Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m curious...those of you who have already started clinics again, how are they “distancing” you among rotations? Are you still learning well/enough if less physical time in the clinic?
Not entirely sure how it is on other rotations, but my next rotation is doing one week online/one week in person. We're handling all the client communications while we're online and relaying it back to a partner who is on physical clinics, and they handle the PE and other bits while sharing it with us via video. We also have cases to work through when we're in the online week. Everyone on the rotation is coming in for a skills lab during the first week as well. We'll all do rounds together and they'll just have us online folks call in.

My guess is part of keeping half of us online is because this particular rotation has a teeny rounds room, but I have heard of some rotations with more space that are also doing it this way.

Some other ones are having everyone come in for almost the whole time, and they might have 1-2 days online throughout the rotation. These are mostly the ECC rotations, where they have some leeway anyway because students are traditionally not assigned to shifts every single day of the rotation, but rather would get some days off regardless if the rotation were being run sans-pandemic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it'll be a weird thing for sure. I'm hoping to use some of the downtime on the online week to do some self-directed learning about ophtho because I don't know **** and I'd like to be marginally more useful than that before I come in and have to examine eyes in front of the ophthalmologists :laugh:

I’m curious...those of you who have already started clinics again, how are they “distancing” you among rotations? Are you still learning well/enough if less physical time in the clinic?
There's not nearly as much learning going on because of the social distancing. Not because of the distance but because they've cut the number of people allowed in the hospital at one time. I'm getting about half as much as I would normally, but at least it's way better than virtual?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's not nearly as much learning going on because of the social distancing. Not because of the distance but because they've cut the number of people allowed in the hospital at one time. I'm getting about half as much as I would normally, but at least it's way better than virtual?

kind of what I figured. What do you do when it’s not your “turn” to be in the hospital?

kind of what I figured. What do you do when it’s not your “turn” to be in the hospital?
Depends on the rotation. Cardio had basically nothing, some ECG packet but ultimately it was a day off. Same with shelter. There's some online webinars but not much. There's usually rounds everyday.

Depends on the rotation. Cardio had basically nothing, some ECG packet but ultimately it was a day off. Same with shelter. There's some online webinars but not much. There's usually rounds everyday.

we’ll see how it goes I guess...has to be better than zoom...

So I’m organizing a navle Jeopardy night for my friends in a week, and I was finishing up some NAVLE studying today, and said, out loud, “ooh! THAT would be a fun trivia question!”

Who have I become?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So I’m organizing a navle Jeopardy night for my friends in a week, and I was finishing up some NAVLE studying today, and said, out loud, “ooh! THAT would be a fun trivia question!”

Who have I become?
In case you were wondering what the question is

“A new ferret owner just came into your practice, upset after reading a Facebook article about “green slime disease”. What is the actual name of this disease process?”

Reactions: 2 users

“A new ferret owner just came into your practice, upset after reading a Facebook article about “green slime disease”. What is the actual name of this disease process?”
Answer:
Epizootic catarrhal enteritis, caused by the Ferret enteric coronavirus

Reactions: 3 users

literally the only two diseases I know occur in ferrets are 1) insulinomas 2) adrenal disease

so thanks for adding number 3 to my list lol

literally the only two diseases I know occur in ferrets are 1) insulinomas 2) adrenal disease

so thanks for adding number 3 to my list lol
According to Zuku/ NAVLE prep, the top 5 Ferret diseases of importance are: Cushings, Insulinoma, lymphoma, ferret coronavirus (ECE), and distemper

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Zuku/ NAVLE prep, the top 5 Ferret diseases of importance are: Cushings, Insulinoma, lymphoma, ferret coronavirus (ECE), and distemper

so i was 3/5 of the way there and with your help i'm now 4/5 of the way there. plus lymphoma...got it lol

but they don’t typically have lymphadenopathy because that would be too easy if the same disease looked the same in every species but alas

sounds like they’re more like cats than dogs. Hiding their lymphoma.

Top 5 ferret questions I get from owners:
1. Why is my ferret itchy all the time?
2. Why is my ferret losing hair?
3. Why is my ferret pawing at their face?
4. Why is my ferret walking funny/limping?
5. Why is my ferret so sleepy?

1. adrenal disease
2. adrenal disease
3. nausea (helicobacter usually, sometimes foreign body)
4. lymphoma, adrenal disease, splenomegaly, traumatic injury, gastric ulcer - basically any back pain or abdominal pain can make a ferret limp.
5. insulinoma

• Love
  • Haha
That I did not know!

I also know they get heartworms and ear mites.
I personally recommend my ferret appointments to be either a drop off (so I can monitor) or to have eyeballs on them directly after they leave for at least a couple hours. And generally only do one vaccine at a time.

but they don’t typically have lymphadenopathy because that would be too easy if the same disease looked the same in every species but alas
Or they *do* have "lymphadenopathy" because they're a ferret and they sometimes just store fat there. And that only rarely means lymphoma.

Top 5 ferret questions I get from owners:
1. Why is my ferret itchy all the time?
2. Why is my ferret losing hair?
3. Why is my ferret pawing at their face?
4. Why is my ferret walking funny/limping?
5. Why is my ferret so sleepy?

1. adrenal disease
2. adrenal disease
3. nausea (helicobacter usually, sometimes foreign body)
4. lymphoma, adrenal disease, splenomegaly, traumatic injury, gastric ulcer - basically any back pain or abdominal pain can make a ferret limp.
5. insulinoma
You missed a differential for limping.

