Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It really weirds me out when things in imaging make sense to my completely not-a-visual-learner self.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty much the only good thing about Oregon state. Lol. So much aquaculture med about to be in my future. Lol
I think you know one of my classmates, possibly via fish-related things. I saw an interaction on a facebook post and was like :eek:

Reactions: 1 user
I think you know one of my classmates, possibly via fish-related things. I saw an interaction on a facebook post and was like :eek:
Yeah, there's a solid group of whats seems like a dozen people that are all into those weird water things

Yeah, there's a solid group of whats seems like a dozen people that are all into those weird water things
I actually really love aquatics, it's just not the only thing I want to do (because lol I want to do everything). So looking forward to the aquatic animal health elective that starts next month :love:

My notecards are so out of control already...haven't had time to review anything, gaps everywhere because I can't stay focused in class. This is going well :laugh:

My quizlet cards will be over 2k by the end of today.

Reactions: 1 users
My quizlet cards will be over 2k by the end of today.
And this is why I only make note cards for pharm and parasitology. I don’t have the dedication to make that many lol

And this is why I only make note cards for pharm and parasitology. I don’t have the dedication to make that many lol

I do them during class cause the vast majority of our profs have everything on the slides. Saves a ton of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So one faculty member basically runs a whole program, and a bunch of us are having trouble with one of the special electives and the way it's being run. We have to do shifts to complete the requirements, but a lot of people haven't been able to get a single shift in at all. Sign ups are first come, first served, and there's no mechanism to make sure everyone can get their requirements done. If you're not lucky enough to press F5 at the right split second and fill out the form, you're locked out. And there are over 200 students enrolled with only 6 slots available per week. If we don't get it done by the end of this semester, we fail.

Now, I want to take the classroom elective and the clinical rotation associated with the program. If I complain about the special elective and make a fuss, I'm basically setting myself up for misery in the other elective and rotation by being the "oh it's you, the annoying gadfly" to this faculty member who runs everything (or I have to just avoid them altogether by skipping the elective and looking for an extracurricular rotation instead). If I don't complain in order to preserve those other opportunities, then I end up with an F on my transcript. Or the most likely scenario, if I complain, is that I burn a bridge and still end up with an F on my transcript because the class is externally funded, and no one cares as long as the faculty member keeps bringing in grant money. What am I supposed to do here? You'd think that multiple people failing to complete the course every single year would perhaps be considered a problem.

Yikes, that sounds like a real mess! Could you take it to your academic dean? I'm sure there's someone at the school that would care this is happening!

For someone who is supposed to be tracking small animal, I sure seem to do better on large animal related tests.

Hmm.

While we don’t actually track at okstate, I want to do small animal/feline GP but I too have noticed I perform better on large animal tests. I have chalked it up to less stress/pressure to do well on the large animal side but idk. Has happened in nearly every class that is split with large vs small info. It’s gotten so bad that all I can do is laugh. I joke that instead of seeing cats I should see calves.

What are people's thoughts on Kansas? Good enough of a place to be there for a decade?

As in Kansas State area? Are you looking at working at NBAF?
Yeah. Trying to think of what I want to do next, and what I want to ask for in my placement letter to the head of aphis next year. I'm pretty sure I'll be headed back to school at some point in the future, why not do it now. I recently met a woman who recently graduated in the same program that I'm a part of get a pathology residency right out of school, so I feel like there's some precedent there.
I'm just going to be racking up servitude time to the USDA. 3 years for vet school, like 5-7 for a PhD, not to mention the time getting a PhD would take.

Yeah. Trying to think of what I want to do next, and what I want to ask for in my placement letter to the head of aphis next year. I'm pretty sure I'll be headed back to school at some point in the future, why not do it now. I recently met a woman who recently graduated in the same program that I'm a part of get a pathology residency right out of school, so I feel like there's some precedent there.
I'm just going to be racking up servitude time to the USDA. 3 years for vet school, like 5-7 for a PhD, not to mention the time getting a PhD would take.
Nice! Well as far as Manhattan goes, it's significantly smaller than I'm used to, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I first applied here. We have all the essentials (Target, Walmart, Starbucks, an okay mall, some good restaurants, etc.), the zoo is nice, and there are some good hiking trails. It's nice being able to get from one end of town to the other in ~15 minutes (if there's not football traffic). Kansas City is two hours away if you get bored and want to get away on a weekend. Culturally it's a pretty conservative area of course, but being a college town, and especially around the vet school having so many out-of-state students, it's not terrible. Tbh I would not want to stick around here after I'm done with school, my husband and I are city people at heart, but it's definitely not a desolate, rural wasteland like the western half of the state. Tagging @Frozenshades because he's been here longer than I have and is doing the PhD thing!

