Class of 2021 . . . how ya doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Verry interdasting how the sorting worked out...
cedric
:horns:
I saw that! I think it all worked out very well.

Members don't see this ad.

Got into a very cool externship program for the summer and I’m super excited!!

Reactions: 7 users
Guys! I got AMAZING news today! I was selected to participate in the STAR (Students Training in Advanced Research) program this summer!!! I am going to be working on identifying the locust for IVDD in non-chondrodystrophic dogs in a genome-wide association study. Holy crap I can't believe they actually selected me! I have a job over the summer and if I get lucky a potential first author paper :eek::eek::eek:

@nyanko I get the whole summer in a lab with the best genetics professor ever :D

Late, but congratulations! You'll learn a lot. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this week has been fun. I feel like I've been paying academically for going home to spend time with my family on Easter. We had two exams this week (technically four because each had a lab and lecture portion) and I felt awful about all of them. Despite putting in a lot of hours before both I felt like I knew absolutely nothing. I'm ready for summer. :(

Well, this week has been fun. I feel like I've been paying academically for going home to spend time with my family on Easter. We had two exams this week (technically four because each had a lab and lecture portion) and I felt awful about all of them. Despite putting in a lot of hours before both I felt like I knew absolutely nothing. I'm ready for summer. :(
Hang in there!! It gets really tough to get through this last slog, but you can do it. Then things get better in second year. Still a ton of material and the apathy train is very real, but still much better.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree completely. I am exhausted.
Hang in there!! It gets really tough to get through this last slog, but you can do it. Then things get better in second year. Still a ton of material and the apathy train is very real, but still much better.
Second year is like a light at the end of a very very long tunnel right now. :laugh: it’s been a really difficult semester

Second year is like a light at the end of a very very long tunnel right now. :laugh: it’s been a really difficult semester
Yah. Totally remember those feels. Finals week I remember clearing out my living room and spreading all my notes and books out and two computers for cross referencing material. I've not had to do that since. lol

That is always good to hear. So close yet so far!
We can do it!

Just going to say that I love my class. Even though I don't actually go to class with them. Lol. But they're awesome.

Tomorrow's going to be my first day back in classes since my surgery, if everything goes to plan. I am not excited about it. It'll just be a half day, but the trip there will not be fun - knee scooter to public transit to school, bleh. I'm going to be missing the first few anatomy labs because while I should totally be there for them, it's logistically problematic to be in there with a cast on, needing to keep the ankle elevated, etc.

It hasn't been a super easy recovery. Not horrible, but I have to have my ankle up and on ice for a while longer, and I'm still having to take a fair bit of pain medication to keep things tolerable. It's also just been really nice being out of school and there's definitely a part of me that doesn't want to go back.

Reactions: 4 users
Tomorrow's going to be my first day back in classes since my surgery, if everything goes to plan. I am not excited about it. It'll just be a half day, but the trip there will not be fun - knee scooter to public transit to school, bleh. I'm going to be missing the first few anatomy labs because while I should totally be there for them, it's logistically problematic to be in there with a cast on, needing to keep the ankle elevated, etc.

It hasn't been a super easy recovery. Not horrible, but I have to have my ankle up and on ice for a while longer, and I'm still having to take a fair bit of pain medication to keep things tolerable. It's also just been really nice being out of school and there's definitely a part of me that doesn't want to go back.
Good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
My priorities for the next 4.5 weeks.

Edit: there's supposed to be a picture of two sticky notes. One says, "Cheap bars," with a list; the other says, "Fourth Quarter: Midterms: April 13 and Finals: May 10+11".

Reactions: 2 users
A classmate posted this on facebook earlier this afternoon

30594672_10211247298289906_3467185463288438586_n.jpg
honestly relate so hard
My priorities for the next 4.5 weeks.

Edit: there's supposed to be a picture of two sticky notes. One says, "Cheap bars," with a list; the other says, "Fourth Quarter: Midterms: April 13 and Finals: May 10+11".
hahahahaha justifiable priorities!

8 weeks, and then 2 more for the stuff I missed for surgery. Sigh.

You also started earlier I believe. I get one week off then research time! I'm trying really hard to be excited but mostly I'm just tired.

Yeah i believe so. I totally understand...not doing research but have an externship program that taking up a large chunk of my summer. Part of me is really excited but part of me wants to crawl in bed and stay there for three months lol

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah i believe so. I totally understand...not doing research but have an externship program that taking up a large chunk of my summer. Part of me is really excited but part of me wants to crawl in bed and stay there for three months lol
I start work at Banfield the Monday after school gets out. I did not plan that well at all. :laugh:

Yay for being overachievers! I always regret my enthusiasm when it comes to actually doing the thing, then after it's over I'm glad I did it. I'm just trying to remember that bit right now.

