Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ate wild hog once- hubs’ brothers got a bunch on a hunt. I’m afraid to know what weird diseases they probably had...
Just kill them all with fire and never think about it

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I ate wild hog once- hubs’ brothers got a bunch on a hunt. I’m afraid to know what weird diseases they probably had...
My biggest question about feral boars in particular is how it tastes. People in the swine industry talk extensively about "boar taint" being a thing, because apparently intact male hogs taste like garbage, which is why they're generally neutered so young. It's in something like 20% of the meat from intact male finishing pigs

I do also feel like there are horrifying things you could definitely catch from feral hogs :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a final Friday and give 0 cares. Have yet to actually make it through all the material even once. Is it summer yet? :whistle:

Me Too! I simply don't care, so I went to Costco tonight for Dog Food rather than study. Best idea, probably not, but I had fun so, meh.

My biggest question about feral boars in particular is how it tastes. People in the swine industry talk extensively about "boar taint" being a thing, because apparently intact male hogs taste like garbage, which is why they're generally neutered so young. It's in something like 20% of the meat from intact male finishing pigs

I do also feel like there are horrifying things you could definitely catch from feral hogs :laugh:

It tasted kind of like a game-y pork. Tougher too. I have no idea if it was a boar or a sow though. This was in like, high school, so I had no idea and now that I’m wiser I just try not to think about it :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
It was real weird telling most of my classmates see you in August (maybe?) today.
Assuming we will be online through remainder of year since they have cancelled all large gatherings through April.

• Sad
I had a very soul-healing experience on a service trip this break and then came back to everything moving online due to coronavirus. Man this has been weird

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm rescuing us from the second page. How is everyone doing? I've worn pj's for over a week straight so far and have been steadily plucking away at my (online) classes at home. In the meantime, my older brother brought my mom some sets of lego to build while we self-isolate :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm rescuing us from the second page. How is everyone doing? I've worn pj's for over a week straight so far and have been steadily plucking away at my (online) classes at home. In the meantime, my older brother brought my mom some sets of lego to build while we self-isolate :rolleyes:
I'm lucky Animal Crossing just came out to keep me sane. I still have good contact with my friends and my school has been super supportive for everyone across the board. Now I just have to figure out how to keep up with therapy with all these crazy changes.
School online hasn't been too terrible; I fell a little behind while transitioning from spring break to all online, but since all our labs are cancelled I have a lot more wiggle room now.

More wiggle room for me also but have kept my child home all week so it feels like even less time to study. Daycares aren't closed here yet, but it seems weird to make her be our contact with the outside world. We also had a friend sheltering in place with us for a week so had help with childcare. We will see how it goes next week without our friend's help...

Been in PJs pretty consistently. Doing little things here and there, like trying to grocery shop, household chores, etc. as a “break” from school stuff. I suppose it’s working out okay, I’m also just insanely bored at home. But, then I say that and then one of my dogs needs an ER visit :hungover:

• Sad
I (unlike DRider) have done zip all for online classes. Except for studying day-before for exams as per usual.

I was having a bit of a rough time this week; I had a really hard time not being able to do my sports/work out and not seeing my friends all of the time. I'm so used to being overbooked and stressed about how overbooked I am, that no longer having that made me incredibly anxious. I was being a little bad about actually self-isolating and was still going to my best friend's place every day. We decided last night we should stop, so I'm now just at my place 24/7.

I started to get a bit more of a routine going yesterday, so I'm much happier now. Luckily my roommate is also here so I have company (otherwise I would actually go insane). Doing home workouts and I'm going to start running again as a way to get out of the house. Also have been spending more time cooking and making fancier meals which has been kind of fun. I haven't played with my camera since before vet school, so I've been working on getting back into portraiture as another little hobby to keep me occupied.

