Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woah, that’s perfect. Some musically inclined vet students need to get together and make a music video out of this. No lyric changes necessary!

That is what I was thinking too.

Members don't see this ad.

Random thought while studying/making a quizlet. Am I the only one pretty grossed out by the human side of medicine but will happily go elbow deep dissecting an animal cadaver or become easily captivated by animal pathology cases? I like to add pictures to my quizlet and looked up cellulitis only to see allll the human cellulitis pictures. I know we're just another species, but...no thanks. :vomit:

Reactions: 1 user
Random thought while studying/making a quizlet. Am I the only one pretty grossed out by the human side of medicine but will happily go elbow deep dissecting an animal cadaver or become easily captivated by animal pathology cases? I like to add pictures to my quizlet and looked up cellulitis only to see allll the human cellulitis pictures. I know we're just another species, but...no thanks. :vomit:
Whereas on my side, if I never have to take a scalpel to a dead cat again, it will be too soon. Give me humans any day, I 100% do not have what it takes to be a vet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Humans are groce

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly the reason I am not going into human med of any sort. Seeing blood on another person that’s more than a little paper cut? Oh **** no. Watching a dog get a leg amp? SIGN ME THE **** UP. I also used to work in an orthodontic office and would have to look in peoples mouths and take pictures and impressions. :barf:

Exactly the reason I am not going into human med of any sort. Seeing blood on another person that’s more than a little paper cut? Oh **** no. Watching a dog get a leg amp? SIGN ME THE **** UP. I also used to work in an orthodontic office and would have to look in peoples mouths and take pictures and impressions. :barf:
Well yeah, teeth are just gross. *shudder*

Just lurking but AGREE 100% no questions asked. SO just had surgery and ended up with nausea and subsequent hurling ensued...not sure I can deal with having kids and taking care of things like that...animal hurling is fine though!

. Watching a dog get a leg amp? SIGN ME THE **** UP.
YES. I’ve somehow found myself assisting (as in holding up the leg during the amputation) almost everytime at the clinic I work at over the summers. It’s actually a pretty intense finger endurance test because she has me support the whole weight of the leg by the very tip of the toes. It’s oddly relieving when the leg is finally released from its captor. :laugh:
Just lurking but AGREE 100% no questions asked. SO just had surgery and ended up with nausea and subsequent hurling ensued...not sure I can deal with having kids and taking care of things like that...animal hurling is fine though!
Oh, I agree! I made a reputation for myself as a kid as the one who would always flee the scene if any vomiting was involved. No, no, no.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh, I agree! I made a reputation for myself as a kid as the one who would always flee the scene if any vomiting was involved. No, no, no.
Nope nope nope
If someone else vomits, I will vomit as well if I don’t GTFO
Still do this. Also vomit when I am exposed to vomit from any species. Also sometimes vomit when I see worms.

Being a tech was fun; parasitology is going to be more fun. My friends are already looking forward to seeing how many times they can trigger me to run out of the room :lame: (it's ok. I'll just stay and puke on them and that will stop that nonsense.)

Reactions: 4 users
I don't wanna go to school tomorrow :help:
Meeeeee too. Having some real end-of-break anxiety. Probably doesn't help that I did exactly zero work while I was off school.

I don't wanna go to school tomorrow :help:

I feel ya bro. Passed Neuro Friday by the skin of my teeth. Anatomy and population medicine exams tomorrow. Renal physio quiz the day after with two more exams on Thursday and I have two papers to write. And I got bitched at today by the Anatomy professor for not having time to read the entirety of the 1500 power point slides and textbook to find one hidden bit of info that he couldn't pinpoint where the answer was. Isn't veterinary school great*? (mental note: 42 days til freedom. We can do this...somehow.)

* Remember a year ago when we were shiny and new without the 1,000 yard stare of veteran soldiers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel ya bro. Passed Neuro Friday by the skin of my teeth. Anatomy and population medicine exams tomorrow. Renal physio quiz the day after with two more exams on Thursday and I have two papers to write. And I got bitched at today by the Anatomy professor for not having time to read the entirety of the 1500 power point slides and textbook to find one hidden bit of info that he couldn't pinpoint where the answer was. Isn't veterinary school great*? (mental note: 42 days til freedom. We can do this...somehow.)