Yay for being overachievers! I always regret my enthusiasm when it comes to actually doing the thing, then after it's over I'm glad I did it. I'm just trying to remember that bit right now.

Me. Always. Lol.

Been totally side tracked from studying between my wildlife team and the vmcas thread. Midterm in 22.5 hours? Not even worried. :rolleyes:

Did you clean the house yet?

That's legitimately happening Saturday afternoon/Sunday cause our landlady is showing the house and available rooms on Monday. Lol

That's legitimately happening Saturday afternoon/Sunday cause our landlady is showing the house and available rooms on Monday. Lol
Are you really procrastinating if you aren’t procrasticleaning? :laugh: I would be such a productive human if I could spend my entire life procrastinating...which is kind of an oxymoron.

:laugh: I would be such a productive human if I could spend my entire life procrastinating...which is kind of an oxymoron.

Amen to that. I am struggling so hard to find the motivation to study for Neuro right now. Literally anything is better than studying, except this is my worst class. If everything goes to plan, I will finally freak out enough to study at the last minute and get a totally predictable grade and the stress that goes with my poor life choices. :bang: Why do we do this to ourselves?

These last couple weeks since spring break have been a killer, mentally and emotionally. So I’ve been taking a bit of a break the last two days and am going back to what makes me happy. That includes hammocking and Pokemon Red. :laugh: I’ll study later tonight hahaha

6B092A18-0E22-4AA5-AC0E-9DD3E60D3489.jpeg
FA13B095-CD2A-4072-8CD8-463588EBD0CB.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
These last couple weeks since spring break have been a killer, mentally and emotionally. So I’ve been taking a bit of a break the last two days and am going back to what makes me happy. That includes hammocking and Pokemon Red. :laugh: I’ll study later tonight hahaha

View attachment 231967 View attachment 231968
YAS I LOVE POKEMON RED!!! Glad you're taking care of yourself!

I live across the street from the high school, so it’s pretty close! It’s a great lake !

I lived in the neighborhood just past it down Washington, just past Airport. Dr. Panciera lived over there too. If y’all even know who that is now - he’s had enough medical issues I don’t know if he shuffles around the vet school any more.

YAS I LOVE POKEMON RED!!! Glad you're taking care of yourself!
it is!!! I love Red, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Yellow and then Crystal. Having Pikachu follow you around was my favorite! :love:
I lived in the neighborhood just past it down Washington, just past Airport. Dr. Panciera lived over there too. If y’all even know who that is now - he’s had enough medical issues I don’t know if he shuffles around the vet school any more.
oh okay! I know where you’re talking about! And the name sounds familiar, but I don’t think I’ve had the privilege to meet him yet.

I love @WildZoo 's signature quote. It speaks to me on a deep, personal level (as I'm waiting for 4 new items of swag I ordered this week).

Dr. Panciera lived over there too. If y’all even know who that is now - he’s had enough medical issues I don’t know if he shuffles around the vet school any more.
I've actually heard of him! One of our pathology professors is friends with him and uses a ton of images from him in his lectures, and usually makes a point of gushing over what great pictures they are. :laugh:

View attachment 231967 View attachment 231968

I am kind of jealous. We went from 75 on Friday to several inches of snow and it is still coming down. :p

P.S. I also spent a good bit of yesterday playing Far Cry and Dark Souls with my son. It was good.

Welp, my immune system has failed me again. And I was really hoping to be super productive this week. :bang:

Who knew that chronic vet school-related stress actually wasn’t that good for you?

Welp, my immune system has failed me again. And I was really hoping to be super productive this week. :bang:

Who knew that chronic vet school-related stress actually wasn’t that good for you?
I've been sick for about 3 weeks now. It's great.

People! Stop trying to die! We're almost done and we need to be healthy to fully enjoy the time off, and go do cool things!

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh. It’s awful. And the sad thing is I was signed up to donate blood tomorrow. Apparently my body would prefer to keep its blood for now and they wouldn’t want my likely slightly hypovolemic blood anyway. :shrug: It was ironic because I was just reading the checklist on their website last night:
1. Feel good. (hahaha, nope)
2. Eat foods rich in iron (not eating so that’s out)
3. Drink extra water (barely able to sip water at this point)

People! Stop trying to die! We're almost done and we need to be healthy to fully enjoy the time off, and go do cool things!
You’re right! I’m trying to tell my body to stop trying to murder me but it insists. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users