2 full days of mandatory lecture on practice management is a long 2 days for someone who has no intentions of going into private practice and definitely no interest in ever owning one.

Reactions: 5 users

Ah, are you thinking of the NSTP? Five people in my department got selected for that this time around. At least on paper it seems like a pretty sweet deal if that's a plan that works for you. I agree with Lyra's summary of MHK; it's not a bad place and I've enjoyed my time here, but I don't think staying was ever really in the cards for me. I don't think I'd be the happiest living here long term. My fiancee is waiting on me to move to NY (and I want out there ASAP), so I'm not taking on any commitments here. If I hadn't met her, then I most likely would have wanted to move back to the Dallas area.

Also be prepared for the prospect of delays and the first employees having to write a zillion SOPs for everything (my understanding was the DHS had that covered but since they walked away and left it to USDA they need to figure out their written policies and procedures for everything now). The timeline says 2023 for full operations, but you never know what will happen (AKA I'll be surprised if there isn't some additional delay(s) at some point, even if it's minor). Money issues, construction delays, certifications, permits, etc. Look at Boston U's NEIDL. Built and set to go in 2008 until the Boston Public Health Commission had a sudden problem with it and dragged everything through the proverbial legal mud. Ten years later their BSL-4 just got permission to go hot at the start of this year. The point of that is, any NSTP fellow planning on being done with school in the next 4-5 years is planning on being sent to Plum Island first. So major delays could mean you get kicked to NY as part of your service commitment until NBAF opens as well.

Nice! Well as far as Manhattan goes, it's significantly smaller than I'm used to, but it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I first applied here. We have all the essentials (Target, Walmart, Starbucks, an okay mall, some good restaurants, etc.), the zoo is nice, and there are some good hiking trails. It's nice being able to get from one end of town to the other in ~15 minutes (if there's not football traffic). Kansas City is two hours away if you get bored and want to get away on a weekend. Culturally it's a pretty conservative area of course, but being a college town, and especially around the vet school having so many out-of-state students, it's not terrible. Tbh I would not want to stick around here after I'm done with school, my husband and I are city people at heart, but it's definitely not a desolate, rural wasteland like the western half of the state. Tagging @Frozenshades because he's been here longer than I have and is doing the PhD thing!

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised with some of the decent restaurant choices, but the food scene still pales in comparison to a city. I want bakeries and delis and people to know what a proper bagel is.

And also I'm sorry but Kansas City airport is a dump; it's only saving grace is how uncrowded it is since it's a small airport :whistle:

Who is teaching it? Did they bring someone in again? Lance or whats-his-name?

They brought someone in but his name isn't Lance.

I can't even handle 8 hours a day of 1 single class I LIKE. This is torture. The only thing saving me is the World Equestrian Games are livestreaming so I'm watching those...

Ah, are you thinking of the NSTP?

Yeah, somewhat. It's been on my mind for a while now. My fate after graduation is up in the air right now, and trying to brainstorm about what to try and do next.
I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, so I know all about government plans falling through and the slow and torturous pace that government machinery runs at. The USDA gets to put me where ever they want once I graduate. I figure that I'd try to get an extra say in the matter my letting them know I'd be open to more school and working in that capacity.

There's a few other schools that are signed on for the program too, so I might not have to spent all that time in Kansas

They brought someone in but his name isn't Lance.

I can't even handle 8 hours a day of 1 single class I LIKE. This is torture. The only thing saving me is the World Equestrian Games are livestreaming so I'm watching those...
Interesting. Is it a young guy? Sorry, I remember having something like this in 3rd year and it was an old sexist white dude and his younger white dude protege. He made some fairly inappropriate comments and we brought it up with the administration (apparently similar things had happened the year prior yet he was still invited back). I had heard he had retired but was wondering if UMN was still bringing in his underling. I thought his name was Lance or Logan or L-something. May have made that up. Anyway, those days were also boring as heck for me and I am pretty sure I got nothing out of it (other than shock and anger about the aforementioned inappropriateness).

I kinda consider Stillwater and Manhattan on the same level in my head, but perhaps they really aren't - I guess Stilly really is that small.

No Target. A mall? Lol no. A ZOO? Yeah, that's laughable.