* Remember a year ago when we were shiny and new without the 1,000 yard stare of veteran soldiers?
Oh god, I still have three more weeks of Neuro, I don't think it will ever end. I do remember that, I can sometimes get that feeling back when I get out and do something crazy like go climb a few mountains over break*. Chin up buddy, you're almost there! I don't even understand how you guys manage to balance all the classes, I'm getting my ass kicked by just the one.

*It wasn't really a mountain hike, but I did see some crazy views!

First day back today and I have zero motivation to push through the rest of the semester.

There’s a series of events I have that are keeping me sane: flying home for Easter this weekend, Ski coming to visit me (the school) next weekend, my parents coming to visit me the weekend after, a Harry Potter themed party the Friday after that... and then nothing but death until May 11th. :sorry:

First day back today and I have zero motivation to push through the rest of the semester.

There’s a series of events I have that are keeping me sane: flying home for Easter this weekend, Ski coming to visit me (the school) next weekend, my parents coming to visit me the weekend after, a Harry Potter themed party the Friday after that... and then nothing but death until May 11th. :sorry:
Yeeeeeee

My mom is coming to visit this week and she is kind of high maintenance. Not exactly helpful this week.

My mom is coming to visit this week and she is kind of high maintenance. Not exactly helpful this week.
I feel your pain! I love my mother but she reaches the top of the list of "Most High Maintenance" as well as my sister. As for me...give me food and water and I'm 100% content.

I just found out today that I'm scheduled to have ankle surgery next week on Monday. Next week on Friday I have the block exam that covers the last 6 weeks of content.

I would very much appreciate it if the student affairs folks would get back to me as to what my options are if I'm not sufficiently recovered for that. While if I ended up having to remediate, I would have a good excuse, I'd really rather get a little flexibility on the exam date, y'know?

Also wondering if my mom is going to acknowledge the fact that I'm getting surgery or not. I emailed her before it was scheduled, so she's had a few days to ignore it by now. Or maybe she'll continue the odd trend of replying to emails via very brief mailed cards.

Oh god, I still have three more weeks of Neuro, I don't think it will ever end. I do remember that, I can sometimes get that feeling back when I get out and do something crazy like go climb a few mountains over break*. Chin up buddy, you're almost there! I don't even understand how you guys manage to balance all the classes, I'm getting my ass kicked by just the one.

*It wasn't really a mountain hike, but I did see some crazy views!
It makes me sad seeing how unpleasant neuro seems to be at other places. It's probably my favorite class in school right now and probably the only one that makes me feel like I'm capable of someday being a doctor who won't accidentally kill all of my patients. To be fair, our professor is an actual ray of sunshine, looks like old Luke Skywalker, and basically teaches you by revealing the neuro force to you until you magically understand it, but still. :(

It makes me sad seeing how unpleasant neuro seems to be at other places. It's probably my favorite class in school right now and probably the only one that makes me feel like I'm capable of someday being a doctor who won't accidentally kill all of my patients. To be fair, our professor is an actual ray of sunshine, looks like old Luke Skywalker, and basically teaches you by revealing the neuro force to you until you magically understand it, but still. :(

Immunology was like that for me. My undergrad professor was way harder and more thorough then our veterinary professor. He was also an amazing storyteller and kept the stories on topic for the material being presented. It was night and day compared to vet school. I understood the vet school version and enjoyed it, but most of my classmates hated it.

I disliked my neurology course, but I really liked actually treating the patients during my internship.

Last edited:
Sometimes, I love neuro lectures, there's this one guy with a nifty British accent who I love to listen to and everything makes perfect sense. But then the test comes around and he legitimately asked "What are the functional endpoints of sensory information?" With a box to put three answers in. 95% of the class got it wrong. No he won't change his answer because, and I quote "functional implies verb, I wasn't looking for anatomic structures, that should have been obvious." 95% interpreted that as the anatomic endpoints. But he wanted things like reflex arc. So yeah, I'm a little pissed off at neuro (and neuro people) right now. Just one example of everything that bugs me lol.

