You got this zoo!

I just packed my surgery pack for my live surgery, and I'm nervous to be going first in my group for my first big animal surgery. Only done mice up to now.

Reactions: 2 users
You got this zoo!

I just packed my surgery pack for my live surgery, and I'm nervous to be going first in my group for my first big animal surgery. Only done mice up to now.
Hey thanks teep, and same to you :D
Surgery is fun (imo) and you'll do great! What kind of surgery have you done on mice??

Last edited:
Hey thanks teep, and same to you :D
Surgery is fun (imo) and you'll do great! What kind of surgery have you done on mice??
I've done a few mice neuters and some subdermal hormone implants .

In any case good luck!

Actually, gotta say after the first day, I'm pleasantly surprised. I got a lot out of yesterday and found him very engaging. No overt sexism.

MUCH better than the last guy who was clearly trying to sell us on the idea that his way was the only way (and got snippy at my class for "not engaging with him" during his 8am monologue).

Actually, gotta say after the first day, I'm pleasantly surprised. I got a lot out of yesterday and found him very engaging. No overt sexism.

MUCH better than the last guy who was clearly trying to sell us on the idea that his way was the only way (and got snippy at my class for "not engaging with him" during his 8am monologue).
It must have been the proximity to the old guy that made him act stupid. Glad he's more aware/professional nowadays!

Hell week approaches

T: repro exam, radiology quiz
W: radiology quiz, wildlife policy paper due, surgery op report due
F: cardio exam

Meanwhile, classes all day erryday.

I think I might survive but if you guys see me around here just tell me to get the hell out, ok?

Reactions: 1 users
Hell week approaches

I think I might survive but if you guys see me around here just tell me to get the hell out, ok?

Hell week approaches

Double posted so you must be serious. Go study!

Hell week approaches

Wat why two back to back radiology quizzes THAT JUST IS WRONG.

Are you guys scheduling rotations or has that ship sailed? In any case, if you are and want a FANTASTIC externship, Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI just posted theirs and it was hands down one of my favourite and most useful externships in school. At least when I was there, they provide lots of the noms and housing and had just remodeled their hospital. If you like canine therio you can focus a bit more on those cases, but if not, it's still literally two-three weeks of roly poly guide dog puppies and joy and surgery and dentistry and fun stuff.

I'd move my entire life and take a job with them with no questions asked if offered. Such an awesome place. Consider it if you have a spare slot.

Are you guys scheduling rotations or has that ship sailed? In any case, if you are and want a FANTASTIC externship, Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI just posted theirs and it was hands down one of my favourite and most useful externships in school. At least when I was there, they provide lots of the noms and housing and had just remodeled their hospital. If you like canine therio you can focus a bit more on those cases, but if not, it's still literally two-three weeks of roly poly guide dog puppies and joy and surgery and dentistry and fun stuff.

I'd move my entire life and take a job with them with no questions asked if offered. Such an awesome place. Consider it if you have a spare slote.

Ohhh I wonder if Guide Dogs for the Blind in Oregon does this too....

Cause puppies. All day. Omg.

We have a quiz on Monday on our research project. I'm in the leadership group for the project. I'm also home this weekend and not studying. My grade isn't going to reflect my leadership....
Better than expected! (now about these midterms...)