Insulinoma. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I haven't even gotten the email saying I can schedule!! What is this?!

Oh my god

...guess I will be doing that today

I was just casually checking out which dates are available. Was not even actually planning to schedule right that minute... but that changed pretty quickly.

I haven't even gotten the email saying I can schedule!! What is this?!

I submitted my application on the 6th and got my scheduling permit on the 29th. If that helps you at all.

All the best people take it in December on the last available testing date. ;)

Hahaha I think the anxiety might kill me if I waited until the very end particularly with the monthly score reports. I'm taking it in October. :p

How do they determine available spots? Like if I'm taking it in the middle of nowhere, does that mean there is a higher likelihood of spots, or am I screwed because the numbers are determined by the ICVA?

How do they determine available spots? Like if I'm taking it in the middle of nowhere, does that mean there is a higher likelihood of spots, or am I screwed because the numbers are determined by the ICVA?

Pretty sure it's just testing center availability. I only checked the local testing site here because the next closest one is a good hour away and that's just not happening unless I literally had no other choice. I would imagine that in general the further away from a school you take it, the higher likelihood of available spots.

Yeah all of the spots at the one near me were full within five minutes of our report going out. My other options were Denver or Colorado Springs. Or I could drive to WY or NE. Said eff that, I wanted to take this in September for a damn reason, so I ended up scheduling it in my parent's city during a vacation so I can go take it there. I think availability here would have been easier if there were more of these stupid testing centers in this state (why is there not one in my college town?!) and if they didn't have to do social distancing rules, and if they didn't have other people signing up for tests at them at the same time.

Yup I originally paid around the 6th as well and just got my scheduling permit not that long ago. I booked it right in the middle of my Thanksgiving break (sort of as an excuse not to be able to go home if COVID doesn't provide enough of a reason).

the next closest one is a good hour away and that's just not happening unless I literally had no other choice.
the closest one to us IS an hour away, so it’s really frustrating.

I got booked for my scheduled date (according to the school), so it should be fun. My dad got me a hotel room for the night before so I don’t have to drive the morning of (Bc I get lost every single time I go to Tulsa... every time)

I got booked for my scheduled date (according to the school), so it should be fun. My dad got me a hotel room for the night before so I don’t have to drive the morning of (Bc I get lost every single time I go to Tulsa... every time)

Oof. I will count my blessings that our closest one is only 10-15 minutes away. It's good that you won't have to make the drive the morning of though.

Gross. You’d think there would be a Prometric place closer than that in a college town! Hotel sounds like a good idea so you have less stress!

Ugh, the closest one to us is 45 mins away. In a town that doesn't have a university and is slightly over half the size of the city I'm in. How?

I was real glad I was on an externship during NAVLE so I could do a testing center around Seattle lol was only a 45 minute drive from my parents instead of the hour and a half from Pullman. Was not looking forward to driving that far at 6 am like a lot of my classmates ended up having to do :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Like if I'm taking it in the middle of nowhere, does that mean there is a higher likelihood of spots, or am I screwed because the numbers are determined by the ICVA?
It was a breeze to schedule in Worcester. As well as in the somewhat secluded place of PA that I took it in after.

None of my Illinois friend group has gotten a scheduling email.... what the hell. Why is this such a pain in the ass. I do not want to have to go to chicago to take this damn test

It was a breeze to schedule in Worcester. As well as in the somewhat secluded place of PA that I took it in after.
I'm going for Portsmouth. Super close to my parents house, was really easy with the GRE and I got the added bonus of trolling them for a few minutes by acting like I failed

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Back to online classes on Monday. I've heard online soft tissue surgery has lots of reading and quizzes so I'm not quite looking forward to that. Also hoping to get our "final" schedules on Monday for fall and spring.

I can help? Lol

We start clinics for real tomorrow and I’m half terrified and half excited. Either way, I’m 100% sure I don’t know enough lol

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
TBF the testing place was really strange.
I'd drive you if I had the day off, not like I have some big November plans already.
The sad thing is that I’ve already been to this testing center. :laugh: But the hotel is very very close to the testing center. Will I still get lost? Absolutely, but at least this minimizes the general radius of area I can get lost in. :laugh:

96741DAB-7F44-4003-9F9C-11569E83DACB.jpeg

side note: I would not fare well in the times before GPS and this map technology. I would 100% be the person to roll down my window and politely ask directions. I know that I’d be this person, because I have had to do this before, when I got lost going to Tulsa... Tried to go to the airport, ended up in the middle of the arts district...

Reactions: 4 users
The sad thing is that I’ve already been to this testing center. :laugh: But the hotel is very very close to the testing center. Will I still get lost? Absolutely, but at least this minimizes the general radius of area I can get lost in. :laugh:

View attachment 312088

side note: I would not fare well in the times before GPS and this map technology. I would 100% be the person to roll down my window and politely ask directions. I know that I’d be this person, because I have had to do this before, when I got lost going to Tulsa... Tried to go to the airport, ended up in the middle of the arts district...
Those are like... the most straight forward directions ever :laugh:

Those are like... the most straight forward directions ever :laugh:
Part of the issue with Tulsa is there is more construction there than I’ve seen in a lot of places. Well, at least it was the last time I was there, which was like 4 years ago but still. Like you’ll be trucking along in the right hand lane waiting for your exit and all of a sudden it’s construction and your exit was changed to be off to the left and you can’t get over in time and now you’re lost.