Reactions: 6 users
Found out today that my mom might drive from my hometown to come get me and bring me home. Right now I can't leave because I have no way to get my cats home with me. So pending weather/new policies/etc, I will be home by the end of next week. My summer employment told me they would welcome me starting part-time right away until I'm done school for the year, which would be good. Since it is an emerg/specialty hospital, they are still in need of staffing.

Has anyone else not heard back about Banfield sjp yet? I'm guessing there's a slim chance of them actually letting students in the clinic with the current state of events but I heard back early March of last year.

Broseppies, If I'm rollin' on the streets and someone's like yo, what be the dose of, I don't know ethylene G, or aspirin or whatever for diggity dogs and I was like, damn son, I don't even DON'T EVEN for realio!

What it do? Is there some online Plum thing (I assume it's prolly paid access) but VIN? Something else we can look up drug dosages and all that good stuff?

You can eff right on off with your use the forum search bull**** or better yet, ****ing say that **** to my face when Corona is over, d*ck he*d

• Haha
Broseppies, If I'm rollin' on the streets and someone's like yo, what be the dose of, I don't know ethylene G, or aspirin or whatever for diggity dogs and I was like, damn son, I don't even DON'T EVEN for realio!

What it do? Is there some online Plum thing (I assume it's prolly paid access) but VIN? Something else we can look up drug dosages and all that good stuff?

You can eff right on off with your use the forum search bull**** or better yet, ****ing say that **** to my face when Corona is over, d*ck he*d
There's a formulary on VIN, not super easily searchable as you already have to have a medication and use in mind when you're looking for it imo. I think Plumb's has an online/app version as well.

Unfortunately dosing is one of those things you get a better feel for the more you use it/do it, and also dosing ranges can be absolutely wild and very context dependent, so choosing can be difficult. I also wouldn't really trust the dosing recommendations for exotics in Plumb's at least - you'll probably get a better feel for that looking through papers, exotics-specific formularies, or sites like lafebervet.com (by the way, you get a free account for this as a student and it's a SUPER useful exotics resource).

There's a formulary on VIN, not super easily searchable as you already have to have a medication and use in mind when you're looking for it imo. I think Plumb's has an online/app version as well.

Unfortunately dosing is one of those things you get a better feel for the more you use it/do it, and also dosing ranges can be absolutely wild and very context dependent, so choosing can be difficult. I also wouldn't really trust the dosing recommendations for exotics in Plumb's at least - you'll probably get a better feel for that looking through papers, exotics-specific formularies, or sites like lafebervet.com (by the way, you get a free account for this as a student and it's a SUPER useful exotics resource).
Thanks for all this!! :)

Echoing the above re: VIN. I use VIN’s formulary for dose questions (or drug choices/ideas) and always search extensively for exotics dosing there as the “in practice/million years of experience” doses can be quite different from the printed stuff and we all know nothing will ever not be off-label for them anyway.

Plumbs online is available free through our school library so definitely check there first before buying but i heard the app is like $5-10 for students otherwise

Echoing the above re: VIN. I use VIN’s formulary for dose questions (or drug choices/ideas) and always search extensively for exotics dosing there as the “in practice/million years of experience” doses can be quite different from the printed stuff and we all know nothing will ever not be off-label for them anyway.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Plumb's at least has some stuff on there that just basically isn't even used anymore as well

Honestly I feel like half of "walking around knowledge" for exotics dosing is knowing how to dose alfaxalone to the various critters :laugh:

• Haha
Plumbs online is available free through our school library so definitely check there first before buying but i heard the app is like $5-10 for students otherwise
Oh fo real doe, dass niiice! I need to see if VIN has a phone app and that kind of info is readily/easily pulled up as well. Plumb's, man, that **** cracks me up on the daily. Looking up medications, and they be straight separate catergorying a hedgehog.

