Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not afraid of moving. I’ve picked up my life and moved many times, sometimes just a few hours away, sometimes to other countries. I’ve always lived somewhere warm or tropical so I think the mountains will be a nice change of scenery.

I’m afraid of getting there and failing. I know I’ve talked about this before and people have cautioned me on finding work/life balance but I think I’ll just be so scared of failing out that I’ll go into study overdrive. I’m intimidated by the fact that it won’t be as easy to be at the top of the class anymore. In undergrad there is a good mix of people. Some very motivated, some not so much. When I look at the statistics of people accepted to my school (and vet school in general) I’m reminded that everyone is exceptional. Everyone worked very hard to get here. And then I question if I deserve it. I’m normally a somewhat confident person so I really don’t know what’s wrong with me haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
For me the nerves have not set it and that worries me! I am only excited! I don’t have to move because I’ve been in EL for 5 years. That first week is going to hit me realll hard.

Reactions: 3 users
My VIN account was approved earlier!

I may never leave.

I LOVE playing around on VIN! I was asking a doctor at work questions and she went to check VIN and then said she thought I’d be able to create an account so I did!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m afraid of getting there and failing

I get you. Obviously. But gotta say that working on having an overall positive attitude and doing what you gotta do to stay happy will work wonders. You won't be happy all the time (you can't be in vet school). But recognizing when you need to decompress and focus on something else will help so much. Never be afraid to reach out for help.

You got this, girl!!!!:)

Reactions: 8 users
I’m not afraid of moving. I’ve picked up my life and moved many times, sometimes just a few hours away, sometimes to other countries. I’ve always lived somewhere warm or tropical so I think the mountains will be a nice change of scenery.

I’m afraid of getting there and failing. I know I’ve talked about this before and people have cautioned me on finding work/life balance but I think I’ll just be so scared of failing out that I’ll go into study overdrive. I’m intimidated by the fact that it won’t be as easy to be at the top of the class anymore. In undergrad there is a good mix of people. Some very motivated, some not so much. When I look at the statistics of people accepted to my school (and vet school in general) I’m reminded that everyone is exceptional. Everyone worked very hard to get here. And then I question if I deserve it. I’m normally a somewhat confident person so I really don’t know what’s wrong with me haha.
I won't be back in town until right before school starts (...and my capstone exam is on the first day of class lol), but PM me and we can meet up later that week and I'll make you feel better lol. Remember, if everyone is exceptional then that means you are too. Give yourself credit where it's due and acknowledge that you are part of these groups you're talking about for a reason.

A lot of success in veterinary school is about resetting your bar realistically and recognizing that many of your classmates are struggling with the same things. Pull other people up alongside you and they'll do the same for you in return. It's not about being in the top of the class, it's about being in the class. Focus on that experience, stay in the present, and keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times for the next four years. :)

Reactions: 11 users
Only 23 days left until the first day of vet school.... is anyone else counting down yet?! :D

Reactions: 7 users
Nope, just slightly panicking because there’s so little time of freedom left and I don’t know when I will see the sun next :hilarious:

Don't worry. You'll have to walk to and from parking on Lincoln everyday. You'll see the sun until about October or November.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So my school finally has our schedule up and we have some electives we can take. They have spanish for veterinarians-I'm totally geeking out over it. :soexcited:
I agree with dubz, that’s real neat. Although I’m not sure if I’d add more memorization onto what I’m told is memorizationpalooza if it were me!

Reactions: 1 users
So my school finally has our schedule up and we have some electives we can take. They have spanish for veterinarians-I'm totally geeking out over it. :soexcited:

Quite possibly won't know the *actual* schedule until the Saturday before classes start. Lol.

I agree with dubz, that’s real neat. Although I’m not sure if I’d add more memorization onto what I’m told is memorizationpalooza if it were me!
lol I already have 2 years of spanish from high school and college combined so hoping it won't be too bad. Since I stopped taking spanish in school (3 years ago) I often worked in a very heavily spanish speaking only population when I'm at the vet so I can understand about 1/3 to 1/2 of the spanish spoken in a complex situation. My understanding level is closer to 3/4 when they speak slowly and I ask question to clarify and the problem is farily simple. My proper speaking communication skills are probably at 1/3 or less-I'm more rusty than I'd like to admit and hardly ever use the right conjugation :( Regardless I can communicate enough to tell the tech or vet most of the time what their concern is and tell the client when to come back and get payment and contact information. What's nice about our electives at my school is they are more learning enhancing than exam kill you from what I've gathered from upper classmen. Little quizzes and smaller work loads than core classes-no finals, mostly no exams.

I had a nightmare last night that I accidentally clicked the wrong button on an email and had to repeat first year. :hilarious:

Reactions: 7 users

They offered this at my school with a heavy caveat that you know Spanish fairly well or almost fluent before signing up. Just check with your school, might be different.

22 days until orientation, 29 days until first day of classes, and 62 days until our white coat ceremony (which I just ordered my white coat for... aaaahhhh!!)
We also got our schedules/required items list sent to us!

I had a nightmare last night that I accidentally clicked the wrong button on an email and had to repeat first year. :hilarious:
I had a nightmare that I walked into class on the first day and it’s somehow mandatory to take Organic Chemistry III

And then decided that this wasn’t the right career choice for me and quit to fold jeans at the gap.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm teaching two lectures within the first two weeks of the school year at my institution. You all posting your countdowns makes me realize I need to get moving on finishing my lecture materials...luckily I did the exam questions today.

Reactions: 8 users
4 days until orientation, and 11 days until classes start for us!!

I had a nightmare that I walked into class on the first day and it’s somehow mandatory to take Organic Chemistry III

And then decided that this wasn’t the right career choice for me and quit to fold jeans at the gap.

I would do the same. I would 100% do the same (though I would work for Target cause the clothes!!!)

4 days until orientation, and 11 days until classes start for us!!

So gross.

Um
Like 22 days of partial freedom and like 29 days until no freedom

NOOOOOOOOOO

Moving in 4 days

Mini vacation in Aspen in 12 days

Orientation starts in 15 days

Coating ceremony in 19 days

1VM starts in 22 days

Psychological meltdown in approximately 36 days

Graduation in 1386 days

Living out my life long dream? Priceless.

Reactions: 18 users
That would be so useful. I consider myself fluent after living in Honduras for several years but I still didn’t know many medical words so I’d stay stuff like “gusano del corazón” because I have no idea how to say heartworm lol.

How many credits is everyone required to take the first semester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked and I have 21 credits for first semester lol. Total for the year is 41.

10 days until I move, 22 days until orientation/classes starting!

Had my last day at the vet clinic yesterday, and my last day at the rehab centre today. After Tuesday (last day at the tour company), I will be unemployed for the first time since I was 13!!

This is also my first Sunday afternoon/evening off in 3 years and I am so absolutely stoked for it.

I’m super jealous of you all with block schedules. I learn really well in that kind of set up. I have no idea what the curriculum at CSU will be like but I’m hoping it’s not too overwhelming.

I think I’d like block schedule too but I’m super interested in Western’s PBL approach. I like going through cases a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk