Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said it didn't specify in person? Which it did so I don't know wtf they're on about
They definitely did because my school has repeatedly emphasized that 30 weeks in-person is important. Are you guys still doing stuff online at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

as long as the college can demonstrate to the Council they are meeting the Standards of Accreditation, the Council tries to avoid being prescriptive.

This statement annoys me. Being prescriptive is the point of an accrediting body.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What also annoys me is that our administration appears to have decentralized decision making way too far. They refuse to enforce a minimum standard among our various services. While some services took seriously their obligation to provide us with hands-on clinic time, others are doing nothing or hardly anything at all and are allowed to get away with it.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
They definitely did because my school has repeatedly emphasized that 30 weeks in-person is important. Are you guys still doing stuff online at this point?
Orthopedic surgery is completely online *still*. Dermatology is 1/2 day over 2 weeks. Radiology is 1 week of half-days. Neurology and cardiology are 1 full week. Community surgery is 1 full week, condensed so that we get the same number of surgeries as previous years. Medicine is 2 full weeks out of 6, unless you signed up for extra weeks, in which case it's 2 out of 8. ER, anesthesia, and community practice are fairly normal I think. Oncology and anatomic pathology are 2 days per week. All large animal rotations are operating at 100%.

At our town hall meeting, I asked whether we would be guaranteed the opportunity to gain orthopedic examination skills (on ortho patients) at some point prior to graduation, since it's been completely online and clearly does not currently meet COE standards. I was told that the administration has "no answer for us yet", that they "hope" they'll be able to increase student capacity to allow repeat rotations, but they can't promise us anything.

Yeah our hybrid clinics are mostly online and we come in once or twice a week if we're lucky, and there are rotations that are completely virtual still.

Yeah our hybrid clinics are mostly online and we come in once or twice a week if we're lucky, and there are rotations that are completely virtual still.

Interesting. Is COVID bad where you are? Admittedly CA is a little off my radar? We’re taking things pretty seriously here but the vast majority is still in person with masks/no clients in the building/social distancing limitations.

Interesting. Is COVID bad where you are? Admittedly CA is a little off my radar? We’re taking things pretty seriously here but the vast majority is still in person with masks/no clients in the building/social distancing limitations.
CA was at just over 7,000 new cases per day last week. Over 8,000 the week before. I am not surprised at all Davis is doing so many rotations remotely still, even though it definitely sucks for the students.

Reactions: 1 users
It's bad in southern CA, like Los Angeles. In the Davis area it's not that bad.

It's bad in southern CA, like Los Angeles. In the Davis area it's not that bad.
Our cases are going up though, so I understand the precautions. I wish things were different but it doesn't help that people aren't adhering to the safety precautions. I have seen many a Snapchat of people hanging out without masks or social distancing and it's very infuriating.

Reactions: 3 users
Soooooo........

We have had our first positive COVID case on a service and they're on 14 day quaratine

Reactions: 2 users
It'll be ok. We've had a lot of positives. No one has caught it from the VMTH yet!

As the 1st-3rd years start rolling in, I suspect we'll have more for sure. The school is having us test 2x/week. So we'll at least catch positives pretty quick

Members don't see this ad :)
As the 1st-3rd years start rolling in, I suspect we'll have more for sure. The school is having us test 2x/week. So we'll at least catch positives pretty quick

your getting COVID tests 2x a week? What?

your getting COVID tests 2x a week? What?

Yep. They set up a testing tent right outside our VDL (which is who is running the testing) and we're supposed to get tested 2x/week.

thats crazy and impressive

Illinois is very paranoid overall, tbh. Weve been wearing masks and face shields for anesthesia this whole time. Round at home over zoom if your table time is 10:30 or later. When your cases are done, you're sent home.

Illinois is being very paranoid safe and careful overall, tbh. Weve been wearing masks and face shields for anesthesia this whole time. Round at home over zoom if your table time is 10:30 or later. When your cases are done, you're sent home.
FTFY :p

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Illinois is very paranoid overall, tbh. Weve been wearing masks and face shields for anesthesia this whole time. Round at home over zoom if your table time is 10:30 or later. When your cases are done, you're sent home.

we are taking similar precautions minus the tests but the tests is pretty great

OkState has us 50% in person- one week in person and one week online per rotation. We have to wear masks in the VTH and keep our distance. We have to test when we come back from externships or if we come in contact with a positive person.

I know the school can’t control it, but I hate that I’m paying so much money in OOS tuition for 4th year and I’m in person for less than half of it

OkState has us 50% in person- one week in person and one week online per rotation. We have to wear masks in the VTH and keep our distance. We have to test when we come back from externships or if we come in contact with a positive person.

I know the school can’t control it, but I hate that I’m paying so much money in OOS tuition for 4th year and I’m in person for less than half of it
We were led to believe that's what our rotations would be like. One week in, one week online. Not even close to reality.

I'll be interested to see (or hear, since I won't be there until the second rotation) how in person things go when we go back to in person last week. We've already done "half online" for most of these rotations because that was essentially what we did all summer and will only be getting a week and a half per rotation for the most part this semester. I'm gonna be kinda miffed if they just start sending us home half the time with the rotations already being shortened as it is.

I had a dog present to the ER yesterday in need of CPR, and I was the second round of compressions. Gotta admit, I’m RECOVER CPR trained and I’ve been through two different CPR wet labs, but the only thing in my head was this scene from the Office. :laugh:

CPR Training

you know, all things considered, they do teach good information in this

• Haha
I had a dog present to the ER yesterday in need of CPR, and I was the second round of compressions. Gotta admit, I’m RECOVER CPR trained and I’ve been through two different CPR wet labs, but the only thing in my head was this scene from the Office. :laugh:

CPR Training

you know, all things considered, they do teach good information in this
I dont think you would have passed your rotation if you listened to Dwight....

• Haha
So our whole "pick your own locker" thing we got going on here... I picked a locker in December right before I started clinics. It appeared empty, no name tag and no lock on it. I did forget to email them which locker I had picked, but this went uneventfully for the three months that I was on clinics.

Then a couple weeks ago they email us that there are a lot of lockers with locks on them that are listed as "available" on the master list so we need to tell them what locker we have. Cool, guess I wasn't the only one who forgot the email them. Except I tell them my number and they say that locker is claimed. Great. So I figure maybe I have the number wrong but they can't figure out which is mine so I go in and my lock is on exactly the number I said it was and I even had some things in it. I'm really not sure how a locker I've been using since December belongs to someone else but whatever. I move my stuff to another locker but I'm emailing back and forth with them to make sure this one is actually available. I now have a new locker, that I actually like slightly better because the old one was in a corner and this one is not but... I could have done without making a trip to the school just for this.

But anyways, letting people just pick their own locker is not the smoothest of ideas.

Tomorrow I begin a rotation that I’m not excited for in the least bit. I’m trying to be positive but I’m already feeling overwhelmed and unprepared.

I’m really salty about having lost over an hour of my time today hunting down videos I’m supposed to watch because apparently there wasn’t any room in the TWELVE PAGE SYLLABUS to put a link or a sentence directing me to where the videos can be accessed. :cautious:

Tomorrow I begin a rotation that I’m not excited for in the least bit. I’m trying to be positive but I’m already feeling overwhelmed and unprepared.

I’m really salty about having lost over an hour of my time today hunting down videos I’m supposed to watch because apparently there wasn’t any room in the TWELVE PAGE SYLLABUS to put a link or a sentence directing me to where the videos can be accessed. :cautious:

What's the rotation?

On call for anesthesia tonight and start internal med tomorrow. On top of planning a 10 year high school class reunion in a state where gatherings of greater than 10 people are currently banned. Lazy me just wants to postpone the reunion rather than trying to organize a giant zoom meeting for 250-500 people (our class was 590, but not everyone will come to begin with in-person or virtual).

I start dermatology tomorrow. They're graciously affording us 1 whole half-day in the clinic over two weeks, where we get to see 2 cases total, and the faculty won't even be there. Super excited for the hours of webinars and zoom rounds! They care so much about preparing us to be clinicians!

• Wow
  • Sad
Oh yeah, I'm not excited about that one either. :laugh:

It wouldn’t suck as much if we weren’t expected to take on so many other duties all day and night. We also have to deal with the implementation of a new computer system at the same time so I feel like everything is going to take 3X as long to complete.

On call for anesthesia tonight and start internal med tomorrow. On top of planning a 10 year high school class reunion in a state where gatherings of greater than 10 people are currently banned. Lazy me just wants to postpone the reunion rather than trying to organize a giant zoom meeting for 250-500 people (our class was 590, but not everyone will come to begin with in-person or virtual).
Omg what why are we doing a z o o m m e e t i n g class reunion who is even going to attend. I’m with you on postponing it.

Oh yeah, I'm not excited about that one either. :laugh:
I LOVED my surgery rotation. I developed the most profound, utmost respect for the resident who was with me throughout that entire rotation, and everytime my friends take that rotation, they join the fan club (their words, not mine.)

lately, we’ve been really low in faculty and only have 2 SA surgeons (+ locums) and 3 SA surgery residents. So the residents are very very busy, and still very kind and good

I start dermatology tomorrow. They're graciously affording us 1 whole half-day in the clinic over two weeks, where we get to see 2 cases total, and the faculty won't even be there. Super excited for the hours of webinars and zoom rounds! They care so much about preparing us to be clinicians!
Wow! How considerate of them!

Maybe you’ll see more during a CP/ GP rotation, I know they get the first line of skin problems. But I understand wholeheartedly how frustrating it is to not feel like you’re getting a good enough experience. Honestly if it weren’t for these externships I’m currently on, I wouldn’t feel confident in anything...

Currently prepping for the insanity of two weeks on ER and then two weeks on surgery. Sleep is overrated, right?

I hate derm so can't say I would be too disappointed in not seeing cases for it, but if you're going into GP it is super important. So get being frustrated about the experience for sure.

I hate derm so can't say I would be too disappointed in not seeing cases for it, but if you're going into GP it is super important. So get being frustrated about the experience for sure.
For what it's worth, I didn't take dermatology at all in clinics and am doing OK, so it won't be the very end of the world... but still sucks.

My philosophy of dermatology: if it can’t be fixed with Apoquel, prednisone, or a flea/ tick product with an isoxazoline, I don’t want to deal with it. :laugh:

• Haha
For what it's worth, I didn't take dermatology at all in clinics and am doing OK, so it won't be the very end of the world... but still sucks.
I didn't either, I would have died over those two weeks. Lean on my pre-vet school experience and some cases on our GP rotation, plus just brushing up on my notes from class and the derm textbook. I think it's relatively easy to become familiar with the usual stuff.

At least in my area most things just have flea allergy anyway.

Googled a lot of flea/tick preventatives when I was on primary care (mostly to figure out sizes for discharges but also because we had to do a short thing where we pretended to be a drug rep selling our assigned preventative and I had to do some comparing) and now facebook and amazon won't stop bombarding me with ads for them.

• Haha