Oh fo real doe, dass niiice! I need to see if VIN has a phone app and that kind of info is readily/easily pulled up as well. Plumb's, man, that **** cracks me up on the daily. Looking up medications, and they be straight separate catergorying a hedgehog.
I can’t remember what drug I was looking up but I found one with a specific dose for polar bears...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
4 more exams. It will be bitter sweet. While I have strongly disliked forced online learning-I'm just not a home learner, the occasional lecture sure, but definitely feeling like I'm not retaining info as well even though I'm still doing ok school wise. While I'm glad that school will be out for summer, exams at least gave me something to work towards to help pass the time persay with all that's going on. Might go crazy after I finish school...

In the meantime just procrastinating studying for finals by doing course evals:rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 users
4 more exams. It will be bitter sweet. While I have strongly disliked forced online learning-I'm just not a home learner, the occasional lecture sure, but definitely feeling like I'm not retaining info as well even though I'm still doing ok school wise. While I'm glad that school will be out for summer, exams at least gave me something to work towards to help pass the time persay with all that's going on. Might go crazy after I finish school...

In the meantime just procrastinating studying for finals by doing course evals:rolleyes:
I somewhat feel the same, but I have racked up a list of movies and shows I want to watch and games I want to play/finish, so I will have a lot to do this summer!
I am hoping that I'll be able to start volunteering and shadowing at clinics again soon though. I miss the medicine

Does anyone else feel like you have to re-discover your hobbies in the summer? Like, you kinda just forget that there are things you actually like to do for fun lol

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone else feel like you have to re-discover your hobbies in the summer? Like, you kinda just forget that there are things you actually like to do for fun lol

I feel you. I'm about to see how rusty my writing's gotten over the last year ;)

I feel you. I'm about to see how rusty my writing's gotten over the last year ;)

Oh boy, good luck!! What kind of writing? I tried to read a novel for fun and it felt like my imagination was broken. :whistle:

Oh boy, good luck!! What kind of writing? I tried to read a novel for fun and it felt like my imagination was broken. :whistle:

I write a little bit of everything, mostly novels, but I do dabble in screenplays (original movies and television series) too. And yeah, writing is actually super hard. I really only seem to have AMAZING inspiration during finals week. Because, of course my brain decides that's the best time to put together complex story lines. o_O

Reactions: 3 users
I write a little bit of everything, mostly novels, but I do dabble in screenplays (original movies and television series) too. And yeah, writing is actually super hard. I really only seem to have AMAZING inspiration during finals week. Because, of course my brain decides that's the best time to put together complex story lines. o_O
I wrote a novel during first year (NaNoWriMo!) and may have finished it the night before a physio final...do not advise

• Haha
Five days and six finals left.

I can get the motivation to get this done. (Now I gotta go learn a semester's worth of systemic path in two days :whistle:)

I wrote a novel during first year (NaNoWriMo!) and may have finished it the night before a physio final...do not advise

Oof NaNoWriMo is hard. Especially during finals :)

I finished my last normal final today; now for one straight week of nothing but Avian medicine!
As much as I like birds, I am so tired

I finished my last normal final today; now for one straight week of nothing but Avian medicine!
As much as I like birds, I am so tired
That's always been rough. Too many hours in a row of birds birds and more birds. Take advantage of the breaks and get away from the bird slides whenever you can. Good luck!

Sent from my phone using the mobile app because I bought it and I'm stubborn

I would have loved to have a whole week of bird learning :( was just talking to someone who is doing a whole reptile block too. Some people have all the luck!
We have an exotic animal practice lecture in it too that I'm excited about! I wish this class was during the normal semester so I could be on break already but I shouldn't complain too much. I already had 11 classes at once; I appreciate being able to focus on this since I care about it.

I am super sad every time the recorded lecturers mention the labs- freshly euthanized poultry to get really good necropsy practice on, a whole live animal bird lab :cryi: We're missing so much

• Sad
The one thing you’re not missing is the smeeeeellllllll :rofl:
Oh god you just reminded me of the last day of anatomy lab where we dissect fresh (actually frozen for several weeks) chickens. My friends’ group got one that I guess had egg yolk peritonitis and it was purulent and smelly and honestly the worst day of their lives.