Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Uh oh... I just realized I'm basically half-way through clinics and also the NAVLE is two months away.

tenor.gif
I take NAVLE in two weeks! Lots of panic over here lol.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You got this!!!

meanwhile I managed 0.5hours of studying today. It's my first time actually sitting down to do it.
I still feel decently behind and I've been studying for like 2.5 months! I think it's just jitters as I probably have enough background knowledge to pass, especially if I take the next week for some cleanup radiology/pharmacology/toxicology review as those are some bigger weak areas for me. Basically have given up on what I don't know for pigs/chickens/exotics - I know big picture stuff and those jerks are only a few % of the questions so sorry pigs and chickens and fish, y'all need to see a different doctor than me :laugh:

• Care
I still feel decently behind and I've been studying for like 2.5 months! I think it's just jitters as I probably have enough background knowledge to pass, especially if I take the next week for some cleanup radiology/pharmacology/toxicology review as those are some bigger weak areas for me. Basically have given up on what I don't know for pigs/chickens/exotics - I know big picture stuff and those jerks are only a few % of the questions so sorry pigs and chickens and fish, y'all need to see a different doctor than me :laugh:
Earlier I had 100% on my bovine questions which is ridiculous. I'm as qualified to treat cows as my business major sister is to do brain surgery.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Proud card-carrying member of the I Gave Up On Pigs Except for Like Erysipelas and Still Passed the NAVLE Just Fine Club right here.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Proud card-carrying member of the I Gave Up On Pigs Except for Like Erysipelas and Still Passed the NAVLE Just Fine Club right here.
Oh man, but are you in the I Def Reviewed a Powerpoint One Classmate Made For Us About Pigs Literally In The Testing Center Parking Lot and Still Passed By A Reasonable Amount Club? We have better cookies! ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Oh man, but are you in the I Def Reviewed a Powerpoint One Classmate Made For Us About Pigs Literally In The Testing Center Parking Lot and Still Passed By A Reasonable Amount Club? We have better cookies! ;)
I am a member of both of these clubs. Maybe honorary member of the second. I reviewed my own little chart. And probably promptly forgot everything on it :p

Reactions: 2 users
My professor made us a Poultry and Pigs PowerPoint! So yeah will 100% be doing that.

Also, this week on my Zuku schedule is pig week. Which is the worst.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew prior to this rotation that this is what I wanted to do with my life but now I’m 1000% sure and really thankful that I love something this much.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I knew prior to this rotation that this is what I wanted to do with my life but now I’m 1000% sure and really thankful that I love something this much.
That was exactly how I felt about my zoo rotations, I'm so happy for you!

Reactions: 1 users
When you paid for vetprep premium and you're trying to finish enough questions to unlock the "pile of done" feature in time to actually use it so you feel like you didn't waste money.
I'm at 14% and I bought this ish in February. 80% would be a miracle haha.

I'm justifying it by telling myself I'm watching pertinent lectures for my cases each day so I can answer questions in rounds. Life learning > test learning...? Maybe? I'll find out in 2 months.

Reactions: 1 user
A classmate said he has bailed on vet prep and downloaded the list of diseases from the ICVA. He's going through those diseases one by one in order of species prevalence on the test.

Kinda feel like that is maybe a better approach.

A classmate said he has bailed on vet prep and downloaded the list of diseases from the ICVA. He's going through those diseases one by one in order of species prevalence on the test.

I don't know... that list is obscenely long. Good for him if that works better for him, but from my perspective if I can't even chug through vet prep there's no way I'm gonna get more than 10% through that disease list going one by one. There are like 24 diseases just for fish. I don't even want to count the other ones.

I'm justifying it by telling myself I'm watching pertinent lectures for my cases each day so I can answer questions in rounds. Life learning > test learning...? Maybe? I'll find out in 2 months.
I think I learned more from rounds and looking up stuff for my patients than I did from Vetprep. Judging by the fact that I got through less than 30% of Vetprep lol

Damn, wish I had more patients :lame:
I can send you lists of cases I had and you can look stuff up for their issues :laugh: but no I don't know how rounds go for you guys but for us on each service there was a lot of focus in topic rounds on stuff that would likely be on the NAVLE. That was a big part of my studying too.

I feel this right now. It's been a light week on internal med and I really do learn better when I have my own real patient. It just sticks better that way.
I’m a little jealous because I’m on ICU and drowning in patients. One patient is on 12 different medications and most hours it takes at least 30 minutes to give the meds/ do treatments/ etc.

• Care
  • Wow
My win of the week was definitely finally figuring out the dreaded syringe pump...and doing a splenectomy with the ligasure...but honestly syringe pumps are more complicated lolol

Reactions: 4 users
I’m a little jealous because I’m on ICU and drowning in patients. One patient is on 12 different medications and most hours it takes at least 30 minutes to give the meds/ do treatments/ etc.

I will take some off your hands pls. I only had 3 patients last week, none of them required much since even the few meds they were on weren't given at 8 which is the only time I have to do patient care myself, and my expected patient Monday is an I131 so I don't even get to do much with it other than say hi and bye. And I only have 2 days left on internal med which I'm actually sad about given the low patient load. It's kind of funny since back before clinics started I was dreading IM but then I get here and it's such a light week that I'm disappointed. Wednesday I'll be off to primary care where I expect to continue having very few patients followed by surgery which... our surgery service is kinda limited right now. I'm gonna be so barely competent when I graduate. This is fine, right?