The airport has a connection to Dallas that goes in once in the AM and out once in the PM... and it's tiiiiiiny. Probably easy to get into, though. Otherwise, you drive to OKC or Tulsa.

Interesting. Is it a young guy? Sorry, I remember having something like this in 3rd year and it was an old sexist white dude and his younger white dude protege. He made some fairly inappropriate comments and we brought it up with the administration (apparently similar things had happened the year prior yet he was still invited back). I had heard he had retired but was wondering if UMN was still bringing in his underling. I thought his name was Lance or Logan or L-something. May have made that up. Anyway, those days were also boring as heck for me and I am pretty sure I got nothing out of it (other than shock and anger about the aforementioned inappropriateness).

I remember hearing about that... hopefully the sexist guy stays fired...

I got my 4th year schedule!!! I'm not certain it's official since they didn't email us they were up, one of my classmates just happened to notice where they're posted, but I'm pretty happy with it. I start off with a week of vacation, lol. Signature will be coming soon!

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, somewhat. It's been on my mind for a while now. My fate after graduation is up in the air right now, and trying to brainstorm about what to try and do next.
I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, so I know all about government plans falling through and the slow and torturous pace that government machinery runs at. The USDA gets to put me where ever they want once I graduate. I figure that I'd try to get an extra say in the matter my letting them know I'd be open to more school and working in that capacity.

There's a few other schools that are signed on for the program too, so I might not have to spent all that time in Kansas

Gotcha. Well if you think about coming here give me a shout. It wouldn't be a bad option if you're interested in that avenue of work, get your feet wet with infectious disease research if you haven't already. The high containment facility here has an ACL-3 insectary, BSL-3, ABSL-3, and BSL-3Ag space.

I got my 4th year schedule!!! I'm not certain it's official since they didn't email us they were up, one of my classmates just happened to notice where they're posted, but I'm pretty happy with it. I start off with a week of vacation, lol. Signature will be coming soon!

Dentistry is a happy place. Good one to start with. They know me well - insert toothless dog joke here.

Ortho was my finisher as well.

Lol we'll see if we get our schedules by March...

I'm exhausted. The third year of the new curriculum means a shift away from the integrated topics of the last two years...back to 10-12 classes of various topics that have nothing in common with each other. The study patterns are all different. 20 questions shouldn't determine half of your grade for a class we're required to pass to move on.

Also three exams in a week is no fun compared to when we had one exam every two weeks...

Just finished one exam and now I have to dive into study for the next one on Friday. This blows.

Just finished one exam and now I have to dive into study for the next one on Friday. This blows.
That’s how our program is for all 3 years, so it was really surprising to hear of different schools changing it up/ not having an ambush of tests all the time.

Last semester I had between 1-3 exams a week for 13 straight weeks. It’s something you get used to, but it’s miserable and exhausting.

I’m sorry you’re struggling.

I'm exhausted. The third year of the new curriculum means a shift away from the integrated topics of the last two years...back to 10-12 classes of various topics that have nothing in common with each other. The study patterns are all different. 20 questions shouldn't determine half of your grade for a class we're required to pass to move on.

Also three exams in a week is no fun compared to when we had one exam every two weeks...

Ah that sucks that they included existing students in those kinds of changes. While I think our new curriculum is pretty great, I'm glad we're not included in it. Too much change to adjust to when you on your third year.

Also interesting that they moved from integration to what I usually think of as a more traditional curriculum.

Sorry you're having a rough time :( the test to test studying is the worst and I know it well. It's like you never get a break.

That’s how our program is for all 3 years, so it was really surprising to hear of different schools changing it up/ not having an ambush of tests all the time.

Last semester I had between 1-3 exams a week for 13 straight weeks. It’s something you get used to, but it’s miserable and exhausting.

I’m sorry you’re struggling.
I'm stuck in this trap right now. I have a test tomorrow and I just don't even care about it anymore lol

Tonight's goals were to read my three articles for my wildlife diseases course and learn all about equine orthopedic radiology (quiz tomorrow).

I read 2.25 articles and did not really study. Hooray.

Lol our small animal surgery exam yesterday was definitely based on how the course was taught last year, which is not how it was taught this year.

Good thing it was open book because probably 30-35% of the material was stuff we've NEVER covered.

also am I allowed to say that I don't like multiple choice exams for things like anesthesia protocols? I'd like to be able to explain my thinking for the protocol I want to use... I've never been the biggest fan of multiple choice tbh