Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just don't do the orthopedic surgeries?

I think she means in terms of speciality surgery...where at least in training, learning ortho is part of it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think she means in terms of speciality surgery...where at least in training, learning ortho is part of it

Sure, I figured. Just dont do ortho after residency. Our soft tissue peeps look at bones and say, "Nope!" and bunt them across the hospital like a beach ball.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sure, I figured. Just dont do ortho after residency. Our soft tissue peeps look at bones and say, "Nope!" and bunt them across the hospital like a beach ball.
hahaha that’s still at least 4 years of orthopedic surgery and I just don’t have it in my soul to do that.

I’m very satisfied with the occasional ER surgery as it comes in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I don't know about all surgeons but private practice surgeons still do everything, including bones. I'm sure big specialty hospitals can have that distinguished as well as academia but for the regular surgeon who is the only surgeon for one or more practices, they do what comes in, and boy a lot of that is TPLOs

Reactions: 1 user
Supposed to be doing my first spay tomorrow as long as nothing goes wrong like my patient no showing (which would be highly unlikely but my brain always like to think about 'what could go wrong'). Eep. Feels like that came out of nowhere. Practiced suturing last night just to make sure I still know how. :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I mean I don't know about all surgeons but private practice surgeons still do everything, including bones. I'm sure big specialty hospitals can have that distinguished as well as academia but for the regular surgeon who is the only surgeon for one or more practices, they do what comes in, and boy a lot of that is TPLOs

I guess I've just never seen that. In every practice I've been in (1 doctor with boarded surgeons coming in to an 18 doctor place that does almost everything in house and no one is boarded, and various sized practices in between) , if a surgeon (boarded or not) doesnt like something, they dont do it and they send the client to someone who does.

The small private specialty hospital I did my internship at only had two surgeons. One did a surgical oncology fellowship and strongly preferred soft tissue surgery and the other surgeon preferred ortho. They worked pretty opposite schedules so we were able to schedule most consults to match what they preferred, but the soft tissue-loving surgeon still had one or two TPLOs a week and the ortho-loving surgeon still had emergency GDVs and pyos. If it was something they absolutely hated they might have asked the other to take it but I don’t remember that actually happening. I don’t think corporate would have wanted them sending business away. The exception was total hip replacements. You have to do a lot to be good at those and all the private practice surgeons had a gentleman’s agreement to just refer those to the teaching hospital in the state.

The small private specialty hospital I did my internship at only had two surgeons. One did a surgical oncology fellowship and strongly preferred soft tissue surgery and the other surgeon preferred ortho. They worked pretty opposite schedules so we were able to schedule most consults to match what they preferred, but the soft tissue-loving surgeon still had one or two TPLOs a week and the ortho-loving surgeon still had emergency GDVs and pyos. If it was something they absolutely hated they might have asked the other to take it but I don’t remember that actually happening. I don’t think corporate would have wanted them sending business away. The exception was total hip replacements. You have to do a lot to be good at those and all the private practice surgeons had a gentleman’s agreement to just refer those to the teaching hospital in the state.
Even the teaching hospital is sometimes uncomfortable with total hips! One of our big ortho surgeons here has the other ortho surgeon do most of them because he admits he doesn't do them enough to feel like he's the best person for them to go to first and he doesn't want to practice on dogs for a procedure that's so important to do well. We also frequently get clients who request the FHNE over the total hip because the animal doesn't need a crazy range of motion (not athletic/working dog), it's a more expensive procedure, or because the animal has a factor that excludes them from the procedure (like mild skin infection from chronic allergies). He does do most of the JPS and TPO procedures though, plus obviously quite a few FHNEs.

Supposed to be doing my first spay tomorrow as long as nothing goes wrong like my patient no showing (which would be highly unlikely but my brain always like to think about 'what could go wrong'). Eep. Feels like that came out of nowhere. Practiced suturing last night just to make sure I still know how. :laugh:

So things did go wrong. But then they went right.

My original patient showed up in heat so we obviously rescheduled that one. My classmates heard and gifted me the other spay because one of them has done one and the other (who assisted me) has done half of one. They are my favorite people today tbh.

I'm very happy I got to do a spay. I did initially fail to realize when I successfully hooked the uterus though.

Reactions: 10 users
So things did go wrong. But then they went right.

My original patient showed up in heat so we obviously rescheduled that one. My classmates heard and gifted me the other spay because one of them has done one and the other (who assisted me) has done half of one. They are my favorite people today tbh.

I'm very happy I got to do a spay. I did initially fail to realize when I successfully hooked the uterus though.
Why did you have to reschedule the one in heat? We just do them here with a little extra backup and call it a good learning experience.

Why not reschedule? Safer for the patient, and it’s possible to find jobs in the real world where you can reschedule clients like that.
True, for us our patients are usually shelter animals and we have very tight windows to accomplish what we need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
NAVLE studying is clearly going well:

33D27F30-0327-447A-B0E7-7BC8562E3B50.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I think NAVLE studying is an unexplored meme gold mine for the right audience. Imagine how many memes there could be about freaking pig diarrhea alone!
I realized I never posted the memes my friend asked me to make about Cushings vs Addisons

CB852865-17A7-4B9B-8384-798766A136AC.jpeg
BD668400-30E8-4A50-B130-5B74CD7EC9B5.jpeg
E4802D0A-168E-4E28-BD15-7806DCA518AA.jpeg
A1925C13-674F-49FA-8A47-DBA545BCACA3.jpeg
6D5AD9C6-EB68-4AC9-AA5B-EB3CD276C13B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I realized I never posted the memes my friend asked me to make about Cushings vs Addisons

View attachment 318972View attachment 318973View attachment 318974View attachment 318975View attachment 318976

My knowledge grasp of adrenal endocrine disease is so poor that I couldnt even enjoy these memes cause neither addison's or Cushing's actually sticks with me. When I see it in person, it makes sense. When it goes home/to heaven, then poof, there goes the knowledge.

