Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of you. One of you.

Apparently the readmission committee met on Monday and let me back in, no meeting necessary.
Yay bats! Happy for you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yay! I'm taking a welfare judging elective this fall and part of our grade is attending the consortium! I'm so happy that it is here this year---maybe we will meet up! :D

Are you competing then too, or helping set up!? It's so cool you get to see the behind the scenes.

We can totes meet up! It's the weekend before Thanksgiving break, so I might be driving myself (since it's 1/2 of the way home), so we can get definitely find a time to meet up! We'll probably go to the Saturday night get together too since we won't have testing the following week

Members don't see this ad :)

tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 users
So summer's basically a third over, and I've gotten nothing done that I had told myself I would. What have you all managed to accomplish (or not accomplish) so far

Reactions: 4 users
So summer's basically a third over, and I've gotten nothing done that I had told myself I would. What have you all managed to accomplish (or not accomplish) so far
I got my jaw cut & broken open in multiple places, so does that count?? Umm other than that? Nothing really. Had some family come in late May/ early June, visited family in Chicago after that. Other than that, stalking SDN and catching up on SPN. :laugh:

1. Work
2. Finished class (10 weeks later than I should have but it's done now)
3. Should have a million things here but it's allllll been put off

On the upside, I am very excited to meet my class and start school! Coopah is supah excited today!

Reactions: 2 users

About 200 pages left in Winds of Winter with 23ish days left before season 7 of Game of Thrones is out.

Still loving my job.... did an open heart procedure on a pig last week that was pretty awesome.
I'm starting a weight loss diet Monday called Ideal Protein... anyone heard of it? My goal is to lose enough to be able to join the army.. I have to lose a lot but I'm determined to live a healthier life and feel better. I've not always been overweight, but have gained probably 100+ pounds in about 4-5 years. I'm tired of being looked at and always feel bad at family gathering. Here's to a new me. Hopefully I can put my hard work ethic to this and get it done!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still loving my job.... did an open heart procedure on a pig last week that was pretty awesome.
I'm starting a weight loss diet Monday called Ideal Protein... anyone heard of it? My goal is to lose enough to be able to join the army.. I have to lose a lot but I'm determined to live a healthier life and feel better. I've not always been overweight, but have gained probably 100+ pounds in about 4-5 years. I'm tired of being looked at and always feel bad at family gathering. Here's to a new me. Hopefully I can put my hard work ethic to this and get it done!!!
Nice work cheathac! I've never heard of Ideal Protein but I googled it and it looks interesting! Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Nice work cheathac! I've never heard of Ideal Protein but I googled it and it looks interesting! Best of luck!

Thanks!!!!!! I will keep you guys posted.. I don't even wanna wait till Monday, I want to start ASAP!! Yeah it puts you in a ketosis state so that your body starts using the carb storage for fuel. And for the first couple weeks you can't exercise since you can lose muscle mass due to having a huge calorie deficit. I've seen most people say they've lost 3-5 lbs/week pretty consistently so that gives me some hope!!

Thanks!!!!!! I will keep you guys posted.. I don't even wanna wait till Monday, I want to start ASAP!! Yeah it puts you in a ketosis state so that your body starts using the carb storage for fuel. And for the first couple weeks you can't exercise since you can lose muscle mass due to having a huge calorie deficit. I've seen most people say they've lost 3-5 lbs/week pretty consistently so that gives me some hope!!
Thats what post jaw surgery has been like for me! I can't get enough food in, and I've lost 4.5 lbs since Wednesday morning... :O

Man oh man. Hardly anything except working a ton. I love the GP I'm working in but when I was hired in, I let them know I was hoping to work around 30 hours a week. Reason being that I wanted to enjoy summer and try to plan some fun things. I've been consistently putting in 45 hour weeks. Not sure how to back out now. I do however, have a two week vacation in July to visit my brother in California so I feel like I can't complain. I'm extremely torn about staying on very part time (like every other Saturday or Sunday) at this practice while in school. So often we stay 1-2 hours past close to accommodate everything that comes through the door and I just don't think that will work with school.

Also the lumbosacral region of my back has been killing me for about 3 months despite NSAIDs, better shoes, massage therapy, and laser therapy. Going to the doctor on July 5th to get that sorted out hopefully.

Sorry for the whines frands.

