Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The USDA modules are so boring. We have some due every single Sunday and I basically don’t do them until the last possible moment lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I did them in the lectures where they talked at us about the regulatory medicine lol
We have them as a separate “class” but really we just have to read the modules and do the quizzes and then screen shot our scores and upload them...there’s not actually a lecture component lol

Members don't see this ad :)
My junior surgery dog is heartworm positive and his foster fell through due to a health emergency. The only, only, ONLY reason I haven't changed my lease so that I could foster him for treatment is that I'm gone for 4 blocks (2 months) that would overlap if I took him now. There's no way to fly this dog with me to CO then TX for my externships. Ugh, my soul!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 7 users
My junior surgery dog is heartworm positive and his foster fell through due to a health emergency. The only, only, ONLY reason I haven't changed my lease so that I could foster him for treatment is that I'm gone for 4 blocks (2 months) that would overlap if I took him now. There's no way to fly this dog with me to CO then TX for my externships. Ugh, my soul!!!
....when are these blocks....

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Awe I’m sorry. That’s rough. You need to bribe a friend ;) I have a full house, so there is zero percent chance I can adopt what ever patient I get assigned next week.

Awe I’m sorry. That’s rough. You need to bribe a friend ;) I have a full house, so there is zero percent chance I can adopt what ever patient I get assigned next week.

I actually specifically have a no pets lease so I didnt adopt anything. He would definitely be foster only. I just wish I could help him.

....when are these blocks....

B, C, D, and E :/ But your team leader may be fostering.

I actually specifically have a no pets lease so I didnt adopt anything. He would definitely be foster only. I just wish I could help him.

B, C, D, and E :/ But your team leader may be fostering.

You’re a better person than me. In three years, I went from zero pets to three lololol

We have them as a separate “class” but really we just have to read the modules and do the quizzes and then screen shot our scores and upload them...there’s not actually a lecture component lol

What? No lectures? I'm jealous. In class we had to sit through lectures over similar things as the modules as well as take quizzes that were almost the same as the modules. We had to have the corresponding modules done prior to the class quiz though

Members don't see this ad :)
What? No lectures? I'm jealous. In class we had to sit through lectures over similar things as the modules as well as take quizzes that were almost the same as the modules. We had to have the corresponding modules done prior to the class quiz though
Nope! Guess I shouldn’t complain too much lol

ugh so many of my professors have been casually going 5-7 minutes over this past week. We only get 10 minute breaks! Stop talking and learn to manage your time!

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
ugh so many of my professors have been casually going 5-7 minutes over this past week. We only get 10 minute breaks! Stop talking and learn to manage your time!
So I was that person that would stand up when class was done, and if the prof said something, or talked at me louder, or gestured or whatever, I'd very loudly announce I HAVE TO PEE. They were usually embarrassed enough that the running over stopped. I had to do it to like 4 profs though one semester.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
This has gotten so bad this semester that the Associate Dean of Students had to email all of our professors and ask them to please be respectful of our time. And yet they still have been going way over :unsure:

• Sad
I WANT MY SCHEDULE :rage:
It's starting to look like we're going to get ours sorted before you get yours lol. We got all the mandatory stuff sorted last night, and do electives on Thursday. Don't know if I'm going to post it on here right away though... kind of scared of jinxing myself after what happened last year!

So I was that person that would stand up when class was done, and if the prof said something, or talked at me louder, or gestured or whatever, I'd very loudly announce I HAVE TO PEE. They were usually embarrassed enough that the running over stopped. I had to do it to like 4 profs though one semester.
Hmmmmmmm

Down to only two unknowns in my schedule since a spot in rehab opened. And I basically managed to get all the electives I wanted (aside from behavior which I'd be on the fence about anyways even if there were an open space right now). :D

Reactions: 6 users
So I have six weeks of classes left and eight weeks total before clinics start, still no schedule. Not that it's important or anything :yeahright:

Also good news! I've booked all of my externship housing! YAY! It hurt my wallet a LOT but totally worth it! Just need to rent a car for one that is kinda far away, the rest I can walk.

I thought I full-on bombed a test a few weeks ago based on the immediate score in the testing software...

...scores just got officially updated, my grade jumped almost 20 points.

What a relief. That had been weighing on me a lot.

Reactions: 11 users
So I have six weeks of classes left and eight weeks total before clinics start, still no schedule. Not that it's important or anything :yeahright:

Also good news! I've booked all of my externship housing! YAY! It hurt my wallet a LOT but totally worth it! Just need to rent a car for one that is kinda far away, the rest I can walk.
I actually came on here specifically to ask you about that. We get the second half of our schedules tonight... I think I'm winning!

• Haha
I thought I full-on bombed a test a few weeks ago based on the immediate score in the testing software...

...scores just got officially updated, my grade jumped almost 20 points.

What a relief. That had been weighing on me a lot.
Oh my god...the first exam from the same class in fall semester just changed too. Holy moly -- I was worried I was borderline failing this class as of this morning -- and now it's perfectly fine and I probably won't kill horses on my first rotation like I was worried about :xf:

If I didn't have another exam tomorrow morning I would make myself a margarita or go grab a beer somewhere haha

WoodburnBrewery_HB2.5c5a21b23018e.jpg

• Love
We don't even have a firm date yet, do you have the ability to change things after things are assigned?
On paper yes? But in reality it's almost impossible to actually do. Because of the way our system works almost any change causes a ripple effect and ****s things up for other people, so they try not to let us unless there's a really extenuating reason. Though this year the school actually changed someone's rotation two days after it started, but we all know the administration have different rules. Somehow I don't think an unapproved externship that I want to take during my vacation time would count as extenuating. Plus any changes are the ADA's call and he and I don't have a great history, so....