We had a mini taste of neuro in physiology and I liked it, but they were taught by sweet old men and a lady with a therapy dog she would often bring to class. So I got lots of pets in during neuro.

(Although one of the older professors brought their dog in to teach us how to do a neuro exam and was having me restrain it so he could teach us, and it growled and snapped at me so no more of that doggie for me, thank you)

Guys! I got AMAZING news today! I was selected to participate in the STAR (Students Training in Advanced Research) program this summer!!! I am going to be working on identifying the locust for IVDD in non-chondrodystrophic dogs in a genome-wide association study. Holy crap I can't believe they actually selected me! I have a job over the summer and if I get lucky a potential first author paper :eek::eek::eek:

@nyanko I get the whole summer in a lab with the best genetics professor ever :D

Reactions: 19 users
Guys! I got AMAZING news today! I was selected to participate in the STAR (Students Training in Advanced Research) program this summer!!! I am going to be working on identifying the locust for IVDD in non-chondrodystrophic dogs in a genome-wide association study. Holy crap I can't believe they actually selected me! I have a job over the summer and if I get lucky a potential first author paper :eek::eek::eek:

@nyanko I get the whole summer in a lab with the best genetics professor ever :D

That's awesome! I just found out my summer research project topic as well. I will be studying the effects of neurotrauma (induced via sonic wave) to either rats or mice and how the blood brain barrier functions (I'm assuming with fluorescence or seeing how molecules are able to be passed through). The PI didn't say anything about a first author paper, but I'm hoping I can do that!!!

That's awesome! I just found out my summer research project topic as well. I will be studying the effects of neurotrauma (induced via sonic wave) to either rats or mice and how the blood brain barrier functions (I'm assuming with fluorescence or seeing how molecules are able to be passed through). The PI didn't say anything about a first author paper, but I'm hoping I can do that!!!
Wooooo! Good job!

So Oklahoma State has been sorted into the "Harry Potter" style houses and they're focused on wellness, and I love the unity and excitement so much. I'm the c/o 2021 'person' for our house, and it's the cutest thing ever. Our mascot is the Buffalo. It's precious. It's already done so much for me for connecting me with different faculty members, people I usually don't talk to in my class, and people from other classes! We've had a lot of professors & clinicians expressing interest, and it makes me so happy that I helped make this beautiful thing that we get to share with future classes.

:biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
It's not technically organized by the school but I should be working on my masters capstone this summer. The plan is to see if we could use Chagas surveillance in community dogs to help inform how to target our vector control for kissing bugs. I may also get the opportunity to help with the design of a new shelter a town over (mainly giving input from an infectious disease control standpoint) and do some training classes for our staff on basic husbandry and things to look for in cruelty investigations for animals we don't intake as frequently (so anything that's not a dog or cat). We'll see.

It's not technically organized by the school but I should be working on my masters capstone this summer. The plan is to see if we could use Chagas surveillance in community dogs to help inform how to target our vector control for kissing bugs. I may also get the opportunity to help with the design of a new shelter a town over (mainly giving input from an infectious disease control standpoint) and do some training classes for our staff on basic husbandry and things to look for in cruelty investigations for animals we don't intake as frequently (so anything that's not a dog or cat). We'll see.
That sounds exciting!!!!

So Oklahoma State has been sorted into the "Harry Potter" style houses and they're focused on wellness, and I love the unity and excitement so much. I'm the c/o 2021 'person' for our house, and it's the cutest thing ever. Our mascot is the Buffalo. It's precious. It's already done so much for me for connecting me with different faculty members, people I usually don't talk to in my class, and people from other classes! We've had a lot of professors & clinicians expressing interest, and it makes me so happy that I helped make this beautiful thing that we get to share with future classes.

This alumni wants to be sorted!

Reactions: 2 users

Verry interdasting how the sorting worked out...
cedric
:horns: