Class of 2022...how you doin'?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I always felt that way at the start (and middle...and end...) of a semester, even being in person! But I do find zoom lectures particularly tiring. Have not done the best job paying attention in my PhD classes so far.
Halfway through week two and yes, very tired all the time. I don't mind online learning since I am all about the 2x speed button, but since some of our more intense courses are in limbo right now (recorded but we can't see them because they're transitioning to our platform?) we've all been wide-eyed and super unsure on what to do. The whole class is about six lectures behind :dead:
Hi hello it has been a week and a half for me and I have been tired since 10 am last Monday

Good to know! I really prefer having the 2x speed button and hardly went to class in-person anyway... but I'm finding myself more tired than usual despite not really doing anything (which is probs the problem) :sleep:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else just so tired? I assume it’s because of online/at-home learning, but it’s only day 3 of 3rd year for me and I’m EXHAUSTED.
Same. I've made the mistake of trying to start a somewhat intense exercise program and getting back to donating plasma all at once as school has started and it kicked my behind.

78.5 minutes of materials for a 50 minute slot.

2F9F2755-1F87-456B-8915-537967A8EDED.jpeg

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"But it's online, so I can go over my time slot and no one complains!" -70% of professors
Try three professors giving therio lectures over estrous cycle management/syncing in a 50 minute slot.
One of my friends has already emailed the course coordinator because this has happened multiple times in the past two weeks and we are not fine

Anyone else just so tired? I assume it’s because of online/at-home learning, but it’s only day 3 of 3rd year for me and I’m EXHAUSTED.
YES.

First year I was tired just because of dissecting for 9 hours a week on top of lectures. I’m at that same level of tiredness now just trying to pay attention to 4-5 hours of lectures a day. Been taking a siesta pretty much every day on top of sleeping for 7-8 hours!

Reactions: 3 users
Try three professors giving therio lectures over estrous cycle management/syncing in a 50 minute slot.
One of my friends has already emailed the course coordinator because this has happened multiple times in the past two weeks and we are not fine

Two of our profs decided to give neuro lectures together at the same time... but they always interrupt each other and one of them never turns off her phone, so you hear ducks quacking throughout the whole lecture.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This just in. A prof put up her lecture in her one hour time-slot.

It's two hours long. Whhhhhhy o_O

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
YES.

First year I was tired just because of dissecting for 9 hours a week on top of lectures. I’m at that same level of tiredness now just trying to pay attention to 4-5 hours of lectures a day. Been taking a siesta pretty much every day on top of sleeping for 7-8 hours!

YES! I'm struggling to pay attention after like 45 minute of lecture. I've decided I'll start going on walks in the early morning and drink more tea... see if that helps any. I think the lack of socialization doesn't help much!

Reactions: 1 users
Started trying to schedule rotations this week but am nervous about those OOS and how big COVID may be during that time. How are others handling the unknown right now? I'm considering making a list of IS locations that I can substitute as needed.

Started trying to schedule rotations this week but am nervous about those OOS and how big COVID may be during that time. How are others handling the unknown right now? I'm considering making a list of IS locations that I can substitute as needed.
We havent had any scheduling lectures yet but honestly I'm looking to do more rotations out of my state in a state that has more relaxed covid guidance so I can actually get them done. We have shelter rotations at 3 different sites. They had to shuffle everyone that was supposed to do the Seattle rotation to the school and Boise rotations. So I think it totally is school and state dependent how to deal with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
During my surgical skills evaluation today the surgeon took one look at my fingernails and told me I’m going to get crypto or parvo in 4th year...

ETA: I chew the hell out of my fingernails. I wash my hands a lot I swear. :laugh:

Last edited:
We had our first live surgeries this week! Intubating our sheep basically just involved me blindly poking my ET tube around because I couldn't see a single thing lol. I was also thankful that my sheep was not a drooly mess, unlike some of the others.

We had our first live surgeries this week! Intubating our sheep basically just involved me blindly poking my ET tube around because I couldn't see a single thing lol. I was also thankful that my sheep was not a drooly mess, unlike some of the others.
Good job! Ruminants in general can be hard to intubate. I feel like I basically just shoved my whole hand in there until I felt the laryngeal opening and then shoved the tube in lol

You know those exams where everyone walks out going "well that just happened"?

I'm really grateful I didn't waste my whole weekend studying because I could have done nothing but study and I have no doubts my grade would have been identical.

I'm dying the see the average, I think we might have set a new low record! :hilarious:

I'm really grateful I didn't waste my whole weekend studying because I could have done nothing but study and I have no doubts my grade would have been identical.

I'm dying the see the average, I think we might have set a new low record! :hilarious:
We had a test like this last week lol. It made for some great memes in our class page both before and after :laugh:

I am so frustrated y'all. Full on passed out during our biopsy lab today and 100% took all precautionary measures to prevent it (water, food, proper sleep, did not lock knees, etc) because of my history. Why does this keep happening :dead:.