Advice at orientation this morning: "Take notes in rounds. Clinicians like that because it shows you're listening and wanting to learn".

...but taking notes actually distracts me from listening and learning, which is why I don't do it. :yeahright:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I think I'm cursed and chasing off all the patients. Feels like every rotation, even if it's typically busy, doesn't have much going on when I'm on it.

If we choose to put a positive spin on this I'm curing patients with my mere existence so that they don't need to come in. :p

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I think I'm cursed and chasing off all the patients. Feels like every rotation, even if it's typically busy, doesn't have much going on when I'm on it.

If we choose to put a positive spin on this I'm curing patients with my mere existence so that they don't need to come in. :p

Want to be on soft tissue surgery with me on my next block?

That was what most of my rotations were like too :laugh:

We are opposites because I’m attracting dumpster fires and lots of unfortunate rule out zoonotic animals.

ex: we had a distemper dog, a dog with brucellosis as the primary r/o, a dog with lepto as the primary r/o, and a 2 year old parvo dog, all in the hospital at the same time.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Nightmare of a humeral fracture revision with double plating, digging for old plates, screws and wires. There were two hours worth of contouring the plate. I hurt.
I still think those surgeries are so much better for the surgeons than the anesthesia people. I had to do anesthesia for a CT and then a bilateral SUBS placement. Just... standing in the corner like “... hello? are... are we almost done?”

I still think those surgeries are so much better for the surgeons than the anesthesia people. I had to do anesthesia for a CT and then a bilateral SUBS placement. Just... standing in the corner like “... hello? are... are we almost done?”
I felt awful for our anesthetist. What's worse is the service has another ridiculous surgery today and they put the same student on it. I feel so bad. But I asked them about it and they told her that it was because they trusted her so she said she can't complain.

I hear stuff like this and it makes me love our anesthesia service even more. The head of our anesthesia service has made it so much better the last few years.

Super appreciative of the 70-80 hour weeks were I spend so much of my time cleaning fecal disasters. Really feeling prepared for a career as a veterinary assistant after I graduate.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Super appreciative of the 70-80 hour weeks were I spend so much of my time cleaning fecal disasters. Really feeling prepared for a career as a veterinary assistant after I graduate.

One of my vet med besties did the math on how much money the school saves by having us act as assistants or techs (like 8 am treatments and such). The amount of money is astounding.

One of my vet med besties did the math on how much money the school saves by having us act as assistants or techs (like 8 am treatments and such). The amount of money is astounding.
Our school lost 3 million dollars when they had to kick the students out. The techs obviously couldn't handle the load alone and they had to decrease the number of patients a lot.

• Wow

i choked on my iced tea reading this lol

I felt awful for our anesthetist. What's worse is the service has another ridiculous surgery today and they put the same student on it. I feel so bad. But I asked them about it and they told her that it was because they trusted her so she said she can't complain.
That was me on anesthesia lol it's like, flattering, but also mentally and physically exhausting :laugh:

My stethoscope seems to have grown legs and walked away. Can't decide how long to wait and see if it turns up before I just cry and buy a new one. :yeahright:

PS: If anyone has suggestions for relatively cheap but sufficient stethoscopes, let me know. I don't want to shell out for a nice one again until I graduate in case my old one does in fact turn up.

Last edited:
  • Sad
My stethoscope seems to have grown legs and walked away. Can't decide how long to wait and see if it turns up before I just cry and buy a new one. :yeahright:

PS: If anyone has suggestions for relatively cheap but sufficient stethoscopes, let me know. I don't want to shell out for a nice one again until I graduate in case my old one does in fact turn up.
I think @PippyPony uses an MDF one? I think they’re a bit cheaper than a littmann but I’m not positive what model she uses.

That sucks. I was happy with my Littman Classic II; they're usually about $100 which I realize isn't super cheap, but it's cheaper than the fancier models. I'm sure there are even cheaper ones that would serve your purpose, but I thought I'd throw it out since people seem to gravitate to the more expensive Littmans but even with the classic, I could hear anything I needed to.

That sucks. I was happy with my Littman Classic II; they're usually about $100 which I realize isn't super cheap, but it's cheaper than the fancier models. I'm sure there are even cheaper ones that would serve your purpose, but I thought I'd throw it out since people seem to gravitate to the more expensive Littmans but even with the classic, I could hear anything I needed to.
I second this recommendation since I have the classic III :laugh:
Though still $$, I forgot how much cheaper than the cardio models mine had been

I think @PippyPony uses an MDF one? I think they’re a bit cheaper than a littmann but I’m not positive what model she uses.

Some of the MDF models are pretty cheap so very interested in what Pips uses and whether she likes it. But I won't tag her again because she doesn't need extra notifications.

My welch Allen was 135 and I love it

Some of the MDF models are pretty cheap so very interested in what Pips uses and whether she likes it. But I won't tag her again because she doesn't need extra notifications.
So I creeped around sdn and found this post with what one she has!

I basically did the same thing, for the same reason, except with a cheaper model for now.

Got a white MDF with rose gold finish because

1. It works just fine; I can hear everything we've needed to hear so far without any issues (the MDF has earbuds you can swap out, which is nice for getting a decent seal)

2. It's pretty and I like it

Another plus: I'm the only one in my class with this one, so it does not get lost/confused with someone else's...and if it was stolen I would know exactly who took it because it's not exactly subtle :laugh:

I figured that a stethoscope is a nice graduation gift, too, if it turns out I need something with more oomph when I get out of school.