Prolonged ketosis can do a number on your body systems, so while it's effective for weight loss just know what you're doing beyond what the program says. I'd suggest doing light weight full body exercise those first couple weeks anyway, cause even if you're not building muscle you're at least maintaining what you got. And if anything it gets you used to a new lifestyle. Also you don't want to drop weight too quickly, your skin needs time to adjust. Keep up the good work cheat, let us know how it goes :highfive:

Reactions: 6 users
Man oh man. Hardly anything except working a ton. I love the GP I'm working in but when I was hired in, I let them know I was hoping to work around 30 hours a week. Reason being that I wanted to enjoy summer and try to plan some fun things. I've been consistently putting in 45 hour weeks. Not sure how to back out now. I do however, have a two week vacation in July to visit my brother in California so I feel like I can't complain. I'm extremely torn about staying on very part time (like every other Saturday or Sunday) at this practice while in school. So often we stay 1-2 hours past close to accommodate everything that comes through the door and I just don't think that will work with school.

Also the lumbosacral region of my back has been killing me for about 3 months despite NSAIDs, better shoes, massage therapy, and laser therapy. Going to the doctor on July 5th to get that sorted out hopefully.

Sorry for the whines frands.

Tell us more about your trip plans! As for work, you need to do what's best for you Wally. Talk to them about it and remind them. If they don't want to work with you, then leave (on good terms). Hope your back feels better

Tell us more about your trip plans! As for work, you need to do what's best for you Wally. Talk to them about it and remind them. If they don't want to work with you, then leave (on good terms). Hope your back feels better

I would definitely keep everything on good terms with them! The practice owner and associate veterinarians have been wonderful taking me on for a summer when I was possibly moving out of state for veterinary school, and additionally they have been excellent to my fur kids (who are medically challenged little buggers). I'm planning to work the heavier weeks until my trip and before leaving will discuss having fewer hours during August, up until school starts.

For my trip... my boyfriend and I are driving out to California just as we did two years ago, but this time are bringing one of our dogs! We will be staying with my brother in San Luis Obispo. He will actually be in Vegas during the first part of our trip so we will be using his house as a place to stay. Then when he returns, we plan to camp at 2-3 nights. My boyfriend and I will also travel down to Los Angeles to visit some friends in bands there (leaving Ollie pup with my brother). Pretty freaking excited for this trip... <3

(I think she meant a Dance with Dragons because I also had a moment of "WHAT" lol)
Hahahaha I HOPE!!! Cause that would have totally just changed my rest-of-the-summer plans!

Ooh what were you planning on accomplishing? I keep on feeling like I should be more productive, but then I realize I can't do a whole lot right now- no sense in packing when I still have another month here.

I'm trying to get into some good habits before school starts. I just finished week 3 of 8 of Couch to 5k, which still puts me closer to the couch than a 5k but I'm getting there! I plan on starting with the Headspace app (meditation) on Monday. I've been cooking pretty healthfully and made my first slow cooker meal (Indian chickpeas. pretty good) this week.

I've also been using my free time to make some less healthy things, like a key lime pie and pineapple sorbet. Oh, and I tried French braiding my hair today. It looks like something died on the back of my head :laugh:

Ooh what were you planning on accomplishing? I keep on feeling like I should be more productive, but then I realize I can't do a whole lot right now- no sense in packing when I still have another month here.

I'm trying to get into some good habits before school starts. I just finished week 3 of 8 of Couch to 5k, which still puts me closer to the couch than a 5k but I'm getting there! I plan on starting with the Headspace app (meditation) on Monday. I've been cooking pretty healthfully and made my first slow cooker meal (Indian chickpeas. pretty good) this week.

I've also been using my free time to make some less healthy things, like a key lime pie and pineapple sorbet. Oh, and I tried French braiding my hair today. It looks like something died on the back of my head :laugh:

Things that didn't involve spending a week lying on the couch with the phone and doing nothing lol. Books, games, foreign language, drawing. All the stuffs...but alas.

You sound like you're productive though, I'm gonna come hang with you and do all the things :thumbup:

Prolonged ketosis can do a number on your body systems, so while it's effective for weight loss just know what you're doing beyond what the program says. I'd suggest doing light weight full body exercise those first couple weeks anyway, cause even if you're not building muscle you're at least maintaining what you got. And if anything it gets you used to a new lifestyle. Also you don't want to drop weight too quickly, your skin needs time to adjust. Keep up the good work cheat, let us know how it goes :highfive:

It looks like it's a medically-supervised program, so it's probably best to follow what's prescribed or at least ask before changing things up. But yeah, totally agree on the importance of researching/learning stuff yourself.

Sounds like an awesome step, @cheathac! Good luck with it!

