Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get off! Go study or if you need a break go take a walk or go for a ten minute drive with your radio blasting. We love you, good luck this week :kiss:
Being away from SDN doesn't matter when I spent hours cooking and cleaning today instead of studying :hilarious:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's Saturday night on a long weekend. I just emailed a prof a question. We have a midterm first thing Tuesday and I'm confused, but also worried that might come across as a bit pathologic... :laugh::help:

It's Saturday night on a long weekend. I just emailed a prof a question. We have a midterm first thing Tuesday and I'm confused, but also worried that might come across as a bit pathologic... :laugh::help:
My brain is already melting, don't confuse me further by mixing up the days :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I have classmates that will email profs at 10 pm the night before exams. So you’re fine :p

My brain is already melting, don't confuse me further by mixing up the days :p
I want to have an extra day at home with my hubby and son instead of going back to school for exams... can you really blame me??

My dog is doing much better now after his HGE. Discharged from the hospital and he’s eating much better than...last year’s HGE. :smack:

Still, I can’t work worth a damn when my dog is sick; I’m happy to see him turn around :love:

Reactions: 5 users
I mean, I have classmates that will email profs at 10 pm the night before exams. So you’re fine :p
I’ve definitely emailed professors at like 11 pm and I’m usually really shocked at the fact that they’re awake and reply back almost immediately. Like wow, it’s expected that I don’t have a life- what’s your excuse?

I’ve definitely emailed professors at like 11 pm and I’m usually really shocked at the fact that they’re awake and reply back almost immediately. Like wow, it’s expected that I don’t have a life- what’s your excuse?
Yup, I got an email back that night! Last year when I did that at one point, I got the reply (with a profuse apology) during the exam. Less helpful....

Our professors will tell us not to email them after like 9pm the night before an exam because they can't guarantee that they'll respond in time
Oh I don’t do it before the exam typically, and if I do, I never expect a reply. Just makes me smile when it happens. I typically just do it when I’m studying and have a question or something of the like

You’d be surprised at how horrible work life balance can be for faculty. It’s one of the reasons I am leaning towards diagnostics over academia. They keep cutting faculty from my program but keeping all clinics and teaching requirements the same and adding more research...it’s not uncommon for my faculty to even work on weekends to keep caught up. Which sucks.

You’d be surprised at how horrible work life balance can be for faculty. It’s one of the reasons I am leaning towards diagnostics over academia. They keep cutting faculty from my program but keeping all clinics and teaching requirements the same and adding more research...it’s not uncommon for my faculty to even work on weekends to keep caught up. Which sucks.
Yup. This

Members don't see this ad :)
I answer emails from my students really fast - but that’s because I’m a millennial and my phone is always in my hand.

I just had one ask for study advice and it’s hard - like how do I tell someone how to study? I go over general things but it’s like, you gotta figure out how you learn. I can’t do that for you.

And then I guess they have some test taking anxiety, and I’m not sure what advice to give on that, because I just had normal anxiety (like about the material) but not specific test taking type anxiety...

Oh I don’t do it before the exam typically, and if I do, I never expect a reply. Just makes me smile when it happens. I typically just do it when I’m studying and have a question or something of the like
Oh that reply was more to squeaks than to you lol

Today I showed up 45 minutes late to a 1.5 hour midterm because of snow and traffic. Still finished on time, just. But ugh what a way to start the day
It was like 85 here today. I was sweating my butt off wrestling sheep.

Today I showed up 45 minutes late to a 1.5 hour midterm because of snow and traffic. Still finished on time, just. But ugh what a way to start the day
Yikes

Can you send a little of that chill down here though? It's still summer in these parts :lame:

Yikes

Can you send a little of that chill down here though? It's still summer in these parts :lame:
You can have some of mine, it's so cold I just curled up in bed and prayed for warmth when I got home (it's not actually that cold if you're going by true northener standards, only the 30s, but I'm dying)

You can have some of mine, it's so cold I just curled up in bed and prayed for warmth when I got home (it's not actually that cold if you're going by true northener standards, only the 30s, but I'm dying)
AND I've eaten baked potatoes for dinner two nights in a row now

I did my first surgery today! She lives!

Reactions: 7 users
You guys must have a accidentally left your therio interest with me. I lurve it :love:

There's always one.

Don't suppose you can send me some of your therio interest vibes so I can maybe not fail my exam tomorrow, can you? I've been studying but I'm not doing the best job of retaining...

There's always one.

Don't suppose you can send me some of your therio interest vibes so I can maybe not fail my exam tomorrow, can you? I've been studying but I'm not doing the best job of retaining...
I can try! I already took that exam so I don't need them right now ;)

Whoever told me this semester was easier than last semester lied. :dead: The classes are mostly more interesting (with the exception of food animal med), but junior surgery lab is a slog. Actually doing surgery last week went well, but there are so many extra responsibilities and vaguely defined expectations with JSL here, and your grade is on the line if you mess up. The anxiety and imposter syndrome is real. :oops:

I did my first surgery today! She lives!

Ended up adopting this kitty. She is completely amazing. I can't believe how well she fits in with my family. And she's made the transition from outside cat to inside pretty easily.

Reactions: 10 users
This post is useless without pictures :p
How about you get on Facebook and look at them then!

I'm much too lazy to resize and whatever else is required to post something here .

I picked my base clinic schedule today! It's going to get switched around a bit so I'm not going to put it in my signature yet (still have to pick electives, will likely end up moving my externship blocks, and I would like to get rid of Derm and maybe Equine Surgery...maybe Ortho too), but for now...

Elective - Spay/Neuter - Small Animal Emergency - Farm Animal Med & Surgery - Equine Surgery - Diagnostic Imaging I - Diagnostic Skills - Pathology - Orthopedic Surgery - Avian/Exotics - Soft Tissue Surgery - Vacation (Zoo Vets/ ExoticsCon!!!) - Anesthesia - Community Practice - Externship - Dermatology - Farm Animal Field Services - Equine Med - Diagnostic Imaging II - Elective - Small Animal Internal Med - Externship - Equine Field Services

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I picked my base clinic schedule today! It's going to get switched around a bit so I'm not going to put it in my signature yet (still have to pick electives, will likely end up moving my externship blocks, and I would like to get rid of Derm and maybe Equine Surgery...maybe Ortho too), but for now...

Elective - Spay/Neuter - Small Animal Emergency - Farm Animal Med & Surgery - Equine Surgery - Diagnostic Imaging I - Diagnostic Skills - Pathology - Orthopedic Surgery - Avian/Exotics - Soft Tissue Surgery - Vacation (Zoo Vets/ ExoticsCon!!!) - Anesthesia - Community Practice - Externship - Dermatology - Farm Animal Field Services - Equine Med - Diagnostic Imaging II - Elective - Small Animal Internal Med - Externship - Equine Field Services

Needs more Cowbell

Reactions: 4 users
Got some nice compliments on my suturing from the surgeons overseeing our spay/neuter dry run lab yesterday. Makes me happy given the whole wanting to be a surgical oncologist thing.

Yay suturing.

Reactions: 6 users
I have a working theory that the actual mechanism of action for inhalant anesthetics is some form of dark magic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have a working theory that the actual mechanism of action for inhalant anesthetics is some form of dark magic.
I believe that.

Is it physics? *Shudders*