I will take some off your hands pls. I only had 3 patients last week, none of them required much since even the few meds they were on weren't given at 8 which is the only time I have to do patient care myself, and my expected patient Monday is an I131 so I don't even get to do much with it other than say hi and bye. And I only have 2 days left on internal med which I'm actually sad about given the low patient load. It's kind of funny since back before clinics started I was dreading IM but then I get here and it's such a light week that I'm disappointed. Wednesday I'll be off to primary care where I expect to continue having very few patients followed by surgery which... our surgery service is kinda limited right now. I'm gonna be so barely competent when I graduate. This is fine, right?

This has been super frustrating for me too. Stressing pretty hard that I am going to need a ton of OJT training and work is going to think I am an idiot that learned nothing. I just don't feel like 4th year is doing a great job of getting me practice ready.

I'm just skimming those now for my final "week before NAVLE" clean up review. Not gonna hurt myself going over the species stuff for animals that are only a few % of the questions, but want to make sure I can at least recognize the names of the conditions listed for the major species :p

My win of the week was definitely finally figuring out the dreaded syringe pump...and doing a splenectomy with the ligasure...but honestly syringe pumps are more complicated lolol
WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS BEEPING
the ones here beep when they're NEAR empty. When they ARE empty. When they can't figure out what size syringe is IN them. When I PAUSE them. When I SILENCE them. When I RUN them. When I FORGET to run them. When the line's OCCLUDED. When the line's NOT occluded.

My personal favorite: the one that beeped at me because I was turning it off :hilarious:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I'm just skimming those now for my final "week before NAVLE" clean up review. Not gonna hurt myself going over the species stuff for animals that are only a few % of the questions, but want to make sure I can at least recognize the names of the conditions listed for the major species :p
You got this!!!

• Care
WHY ARE THEY ALWAYS BEEPING
the ones here beep when they're NEAR empty. When they ARE empty. When they can't figure out what size syringe is IN them. When I PAUSE them. When I SILENCE them. When I RUN them. When I FORGET to run them. When the line's OCCLUDED. When the line's NOT occluded.

My personal favorite: the one that beeped at me because I was turning it off :hilarious:
8f86a2edf5f8575da0fc121189e06871.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
This morning my critical patient seizured and crashed, unfortunately. Towards the end she was on everything + oxygen + blood transfusion.

But yesterday, I pulled down my mask and kissed her forehead and when I pulled away, she kissed my forehead back... so at least she knew she was very loved

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
This morning my critical patient seizured and crashed, unfortunately. Towards the end she was on everything + oxygen + blood transfusion.

But yesterday, I pulled down my mask and kissed her forehead and when I pulled away, she kissed my forehead back... so at least she knew she was very loved
Also, while I definitely cried for the loss of my patient, I think it helped affirm that I’m at least interested in critical care. There was something about being able to be there for patients when they needed it the most and be able to show them amazing medicine and love at the same time...

although I do wonder if that’s how @twelvetigers feels about her specific job sometimes

• Love
I don’t have to worry about if I’m doing this or that or if I should have tried this drug or that treatment or or or... some people enjoy the ‘figuring out’ but I just tend to fret about it. I know I’m doing a good job and I’m doing it right and there’s no questions, I can just focus on loving a (usually) sweet old dog or kitty as much as I can in the little bit of time I have. Otherwise it’s about the owners and making sure they are comfortable.

The simplicity allows for some emotions, and it means I don’t lay awake at night worrying about anything. Well. Not anything to do with my job, anyway.

Euth is a big part of ER medicine and making it as peaceful and easy for clients as you can is definitely and important gift to have/give. It can feel like a loss sometimes, of course, but sometimes it’s just the last alleviation of pain you can offer, and it’s definitely a gift in that’s case.

• Love
Wasn't planning on worry about job searching until after NAVLE but there's a virtual career fair this month and I was like... I should probably go ahead sign up for that. Well, now I got an email from a place that wants to set up a time to "talk about opportunities" and I already feel overwhelmed.

But once my patient goes home in an hour or so, another rotation is down. Onto primary care and looking forward to a week and change of no morning treatments.

Wasn't planning on worry about job searching until after NAVLE but there's a virtual career fair this month and I was like... I should probably go ahead sign up for that. Well, now I got an email from a place that wants to set up a time to "talk about opportunities" and I already feel overwhelmed.
Just do it as practice. You don’t have to land a job yet, so hopefully that takes some of the pressure off?

But once my patient goes home in an hour or so, another rotation is down. Onto primary care and looking forward to a week and change of no morning treatments.
I... might’ve looked at the first draft of the VIRMP internship list today (first day it was published)... ****’s getting real now... very scary

• Wow
I went in today for my first soft tissue surgery. Granted covid made things way less work than normal (no treatments and only there for the actual surgery) but WOW I could happily do this for the rest of my life :love:

• Love
I went in today for my first soft tissue surgery. Granted covid made things way less work than normal (no treatments and only there for the actual surgery) but WOW I could happily do this for the rest of my life :love:
I’d love surgery a lot more if there were significantly less orthopedics involved in it!

alas

• Haha