Things that didn't involve spending a week lying on the couch with the phone and doing nothing lol. Books, games, foreign language, drawing. All the stuffs...but alas.

You sound like you're productive though, I'm gonna come hang with you and do all the things :thumbup:
you draw?!
(also, what foreign language you tryin to learn?)

You are welcome to come and do all the things. And also eat chickpeas. It turns out that a 7 qt crock pot makes a lot of food!

yaaaaaassssssss

You'll get there!!! Can you braid on other people too?

Hmm that's a good idea. I can make really pretty braided bread, but stuff on the back of my head is an entirely different story.

Hmm that's a good idea. I can make really pretty braided bread, but stuff on the back of my head is an entirely different story.
I first learned to braid on other people and then figured it out on myself (was easier for me personally because I had the general idea down) but I know people who can only do it on themselves and not anyone else (including my sister)
Are you trying to do it in front of a mirror? That helped me a teeny bit at the beginning (not a mirror in the back, but in the front, somehow helped me a little)

I first learned to braid on other people and then figured it out on myself (was easier for me personally because I had the general idea down) but I know people who can only do it on themselves and not anyone else (including my sister)
Are you trying to do it in front of a mirror? That helped me a teeny bit at the beginning (not a mirror in the back, but in the front, somehow helped me a little)

Yeah, somehow the mirror helps. I just need to keep watching youtube videos and practicing! Part of the issue is that I'm impatient, and another part is that my hair is very curly, so it likes to go every which way.

that feel....

Me French braiding: Take a little piece of hair, and cross it over. Take a little piece of hair, and cross it over. TAKE A HUGE CHUNK OF HAIR AND JUST SHOVE IT SOMEWHERE.

Reactions: 8 users
Me French braiding: Take a little piece of hair, and cross it over. Take a little piece of hair, and cross it over. TAKE A HUGE CHUNK OF HAIR AND JUST SHOVE IT SOMEWHERE.
Once did a lace braid that went from the top of my head, down towards my ear, then crossed over the back of my head to below my other ear. SO FREAKING TEDIOUS. I was so done. I had to do it twice because it ended too high up and was like on my ear and i was just so done and my arms started hurting from like an hour of braiding hahaha

It turns out that a 7 qt crock pot makes a lot of food!
first time I soaked/cooked black beans in my crock pot instead of buying the canned stuff... I ate beans for like a week. underestimated exactly how much I was making. :confused:
me french braiding: tie arms into knots behind head trying to part the damn hair. give up immediately.

Reactions: 5 users
Once did a lace braid that went from the top of my head, down towards my ear, then crossed over the back of my head to below my other ear. SO FREAKING TEDIOUS. I was so done. I had to do it twice because it ended too high up and was like on my ear and i was just so done and my arms started hurting from like an hour of braiding hahaha

Annnnnd now I'm googling braids that I will never, ever do. (Sounds gorgeous, by the way!)

first time I soaked/cooked black beans in my crock pot instead of buying the canned stuff... I ate beans for like a week. underestimated exactly how much I was making. :confused:

me french braiding: tie arms into knots behind head trying to part the damn hair. give up immediately.

IMG_7333.GIF

We've been so busy at work that I've basically done nothing else. I feel like I want to do something besides work all the time, but summer is going so darn fast. The kitten I found is keeping me busy, but she's been a lot of fun. A kitten wasn't exactly in my plan, but I think the universe knew I needed her lol.

Well, I can't draw for ****, so you to me you probably are a good drawer, even if you don't think so.
ooooooo impending trip!? WHERE YA GOING?!?

I'm going down. I'm yelling timberrrr

I love braiding :) Worst part of cutting my hair short this year...and one of the main reasons I'm growing it out again haha. I learned to braid on my family's horses and got pretty dang good at it. Was in charge of braiding almost everyone's hair for marching band/color guard in high school because my braids were the only ones that lasted the whole night.

I was just thinking of how lazy I'm being when I read this. I feel like I still have a ton of stuff to do before my move but playing video games is so much more fun... I have two trips next month I'm super excited for, but that also means less time to accomplish stuff.

Are you doing the army vet scholarship program?

Are you doing the army vet scholarship program?

I'm honestly thinking about it. I know it's pretty competitive and I doubt I'll get it but I'd like to at least be able to qualify to apply! I looked into it and they have a pretty good Lab Animal Residency program after spending about 2 years on your first assignment. So it takes longer than just doing a residency after vet school, but I love my country and I'd like to be able to serve in that way. If anything, I might enlist in active duty after vet school after applying a few times to the HPSP.