• Sad
@Amanasoul not sure your full story, do videos do it for you too? Maybe you can help desensitize yourself that way? Just trying to think of ways to help! :)

Nah, I'm fairly certain it's something medical-related because it has absolutely nothing to do with surgery/procedures (I've seen and done enough to know that much). Once my schedule calms down I'm going in for some tests. I just posted out of a combination between frustration and embarrassment (since there's nothing quite like half your class watching you hit the floor ;) )

• Care
Nah, I'm fairly certain it's something medical-related because it has absolutely nothing to do with surgery/procedures (I've seen and done enough to know that much). Once my schedule calms down I'm going in for some tests. I just posted out of a combination between frustration and embarrassment (since there's nothing quite like half your class watching you hit the floor ;) )
Hoping you get it figured out!

I have neuro-cardio syncope and fainted during my first day ever shadowing (and several other times before and after). I hope you get your answers soon!

The verdict is in! Class average was a glorious 63%. :rofl:

For reference our normal class averages are usually between 75% and 80%.

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Our class would freak out when we had averages as low as the high eighties. (This is not normal even for here my class is just crazy)
I think the grading systems are different too. We don’t get letter grades (just a %), but an 85% would usually be an A. 80% is typically an A- and 90% an A+ at schools that do +/-.

ETA: a lot if schools give letter grades or GPAs, just my individual school chooses not to give anything other than a percent. I think those numbers are pretty standard across Canadian schools though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I like your system better

Same. We still technically get letters, but everything is based off our percentage. We do the 90+ for As, 80 for B, etc though

Reactions: 1 user
I have neuro-cardio syncope and fainted during my first day ever shadowing (and several other times before and after). I hope you get your answers soon!

I have been tentatively diagnosed with the same thing. Waiting on other tests to come back, but it's looking like that's my answer.

I have been tentatively diagnosed with the same thing. Waiting on other tests to come back, but it's looking like that's my answer.

My tilt table test was what finally definitively diagnosed me after 5 fainting spells over 4 years. Havent fainted once since my diagnosis, so good luck! If you need a fainting buddy, I got you!

• Care
Did my pre-op PE today. Tomorrow I’m doing my very first spay! :wideyed:
’Twas a success! :soexcited:

Shoutout to my body for giving me one of the worst chronic pain flare-ups ever before my surgery. Managing to work through that before my pain meds kicked in made surgery seem in comparison waaaaay less nerve wracking.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Taking endocrine tips between now and Sunday night :whistle:

Big oof. Wish I could help but I'm still recovering from our big endocrine/GI exam that we had yesterday ;)

Diabetes is not ideal.
Cats hyperthyroidism. Unless it tiny kitten. Then hypothyroid. Like dog.
Pancreas angry. Not ideal.
Ferrets get insulinomas. Not ideal.
That’s all I’ve got for you sorry.

Okay but these some pro tips right here. And about all I remember post-exam :laugh:

Taking endocrine tips between now and Sunday night :whistle:

They make 0 sense until you see it in real life.

Hypoadreno: no stress leukogram even if they actively dying
Hyperadreno: big adrenal glands
Hypothy: doggos that are naked. Thyroxine. (side-story: my dad's dachshund-chihuahua mix was taken in for being weird due to a decrease in "wags per minute" as stated by my dad)
Hyperthy: cattos that are skinny. I-131 treatment. May have masked underlying renal disease.
Diabetes mellitus: the betes where they PU/PD or DKA when they come in; no in between.
Diabetes insipidus: the othere betes where ADH is weird.
Right side adrenal tumors: bad news bears cause that caudal vena cava.

That's what I got. Sorry if I'm wrong. Please tell me if I'm wrong. :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Adding: hypoadreno hypoNa/hyperK leading to bradycardia even though hypovolemic
Also hyperadreno all the P's: pu/pd/pp/potbellied/panting, esp in small white fluffs

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Put together your big clinical signs to figure out where they're leading you, especially things that logically don't go together (e.g. polyphagia and weight loss or no change in appetite and weight gain)

I am dumb and need lots of mnemonics and memory devices. Here's a few from boards studying

PU/PDpolyphagiaweight changecoat changesother
Hyperthyroidyesyeslossunthrifty coatthyroid slip, a n g e r y, kidney dz might be in the vents, check for secondary hypertension!
Hypothyroidnonogaincoat dull, may be alopeciarule out euthyroid sick
Cushing'syesyesgainBALDCushing's pushes ALP in panting, pot belly dogs. Cushing's is crunchy (calcinosis cutis)
Addison'syesnono change to lossnot reallyGet stressy then get depressy. :( looks like everything. High K Kills your heart and will kill your patient.
Diabetesyesyeslossmeh, usually more unthrifty than anything but can be baldishDogs: cataracts. Almost always insulin dependent
Cats: plantigrade, litter stuck to paws. Insulin resistant, big head, azotemic - might be acromegaly. Can go into remission within ~6 months of dx in some cases

DKA is bad nooz. Look for dem ketones in the pee. Also fix their lytes before you fix their sugars!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
thyroid slip, a n g e r y, kidney dz might be in the vents, check for secondary hypertension!
We had one at the clinic present for going acutely blind about a week ago, boss saw her...

you could legit see the detached retina without a scope. It was the most classic hypertensive hyperthyroid cat I've ever seen. Don't remember the exact pressures, but systolic was 220. :scared:

• Wow