Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a dumb thing but I have to fill out a student survey within the next couple days and I can't decide what my hometown is.
I'd say put the town you have the most emotional attachment to. Like for me, I'd put the place I grew up in and went to school in, because that I consider my hometown, though I did only move about two months ago...

Members don't see this ad.

It's a dumb thing but I have to fill out a student survey within the next couple days and I can't decide what my hometown is.
I'd say put the town you have the most emotional attachment to. Like for me, I'd put the place I grew up in and went to school in, because that I consider my hometown, though I did only move about two months ago...

Or you could say you're from Timbuktu

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man. Ours, I **** you not, asked, "Where do you consider home?"

As a transplanted immigrant military brat, the damn question caused a level of introspection I know they weren't expecting.

Reactions: 10 users
Or you could say you're from Timbuktu

You should tell them Hell

I started with two options and couldn't decide. Let's not add more choices! :p

Yeah, I'm just not sure though. Town #1 I lived in for most of my life--from the time I was 5 until I was 17. I moved around several times but stayed in that same town and went to school there K-12. Town #2 I moved to in 2011 and have lived there until a couple of months ago. I feel like I'm "from" both places but I gotta pick one.

Yeah, I'm just not sure though. Town #1 I lived in for most of my life--from the time I was 5 until I was 17. I moved around several times but stayed in that same town and went to school there K-12. Town #2 I moved to in 2011 and have lived there until a couple of months ago. I feel like I'm "from" both places but I gotta pick one.
I'd say prob town 1 but town 2 does have a good case as being your hometown. Could just mash them together and say you're from like South Lake :laugh:
(Or the opposite mash)

I'd say prob town 1 but town 2 does have a good case as being your hometown. Could just mash them together and say you're from like South Lake :laugh:
(Or the opposite mash)

If I pick town #2 I may be the only one from there. If I pick town #1 I'm pretty sure there will several other people from there. What if I want to be unique? :p

Also, I thought you said you graduated from high school in town 1? But you're the same HS grad year as me..?

If I pick town #2 I may be the only one from there. If I pick town #1 I'm pretty sure there will several other people from there. What if I want to be unique? :p

My high school town is literally across the street from MSU. About as non-exciting/unique as you get!

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't stay away? ;)

I told myself I'm not allowed to complain about it o_O but I moved back last week and it has been awesome! It looks like lots of new things have been going up in the area so I'm looking forward to some exploring. If you have any suggestions let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh man. Ours, I **** you not, asked, "Where do you consider home?"

As a transplanted immigrant military brat, the damn question caused a level of introspection I know they weren't expecting.

I always hate when this question comes up. I have the same issue Trilt does. I just say the place where I went to high school or where I live now because I'm more attached to those places.

I told myself I'm not allowed to complain about it o_O but I moved back last week and it has been awesome! It looks like lots of new things have been going up in the area so I'm looking forward to some exploring. If you have any suggestions let me know!

I wish I had suggestions! But I barely leave my house unless it's to go to the lab or just completely leave the area. :laugh:

I've felt all misplaced this week when every person we meet in orientation asks where we're from. I say, born in *state 1* but also grew up in *state 2*. And then they say, oh, welcome to Ohio! "Um, actually I've been here for 8 years." It's confusing. Last couple of times I just said I'm from Ohio and didn't get questions, haha.

I feel you, I lived in city #1 until I was 18, but then we moved in 2010 and I lived in city #2 from 2010-2016. So if I say I'm from city #2 inevitably I get the "oh, where did you go to high school?" question and have to explain I didn't grow up there, but if I say I'm from city #1 people assume that's where my parents are, when actually the last couple times I went back there I felt more like a tourist. I usually say I'm from city #2 since that's where I consider home now (and it's the state I'm considered a resident of for tuition purposes...), but if it's someone I know a little better that's asking, I'll explain "I'm originally from x but most recently from y."

To further complicate things, city #2 is where I went to undergrad and then continued living for two years after I graduated, but my parents actually live in a different town 15 minutes outside of there, that most people not from the area have never heard of. So I say I'm going home to city #2, but actually I'm going to city #3 and just spending a lot of time in city #2. :laugh:

My cat has been vocalizing extra lately and was finally caught in the act of urinating outside of the box (by my mother...who threatened to turn her loose outside). So I took her with me to work yesterday and ran a urinalysis on her which was all over the place. She has a raging UTI for the second time in two months (probably doesn't help that she's a FIV+ kitty) and lots of crystals. Poor thing. Even with my nice employee discount she was a little pricy yesterday and gets to be a Urinary SO cat for the rest of her life. But it really did happen at the perfect time considering we get a hefty prescription diet discount once we start vet school in August. :happy:

Reactions: 2 users
My cat has been vocalizing extra lately and was finally caught in the act of urinating outside of the box (by my mother...who threatened to turn her loose outside). So I took her with me to work yesterday and ran a urinalysis on her which was all over the place. She has a raging UTI for the second time in two months (probably doesn't help that she's a FIV+ kitty) and lots of crystals. Poor thing. Even with my nice employee discount she was a little pricy yesterday and gets to be a Urinary SO cat for the rest of her life. But it really did happen at the perfect time considering we get a hefty prescription diet discount once we start vet school in August. :happy:
I'm glad that you were able to get her in to the vet! I bet she feels so much better now! I can't wait to meet her come August! :love:

So I love day to day planners, but the kind I've always gotten have the cheap wire-y bindings. (Like this)

IMG_2609.JPG

But they always break within a couple months. Does anyone have any good recommendations/ experiences for day to day planners?? Google search is being... uncooperative.

So I love day to day planners, but the kind I've always gotten have the cheap wire-y bindings. (Like this)

View attachment 220804

But they always break within a couple months. Does anyone have any good recommendations/ experiences for day to day planners?? Google search is being... uncooperative.
Not sure if they have a day by day calendar but moleskin is my favorite brand of notebook and holds up really well! I have a weekly planner I'm using to keep track of appointments this year :) (which conveniently starts July 1st!)

Not sure if they have a day by day calendar but moleskin is my favorite brand of notebook and holds up really well! I have a weekly planner I'm using to keep track of appointments this year :) (which conveniently starts July 1st!)

That is like the OCD dream

View attachment 220804

I love Leuchtturm notebooks. I use a blank dot grid one for my bullet journaling but they have daily planners too
Daily Planner 2017, English – LEUCHTTURM1917

View attachment 220804

I switched this year to a Passion Planner and have really liked it. It lays flat without a spiral, so it's nice for a lefty like me and has some goal-oriented activities as well. If you don't want to commit (or spend $30 on a planner), they offer printable PDFs for free online as well.

A little over one month to go ladies and germs (for most of us, 1.5 for crazy MSU)

Reactions: 7 users
47ish days for us.... Lol. And I have to go through orientation all over again.

Reactions: 3 users
47ish days for us.... Lol. And I have to go through orientation all over again.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Going back in, I don't really know this batch of people that well except for the limited time TAing their first year. It's okay because I am not a social butterfly, but still, I have to feel out personalities without that bonding time now.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. Going back in, I don't really know this batch of people that well except for the limited time TAing their first year. It's okay because I am not a social butterfly, but still, I have to feel out personalities without that bonding time now.

That's a good point. I wasn't that close to 20 as a whole so this would be a good option for me to get to know the 21 group on a better foot.

Silver linings.

Reactions: 9 users
63 days for Oregon State! I can't ever decide if I love or hate the quarter system.

ugh health insurance is such a cluster****. I'm pretty sure me and my family will qualify for medicaid, but we aren't moving to PA until mid august (around the same time that I will stop working my job) and PA wont let me apply till then. This doesn't give enough time to actually get the insurance before the end of august which is when penn needs to have me sign the waiver by or I will be enrolled in their health insurance. I'd be fine signing us up for university health insurance for the month or so until medicaid would probably kick in, but apparently the university insurance can only be bought for the entire year and would be nearly 14k for the entire family!

luckily ACA still exists so it looks like we can sign up through healthcare.gov for a plan which *can* be cancelled if and when medicaid is approved.

ugh health insurance is such a cluster****. I'm pretty sure me and my family will qualify for medicaid, but we aren't moving to PA until mid august (around the same time that I will stop working my job) and PA wont let me apply till then. This doesn't give enough time to actually get the insurance before the end of august which is when penn needs to have me sign the waiver by or I will be enrolled in their health insurance. I'd be fine signing us up for university health insurance for the month or so until medicaid would probably kick in, but apparently the university insurance can only be bought for the entire year and would be nearly 14k for the entire family!

luckily ACA still exists so it looks like we can sign up through healthcare.gov for a plan which *can* be cancelled if and when medicaid is approved.

I'm in a similar situation (but it's just me and a different state). Just watch out for how long it can take to get insurance through your state or healthcare.gov. I was told it could be up to 45 days (but as few as 15?), and I can't even apply until I move states so I'm pretty much SOL in terms of getting the waiver in time. Definitely check your school's requirements- I have to be in network close to the school, so getting a plan where I live now doesn't look possible for me. (But if you know differently, please let me know!)

It might make sense for your wife and kids to go on an ACA plan and for you to do the Penn plan for a year, and then all do Medicaid. Worth doing the math, at least.

I hope it works out for you! This all makes me want to :bang:

My wife just got approved for Medicaid. I did not qualify FYI. My wife is working, though, so you might qualify if your wife is not working. It was relatively easy and quick, but that's because she's pregnant and they rush it due to that. So, if you're thinking about having any more kids...

My wife just got approved for Medicaid. I did not qualify FYI. My wife is working, though, so you might qualify if your wife is not working. It was relatively easy and quick, but that's because she's pregnant and they rush it due to that. So, if you're thinking about having any more kids...

my wife works for herself, but her yearly income is well below what would qualify for medicaid four a family of 4 so we should be good there. and we are definitely NOT thinking of having any more kids. I figure having 2 kids while going through veterinary school is quite enough! I actually just got surgery last month specifically to not have any more children. During the procedure me and the doctor talked about all the different ways to castrate farm animals :)

my wife works for herself, but her yearly income is well below what would qualify for medicaid four a family of 4 so we should be good there. and we are definitely NOT thinking of having any more kids. I figure having 2 kids while going through veterinary school is quite enough! I actually just got surgery last month specifically to not have any more children. During the procedure me and the doctor talked about all the different ways to castrate farm animals :)

:rofl: that's hilarious! I think 2 is probably plenty haha. Gotta love the current state of our insurance system.

:rofl: that's hilarious! I think 2 is probably plenty haha. Gotta love the current state of our insurance system.
Can confirm, 2 is more than enough

Just got our orientation schedule!!! Wow this summer is really flying by. Excited but nervous!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys have a recommendation for a good, reliable and affordable wireless router?

Out of curiosity, why did you not qualify?

Out of curiosity, why did you not qualify?

They didn't give an exact reason, but I think it's because they have a different income standard for a working age male than a pregnant female (i.e. A pregnant female can be making more than a male and still qualify). Since my wife is working I believe our income was to high for me to qualify but she still did.