But also I'm super jealous that you guys get two weeks between classes and clinics! We get four days.

• Sad
On paper yes? But in reality it's almost impossible to actually do. Because of the way our system works almost any change causes a ripple effect and ****s things up for other people, so they try not to let us unless there's a really extenuating reason. Though this year the school actually changed someone's rotation two days after it started, but we all know the administration have different rules. Somehow I don't think an unapproved externship that I want to take during my vacation time would count as extenuating. Plus any changes are the ADA's call and he and I don't have a great history, so....

But also I'm super jealous that you guys get two weeks between classes and clinics! We get four days.
Well hopefully we can squeeze you in! I miiiiight even have a spare bedroom next year for you to stay in!

• Love

Oh we don't, we get one week. It's still really nice though. They still let us take the scheduled spring break before clinics so there's a random extra week of break then two more weeks of classes then break before clinic and then clinics start! lol I think they did it just so they could have an even number of weeks. Otherwise they totally would've been like "ok, class ends Friday, clinics start Monday!" I'm very happy we get a break!

We take out last final on Wednesday and clinic on call and ICU starts that night.

• Wow
  • Sad
Yesterday, I thought a scheduling issue was going to prevent me from going to the externship I was most excited about, but our program scheduler rocks and was able to work some magic and everything is fixed! Yay!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
On the point of terrible test questions: which of the following sets a cat up for best behavior:

Have elevated spaces for them
Have scratching posts
Allow cats enough space to get away from each
Regularly clean their litterbox

Thanks.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 5 users
I believe we finish finals, get two days of orientation to the hospital, and then start clinics. Basically the seniors graduate on Thursday and we start on Friday lol

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I believe we finish finals, get two days of orientation to the hospital, and then start clinics. Basically the seniors graduate on Thursday and we start on Friday lol
We overlap with the forth years for about a month not including the two weeks we go back to the classroom for business and clin path.

Nevermind, we actually finish finals on Tuesday, have mandatory orientation on Wednesday and start clinics on Thursday.

The hospital can't run at all without fourth years so they need us to start on the day the previous fourth years are graduating

Well hopefully we can squeeze you in! I miiiiight even have a spare bedroom next year for you to stay in!
I got my vacation when I wanted it, which means I'll be available for 3 of the weeks Jennifer said she'd be taking students. Because of the way her scheduling worked out that was the best case scenario. Hopefully there's actually a spot in one of them! Also means I can go to the AAVN symposium in Baltimore, and I'm hoping Lori Prantil might be able to take me for a week somewhere in there as well. We couldn't get it set up as a formal externship because a couple of my emails went to her junk folder. She thought I'd just flaked, and by the time she realised what had happened and contacted me it was too late. But we're still both hoping to get me down there during a vacation block. But you guys get first pick of dates because Jennifer has less flexibility.

• Love
Wasnt an option. So. I hope that one gets thrown out

I figured it wasn't an option or you wouldn't be complaining about it :p

Was it a computer based exam? I don't remember if you guys have those at Illinois. If it was, then was there any chance that you could select multiple but people just didn't realize it?

Because we had that happen once where there were some questions with multiple answers but no indication and a high proportion of the class didn't realize and therefore got them "wrong". I think they ultimately ended up throwing it out or giving us all credit or something. Hopefully your question gets tossed because it's dumb.

I mean... I honestly can't figure out what whoever wrote that question was thinking.

We had two weeks of transitions between finals and clinics. And then another two weeks of overlap with the class above us.

I'm not sure how they're planning to do transitions with the new curriculum. They're working on shifting the start date I think, so I think the plan is to come back from winter break, have a week of transitions, and then start clinics. Which is a nice break! I'm interested to see how the 4 month overlap goes.

I figured it wasn't an option or you wouldn't be complaining about it :p

Was it a computer based exam? I don't remember if you guys have those at Illinois. If it was, then was there any chance that you could select multiple but people just didn't realize it?

Because we had that happen once where there were some questions with multiple answers but no indication and a high proportion of the class didn't realize and therefore got them "wrong". I think they ultimately ended up throwing it out or giving us all credit or something. Hopefully your question gets tossed because it's dumb.

I mean... I honestly can't figure out what whoever wrote that question was thinking.

Yes to the exam based questions, but we cant pick multiple. I will say that this questions doesnt surprise me at all from the clinician that it came from. She'll think it's perfectly fine and will only drop it if a substantial number of people picked the "wrong" answer.

• Okay...
Sometimes things work out how they are supposed to...case and point:

I mentioned that I had a externship scheduling issue come up that I was originally stressed about, but was able to get fixed...

well today my mentor mentions submitting an abstract for ACVS for the project I’ve been working on. I honestly wasn’t sure how that would work with my clinics schedule...until I check and discover that because I had to shift things around, my vacation now falls during the week of ACVS, so I’ll be able to go!

*insert happy dance*

Also, I really do have the best mentor. But I’ve said that before:)

• Love
On the point of terrible test questions: which of the following sets a cat up for best behavior:

Have scratching posts

Thanks.

Wait is this an actually question?!

All of the above, I guess.

Have scratching posts

Thanks.
Answering purely based on my ****ass cat I would say allow cats enough space to get away from each other because the house seems happiest when there's like two doors and a gate between him and every other cat in the household :laugh: Ideally (in his mind) all other cats would not even live on the same street as him

But I agree that really all of these are the correct answer and asking students to divine the professor's thought process from the aether for this is a bit much